Should companions be allowed in/on a PVP phase/instance

Deadpoole

I don't recall since launch if BioWare has ever tried to prevent using companions in/on PVP instance. I've finally gotten around to see/play the new planet since its released this past week (bought a 19' Stingray & loving the ride) so I figured it would be fun to go into the PVP instance to see what happens. As the video shows it was difficult for me to eliminate the Republic's companion (speaking for myself of course) so I wondered maybe BW can do a trial run before or at the start of the upcoming expansion. Don't know if the logistics with respect to the gaming mechanics would prevent this; so I pose this question to the public. If you think my concern is not important...its ok...I'll understand the +'s &-'s to this post...have a nice day...

I disagree with removing companions from PVP instance. It provides for a different form of PVP that we don't get in WZ. It needs different tactics so its becomes fun in its own way. Certainly it changes the balance. but that's not a bad thing. You were fighting a Shadow Tank there, and any tank class is going to be top of the tree in Open world because they can protect their companion.

For example: I main a Guardian skank 258, and I was attacked by a 258 Sniper while I was in the middle of a mob fight. 1v1 in a WZ environment, or in a duel outside of WZ, this is a battle I would lose. The sniper would push me away, root me and slow me down. Whenever I get close they would roll. Even with all my utilities set to cleanse and give me speed, its near impossible to beat a good sniper for my skank. But.... in open world, different matter. They can push me away and I jump back to their companion. They focus my healing companion, and never make a dent in her health, because with guard, taunts and guardian leap I can absorb too much of the sniper's damage output. I can protect my healer while still doing enough damage to take their companion down. After that if they aren't a stealth class, its short work of finishing them off.

Does this make me near impossible to beat in Open world with companions, yes. Is that a bad thing? No. If you remove companions from Open World then you end up with the same balance that WZ and 1v1 has. At least right now we have something different. Suffice to say if you go into open world, go in knowing that Skank tanks are King, just the same as when you go into WZ and you know that Scoundrels / Operatives are King. Its just different. So if you see a Shadow or Guardian with guard already on his companion in Open World, Its probably best not to attack. Just the same as you wouldn't bother with an Operative in WZ if you saw them alone and can't call in help.

I don't recall since launch if BioWare has ever tried to prevent using companions in/on PVP instance. I've finally gotten around to see/play the new planet since its released this past week (bought a 19' Stingray & loving the ride) so I figured it would be fun to go into the PVP instance to see what happens. As the video shows it was difficult for me to eliminate the Republic's companion (speaking for myself of course) so I wondered maybe BW can do a trial run before or at the start of the upcoming expansion. Don't know if the logistics with respect to the gaming mechanics would prevent this; so I pose this question to the public. If you think my concern is not important...its ok...I'll understand the +'s &-'s to this post...have a nice day...

Couple of things

1) They're not a bad player or tank (they've played a while from what I remember of them, honestly I don't recognize you :p)

2) They're a tank guarding their comp (you can see the icon)

3) You couldn't do enough dps alone vs healer + tank, and shadow + healer couldnt do enough damage against you

Edited by RACATW

I disagree with removing companions from PVP instance. It provides for a different form of PVP that we don't get in WZ. It needs different tactics so its becomes fun in its own way. Certainly it changes the balance. but that's not a bad thing. You were fighting a Shadow Tank there, and any tank class is going to be top of the tree in Open world because they can protect their companion.

For example: I main a Guardian skank 258, and I was attacked by a 258 Sniper while I was in the middle of a mob fight. 1v1 in a WZ environment, or in a duel outside of WZ, this is a battle I would lose. The sniper would push me away, root me and slow me down. Whenever I get close they would roll. Even with all my utilities set to cleanse and give me speed, its near impossible to beat a good sniper for my skank. But.... in open world, different matter. They can push me away and I jump back to their companion. They focus my healing companion, and never make a dent in her health, because with guard, taunts and guardian leap I can absorb too much of the sniper's damage output. I can protect my healer while still doing enough damage to take their companion down. After that if they aren't a stealth class, its short work of finishing them off.

Does this make me near impossible to beat in Open world with companions, yes. Is that a bad thing? No. If you remove companions from Open World then you end up with the same balance that WZ and 1v1 has. At least right now we have something different. Suffice to say if you go into open world, go in knowing that Skank tanks are King, just the same as when you go into WZ and you know that Scoundrels / Operatives are King. Its just different. So if you see a Shadow or Guardian with guard already on his companion in Open World, Its probably best not to attack. Just the same as you wouldn't bother with an Operative in WZ if you saw them alone and can't call in help.

You make a valid point. I didn't take into account what stance he/she was in. I just assumed since he/she stealth into the this fight that he/she was just a regular DPS. To be honest I didn't know the "Tank" class were this formidable (haven't played much)....thanks for the feedback....

lul

no.

Tell me what class can take down a Skank + healing comp properly guarded in Open World then? Like I said, I've had well known 258 Snipers try to take out my Kira, with Kira just facetanking them and taking NO damage, all the while I take their companion out. Closest anyone ever got was a Concentration Sentinel who managed to take out Kira slightly before I took her companion, leaving us 1v1, at which point she lost.

