Why Would Mercenary DPS would be needed in Ranked Warzone?

Serroturkio

Since the last patches Mercenary has some advantages and disadvantages. Over all, disadvantages counts more. I have 2 Chars, and my the only LVL 50 is my Merc-DPS. Lately, I do understand that, people would not like to have a "easy" target DPS in team for the ranked WZ matches, since those matches count. Our roll should be strategic roll in team, but if we are face to face to any melee, we are dead. If I stay away, I am fine. Other than that, I do not have any roll in team. I cannot guard any player, I cannot stealth, I cannot go stealth during fight, I cannot fast run, I cannot put barrage in front of me (What ever its called for imperial Agents can do). So, If I want to be needed, or really feel to be a part of team, I cannot be DPS, but HEALER.

I want my main Char to be My Mercenary-DPS. And, I want to have fun when I play the game. I do not want to loose the fight at all times, in front of melee. Any melee. I mean, in Star wars Jedi's run away from Bounty Hunter, in this game we run away... Don't you think there is something wrong with this? If you guys having trouble fining a way how to make Mercenary Class DPS, and how that should be places among other SWTOR Chars, I suggest you look in to how SWG made changes for Bounty Hunter. Sorry to say, but you made me miss my SWG times lately.... I hope you soon make sufficient changes to Mercenary in Patch 1.5...... Soon.....

I didn't even bother reading your post, just the title. Merc DPS = NO NO for Ranked Warzones. Our damage is fine if left alone, but we have absolutely no group usefulness unless there are 5 snipers with us constantly rooting people at a distance away from us. There is also the notion that we are a free kill, so we will be focused by any melee teams with a passion, so we serve a purpose of being kill bait and a distraction from the rest of our team. I am being serious even though it sounds sarcastic.

Developer1: Hey guys i think the merc class needs a buff

Developer2: Hey it's opposite day, so we should give them a "buff" by removing their knockback

Developer3: Hey let's get an intern to do all the work about designing this class for pvp.

Developer1+2: Good idea Developer3! Let's go use our time to buff marauders again, always good to do that.

Intern: I think mercenary pvp dps and utility is in a good place. When a melee jumps to them, the mercenary should stand still and face tank it while rooted for 9 seconds and smashed in the face, and their escape option is on a 25 second cooldown, so they should just rocket punch the melee to root them in front of their face and die faster!

Intern: Hey so Merc Dps is attacking a target in pvp, target goes behind an obstacle and LOLS at the merc. Biowares answer to this: Make mercs run up into melee range to do a root and effectively put them into a melee range danger zone giving up their ranged advantages. Yes! This is exactly what we needed....

Intern: So I think the Merc Healer can use a buff. Let's add a 50% slow for 3 seconds to kolto missile. Let's just pretend for a second that I am not an idiot, even though we know I am. Any melee dps jumps to me, I am going to be slowed and or rooted and forced to stand still and heal or use knockback and big cooldowns, I am mostly an immobile healer. So what did this 3 second slow do for me? NOTHING! Why? Because the melee already rooted and slowed me also! It effectively did NOTHING. It's not even a buff, so I am going to troll the patch notes and make mercs look like they got something good.

Intern: Hey guys, everyone on merc forums is complaining for buffs and that pyro mercs suck compared to pt pyros. So I have a good idea, let's nerf pyro mercs slow effect from their already low chance to apply the slow, from 50% snare to a 30% snare. Then shake hands and say we did a good thing.

I can go on, but it's just so bad and insulting what they do to our class, I can't even deal.

Edited by DkSharktooth

I didn't even bother reading your post, just the title. Merc DPS = NO NO for Ranked Warzones. Our damage is fine if left alone, but we have absolutely no group usefulness unless there are 5 snipers with us constantly rooting people at a distance away from us. There is also the notion that we are a free kill, so we will be focused by any melee teams with a passion, so we serve a purpose of being kill bait and a distraction from the rest of our team. I am being serious even though it sounds sarcastic.

Developer2: Hey it's opposite day, so we should give them a "buff" by removing their knockback

Developer3: Hey let's get an intern to do all the work about designing this class for pvp.

Developer1+2: Good idea Developer3! Let's go use our time to buff marauders again, always good to do that.

