Noob to Group Flashpoints

Are you trying to heal, dps or tank?

If you do not know the tactics for a boss fight it is best if you do it on normal mode first.

Watch where you stand and where you run, if the rest of the group are skipping packs of mobs then follow the route they took, don't just run in a straight line pulling everything.

Can give more tips if you say what role you enter as

Tanking can be a demanding task, especially when new to the game. Maybe do some runs as dps until you get comfortable with the mechanics of each flashpoint. It will also allow you to watch what the other tanks do.

If you do wish to tank then I suggest reading the vanguard forums, some useful threads there about how vanguards tank. Not having one myself I can't tell you specifics but generally for a tank you will want the hardest hitting mobs to be hitting on you. Example, if a pull has 1 elite, 2 silver and 3 normal mobs, then you try to keep the elite and silver on you, the normals should be killed quick by the dps.

The healer is your friend, if mobs are hitting him then taunt them off the healer, you have a direct taunt (target mob then use) plus an aoe taunt which will aggro every mob in range.

when entering a FP you dont know, tel your group. Prepare the group for your noobness and many times the group will be helpfull.

Fokus on keeping agro off the healer. Start out by attacking the strongest mobs, and if the dps dont go after the weak mobs then you will have to. Dont worry about the dps getting agro. If dps goes after he weak mobs first as they should, agro wont be an issue, if the jump the elite mobs and let you pick up the weak mobs, then they pretty much asked for it.

On bosses you probably will need to taunt if your just starting out on FP. There alot of overgeared dps running their daily FP aand it´s impossible to keep agro off them without taunting when beginng you FP adventures. Just make sure to ask if the boss is new to you if there´s something you need to know. A few bosses have agro resets and you have to save taunt for that.

Now you said you were noob, so i´ll be even more basic. When rolling on loot you only need on drops for personal use. If you want a drop for your companion you ask before you roll if you may need on it, and if there´s noone else who need most likely they wont have a problem with you needing for companion.

ofc you have the right stats and use a shield. Check the setbonus on your gear if in doubt. there´s 3 different sets for troopers, and for tanks it´s hugely important to pick the set with defensive stats.

I´d probably read the stcky on vanguard forum. I´m sure there´s a tanking 101 sticky and they offer lots of good advice for new tanks.

Listen to advice from your group. There´s alot of friendly guys out there who want to help a new guy getting the grips of tanking. Trying to fake it as a tank is bad. As dps it´s easy to just go with the flow and do as the other dps, but a tank cant do that.

Maybe try making you own group by calling out on general chat. Then the group is warned the tank is new before entering the FP and it will reduce the chance of beeing kicked even more.

My first question would be why did you wait so late in the game to start learning how to tank in groups?

Anyways... Here are some of my own pointers

• Assuming (I hate doing it but its valid in this case) your not geared with endgame gear since your new to grouping which means you have little or no operation experience, place your guard on the DPS which is best geared. They will be the one which will most likely be ripping threat from you which is the one thing you don't want to happen.
  • Keep your eye on which mobs are marked with CC targets and do not break them until you are ready.
  • Taunts are your friend. Use them liberally and often but always have 1 handy in case you need to use it. Remember, your single taunt reduces the amount of damage your target does so its more usefull than just using it to grab aggro back from someone.
  • Position the mobs in a way you can group them up for the DPS to make use of their AOE's. What i mean by this is if you know one of your elites in the pack ahead is ranged and away from a big part of the group, then head straight over to the group and pull the ranged elite over to you hence grouping all the mobs up (unless that elite has been CC'd of course)
  • As a tank for groups, you can not have tunnel vision. You need to have good situational awareness and expect things to happen before they actually do happen. If you see a pat wandering near the group, then pick up aggro on that pat before it starts attacking your healer.
  • As a tank for groups, you are expected to know the encounter. If you do not know the encounter well enough or if you have never been in the encounter, think about going DPS for a couple runs to become familar with it or watch videos of the encounter before actually going into it.
  • Quickbar targeting icons and use them if needed (not just before the start of the fight but also during. It lets the DPS know which mob you want them to focus on)
  • 3 rules to live by. 1) If the tank dies, its the healers fault. 2) If the healer dies, its the tanks fault. 3) If the DPS dies, its their own dam fault.

I ran into a similar situation. My first character was a PT tank, and I avoided all of the group content until I hit 50. I realized quickly that I had no idea what I was doing. I have been playing some alts and have made it a point to do heroics and flashpoints as I am leveling. Tank is probably the hardest role to fill if you don't know the content. You are expected to lead the pack and people get impatient if you have to keep stopping to figure out what is ahead. DPS or healer can hang back and may be an easier way to start.

CC awareness can be a deal breaker for some people. If you find yourself frequently breaking CC, you may want to ask your group to mark their targets so you know who to avoid attacking. The normal sequence for an encounter would be 1. CC the strongest controllable mobs 2. Tank attacks the strongest uncontrolled mob and dps attacks the weaker ones 3.Tank attacks the CC mob when everything else is cleaned up.