You will notice that a companion doesn't have a resolve bar. Any class that can mezz your companion for 1 minute (sorc, merc, op, sin) will automatically win against your skank because you will be alone and they will have their healing companion.

You will notice that a companion doesn't have a resolve bar. Any class that can mezz your companion for 1 minute (sorc, merc, op, sin) will automatically win against your skank because you will be alone and they will have their healing companion.

Actually I have had that happen, and they didn't win. I've even done it to other people using my scoundrel and shadow. But when done to me they haven't been able to defeat me before my companion wakes up. I can still interrupt, stun and delay them long enough for my companion to get in the fight. If they put their rank 50 companion on damage and then mez mine, then yes I would concede I should go down pretty quickly. But I guess all the ones that have tried it so far have still had their comp on healing, which means I'm effectively still going 1v1 and just need to stay alive long enough for comp to revive. Easy.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Tell me what class can take down a Skank + healing comp properly guarded in Open World then? Like I said, I've had well known 258 Snipers try to take out my Kira, with Kira just facetanking them and taking NO damage, all the while I take their companion out. Closest anyone ever got was a Concentration Sentinel who managed to take out Kira slightly before I took her companion, leaving us 1v1, at which point she lost.

buddy....ok. I'll rewrite that for you:

Any tank class can be top of the hill in 1v1 ow fights.

:rolleyes:

That's like saying, of all the brain-dead beasts of burden, my brain-dead donkey will outlast the other brain-dead oxen, horses, and ponies wandering the desert.

it's still a brain-dead donkey wandering in the desert.

Edited by foxmob

buddy....ok. I'll rewrite that for you:

:rolleyes:

That's like saying, of all the brain-dead beasts of burden, my brain-dead donkey will outlast the other brain-dead oxen, horses, and ponies wandering the desert.

it's still a brain-dead donkey wandering in the desert.

No need to be bitter just because companion duels are different tactically to WZ or 1v1 duels. You've stated that I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I recognise your name from GSF in Darth Malgus? So feel free to come and show me that I am wrong. I have no issue being proved wrong and will happily accept it and concede that you are right if you can beat me in a companion duel.

Actually I have had that happen, and they didn't win. I've even done it to other people using my scoundrel and shadow. But when done to me they haven't been able to defeat me before my companion wakes up. I can still interrupt, stun and delay them long enough for my companion to get in the fight. If they put their rank 50 companion on damage and then mez mine, then yes I would concede I should go down pretty quickly. But I guess all the ones that have tried it so far have still had their comp on healing, which means I'm effectively still going 1v1 and just need to stay alive long enough for comp to revive. Easy.

Except they could just re-mezz your companion. Did you know the merc/sorc mezzes run for a minute, yet have only a ~52s (with alacrity) cd? Yes, that means they can mezz your companion permanently and your skank tank can do nothing about it.

Except they could just re-mezz your companion. Did you know the merc/sorc mezzes run for a minute, yet have only a ~52s (with alacrity) cd? Yes, that means they can mezz your companion permanently and your skank tank can do nothing about it.

Fair comment, no argument from me. No one ever seems to think of that though.

No need to be bitter just because companion duels are different tactically to WZ or 1v1 duels. You've stated that I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I recognise your name from GSF in Darth Malgus? So feel free to come and show me that I am wrong. I have no issue being proved wrong and will happily accept it and concede that you are right if you can beat me in a companion duel.

lul GSF. dumbest waste of pvp resources in the galaxy. figures you play that.

I'm on SF.

I don't dispute that you can fudge your way through a 1v1 skanking and guarding your comp. my point is that that's not how OW works. you might find a lone stealth looking for a random gank, but OW is functionally the gree event where 2 or more ppl grp up and gut you and your companion. then you either port back to the safety of a pve instance or you call on some friends and an actual OW pvp fight breaks out for 10-60 minutes. I take it you never experienced ilum before the gree changes?

but you just go ahead and have fun organizing your little "1v1" fights with comps and calling it OW PVP. ;)

Edited by foxmob

lul GSF. dumbest waste of pvp resources in the galaxy. figures you play that.

I'm on SF.

I don't dispute that you can fudge your way through a 1v1 skanking and guarding your comp. my point is that that's not how OW works. you might find a lone stealth looking for a random gank, but OW is functionally the gree event where 2 or more ppl grp up and gut you and your companion. then you either port back to the safety of a pve instance or you call on some friends and an actual OW pvp fight breaks out for 10-60 minutes. I take it you never experienced ilum before the gree changes?

but you just go ahead and have fun organizing your little "1v1" fights with comps and calling it OW PVP. ;)

Why you gotta be like this? Do you talk to people in real life like this? Have ever managed the art of a civil conversation? I could retort, and if it was a civil chat I would, but yeah, I think we agree on one thing, neither of us wants to talk to the other anymore.

As some people mentioned it at least brings a different kind of PVP. You have quite a few ways on how to approach this. You can be tank+healer, dps+dps, dps+healer etc. There are different companions, some are stronger, some weaker etc. There is also the possibility to use heroic moment and Unity.

So I would leave it as it is.