Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a decent assist feature please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Can we get a decent assist feature please?

Almghty_gir
12.14.2011 , 06:38 PM | #1
is it so much to ask that we be able to very simply:
assign a main assist/focus target
be able to all target their target

without having to jump through hoops to do it?

currently you have to find the person you want to assist, click on them (since there's no /target function), then do target of target. in the world of pvp that's actually a pretty big deal, especially when you could literally just have the party leader assign a main assist player, and everyone just press "assist main assist" and be done with it.
Bruglir Fellblade - Dark Jedi.
Guild leader - Vulgar Display of Power
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

lsarii
12.14.2011 , 07:00 PM | #2
Obviously this will be put in when the macro system is put in.
Torm's Super Awesome Team

Almghty_gir
12.14.2011 , 07:07 PM | #3
i thought they weren't doing a macro system?
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Riulassher
12.14.2011 , 07:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Almghty_gir View Post
when you could literally just have the party leader assign a main assist player, and everyone just press "assist main assist" and be done with it.
Yes, it is effective.

But the game is better without it. Coordination is too simple and effortless with this, even a total noob can keep up with assist train with a single button...

Almghty_gir
12.14.2011 , 07:18 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Riulassher View Post
Yes, it is effective.

But the game is better without it. Coordination is too simple and effortless with this, even a total noob can keep up with assist train with a single button...
i agree in some regard, but come on, not even being able to do /target "playername" as a single button?

basically we're being forced to be clickers :P
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Aaron_G
12.15.2011 , 01:28 PM | #6
I'll be perfectly honest: I think that implementing the Assist function into TOR would be absolutely and completely ridiculous.

MMOs are "Massively Multiplayer". We as players are supposed to interact. If the computer were to do everything for us in video games, video games wouldn't BE video games, but just pretty cinematic digital animations for us to watch. Players need to work together to win a PvP match and be able to do it again without getting bored. Boring PvP is PvP that nobody wants to play. The Assist function simply takes away teamwork and PvP combat becomes entirely centered around the numbers.

The implementation of an Assist feature in an MMO inevitably leads to "Steamroller" PvP. A group of people move together focusing on one player at a time, as determined by the Group Leader off of whom the group members are Assisting. If the other team isn't doing the same, they will almost surely lose. If the other team IS doing the same, PvP is a one-dimensional match of who gets the lucky combat rolls first and who has the better gear. Like I said, a game of numbers. No strategy.

An Assist feature takes the dynamic out of PvP. BioWare would do well to not make the same mistake of implementing this function as SOE did with Star Wars Galaxies.

There is a nice middle-ground between the "let's kill this game" Assist feature and not allowing players any way to intricately interact with their teammates and enemies. This is the "Target of Target" User Interface feature.

Say you see a teammate of yours being beat up pretty bad by a couple people. Do you want to see who they are targeting, thinking that the player they are focusing on might have the lower health of the two attacking him? Target your teammate, see if its true, and go from there. Do you want to see who you might need to throw a Kolto heal off to? Cycle through your enemy targets and see who they're beating up and who is being beat up the worst.

A Target of Target UI feature allows enough user decision to not strip an ounce of dynamic out of PvP. It actually enhances PvP dynamic. It leaves players to make the choices of who they want to focus on. Everybody can contribute to the force of taking down an enemy faction group, instead of there being one person making the moves and everyone else hammering on their Assist button.

Target of Target would be great to see implemented. Assist would kill PvP. Let's not see the latter ruin this game. We don't need another SWG Developer Team.

Pistols
12.15.2011 , 01:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaron_G View Post
Assist would kill PvP.
An assist macro doesn't make people good, and if it's available to everyone, I fail to see the logic in your post.

Jargonaut
12.15.2011 , 02:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaron_G View Post
I'll be perfectly honest: I think that implementing the Assist function into TOR would be absolutely and completely ridiculous.

MMOs are "Massively Multiplayer". We as players are supposed to interact. If the computer were to do everything for us in video games, video games wouldn't BE video games, but just pretty cinematic digital animations for us to watch. Players need to work together to win a PvP match and be able to do it again without getting bored. Boring PvP is PvP that nobody wants to play. The Assist function simply takes away teamwork and PvP combat becomes entirely centered around the numbers.

The implementation of an Assist feature in an MMO inevitably leads to "Steamroller" PvP. A group of people move together focusing on one player at a time, as determined by the Group Leader off of whom the group members are Assisting. If the other team isn't doing the same, they will almost surely lose. If the other team IS doing the same, PvP is a one-dimensional match of who gets the lucky combat rolls first and who has the better gear. Like I said, a game of numbers. No strategy.

An Assist feature takes the dynamic out of PvP. BioWare would do well to not make the same mistake of implementing this function as SOE did with Star Wars Galaxies.

There is a nice middle-ground between the "let's kill this game" Assist feature and not allowing players any way to intricately interact with their teammates and enemies. This is the "Target of Target" User Interface feature.

Say you see a teammate of yours being beat up pretty bad by a couple people. Do you want to see who they are targeting, thinking that the player they are focusing on might have the lower health of the two attacking him? Target your teammate, see if its true, and go from there. Do you want to see who you might need to throw a Kolto heal off to? Cycle through your enemy targets and see who they're beating up and who is being beat up the worst.

A Target of Target UI feature allows enough user decision to not strip an ounce of dynamic out of PvP. It actually enhances PvP dynamic. It leaves players to make the choices of who they want to focus on. Everybody can contribute to the force of taking down an enemy faction group, instead of there being one person making the moves and everyone else hammering on their Assist button.

Target of Target would be great to see implemented. Assist would kill PvP. Let's not see the latter ruin this game. We don't need another SWG Developer Team.
Complete and utter total hyperbole.
Mcpodd Stomp, Ithilmar's Chosen, Vengeance Juggernaut.

GlobalMMO.com - MyToons

Aaron_G
12.15.2011 , 02:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
An assist macro doesn't make people good, and if it's available to everyone, I fail to see the logic in your post.
Did you play SWG? Do you have firsthand experience with an Assist function in an MMO?

Smashbrother
12.15.2011 , 02:50 PM | #10
Lol @ people complaining about other people being organized. Seriously? Assist target does not = auto win. Often times, people need to switch targets due to battle conditions (like getting snared, another healer enters fight), so the argument that assist target would somehow take away decision making from players is utterly false.

And for the most part, I used assist targeting mostly during PvE. So that I would only attack the same targets as the main tank.