Skank/Shank tanks still OP in dps gear

Icykill_

Common Bioware... you nerfed every spec into the ground.., but skank tanks can still do 6-8 mil in pvp and not die

I’m not asking you to nerf their abilities or their proper dps output in while in tanking gear (which is how you balance the numbers internally).... but there needs to be something done to change this situation of them stacking dps gear...

The only solution I can think of that doesn’t require ability Nerfs is a debuff if they wear dps gear... this should work like Bolster used to when we had expertise.., if the tank goes over a certain amount of stats... they lose something else like health or power... this would stop them from stacking crit and power at the expense of defence and shield

I know this will be controversial for all those people using these dps builds... but if you want to dps... change spec... or learn to tank

Edited by Icykill_

what is a skank tank? :t_redface:

Tank specs that wear DPS gear. It is a PVP thing, as right now if you're a tank spec it's better to gear as a DPS than in tank gear. It's been a frequent source of complaints because some warzones have too much guard and there isn't much of a tradeoff in tanks choosing to gear as DPS...they can DPS almost as well as an actual DPS, still have guard, and still have a tank's durability.

With defensive stats such as defence, absorb and shield being totally useless in PvP, tanks in warzones have for years now used DPS gear (as in Power Mods and Alacrity/Critical Enhancements) with a varying degree of endurance. This is done to ensure that they maintain their "tankyness" and ability to use HP to guard healers while still being able to dish out surprising amounts of damage.

Naturally, their potential DPS output is lower than a normal DPS, however with heavy defensive capabilities they often take a long time to kill.

To avoid turning this into a "New Player Help" thread tho, the best solution for this situation wouldn't be anything close to what Icykill_ is suggesting but instead simply readdress how defensive stats work in PvP and ensure that they are prefered over DPS stats for people who play the tank role. Giving players a debuff for playing their class and role efficiently is quite a ridiculous idea, almost as absurd as a ping floor, the real issue is defensive stats viability vs player damage profiles, not the gearing part.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

They're still the better choice because tank stats do very little to keep you alive. Autocrits laugh at the shield effect and force/tech attacks laugh at defense.

If you're looking across the field at, say, a lot of arsenal mercs or marksman snipers, defense is a little more interesting because those depend heavily on landing ranged attacks.

Common Bioware... you nerfed every spec into the ground.., but skank tanks can still do 6-8 mil in pvp and not die

I’m not asking you to nerf their abilities or their proper dps output in while in tanking gear (which is how you balance the numbers internally).... but there needs to be something done to change this situation of them stacking dps gear...

The only solution I can think of that doesn’t require ability Nerfs is a debuff if they wear dps gear... this should work like Bolster used to when we had expertise.., if the tank goes over a certain amount of stats... they lose something else like health or power... this would stop them from stacking crit and power at the expense of defence and shield

I know this will be controversial for all those people using these dps builds... but if you want to dps... change spec... or learn to tank

1. Are discussing end game pvp or you still in the lowbie bracket?

2. You need to find the healer in that group because no skank tank is doing those numbers & no death without a pocket healer on the side. lol

Obviously a tank who charges into the battlefield while wearing a slave dancers bikini, durr. :D

^ 10/10 BEST COMMENT ON THE FORUMS! lol Love it! :D:p

Maybe I should try it. :eek:

Behold people of the forum...owing to Bioware holding a gun to my head for the blasted companion, I made Centurian today. Name obliterated to protect the less than innocent. :eek:

https://i.imgur.com/YzpbUV7.png

I love your apartment.......... It's so beautiful and homie, comfy and cozy...... I wish i had 1 like that, oh well :(

1. Are discussing end game pvp or you still in the lowbie bracket?

2. You need to find the healer in that group because no skank tank is doing those numbers & no death without a pocket healer on the side. lol

^ 10/10 BEST COMMENT ON THE FORUMS! lol Love it! :D:p

And Most likely a guy. :/

I love your apartment.......... It's so beautiful and homie, comfy and cozy...... I wish i had 1 like that, oh well :(

Thank you so much :) What a kind thing to say. Y'know it just takes a bit of time fussing around with decorations. I'm sure you could come up with something lovely too. :)

this is the definition of skank according to google :

