Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Feedback on Anthem


Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
03.14.2019 , 03:51 PM | #1
https://www.gamesradar.com/bioware-s...ted-community/

  • BUGS - We are officially beta testers Clicky
  • NINJA NERFS/CHANGES - ...Perceived gaps in Anthem's patch notes. Update 1.0.3, for example, included a number of accidental changes, and some players felt that additional changes and perceived nerfs went unreported in the patch notes.
  • BOORISH COMMUNITY - "Why would a dev team member take time away from working on the next update to post when they know it's likely to be met with hostile replies, or they get flamed because [they] can't answer other questions that players are asking?" Clicky
  • LOOT - Anthem players are actively protesting the game's broken loot system. Clicky

Any of this sound like another game you play?

Who is running the show at EA BWA? I think it's safe to say that it's not the actual dev's descions, it's management decisions.

Reading about Anthem launch-pains is a fascinating, popcorn-eating affair. I can't wait for the next Anthem drama to unfold. This is better than reality TV
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
03.14.2019 , 06:01 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
https://www.gamesradar.com/bioware-s...ted-community/

  • BUGS - We are officially beta testers Clicky
  • NINJA NERFS/CHANGES - ...Perceived gaps in Anthem's patch notes. Update 1.0.3, for example, included a number of accidental changes, and some players felt that additional changes and perceived nerfs went unreported in the patch notes.
  • BOORISH COMMUNITY - "Why would a dev team member take time away from working on the next update to post when they know it's likely to be met with hostile replies, or they get flamed because [they] can't answer other questions that players are asking?" Clicky
  • LOOT - Anthem players are actively protesting the game's broken loot system. Clicky

Any of this sound like another game you play?

Who is running the show at EA BWA? I think it's safe to say that it's not the actual dev's descions, it's management decisions.

Reading about Anthem launch-pains is a fascinating, popcorn-eating affair. I can't wait for the next Anthem drama to unfold. This is better than reality TV
It’s ironic that Ben “RNG is exciting” Irving is the lead producer. I wonder if they’ll sack him this time or promote him again?

merovejec's Avatar


merovejec
03.15.2019 , 07:44 AM | #3
I was actually playing with the idea of buying EA stocks since I wondered if they would go up cause of the release of Anthem, but luckily I didnt buy the stock went down after release.

The game is naturaly on twitch and I was checking the viewer numbers and then went down pretty quick in the first week with being around 2k atm, but thats only cause of some known streamers playing it. I am giving it 1 month before it becomes same as the newest Battlefront.

This was definitely a shot in the dark and a blow for EA. The only positives I see here is that EA will reconsider making new stuff and will focus a bit more on their currently running products like swtor. It is definitely better to invest more into what actually works rather then test new stuff.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
03.15.2019 , 09:17 AM | #4
The biggest problem seems to be that EA BioWare releases unpolished, bugridden multiplayer games (and content).
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Zerileth's Avatar


Zerileth
03.16.2019 , 07:03 AM | #5
As so many have said past and present, until the consumer stops buying these games up front and stops buying the "big box set, platinum edition" these big companies like EA, Bethesda and Activision will continue to produce inferior products. In fact, I'll go even farther and say, these companies cannot return to good game making. They will just implode on themselves.

The Elder Scrolls series is over. E6 will be garbage if it's ever attempted at all. Hello, Valve and the Half Life series, looking at you here. Bethesda can't put out an Elder scroll's game now but every 20 something years? They should be growing in development staff, but they've been corrupted by profit. Same with EA. If consumers stop pre-purchasing, these companies will go belly up.

Sadly, little Johnny will keep asking mommy for blind money, or the gullible (let's face it, these folks are plentiful) will get excited by the marketing. I'm still subscribing here because of the original game before KOTFE. If this game was KOTFE and everything going forward, I'd never be here.

There are the few that can seem to overcome this corruption but I no longer have any confidence in EA, Beth, etc. I will certainly never pre-purchase another game from them and haven't in many years. I think ME2 was the last one.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
03.16.2019 , 08:54 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerileth View Post
As so many have said past and present, until the consumer stops buying these games up front and stops buying the "big box set, platinum edition" these big companies like EA, Bethesda and Activision will continue to produce inferior products. In fact, I'll go even farther and say, these companies cannot return to good game making. They will just implode on themselves.

The Elder Scrolls series is over. E6 will be garbage if it's ever attempted at all. Hello, Valve and the Half Life series, looking at you here. Bethesda can't put out an Elder scroll's game now but every 20 something years? They should be growing in development staff, but they've been corrupted by profit. Same with EA. If consumers stop pre-purchasing, these companies will go belly up.

Sadly, little Johnny will keep asking mommy for blind money, or the gullible (let's face it, these folks are plentiful) will get excited by the marketing. I'm still subscribing here because of the original game before KOTFE. If this game was KOTFE and everything going forward, I'd never be here.

