How do you rp?

Tfranco

I'm being genuine here. I am interested in trying out rping. I know you use ooc to show your talking out of character but I'm still stuck in the how to do it part. Like talk like my class? Or what? Not sure how to go about it.

It's quite simple really. Think up an original character. Then say and do stuff your character would say and do.

Also, remember. Your character is not your character from your class story.

Edited by DaWaffle

I would write a brief history. Where you came from. what likes/dislikes. what life irony placed you where you are now.

From that point you can add things from the starter world at least to help flesh out a story line.

as for speaking like your class..... Trooper= marine(any war movie really) Jedi (Luke Skywalker learning about the force. Imperial Agent= high ranking officer. Sith=angry all the time wishing to hurt others who dont bow to your will.

Just use things that match up in real life as a pattern to in game class.

When you have somewhere to start you have somewhere to go. the more you RP the more of yourself you put into it.

I play my Bounty Hunter (as of now) more like Indiana Jones. Laugh at danger. willing to chase anything down man or beast for the thrill of the hunt and the little golden statue. Thats just my personality.

Sometimes you just need to stop thinking so much and just jump in!

This is my op and how I go about it.

My toon is Krysun BH on Sanctum of the Exalted and I play fri & sat nights 10-2am est. pst me if you want to rp a bit or just chat.

Good Luck!

I'm being genuine here. I am interested in trying out rping. I know you use ooc to show your talking out of character but I'm still stuck in the how to do it part. Like talk like my class? Or what? Not sure how to go about it.

The easiest way I can think of to 'learn' how to RP is:

Step 1 - Pick a favorite character from a book, movie, TV show, etc. Example: Gandalf.

Step 2 - Change up that character to not be obviously who their influence is, and to fit the world you are playing in. Example: Gandalf as a wise old Jedi Sage.

Step 3 - Improvise. Don't worry about your background so much, make it up as you go. Example: Simple. Brush off questions about your background, or just be very vague in your responses.

You are picking a character you know well enough to imagine in a SW world, not so much an actual copy of that character. The character you end up creating may only be 10% Gandalf at the end, but it is a good tool to use that can help you visualize the character better. You aren't playing Gandalf the Jedi, you are playing a guy pretty much like what Gandalf would be if he were a Star Wars character. Oh, and don't call him Obi-Wan, someone took that already.

My first roleplaying character was pretty much how I would imagine myself with a Jamaican accent. A later one I made was given my sister's personality. Roleplaying is exactly like acting, only you set your own role and play your own director.

Roleplaying is exactly like acting, only you set your own role and play your own director.

Pretty much this. Except other people also have their own roles and their own directors. For me, it's the improvisational collaboration among players, each with their own unique character, that's the most fun.

Lol this all reminds me of back in my youth when i use to take part in LARP (live action role play) we would do the same think up a character then buy stupidly expensive armour and rubber foam weapons i.e swords sheilds axes spears bows and arrows and run around in forests completing quests and stuff.

Lol this all reminds me of back in my youth when i use to take part in LARP (live action role play) we would do the same think up a character then buy stupidly expensive armour and rubber foam weapons i.e swords sheilds axes spears bows and arrows and run around in forests completing quests and stuff.

I did the same but in a VTM setting (Vampire the Masquarade). We rented a whole party centrum for that. :D However we did have a Storyteller around who made the setting and we LARPED with our characters in that setting.

SWTOR online s pretty much the same for me. TOR is the Storyteller (when I'm solo) and the Guild leader is Storyteller in Guild RP and I play my character fitting in that story. (note as someone else pointed out, I dont use class stories when RP-ing solo)

Best is to look into some lore of the TOR era and come up with a character fitting in that lore setting. (I kinda hate when someone RP's something in a TOR era that happens few 1000 years later, the same way I dislike people walking around with names as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in this game)..

I have to admit, this online RPing I am finding difficult. Never having the inclination in any other MMO to even try.

I am of the pen & paper AD&D brigade, from back when a Commodore 64 was cutting edge technology & it took a week of programing to make a turtle draw a circle. :eek:

The character background & everything I have before I even create my characters, it is the actual mechanics in game I am having trouble with.

Had a look at the RP night, & could not work out whom was saying what to whom. :t_confused:

How does it work?