Derogatory term for a (usually younger) female, implying trashiness or tackiness, lower-class status, poor hygiene, flakiness, and a scrawny, pockmarked sort of ugliness. May also imply promiscuity, but not necessarily. Can apply to any race, but most commonly used to describe white trash.

so skank tank is tank who does above act , you are welcome

Behold people of the forum...owing to Bioware holding a gun to my head for the blasted companion, I made Centurian today. Name obliterated to protect the less than innocent. :eek:

that is pretty muchnthe only title any of my toons wear and the one i like the most so far only four of them have(bh, sniper, knight) my mistake three i have been grooming a merc healer and will try my hand at trooper healing wz's

interestimgly enough my first venture into pvp was a merc healer and then into sniper while on girrada then shadowlands my knight was my second favorite but as soon as i think i might becoming good something happens and i just plummet never thought of using dps gear on a tank. in fact since i gear moatly for pve i dont think i am geared well ar all. i also can pnic easy so ther is that

I've explained this to the point where i'm almost sick of explaining this, but here goes.

I'm a tank main and have been since pre-2.0. I started PvP tanking in the 3.0 era. I swapped to dps out of protest to dps getting guard in 5.0. After a miserable hypergate that included dying 15 times, i swapped back to tanking.

I run a skank tank. The def/shield/absorb gear does nothing (or next to nothing) for me. So long as my survivability is not noticeably better running my def/shield/absorb gear, there is no reason to run it. So i run with dps mods/enhancements of the high endurance variety.

As for the other problem of there being too many skanks, I will say I have seen more, especially guardians and pt. what dps classes get smooshed in seconds? guardians and pt. Additionally, the people that want to dps that run skank generally aren't even pvp tanking properly. pvp tanking is not about dealing crap loads of damage. In fact you are sacrificing some damage for survivability simply because of spec. If a tank is topping dps boards, it's because of aoe fluff, not actual kills. I can guarantee i killed more in vigi; in some matches i do more overall damage as tank because i survive more. I haven't died more than 10 times a match since i swapped back. that was incredibly common before.

On the dps is guarding omg he's a tank front, i have no sympathy at all. just go kill him and be done with it.

In conclusion, fix either the squishiness of guardian and pt dps specs and/or make def/shield/absorb somehow useful in pvp. If you kill damage to tanks, you also kill aggro holding ability in pve. Additionally, some pve dps checks are tight as it is. So i do not feel nerfing tank damage solves the problem. It merely nerfs tanks in pve.

ps yes i have read the changes in 5.6. I personally do not find them very promising but hopefully i'm wrong.

6-8M is highly unlikely. Highest could be 4M and that's already a stretch. Nothing constructive here, I think you're just butthurt and you need some cheese for that whine.

And Most likely a guy. :/

Thank you so much :) What a kind thing to say. Y'know it just takes a bit of time fussing around with decorations. I'm sure you could come up with something lovely too. :)

that is pretty muchnthe only title any of my toons wear and the one i like the most so far only four of them have(bh, sniper, knight) my mistake three i have been grooming a merc healer and will try my hand at trooper healing wz's

interestimgly enough my first venture into pvp was a merc healer and then into sniper while on girrada then shadowlands my knight was my second favorite but as soon as i think i might becoming good something happens and i just plummet never thought of using dps gear on a tank. in fact since i gear moatly for pve i dont think i am geared well ar all. i also can pnic easy so ther is that

I honestly don't get this, OP asks a serious question that is important and in need of addressing as well as discussion, and yet you people are unable to let something else than yourself take the stage and try to shift the discussion into some type of roleplay outfit discussion? Sad

I run a skank tank. The def/shield/absorb gear does nothing (or next to nothing) for me. So long as my survivability is not noticeably better running my def/shield/absorb gear, there is no reason to run it. So i run with dps mods/enhancements of the high endurance variety.

As for the other problem of there being too many skanks, I will say I have seen more, especially guardians and pt. what dps classes get smooshed in seconds? guardians and pt. Additionally, the people that want to dps that run skank generally aren't even pvp tanking properly. pvp tanking is not about dealing crap loads of damage. In fact you are sacrificing some damage for survivability simply because of spec. If a tank is topping dps boards, it's because of aoe fluff, not actual kills. I can guarantee i killed more in vigi; in some matches i do more overall damage as tank because i survive more. I haven't died more than 10 times a match since i swapped back. that was incredibly common before.

