Hologram projector (new idea for anti-gunship)

Sadishist

It takes the shield spot, and projects a mirror image of your ship to either the left or right. Gunships won't know which one is the real you (but missiles will still lock on to you). If the hologram gets hit by a railgun or lasers, it will distort slightly. Effect lasts 20 seconds or so, and your shields get a debuff while it is active.

Once upgraded, you can have 2 holograms at once, thus there's only a 1/3 chance the gunship will hit you.

Edited by Sadishist

It'd be obvious when you fire, and especially when you turn. As only one pair of laser bolts will be hitting reasonably near the target, and the turn arc would be come notably too wide or short.

I say just make it so it projects in front or behind you(~500-2000m). Make it so that both targets are target-able, except when the enemy is within ~ 7km range. Have your shots line up as a triangle so the enemy don't know which one is real. Having fire at an angle down or upwards is much less noticeable, and more convincing than if a ship is firing left or right, but not turning in that direction.

Your current upgrades with spawning 3 ships at your side would be a dead give away when you open your cannons. Perhaps duration upgrades, shorter CDs, and actual damage from hologram would be much less counter intuitive.

It'd be obvious when you fire, and especially when you turn. As only one pair of laser bolts will be hitting reasonably near the target, and the turn arc would be come notably too wide or short.

I say just make it so it projects in front or behind you(~500-2000m). Make it so that both targets are target-able, except when the enemy is within ~ 7km range. Have your shots line up as a triangle so the enemy don't know which one is real. Having fire at an angle down or upwards is much less noticeable, and more convincing than if a ship is firing left or right, but not turning in that direction.

Your current upgrades with spawning 3 ships at your side would be a dead give away when you open your cannons. Perhaps duration upgrades, shorter CDs, and actual damage from hologram would be much less counter intuitive.

Good thoughts. It's also up to the pilot using it to use the right tactics to keep the gunship duped as long as possible. Opening fire would be a give away, depending on your angle.

Edited by Sadishist

Good thoughts. It's also up to the pilot using it to use the right tactics to keep the gunship duped as long as possible. Opening fire would be a give away, depending on your angle.

I agree with what you said, but the problem with that is the Distortion Shields allows you to be immune to Rail gunshots and fire at the same time, without all the fancy tricks.

This obviously would be a cool design if it is implemented, but I think it has to give a lot more benefits than just a holo ship. The best way based on my opinion is to make the 2nd ship a real ship that can "absorb" damage. When the shield is activated, all damage received will be mitigated 50% to the hologram. When it exceeds certain amounts, the hologram ends prematurely. The general idea is that it should have a 90% uptime unless you are shot at. We should be able to further upgrade its defensive, and offensive capabilities as well.

Honestly though, I would love to see this shield in the game, much more flashy than the other ones.

Why not give the gunship this skill? Theyre already sitting ducks when trying to kill something.

As mentioned above, GS gets distortion field. This shield might actually back fire on this one since in order for you to know your hologram has been hit when scoped in, it needs to be damaged or destroyed along with a promote. However, this might end up allowing ion rail guns, the one that most GS start firing with, to AOE you as well.

I think this shield would be mostly for Strikes as only they do not have access to DF.

Distortion field is getting nerfed soon, and its pretty easy to chew a gunship through it. Especially as they dont have much manoeuvrability.

Really? I do not recall reading it in the notes. By how much exactly? Also, as long as GS have barrel roll, maneuverability isn't much of a problem.

This is by no means a deal breaker to the idea, but it doesn't match the lore very well. All the holograms we've seen throughout Star Wars (this game included) are small, monochrome, and low resolution. Not very useful as a decoy ship. Edited by RebekahWSD

This is by no means a deal breaker to the idea, but it doesn't match the lore very well. All the holograms we've seen throughout Star Wars (this game included) are small, monochrome, and low resolution. Not very useful as a decoy ship.

Railguns shouldn't exist, yet they do. Also, can anyone explains how distortion field works while the user isn't moving?

Obviously though, you're right, holograms in Star Wars is and never was good quality. Perhaps we can play it so the ship turns into a blue blur only within ~7km, because we are talking about using for long range purposes. Pass that range, they won't notice the decoy quality probably. (Or maybe they will and crashes into asteroid because they mistook it for a proton torpedo.)

This is by no means a deal breaker to the idea, but it doesn't match the lore very well. All the holograms we've seen throughout Star Wars (this game included) are small, monochrome, and low resolution. Not very useful as a decoy ship.

The projector can cover over your own ship too, so both your ship and the decoy looks like holograms?

Edited by Sadishist