There are the few that can seem to overcome this corruption but I no longer have any confidence in EA, Beth, etc. I will certainly never pre-purchase another game from them and haven't in many years. I think ME2 was the last one.
The diff between SWTOR and Skyrim (and the Sims, for that matter) is that Skyrim and the Sims are moddable where SWTOR is not. The modding community has added both breadth and depth to both Skyrim and the Sims.

I have almost exactly (4.99) 5 gig of mods for the Sims. Talk about playing Barbie! I've also 23.4GB of mods for Skyrim. That's a lot of arrows in the knee!

So, to your point about releasing new versions, in a way, at least for players who avail themselves of all the free content to be had from the modding community, those games sort of morph into spin-offs of their own, especially Skyrim, where you can create entirely new species, lands, etc. I wrote a few mods myself for both Skyrim SE and the Sims.

There's even a Skyrim mod called USSEP which is the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch which (is huge) aims to fix all the bugs in the game, because in Skyrim, the bugs can be overridden by mods. Yay! Could you imagine if we could do that with SWTOR?

But you get the idea.

Invest enough time accumulating enough mods, things will stay different / fresh / interesting a lot longer.
Nice if SWTOR could have that, but eh.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

mrphstar's Avatar


mrphstar
03.16.2019 , 09:03 AM | #7
you guys shouldnt laugh too loud about athem failing.
if bioware doesnt produce any good games anymore and therefor wont make any profit, EA might as well close the whole studio. that would be the end for swtor as well.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
03.16.2019 , 10:05 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by mrphstar View Post
you guys shouldnt laugh too loud about athem failing.
if bioware doesnt produce any good games anymore and therefor wont make any profit, EA might as well close the whole studio. that would be the end for swtor as well.
Yes, no one should root for their demise but you also have to hold them accountable for choices they made themselves. People keep blaming EA for the state of the games but it's the studio creating the games.

From what I can tell, EA didn't force BW to put all their eggs in the Anthem basket, BW chose this direction to go. BW also chose how to use their funds and they chose to put SWTOR on the back burner while Anthem seemed to get much of the resources for development.

I think BW spread themselves too thin, and it was a gamble doing Anthem. Sometimes though, for your mind and soul you got to follow your heart and I assume the BW team simply wanted to go where their passion was leading them and that was into the Anthem rabbit hole.

For me, it's hard to not hold some resentment towards them only because I feel like SWTOR was neglected while Anthem was given funding and resources. However, it's also not fair for me to think any game studio owes me anything, and I have to admit I have been wrong in my perception of it all regarding Anthem and SWTOR.

In the end, it's a business first but BW is made of people with hopes, dreams, aspirations and the studio as well as EA have the right to do what they want. Whether that means trying to fulfill fans expectations or following the hearts and dreams of the studio into the daunting task of trying to create a brand new title like Anthem, it's their choice.

Personally I would have liked to see them put everything into SWTOR from launch till now and beyond, but that's not what they wanted and so it is as such.
Pookiemane SF Suffocates
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
03.16.2019 , 06:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
The diff between SWTOR and Skyrim (and the Sims, for that matter) is that Skyrim and the Sims are moddable where SWTOR is not. The modding community has added both breadth and depth to both Skyrim and the Sims.

I have almost exactly (4.99) 5 gig of mods for the Sims. Talk about playing Barbie! I've also 23.4GB of mods for Skyrim. That's a lot of arrows in the knee!

So, to your point about releasing new versions, in a way, at least for players who avail themselves of all the free content to be had from the modding community, those games sort of morph into spin-offs of their own, especially Skyrim, where you can create entirely new species, lands, etc. I wrote a few mods myself for both Skyrim SE and the Sims.

There's even a Skyrim mod called USSEP which is the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch which (is huge) aims to fix all the bugs in the game, because in Skyrim, the bugs can be overridden by mods. Yay! Could you imagine if we could do that with SWTOR?

But you get the idea.

Invest enough time accumulating enough mods, things will stay different / fresh / interesting a lot longer.
Nice if SWTOR could have that, but eh.
Indeed, the life of BGS games in the PC platform and now on consoles are the mods. They can fix things, they can add things. Heck people have built entire games using Skyrim's engine... it's crazy. Sad that it can't be applied to an MMORPG.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
03.25.2019 , 10:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
it's crazy. Sad that it can't be applied to an MMORPG.
I am amazed by the lack of progression game development has gone for MMOs.

The most successful MMOs are actually some of the earliest ones created which is odd because you'd think newer games would have an easier time of determining what players like and what they do not like.

Graphics have little to do with the longevity of a game, as we can see with EQ1 which still when compared to other MMOs has some of the most dynamic gameplay to ever be in a MMO.

My point is it seems so much focus goes into the graphics and that a lot of the gameplay seems to suffer as a result. Anthem sounds like this, to me.

I am just surprised it had such a rough launch because after 5+ years of development, I thought for sure BW would have a well-polished and well-done game.

Most disappointing is the fact they put everything else on the back burner while Anthem was getting developed which caused other projects like SWTOR to be neglected.

It's hard to justify letting SWTOR waste away, when Anthem ended up launching with so many problems after so many years of development.
Pookiemane SF Suffocates
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.