Intern: I think mercenary pvp dps and utility is in a good place. When a melee jumps to them, the mercenary should stand still and face tank it while rooted for 9 seconds and smashed in the face, and their escape option is on a 25 second cooldown, so they should just rocket punch the melee to root them in front of their face and die faster!

Intern: Hey so Merc Dps is attacking a target in pvp, target goes behind an obstacle and LOLS at the merc. Biowares answer to this: Make mercs run up into melee range to do a root and effectively put them into a melee range danger zone giving up their ranged advantages. Yes! This is exactly what we needed....

Intern: So I think the Merc Healer can use a buff. Let's add a 50% slow for 3 seconds to kolto missile. Let's just pretend for a second that I am not an idiot, even though we know I am. Any melee dps jumps to me, I am going to be slowed and or rooted and forced to stand still and heal or use knockback and big cooldowns, I am mostly an immobile healer. So what did this 3 second slow do for me? NOTHING! Why? Because the melee already rooted and slowed me also! It effectively did NOTHING. It's not even a buff, so I am going to troll the patch notes and make mercs look like they got something good.

Intern: Hey guys, everyone on merc forums is complaining for buffs and that pyro mercs suck compared to pt pyros. So I have a good idea, let's nerf pyro mercs slow effect from their already low chance to apply the slow, from 50% snare to a 30% snare. Then shake hands and say we did a good thing.

I can go on, but it's just so bad and insulting what they do to our class, I can't even deal.

^ LMAO so true Skillex

I have seen so many of your youtube videos...

What you have wrote is comic way of what I wanted to roll

Apologies for the derail, but... Where the hell have you been man? Haven't seen you in any WZs for a while :D

I can't stand playing my merc as a dps in warzones. It's plain torture. I prefer to play merc heals, but only in 4man premade because we all know when you're the healer, there are no dps besides recruit geared players on your team. I have mainly been playing my marauder skillxx and I have changed our Ranked Warzone Teams Que Times/Days to Monday + Tuesday 8:00pm EST (excluding todays tuesday). Attendance problems for ranked and getting a group together at the same time is just plain crap in this game. If I lose a player, I can't hope to get a good replacement, only worse. Currently, I lose 2 good marauders this week due to computer problems, with no ETA on fixes at all. Other people showing up 1hr after que times are scheduled or not at all. It's just not the same quality & quantity of players in this game as others.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Well hell. That's pretty much the only two good DPS mercs gone from the server then. :(

Hope you both start playing (as dps mercs) again eventually, if BW can have some kind of epiphany. It's a dying breed.

Edited by Jherad

First of all, I see a lot of people complaining about the RP kb being changed into a root.

But, you shouldn't have been playing arsenal pre 1.4, so nothing's changed. It's just still useless.

However, with PT getting a range nerf on both TD and IM, while Merc Pyro got NO nerfs (well, a slight snare reduction), but a 30m interrupt ability, and TD/ED separated CDs, that happens to make the few talent points in arsenal more useful, why is no one talking about the Pyro Merc?

And excuse me for saying this, but a Merc should not be a free kill in rateds. You must have a bad healers/tanks. It's better a Merc DPS in heavy armor (I know, not a big deal, but it is a deal.) is taking DMG, than your Sorc heal f.e. You get a guard, the healer(s) are able to heal you, while you take less DMG than they would, and the tank takes less damage as well, since you mitigate dmg better than the healers would in the first place. PT Pyros are just as 'free kills' in that regard, except they can't cleanse, nor keep the enemy that has more burst in melee, at bay, at all. They may have a bit more DPS potential at that position, but again, they won't beat a melee class in melee range.

Compared to the PT, mercs basically sacrifice taunts + grapple + short AoE stun + a bit more armor pen on railshot + some things I forget/don't bother with + an easily applied CGC proc 10m via FB for:

Increased range, both IM/TD

AoE kb that has half the CD of the PT stun, so you are much better off against carn maras, tanksins etc.

Cleanse + some situational self healing.

More DMG on ranged attacks (and proc chances)

Oh, I can't be bothered to list everything at the moment. I have to lvl my merc up to 50 and see what's what after I get into the class some more, was just wondering why everyone is ************ about nerfs to a spec that was horrible to begin with, and totaly overlooking the DPS possibilities of the spec that always was the only choice for PvP.