8-)

I have to admit, this online RPing I am finding difficult. Never having the inclination in any other MMO to even try.

I am of the pen & paper AD&D brigade, from back when a Commodore 64 was cutting edge technology & it took a week of programing to make a turtle draw a circle. :eek:

The character background & everything I have before I even create my characters, it is the actual mechanics in game I am having trouble with.

Had a look at the RP night, & could not work out whom was saying what to whom. :t_confused:

How does it work?

8-)

Yeah this part is hard especially without chatbubbles ingame. If someone is not using the /em *insert random line with name it's adressed to* I also have difficulties understanding what's what and to whom they speak.

It's even harder when some only use /say ..with the custom emote thing /em atleast the text appears as a lovely thick bright orange line.

Edited by Kirameki

It's even harder when some only use /say ..with the custom emote thing /em atleast the text appears as a lovely thick bright orange line.

People roleplaying in cross-faction areas (such as the Nar Shaddaa cantina) often choose to use /say, with emotes offset by asterisks (* *), because players of the opposite faction are unable to see custom emotes. Putting emotes into /say allows all RPers in the area to observe and participate in the conversation, regardless of faction.

Yeah this part is hard especially without chatbubbles ingame. If someone is not using the /em *insert random line with name it's adressed to* I also have difficulties understanding what's what and to whom they speak.

you can customize the colors of different types of chat items by right-clicking on the chat tab. then go in and right-click on the specific channel that you wish to make unique. I did it with my say channel and it helps out a bit. :)

but situational awareness and having nameplates floating above characters helps too ;)

I would think that chat bubbles would visually clutter up the scene if they were implemented in high traffic areas like cantinas, and thus harder to engage in conversations... but that's just me. :eek:

Edited by Tash_Verano
adding more text

you can customize the colors of different types of chat items by right-clicking on the chat tab. then go in and right-click on the specific channel that you wish to make unique. I did it with my say channel and it helps out a bit. :)

but situational awareness and having nameplates floating above characters helps too ;)

I would think that chat bubbles would visually clutter up the scene if they were implemented in high traffic areas like cantinas, and thus harder to engage in conversations... but that's just me. :eek:

I'm on a very heavy server. If everyone is using say it also totally clutters. BW should come up with a specific system for RP. Plus nameplates and social awareness does nothing to people whom speak random without adressing anyone specific. Some people simply lack the sense of adressing someone in person instead of going "hey you". I once entered a cantina where someone said "hey sith what brings you here" without proper adressing. There were 40+sith in the cantina. :D

Maybe a RP tag which opens new options to communicate.

Edited by Kirameki

• 2 weeks later...
Somtimes the apperance can be a helpful degree aswell, as in a beard, /Me Stroke my beard with wisdom. It would come up with for example: 'Kaios strokes his beard with wisdom'. Even though you may not be wise in real life, spread it out with different personality's EG: 'Kaios stroked his beard with wisdom while Fesoj recited the jedi code fluently. ect. One of your characters would be a total nerd while the other one just kills people. Although I would keep it as lightside and darkside . It would be abit odd if a consular came along and mudered all his friends while a sith warrior recited the jedi code fluently. Of course, it is impossible to change faction once you have made the character.

I've put together a bit of advice and examples for new to RP folks. It's here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=433627

That might help you out a bit.

p

Thanks for that. In fact Kudos for you.

I do have some questions:-

The /say & /me commands, what is the radius of these? is it a certain instance, i.e. a cantina, or more like an area of effect power?

Is there a way to to reduce the radii?

My main problem is that if there are a lot of people in an area RPing, the messages fill up the chat window really quickly, making it difficult to follow a conversations.

I am putting this here so as not to clutter Scorpienne's thread.

8-)

Thanks for that. In fact Kudos for you.

I do have some questions:-

The /say & /me commands, what is the radius of these? is it a certain instance, i.e. a cantina, or more like an area of effect power?

Is there a way to to reduce the radii?

My main problem is that if there are a lot of people in an area RPing, the messages fill up the chat window really quickly, making it difficult to follow a conversations.

I am putting this here so as not to clutter Scorpienne's thread.

8-)

OMG the radius is horrible. I have regulary emoted "leaning over and whispering" to later hear "I heard what you said" even though they were across the room. Please Bioware for the love all that is droid, please lower the chat radius!

Edited by virtualelle