Awww crud.

RaptureRocker

From that page it looks to me that you will be unable to refer people from June 11th to July 12th. You will only be able to benefit from it now if they already had a referral before the 11th.

Good catch:

During the transition time, beginning on June 11, 2013, please note the following:

Active Subscribers will not be able to refer new players into the program.

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to clear things up about some of the changes coming to the Friends of SWTOR program.

Starting June 11th, we began our "transition time" and you are no longer able to refer friends. If you had referred a friend before June 11th, they have until July 12th to subscribe and receive the current rewards.

It is important to note that this program will be returning with the Kurtob Alliance Speeder and some new rewards. We are targeting to bring back this program in early August of this year.

Hope that helps!

New rewards? Please tell me it will be retroactive :/ It won't hurt if they would be retroactive.

Hey Alec_Fortescue,

They are not retroactive. The monthly grant of Cartel Coins you receive will still remain (and you already have the Kurtob Alliance Speeder). The reason why is that our new Friends Program has a new tracking system on the web that wasn't there previously. Because of this, it is considered a new program. We are still hammering out different ways for Subscribers to receive the rewards through this program.

Once we have those details hammered out, I will give y'all an update!

Hey Alec_Fortescue,

They are not retroactive. The monthly grant of Cartel Coins you receive will still remain (and you already have the Kurtob Alliance Speeder). The reason why is that our new Friends Program has a new tracking system on the web that wasn't there previously. Because of this, it is considered a new program. We are still hammering out different ways for Subscribers to receive the rewards through this program.

It would be really nice if you guys would just say that it's not retroactive because you want to entice us to refer another friend (which makes perfect sense and I am not against). It's a business decision, not a technical one. It has nothing to do with "a new tracking system" because you could simply add all the people who referred a friend to the new system.

Hey Alec_Fortescue,

Any chance the change will fix some of the problems with the email never being sent to people you refer. I have had this problem and called support several times and started a thread in the support forum with no real help and would be nice to see this no longer being a problem.

Wow, you have got to be kidding me. I've been trying to refer 2 people for two months now. First I was told that you had to wait until the first billing period was over. So I waited and tried again after the time with my box ran out. Still no luck. Oh, of course, that wasn't considered a billing period as it was free time with the boxed copy. So now yesterday my first true "billed directly to my credit card" period ended, and it's now too late. I can't begin to express how frustrating this entire thing is, especially since the actual error message came up was a very generic "You can't refer this email address" error. And to cancel the program with no warning, right before the double XP weekends... I try to give Bioware a lot of slack, come on, a little heads-up before cancelling a program like this would have been appreciated. I would have just had someone else with an older account do the referrals, at least someone would have gotten something out of it.

Hey Alec_Fortescue,

Wait there's a cartel coin grant? Was that something added after the fact because as I recall I have not seen any CC's besides the 500 monthly and 100 extra for the security key.

Wow, you have got to be kidding me. I've been trying to refer 2 people for two months now. First I was told that you had to wait until the first billing period was over. So I waited and tried again after the time with my box ran out. Still no luck. Oh, of course, that wasn't considered a billing period as it was free time with the boxed copy. So now yesterday my first true "billed directly to my credit card" period ended, and it's now too late. I can't begin to express how frustrating this entire thing is, especially since the actual error message came up was a very generic "You can't refer this email address" error. And to cancel the program with no warning, right before the double XP weekends... I try to give Bioware a lot of slack, come on, a little heads-up before cancelling a program like this would have been appreciated. I would have just had someone else with an older account do the referrals, at least someone would have gotten something out of it.

It's not your billing cycle but after your referred friends billing cycle comes up and they renew.

It's not your billing cycle but after your referred friends billing cycle comes up and they renew.

OR.. if the friend plops a 60 day game time card or 60 day time purchase (from the account page) on their account.. you get immediate credit for their sub.

In other words, as soon as 30 days sub is paid... you get credit. Game cards or the 60 day sub buy from the account page are credited immediately, whereas regular sub is only credited when the players credit card is charged.

Edited by Andryah

Wait there's a cartel coin grant? Was that something added after the fact because as I recall I have not seen any CC's besides the 500 monthly and 100 extra for the security key.

100 coins per month per referred friend for each month they remain subbed to the game. It began on the date that F2P went live. I don't recall exactly when the first batch was credited though (on the date F2P went live or the date of the referred friends sub renewal date).

a very generic "You can't refer this email address" error.

For that error message......sounds to me like you or your friend did not follow required process for refer-a-friend.

Most likely the friend already had an account active with Bioware for the email address you referred. You cannot refer to an email address that already has an account tied to it.

The refer a friend procedure must be followed exactly. If your friend creates an account before receiving your referral through the Bioware site, you cannot get a refer-a-friend award.

OR.. if the friend plops a 60 day game time card or 60 day time purchase (from the account page) on their account.. you get immediate credit for their sub.

In other words, as soon as 30 days sub is paid... you get credit. Game cards or the 60 day sub buy from the account page are credited immediately, whereas regular sub is only credited when the players credit card is charged.

That I didn't know.

I recently invited my girlfriend to play. She's currently F2P but is considering subscribing.

What I'd like to know is, if she decides to hold off subscribing until after the program is back in place, would I still be eligible for the new rewards or would I just get nothing for it?

Hey Alec_Fortescue,

What about the referrals themselves, will those be retroactive? I have referred a friend some months ago and he has't subscribed yet, but if he will do so after you've updated your system, will I be eligible for the new rewards or his old referral will not count?

Thank you for the eventual clarification :jawa_smile:

Edited by Lurtzello

What about the referrals themselves, will those be retroactive? I have referred a friend some months ago and he has't subscribed yet, but if he will do so after you've updated your system, will I be eligible for the new rewards or his old referral will not count?

Thank you for the eventual clarification :jawa_smile:

The FAQ says he has until July 12th to subscribe or the referral will expire.

For that error message......sounds to me like you or your friend did not follow required process for refer-a-friend.

Most likely the friend already had an account active with Bioware for the email address you referred. You cannot refer to an email address that already has an account tied to it.

The refer a friend procedure must be followed exactly. If your friend creates an account before receiving your referral through the Bioware site, you cannot get a refer-a-friend award.

The "You cannot refer this email address" error is one that has multiple threads (example) out there for it and does happen even when the instructions are followed, apparently. In my case, I tried referring multiple email addresses, first to a long-standing Gmail account that has never touched an EA or Bioware game, then to various Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, and Mail.com addresses (some literally created that day while troubleshooting, so absolutely impossible for them to have anything connected to them already). For kicks I tried creating an account, signing up for Origin (not Bioware or SWTOR mind you, but a general EA account), making sure that I was opted into any newsletters and communications (the error can occur because someone has opted out of EA emails), and then tried to refer that address. It also failed. I then contacted support and was directed here, where it states:

...participation in the Friends of Star Wars: The Old Republic program requires the referral of a current active player who has passed at least one billing cycle.

Thus, is has nothing to do with the friend needing to wait a billing cycle (I couldn't refer anyone in the first place for them to even start the billing cycle), and the actual issue is that there was nothing wrong with the emails I was trying, but instead that I was unable to refer anyone at all. In the end I waited almost 60 days (which I think everyone would agree is two billing cycles, even if the first one was the month from the boxed copy) and now there is no more program for the next 60 days. It just boggles my mind that it's so incredibly difficult and frustrating when all I'm really trying to do is send them more paying customers, and that a program like this is cancelled with zero communication beforehand.