On the dps is guarding omg he's a tank front, i have no sympathy at all. just go kill him and be done with it.

In conclusion, fix either the squishiness of guardian and pt dps specs and/or make def/shield/absorb somehow useful in pvp. If you kill damage to tanks, you also kill aggro holding ability in pve. Additionally, some pve dps checks are tight as it is. So i do not feel nerfing tank damage solves the problem. It merely nerfs tanks in pve.

ps yes i have read the changes in 5.6. I personally do not find them very promising but hopefully i'm wrong.

You are completely right on that point. The main issue with tanks at the moment is that there is no interest for players to play with the dps spec, because they are squishy as hell. So they resort to dps gear on tanks to compensate. And this isn't going to get better with 5.6, Powertech/Juggernaut/Assassin dps will be as or more squishy than before, while tank stay the same or win a slight bonus.

The fun part, like I said earlier on another post, is that they replaced the skill tree with Discipline Path to avoid multi-spec, who where completely OP at the time. But with the incoming changes and the lack of overall improvement to the gameplay, players are looking more and more at those new hybrid class, who are definitely more interesting to play than the junk BW is trying to make us play.

Funny how we're going back to this old problem, because the class balance team do not play their game. Isn't it ? :rak_03:

Edited by supertimtaf

I honestly don't get this, OP asks a serious question that is important and in need of addressing as well as discussion, and yet you people are unable to let something else than yourself take the stage and try to shift the discussion into some type of roleplay outfit discussion? Sad

The usual suspects.

Y

The fun part, like I said earlier on another post, is that they replaced the skill tree with Discipline Path to avoid multi-spec, who where completely OP at the time. But with the incoming changes and the lack of overall improvement to the gameplay, players are looking more and more at those new hybrid class, who are definitely more interesting to play than the junk BW is trying to make us play.

Funny how we're going back to this old problem, because the class balance team do not play their game. Isn't it ? :rak_03:

damn right.

come on BW, it was such a awful freaking idea to make DWT possible! thats too much sand laying around in the themepark

damn right.

come on BW, it was such a awful freaking idea to make DWT possible! thats too much sand laying around in the themepark

The idea could be interesting if tank ability (taunt/guard) were more effective as a tank, and if melee dps weren't so quick at dying too.

Tanks are fine in terms of damage, the issue here is dps who deals too few/cannot take enough and the healers who are wat too slow or weak to keep them alive.

Agree, that this option exists and is so OP compared to real tanks is a joke to begin with - it always was. Most people in pvp are not even aware and cluelessly comapre "cheat" tanks dps to real tanks dps.

I took my real tank into warzones for the first time in years over the weekend. It was pretty sad. I never died, but not because tanks are so awesome but because I only tickle people so they ignore me. So I toss out my taunts and guard and grapple. I could run a DPS spec and still do those things. I could wear DPS gear (skank) and get a better return. BW needs to come up with a reason to be an actual tank in PvP. That would help with the skank tank issue.

I was talking about the title and then my experience, albeit minor, with Tanking in PvP. overall, i do not see an issue here. you have a player, and this is based off just the replies in this thread, that tends to get beaten down while in a dps spec and in dps gear. so, they jump over to the tank spec for a bit more survival. they use dps gear for the advantage it provides in both damage output and complements their spec. why do they do this? as kendra noted, there is little use in using actual tank gear.

so I ask: what exactly is the problem? is it that they can survive a bit longer and put out decent to good damage (and in some cases, excellent damage)? Is it that you take issue that they dont conform to what you want a certain spec to do?

to gain a better perspective, i will need to take my jugg and start setting him up to be a tank in dps gear. Ill read up on the guides, set up my keys, and see what i can figure out. my guardian is already in dps spec with pve dps gear so i will have something to compare it towards. and, if i find that i can survive longer and put out damage to help my team...then i would definitely re-evaluate my current gearing and spec. it just seems that some folks have determined a way to increase their enjoyment of PvP and others are a bit upset.

to add: that apartment does look nice. im a minimalist, now, and barely have my tat or nar shadda SHs outfitted. but intend on taking some time over the christmas holidays and updating it while, for the first time, partaking in the life day celebration.