Minor plot hole with darth vader

Vektarulz

Lets forget his fall to the darkside that took 3 seconds(mace windu's death,go watch that scene again and listen to the dialogue its kinda silly)

What im bringing up here i hadent realy thought about,i used to wonder why our good friend Vader couldent use lightning,apprentley some canonized book explains that he had 2 robotic arms,therefore he could not channel the force through his arms,thats cool and interesting! so sorry for vader realy but heres the problem....he still can use force choke and a saber...well lets not count the lightsaber that ***** a deep deep plot hole to

(many sources say the reason you cant just pick up and use a jedi's saber is because only sith and jedi use the force and the force is needed to channel it)

COUGH GREVIOUS COUGH

Edited by Vektarulz

If your first language isn't English I apologize in advance for saying: Good grammar is your friend.

Anyway, firstly, Vader could still use the Force, it is specifically lightning that requires your organic arms to be used as a channel. The Force itself is a different story.

Second, non-Force users are perfectly capable of using a lightsaber, however, only Force users have the reflexes to use them as effectively as they. With Grevious being a cyborg, I imaging he has safeties preventing him from cutting himself.

So, no, these are not plot holes.

If your first language isn't English I apologize in advance for saying: Good grammar is your friend.

Anyway, firstly, Vader could still use the Force, it is specifically lightning that requires your organic arms to be used as a channel. The Force itself is a different story.

Second, non-Force users are perfectly capable of using a lightsaber, however, only Force users have the reflexes to use them as effectively as they. With Grevious being a cyborg, I imaging he has safeties preventing him from cutting himself.

There is misinformation in lore though,there is a book considered canon saying that is the reason he cannot use lightning and it is explained in kotor 1 you cannot just pick up a saber yet many people within canon lore who dont use the force do,and vader clearly uses choke Its Cannon lore saying the other are wrong and that's why its a plot hole

Edited by Vektarulz

He can still use the Force just fine. Him using lightning would short out his robot arms.

Many non-Force users have used lightsabers. Pre Vizsla used a darksaber which is a form of lightsaber. Boba Fett used a lightsaber in a battle or two.

Also his fall to the darkside, didn't happen in 3 seconds...if you actually watched the movies you see he is already falling.

This.

Also, its not a plot hole, it is common sense. If you have two robot arms of technology, how is conducting lightning through them helpful? Vader has to manipulate the force into polar energies that create an electrical current from him to another person, using his arms as the tool to direct it at his opponent. Explain to me how it is safe for a cyborg to shoot lightning that is probably dozens of volts stronger than most technology, considering you are using emotion and the Force to power it, without blowing the circuits to your said robotic arms?

Also his fall to the darkside, didn't happen in 3 seconds...if you actually watched the movies you see he is already falling.

I know,kills tusken raiders,mad about padme has a few fits of rage in diffrent events but watch the final scene before it happens again ''YOU MUST BE DSTOPPED EMPEROR,YOUR A TRAITOR!( still not evil derp) NO DONT KILL HIM WINDU HE NEEDS TO STAND TRIAL(still not evil derp) I KILLED MACE FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE LAW!(STILL not evil)

Emperor:thankyou anakin your now evil

anakin:OH OK SWEET BRO!

I sorry i just dont feel the third movie was that good :p some awsome parts but dialogue wise and such not so much

Edited by Vektarulz

I know,kills tusken raiders,mad about padme has a few fits of rage in diffrent events but watch the final scene before it happens again ''YOU MUST BE DSTOPPED EMPEROR,YOUR A TRAITOR!( still not evil derp) NO DONT KILL HIM WINDU HE NEEDS TO STAND TRIAL(still not evil derp) I KILLED MACE FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE LAW!(STILL not evil)

I sorry i just dont feel the third movie was that good :p some awsome parts but dialogue wise and such not so much

You realize he was manipulated yes?

There is misinformation in lore though,there is a book considered canon saying that is the reason he cannot use lightning and it is explained in kotor 1 you cannot just pick up a saber yet many people within canon lore who dont use the force do,and vader clearly uses choke Its Cannon lore saying the other are wrong and that's why its a plot hole

In KotOR, it is explained that inserting the crystal into the lightsaber requires Force affinity - not picking it up. Many throughout lore have picked up lightsabers and used them without using the Force.