/discuss.

Edited by SneiK

However, with PT getting a range nerf on both TD and IM, while Merc Pyro got NO nerfs (well, a slight snare reduction), but a 30m interrupt ability, and TD/ED separated CDs, that happens to make the few talent points in arsenal more useful, why is no one talking about the Pyro Merc?

I'll tell you why: Merc Pyro is still INFERIOR to Powertech Pyro.

Merc pyrotech is absolutely 100% is inferior.

I duel with a Powertech who is just as geared as me. (I've done several of these tests with competent people as a true indicator, not posting ridiculous screenshots that give the illusion of competence).

The powertech may have a range nerf on two abilities, but because of Dart being off the same cooldown as TD, it all evened out. Most PT's aren't even using the IM near as much and benefiting from the reduced heat issues.

So the 'nerf' is really only applicable to TD. BUT the buff to -Dart- made up for it.

Even if you understand what I'm saying here, you might still be asking why I would believe Powertech is better at Pyro. Here's why:

1) as shown above, the nerf really isn't much of a nerf thanks to other changes.

2) Grapple is on a pretty darn low cooldown and it is GREAT at isolating healers from their guards, and COMPLETELY eliminates any 'range nerf'.

3) Pyrotech resets Rail Shot on 2 INSTANT abilities, not channeled/cast time abilities: Rocket Punch and Flame burst. So while you're standing there trying to get off a cruddy "Powershot" so you can proc a Rail shot, you're getting interupted or grappled by the PT and he's flame bursting you down, and getting his free rail shot.

4) The powertech pyrotech can also trump you in the stun game. I can't remember the last time I faced a competent melee type that let me Concussion them, but that still leaves Mercs with Electro Dart. Well Pt's have Electro Dart AND Carbonize. What about our AoE knockback? It's an interrupt (on a non-interuptable opponent) at best. It doesn't knock back far enough in Pyro to be of any consequence in most maps.

I can and have pulled HUGE numbers in non-ranked WZ's. I even have one ranked screenshot of over 500K against a total group of ungeared players trying to get comms. But when it comes down to it, the Powertech does Pyro better. Even if you want to convince your self of some fantasy scenario where you love using channeled abilities in PVP, you cannot argue the base mechanics of two classes and how they reset rail shot.

Edited by Krozis

I duel with a Powertech who is just as geared as me. (I've done several of these tests with competent people as a true indicator, not posting ridiculous screenshots that give the illusion of competence).

The powertech may have a range nerf on two abilities, but because of Dart being off the same cooldown as TD, it all evened out. Most PT's aren't even using the IM near as much and benefiting from the reduced heat issues.

So the 'nerf' is really only applicable to TD. BUT the buff to -Dart- made up for it.

Even if you understand what I'm saying here, you might still be asking why I would believe Powertech is better at Pyro. Here's why:

1) as shown above, the nerf really isn't much of a nerf thanks to other changes.

2) Grapple is on a pretty darn low cooldown and it is GREAT at isolating healers from their guards, and COMPLETELY eliminates any 'range nerf'.

3) Pyrotech resets Rail Shot on 2 INSTANT abilities, not channeled/cast time abilities: Rocket Punch and Flame burst. So while you're standing there trying to get off a cruddy "Powershot" so you can proc a Rail shot, you're getting interupted or grappled by the PT and he's flame bursting you down, and getting his free rail shot.

4) The powertech pyrotech can also trump you in the stun game. I can't remember the last time I faced a competent melee type that let me Concussion them, but that still leaves Mercs with Electro Dart. Well Pt's have Electro Dart AND Carbonize. What about our AoE knockback? It's an interrupt (on a non-interuptable opponent) at best. It doesn't knock back far enough in Pyro to be of any consequence in most maps.

I can and have pulled HUGE numbers in non-ranked WZ's. I even have one ranked screenshot of over 500K against a total group of ungeared players trying to get comms. But when it comes down to it, the Powertech does Pyro better. Even if you want to convince your self of some fantasy scenario where you love using channeled abilities in PVP, you cannot argue the base mechanics of two classes and how they reset rail shot.