I would try to go back and run some lower level FP on an alt. I would contend that there is nothing more challenging than PUGing your way through Hammer Station. No one has their class abilities yet and no one knows what they're doing. It is challenging and educational.

hi i am a noob to group playing, i am just new to level 50, i keep make silly mistakes and people end up kicking me

Does anyone have any tips or hints ?

cheers guys

If you're a tank,that means you lead the group and set the pace.

Most people have ran these hundreds of times, and are usually doing it for the quickest run possible for the BH comms.

That being said, if you don't know the fights, strategies, or what to do, look at some guides, YouTube videos, or read up on forums.

I have no issues with a "virgin" tank and teaching them how/what to do in a flashpoint, but there are a lot of impatient people that will kick for stupid reasons.

Learn the fights, pick up the pace a little and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advise, i know these guys probably run the flashpoints all the time & know them in and out & hate when noobs mess it up for them. I will try what you said cheers

You have an amazing attitude and I'm sorry you're not getting the same respect back. Assuming you got your free tionese gear you should be able to handle all HM FP's except for Lost Island.

I'm sorry the groups aren't being understanding enough. Lately I've been seeing more groups where the people don't have super gear or the tanks have less HP than my Dreadguard Marauder so I understand their gear may be low. All it takes is communication. Just let them know you're knew to the fights and if you have someone is also cordial they will tell you what to do. That's exactly what happened in my Lost Island last night. The tank didn't know the boss mechanics and it can seem overwhelming when explaining the final boss.

Did he ask for help? Yes.

Did I give him the strat and advice? Yes.

Did we win? Yes.

It's all about communication. Unfortunately you're going to have a rough start first. Just let them know you're new. They may sigh a bit, but hopefully they'll walk you through it. Assuming you understand your class mechanics fairly well you will end up completing the instance and understanding what to do. If HM FP's seem overwhelming, maybe start with quei'ing regular endgame FP's for practice.

Good luck to you! And don't let the rude people deter you.

I know where ur coming from. I cant help u with Tank knowledge but I can tell u 2 hang in there. As was said guides/forums/ videos( ive found them all and some r really good). Ask questions. When u hav a bad run and the eleet brain dead basement dwelling mouthbreathing single-cell momas pet goes off on u shake it off and move on.

If u work at it hard it does get better. And when that happens the fun comes back ( geez fun wats that?).

Edited by mcslack

hi i am a noob to group playing, i am just new to level 50, i keep make silly mistakes and people end up kicking me

cheers guys

I'm a Vanguard Tank, i do follow the guys where they go and listen to what they say but sometimes it to late and i get killed, then kicked.

I learned to tank by doing the flashpoints as dps, then I moved on to tanking.

The tank usually is the one that everyone waits for to attack and if the tank does not know how to do it the group gets confused.

So, my advice to you is to specc to dps a few runs and get the hang of the gamemecanics and then switch back to tank.

Good luck mate :tran_cool:

Edited by Icestar

I'm a Vanguard Tank, i do follow the guys where they go and listen to what they say but sometimes it to late and i get killed, then kicked.

Generally, speaking as a vanguard tank, you are better doing three things. 1) get in an active guild that at the bare minimum does ops on a regular basis (preferably GF missions as well as a whole team), 2) get a dps set for your vanguard to use in GF when you are going solo and 3) that you spend the comms on your tank set.

People are very demanding in the group finder on their tanks. Sometimes there are points you can improve, sometimes dps do weird things and sometimes there are different approaches on how to approach mobs. And if these three things stack up in the right way, wipes can come fast and furiously. The best way to learn to tank is to learn from guildies who tend to be more tolerant.

cheers guys

This is exactly the kind of player I want in my guild. Anyone who is humble enough to admit that he is not good at his role (in public) and then sit there and hear the many ways he has to improve AND THEN THANKS EVERYONE for it can join my guild anytime.

OP , what server are you on?

As for your in game issues, there's a lot of good advice in the previous posts. In addition, I would look carefully at your AC tree and make sure you are spec'd properly. There's a lot of utility and survivability to be had from the talents in your skill tree. Also make sure you have tank gear and a shield generator on, and be sure to have ion cell on.

Look through the trooper vanguard forum for an optimal tank build. There's also a subsection in "classes" on the bottom left called "roles". Look in there at the tanking role. Lots of good info there too.

Again, I commend you for actively, and humbly, seeking advice to better your play.

<hats off>

This is exactly the kind of player I want in my guild. Anyone who is humble enough to admit that he is not good at his role (in public) and then sit there and hear the many ways he has to improve AND THEN THANKS EVERYONE for it can join my guild anytime.

OP , what server are you on?

As for your in game issues, there's a lot of good advice in the previous posts. In addition, I would look carefully at your AC tree and make sure you are spec'd properly. There's a lot of utility and survivability to be had from the talents in your skill tree. Also make sure you have tank gear and a shield generator on, and be sure to have ion cell on.

Look through the trooper vanguard forum for an optimal tank build. There's also a subsection in "classes" on the bottom left called "roles". Look in there at the tanking role. Lots of good info there too.

Again, I commend you for actively, and humbly, seeking advice to better your play.

<hats off>

I agree most guilds wouldn't have an issue. Also, keep in mind that you're going to have strengths and weaknesses because there are lots of moving parts. Guildies learn to play around each other's blind spots. People grinding HM FPs on their 3rd alt are going to have less patience.