Zhar Lestin describes the process of inserting the crystal into the lightsaber that requires you to use the Force, and is rather surprised when it was done almost perfectly on Revan's first attempt.

Yeah of course he was im just saying hes good and still following the republic laws then the second mace windu dies he just gives up

Remember his contemplation before facing Windu. To him, the death of Sidious is also the death of his wife - and so the regret begins about sending the Jedi to arrest him. This selfish decision comes as the culmination of brash and pompous decisions on his part throughout the Clone Wars and even before.

He also follows the impulsive, manipulated murder by exclaiming, "What have I done!" He is left with little other choice than to join Sidious after killing a Mace Windu - and it falls into his interests of saving Padmé.

Futhermore, he did this mostly to save his wife, not to take over the galaxy. He justifies it later on, making himself believe what he is doing is the right thing. Once Padmé is dead, he is left with nothing else but to assume his role with Sidious. He soon embraces his strength in the dark-side and his new powers, but that doesn't mean there aren't parts of him that wish Sidious dead, as we see later.

Edited by Ravager

I don't know how to respond

Anakin fall to the darkside was not a quick and simple one. The emperor played Anakin well. The Jedi had as much of a hand in Anakin fall to Darkside as the Emperor did. Now don't get me wrong Anakin has no one to blame but himself.

In one Star Wars Magazines it was stated the reason that Anakin was so hell bent on becoming a Jedi Master was so that he can get access to restricted teachings that only a Jedi Master would have access to. When council refuse to make him a Master he begin to turn towards the Emperor (granted he wasn't emperor yet). The final blow came when he started feeling shut out, they did not choice him to go after General Grevious.

He made the choice to go to the Darkside to save Padma nothing more nothing less. I think Anakin believed that he could go over to the darkside and remain who and what he was. I don't think he wanted to ever be evil I think he only wanted to save his wife. When you get right down to it Love destroyed him but in the end it is love that saved him. I think if he hadn't gone over to the darkside because he loved Padma so much that he was will to do anything to save her that he would have been able to go back to being a good person, he would been lost for good.

Also I don't believe that Anakin truly became Darth Vader till he found out his wife was dead. I think when he found out his wife was dead and that his visions came true and that he was to blame he virtually died and was reborn and became Lord Vader. I don't think Vader would have ever challanged emperor had he not found out about his son.

Really when you look at ep 6 Vader picks up right were Anakin left off in EP 3. He tried to get Luke to join him and rule the galaxy.

In the end as I said it was cause of love that drove him to the darkside but it was loved that saved him in the end.

Several arcs of Clone Wars episodes deal with Anakin's brushes with the dark side, so it really starts long before that fight. That was simply the point of no return for him.

As for the lightsaber issue, it's completely fine for a Force user to use one. Han Solo did so in Ep 5. Granted it's just to slice open the tauntaun, but still...

Edited by bmhale

The problem wasn't the third movie, it was the ridiculous pacing of the first two. They could have done away with The Phantom Menace altogether, started with Anakin as a teenage Padawan to set the stage, and basically done the events of ROTS over two movies.

It seemed rushed in ROTS because Lucas spent the first two movies screwing around with CGI Gungans and wisecracking Battle Droids instead of advancing the story.

Edited by -kobie-

Whether or not killing Mace Windu for not following the Law is not the point. How does it look to kill the second in command of the Jedi Order? Mace Windu was practically a Grand Master. Even if he didn't do the killing blow, this does not look good.

The other thing you have to understand is these are movies over a... like 20 year period. Anakin's fall to the Darkside is not FULLY explained because George Lucas only made 3 movies. Besides, we don't need to much of that. It completely explains in the movies just fine that Anakin iis falling to the dark side. Yes, that scene felt a little rushed. But the movie was long enough, sometimes you have to rush it. Besides, the scene with him deciding what to do (while in the Jedi chamber) doesn't explain what Anakin is feeling. By the time he's running for the speeder to stop Mace Windu from killing Palpatine, he was committed. This wasn't a "I'm still a Jedi!" "Rise Darth Vader" "Oh never mind." By the time he climbed into that speeder and rushed to save Palpatine, he was darth vader.