Good post. I love when people tell you your not supposed to PvP in arsenal for DPS but Pyro in stead. Might as well tell you to go roll a Powertech at that point.

Off-heals.

(Though I recently posted a half-dead rant about the woes of being a gunnery commando (my merc is a healer) I'm in a much more optimistic mood.)

I've come to the conclusion that an arsenal/gunnery merc/commando is about the off heals. Stick with the main pack, lay down heavy fire (and focus with your other dps) and... Off heal. I personally don't like it, and would rather be full healing or full dps, but I can't deny how annoying I can be when the melee dps has focused and lock down/stunned a healer, and I pop an instant AMP (4-5 stacks of charged barrel) followed by an instant MP (Tech Overide+MP).

I've also off healed ball carriers to a goal (and made a nice solid node for an intercede), and tipped the scale when duo guarding a node in 2 v 2 and 2 v 3 fights.

Not sure about a sorc/sage's off heals, but our other ranged competitor (sniper/gunslinger) doesn't even have any.

As for me, I switched over to assault (pyro) and am quite happy with the amount of ranged DoT's and delayed damage I can lay down.

Off heals is what I seem to find myself going for. Still can't help but wonder if the team wouldn't be better off with another full healer or even some other DPS class.

The thing is, people will tell you to go pyro for PvP and it is less effective than powertech pyro, but at the same time, it is still better than arsenal. That is a problem IMO.

^This is why I rolled a Powertech. In my testing the PT is far superior in Pyro spec.

However, I actually (Like all of you I am sure) LOVE playing Arsenal. The style, animations, and feel of projectile DPS'ing is a lot of fun.

Often before I post, I will do lots of testing. Most of my testing is in a closed environment with Guildies, or friends. I have concluded beyond a doubt that PT pyro is fully superior, but it is not my preferred playstyle.

So what do I do? Go back to one of my 'power' toons? I have begged, and pleaded with BW to help us but it falls on deaf ears.

I personally play PVP 95% of the time, and usually play in Rated matches when our top players are online together. However the only way I get my Arsenal Merc in the mix is if they are truly not overly concerned with -winning-. Sad, I know. But there is a harsh reality there.

So I have my full Warhero'd Merc sitting in fleet.... I've kind of grinded to a halt with my Powertech in the mid 40's even though a full suit of Eliminator awaits him.

This whole situation really p*$$3$ me off. The reality is I do have very well geared other 50's that put this toon to shame in PVP, but I don't care for the playstyle as much.

I just wish they'd fix us. 1.4 was a total bust for us.... I don't want to unsubscribe, I've never threatened it because overall I love the game, but I'm really feeling like I'm banging my head against a wall with this class in PvP, waiting for BW to truly help us.

Edited by Krozis

I wasn't comparing Merc Pyro vs. PT Pyro situations. Given a 1v1 duel, the Merc (any spec) would lose to any class in the game currently. I am not trying to make people believe I could somehow change that with playstyle. I cry for mercs, I really do, and I hope they get fixed asap.

But I will say, that it's not impossible for the Merc to win. You can kite the PT if you start at 10-30m range (you both can only snare with rapids while moving and at 30m range, so you should be able to move away as fast as the PT is closing on you, just don't backpedal). If the PT grapples you, you should immediately jet him + cleanse any dots you might have (CGC snare), which will again put you into + 10m, which means you should win. This is due to the range nerf on Electro Dart, which again, benefits the Merc a lot, being more ranged ability.

But, you do have to think about 8v8.

In 8v8 situation, PT pulling you usually means you are a called target, and in a lot more trouble than you would think. Then it's up to your team to save you, but you kinda have to think, that it's better you got pulled, than say, your healer. You being pulled means many things. Their team having 1 less pull, and your team most likely able to save you via heals + guard + taunts. And don't forget, that you can actually use LOS yourself as a Pyro Merc, so that dodgy grapple might just pull you towards a wall/box you are behind, and make the PT very sad.

As for the 30m mezz. It does not compare to the Flashbang, which is instant AoE, and I would definately not use it against melee classes. As a Pyro the problem is not that much that you can't, but the fact that you can't after starting to damage, because of the DoTs and them breaking the mezz. You could make it an instant cast and use it otherwise. If you can't handle the melee (Most maps, some situations in Voidstar, and Huttball you might be able, but otherwise it is unlikely) you need to call for help. I'd say the most beneficial use of the mezz, is ranged casters, DPS/healers that you can shut down for a long time, after they have used their CC breaker. Use it on a non focused target, or call it out in ts if you are in one, since you don't want it to get broken.

As a Merc, you're ofc specced into 1.5 sec PS and 75% pushback reduction on your casts, so interrupts are the only problem at that point. That means the Merc can do more front load dmg, since PS procs the Rail at the end of the cast. Also, don't forget that Unload procs at the start, so it doesn't matter if you get interrupted, you can use Unload as an 'instant' Rail proc. Like so:

Merc: IM + Rail + Unload (proc, following a full 3 sec cast) + Rail + PS (proc) + Rail. = 3 Rail in 10.5 seconds. This can be done at 30m.

PT: IM + Rail + FB + Rail + filler + filler + RP + Rail. = 3 Rail in 12 seconds. This requires 10m in 1.4.

Ofc PS can still be troublesome, because of LOS and interrupts, I am not arguing with that.

But let's now compare the abilities that are supposed to 'mirror' each other. The Power Shot (Merc), and the Flame Burst (PT)

Flame Burst:

10m

Instant

Tech (= Cannot be dodged/shielded = Guaranteed hit)

Elemental Damage (= Armor does not apply)

100% proc chance on CGC (= A heavy DoT + Snare)

Power Shot:

30m

2.0 sec cast time, 1.5 with talent.

Ranged (= Can be dodged/shielded = Not a guaranteed hit)

White Damage (=Armor applies)

No 100% proc chance on CGC

Now, somehow it seems to me, that BW has this idea that close range DMG dealers need more dmg/burst compared to ranged, since they cannot be on their target/switch targets as easily. This is totally retarded, as a melee gets a gap closer, and they get the tools to stick to their target(s). While they cannot always switch targets (So, they cannot perhaps always deal DMG), this is the same to Ranged DPS as well. Ranged DPS have casted abilities = They can, and will get LOSd = They cannot deal damage 24/7 either.

So, I guess the reasoning behind FB being a heavyweight champ, and PS being a featherweight loser, is that somehow 30m is supposed to be awesome. BW, please read this carefully: A class needs to be viable in it's EFFECTIVE range. Merc is 30, PT is 10. FB and PS should be equally powerful abilities, regardless of the range difference. Merc being not effective at 30, and PT being effective at 10, is just retarded.

I mean, even if they made PS an INSTANT cast, Mercs would not top the charts. There's still GCD 1.5s, so nothing would really change, other than not getting shut down so easily. It would be fine. They would be able to get their procs on rail, but that lack of a guaranteed CGC and snare will still leave them open for melee/close range classes. And, if they would keep it 2.0/1.5 casted ability, giving it the same 100% proc on CGC would not make them overpowered either, since the ability is still ranged, so it's still not a 100% guaranteed hit (=Not a guaranteed CGC proc either). This would still held true, even if it were an instant cast. And, even if they did both, because Tech&Elemental vs. Ranged&WhiteDMG, they would still not be equal. Read that again:

Making PS and instant cast, and giving it a 100% CGC proc chance would still not bring it to equal grounds with FB.

So just think how ****ed up the situation is, when PS is what it is today.

I'm currently lvl 41 with my Merc, so I'm still learning, and will further update you on when I have her on full WH lvl50, which shouldn't take too long, as my PT alrdy has all the armor pieces rdy with full WH min/maxed mods.

While I'm going to focus on the Pyro, I have some thoughts on Arsenal spec as well, and why it is totally gimped compared to the other ranged DPS classes. F.e a sniper. He's a caster. You're a caster. He can't be leaped to. You can. He can't be interrupted. You can. He can also be immune to all controlling abilities (stuns, mezzes, kbs, interrupts). He can also lower the damage on any DPS coming from ranged sources. He has best range defenses in the game, which is what armor only applies to (together with melee), so in fact, a sniper has better 'armor' than you in most cases where the sniper doesn't get a melee close to him, since he will not get hit in the first place, with ranged attacks. It is the issue of defensive cooldowns. But more of this later...