You need to think about the story as an ENTIRE picture. Not just the few minutes George Lucas actually shows you.

The way I see it, lightning is not the ultimate use of power for a Sith. Sure, it looks bad *** and when Sidious did it that was pretty cool. But you notice not every person has to shoot lightning out their fingers to be a force adept. If you dig into that story more (especially return of the Jedi and Episode 3) you will realize that Darth Sidious was keeping Darth Vader alive. I'm compeltely convinced of this, despite reading on all the wiki's that vaders suit shorted out from the force lightning.

Think of it... "You don't know the power of the dark side. I MUST obey my master." Why must he? Darth Vader has been trying to out Sidious since Padme died. "The dark side of the force is a powerful aid to many abilities, some considered to be unnatural." I'm completely convinced that with Anakin's strength in the force, Sidious needed Anakin to unlock this secret of the force. I don't believe this was just a trick to get Anakin to the dark side. "Help me take this mask off." "But you'll die." "Nothing... can stop that now." Sidious gone... Darth Vader (Anakin by that point, rather) was dead. No, I'm pretty certain Sidious tries to control his apprentices so that he can outlive the rule of two.

To me, that's a more powerful and fitting ending to one of history's greatest (fictional) heroe/villain. Makes Episode 3 along with Return of the Jedi the most enjoyable Star Wars films.

Edited by Bewoulff

Without getting into all the details.... you have to ignore some of the "canon." It's not all coherent and it doesn't all fit together even when it's approved by LucasArts. Go with what you like and ignore the rest. I know there's a fair amount that I've seen and just thought "that's stupid" or "that contradicts this" and just decided to ignore it.

Worst plot hole I saw was in Empire Strikes Back when Han has the cuffs on, but when he comes up as a carbonite slab, the cuffs are nowhere to be seen and his hands are up in a NOOOOOOOOOO pose. He also has an expression on his face like he really needs to take a dump.... and with NO BATHROOMS in any of the ships, or on Cloud City for that matter, that part didn't surprise me. :p

Without getting into all the details.... you have to ignore some of the "canon." It's not all coherent and it doesn't all fit together even when it's approved by LucasArts. Go with what you like and ignore the rest. I know there's a fair amount that I've seen and just thought "that's stupid" or "that contradicts this" and just decided to ignore it.

Thats why i was so confused,some of these guys gave completley logical reasons why what i said is not a plot hole,i understand what there talken about it and accept but as i said in a earlier post there is disinformation where some cannon material contradicts others wich is why i was confused lol

Worst plot hole I saw was in Empire Strikes Back when Han has the cuffs on, but when he comes up as a carbonite slab, the cuffs are nowhere to be seen and his hands are up in a NOOOOOOOOOO pose. He also has an expression on his face like he really needs to take a dump.... and with NO BATHROOMS in any of the ships, or on Cloud City for that matter, that part didn't surprise me. :p

The Ugnaugts remove the cuffs as they position him to be frozen. Now the thing attached to his triceps that goes around his back was not removed and we see no sign of that when he is thawed in Episode 6.

The Ugnaugts remove the cuffs as they position him to be frozen. Now the thing attached to his triceps that goes around his back was not removed and we see no sign of that when he is thawed in Episode 6.

Theory: the upper-arm cuffs linked behind his back are MADE of carbonite. So when he's thawed out, they're just melted along with the rest of the carbonite around him. Carbonite freezing seems somewhat common (it was used in The Clone Wars for the Jedi & clones to infiltrate the Citadel prison, and it protected the government of Taris when bombarded by Malak), the main risk would be in 'crude' facilities like the one in Cloud City. But if it's fairly common, carbonite cuffs would be a good way of keeping prisoners bound for the process. They'd probably just be thawed in whatever cell they were deposited in, so no need for cuffs afterward.

dont count game mechanics as lore or canon... because well they arent.

also, grievous had implants to help him get an edge in lightsaber combat.

Lets forget his fall to the darkside that took 3 seconds(mace windu's death,go watch that scene again and listen to the dialogue its kinda silly)

Nope, sorry. His descent into darkness started way before that.

Which book are you referring to?