Edited by SneiK

I wasn't comparing Merc Pyro vs. PT ...
For someone who hasnt even leveled to rank 50 i salute your very accurate understanding of the mercs abilites. Powershot truly is a poor ability and the devs decision that it was in need of a damage reduction a few patches back is still something the majority of players scratch their heads about.

If there was a satirical TV version of Bioware operations - you sir would be the chief writer of said show!

• 2 weeks later...

Flame Burst:

10m

Instant

Tech (= Cannot be dodged/shielded = Guaranteed hit)

Elemental Damage (= Armor does not apply)

100% proc chance on CGC (= A heavy DoT + Snare)

Power Shot:

30m

2.0 sec cast time, 1.5 with talent.

Ranged (= Can be dodged/shielded = Not a guaranteed hit)

White Damage (=Armor applies)

No 100% proc chance on CGC

some small things to concider. powershot does'n need to hit to proc ppa. is just needs to be casted (deflect or not doesn't matter, nor does shielding).

also even if regular armor is ignored by flameburst, everyone still has at least 10% dr against it. (marauders with cloak of pain on have between 34 and 37% dr against elemental damage and there are a lot of thoses)

that beeing said fb is superiour for proccing since it can be cast on the run and cannot be interupted through kb stun or regular interupt.

dps wise though powershot is 2100 vs flameburst 1300 damage, so the enemy would need to have around 50% damage reduction to make blameburst deal more damage and even more if it is a marauder.

and don't forget shroud, that completely negates flamburst and incendary missile while removing all dots (making it almost impossible to railshot for a pt), while a powershot still can apply a dot through shroud and then railshot the shrouded assasin

dps wise though powershot is 2100 vs flameburst 1300 damage, so the enemy would need to have around 50% damage reduction to make blameburst deal more damage and even more if it is a marauder.

No. You are ignoring the damage from CGC, which is almost 2x your 800 damage differential AND is elemental just like FB. So net, FB is going to more damage than PS, even if the target has zero armor. Once you factor in the target's armor, FB doing 50-100% more damage than PS is common.

Bottom line, there is never any reason to bring a Merc dps into a ranked wz over a similarly skilled player with a different subclass. NEVER. EVER. Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. As long as your remember that, you won't run into any trouble when selecting a ranked wz team composition.

• 1 month later...
No. You are ignoring the damage from CGC, which is almost 2x your 800 damage differential AND is elemental just like FB. So net, FB is going to more damage than PS, even if the target has zero armor. Once you factor in the target's armor, FB doing 50-100% more damage than PS is common.

cgc is 100% of the time on the powertech's target.

and flame burst will be used far more frequently then it would be needed to just refresh the cgc. (don't forget that you only have 4.5 sec until you can proc 'ppa' again and you will use fb multiple times in a row until you get it) cgc is also refreshed with each railshot ( which should idealy come every 6sec) and each basic attack has 3 times a 16% chance to trigger it aswell. so of around 4 flamebursts only 1 recieves the bonus you are speaking of.

and yes i agree, dps mercs do currently have no place in ranked wzs.

Edited by Quantemoq

don't forget that you only have 4.5 sec until you can proc 'ppa' again and you will use fb multiple times in a row until you get it...and yes i agree, dps mercs do currently have no place in ranked wzs.

I disagree with the first statement. Unfortunately we agree on the second.

The use of FB continously until RS is procc'ed is not efficient. There comes a time when using FB actually decreases the expected frequency of RS attacks. For example, suppose your RS cooldown has 1.5 seconds remaining. Using FB at this point is rather dubious, because if it procs RS you don't get a RS attack any sooner, and you lose the chance for a quick RS-RP-RS sequence. Correspondingly if RS is on cooldown with 3.0 seconds remaining, a successful RS proc gives you one RS attack in the next 7.5 seconds, but waiting 3.0 seconds (and using other abilities) gives you a 60% chance for TWO RS attacks in the next 7.5 seconds. Even with 4.5 seconds on your RS CD, the expected number of RS attacks decreases if you use FB - although here the tactical situation (heat, health remaining on target, etc.) dictates whether you want to attempt front loading your RS attacks. Bottom line though is that you do NOT want to use FB indescriminately.