Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs
06.09.2017 , 09:00 AM | #531
I do have a question for the RPers...

As long as you're segregated on your own server, doesn't that impact your ability to draw in new RPers? If it were an instance that I could load into, like a PvP instance, wouldn't that increase exposure to RP and potentially enlarge the RP playerbase?

I understand the fear of griefing...but that's why I think we need better policing of chat...I just don't quite understand how isolating RPers helps RP grow and attract new RPers. It doesn't effect me in the least, just as many people despise PvP, I have no desire to RP...but I would be curious to observe an RP server/setting...I just won't create or move a character to experience it.

So...how does segregating your community help in the long run exactly?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DWho
06.09.2017 , 09:07 AM | #532
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
There's a risky way around that restriction though. You can just switch to PvP. On almost any planety that's not Gree Event Ilum, that's basically a guarantee that you'll be the one amongst like 2 or 3 people on the instance. And since it's segregated from PvE, you're never at risk of the instance shutting down.
True, but as you say it is risky and people do that but its a low risk now because of the "low" number of people on planets. There's not many people there now because the planetary populations are low enough that competition for objectives is not an issue but would increase as competition increases. Right now its not "profitable" for PVP griefers to hunt 2 or 3 people in those zones. If you would substantially increase the server population, how long before it would become "profitable". What if there were 20 people on that instance, or 30, or whatever. I know PVP griefers are a minority but all it really takes is one (sort of like toxic chat trolls - maybe not many on Harb but it really ruins the experience when one is around). One could say that moving off an underpopulated server to one with a higher pop entails no risk. If Bioware would implement a period of free transfers, would that satisfy the people who want to be on higher population servers (or maybe give every new character one free server transfer - though that would be riskier with gold spammers about)?

Eshvara
06.09.2017 , 09:16 AM | #533
Back during the DvL event I levelled a toon on a RP server, the people were pretty friendly and it was very different from my server TRE. Honestly, if I was an RP'r I wouldn't want to merge either, it's like dumping trash into your own backyard.
That aside, nobody on the RP server wants to PvP and flash points take a lot longer too, suggesting to skip dialouge in FP's you've seen isn't appreciated either and they"in my experience" really won't. Merging an RP server with the rest won't make a difference, they're not interested in anything but RP'ing.

I even asked a handful of people what people usually do around here and they all explained my experience, either RP or nothing really.
If a merge ever happens, they should be left out, they don't want to be merged with us and it won't give us any more realistic players to play with.

Anyway that's my experience. Leave the RP'rs alone!!
#Arcannite
💫Darth Malgus💫

EzioMessi
06.09.2017 , 09:19 AM | #534
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
Back during the DvL event I levelled a toon on a RP server, the people were pretty friendly and it was very different from my server TRE. Honestly, if I was an RP'r I wouldn't want to merge either, it's like dumping trash into your own backyard.
That aside, nobody on the RP server wants to PvP and flash points take a lot longer too, suggesting to skip dialouge in FP's you've seen isn't appreciated either and they"in my experience" really won't. Merging an RP server with the rest won't make a difference, they're not interested in anything but RP'ing.

I even asked a handful of people what people usually do around here and they all explained my experience, either RP or nothing really.
If a merge ever happens, they should be left out, they don't want to be merged with us and it won't give us any more realistic players to play with.

~cries profusely because he misses his (now dead) RP-PvP home server~
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Attair - Level 70 Sentinel
If you like my comment, please click my referral link for free goodies for both you and
me: http://www.swtor.com/r/3XbB9h

flavmad
06.09.2017 , 09:28 AM | #535
I don't understand what's so dificult in creating a new toon in a new server.

With server merges you lose your legacy, your character name, your guilds... all that. The same as if you create a new toon there.

There are people who chose their servers for a reason. I, for example, chose an RP server, for what it offers. But I also have a couple toons in a PVE server, when I want to focus more on such content.

Asking for a server merge is ultimatly selfish, because you force all the other players to start again, when they're perfectly happy with their server's population. If you're not happy with yours, then create a new toon in a new one. I'm completly against merging servers.

Ratajack
06.09.2017 , 09:36 AM | #536
Quote: Originally Posted by EzioMessi View Post
Thing is though, one of the playstyles needs support and the other doesn't. If someone is on a dead server and wants to play with others, there isn't much they can do except transfer off of it completely. If someone is on a populated server and wants to be isolated they can go to their stronghold, switch instances, put enough people on their ignore list, turn off chats, turn down the display limits on their graphical settings, and just not run any group content.

One style needs catering and support to even be possible. The other needs people to inconvenience themselves for 5 seconds. So anyone who's against mergers or transfers simply due to liking isolation isn't making much sense; they can remain isolated on a populated server, but groupers can't group on a dead server.
Go to their stronghold? That makes it difficult to do any "content", does it not?

Switch instances? Not possible most of the time, as there is all too often only one instance.

Ignore players? Ignore lists are only so big, and ignoring players in chat does nothing about players "stealing" open world objectives or the increased competition for those open world objectives.

Turn off chat? Why should Johnny have to turn off chat? Turning off chat also does nothing about players "stealing" open world objectives or the increased competition for those open world objectives.

Turn down graphics settings? Why should Johnny have to turn down any graphics settings? Turning down graphics settings also does nothing about players "stealing" open world objectives or the increased competition for those open world objectives.

Both styles need support, not just one or the other.

casirabit
06.09.2017 , 09:39 AM | #537
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I do have a question for the RPers...

As long as you're segregated on your own server, doesn't that impact your ability to draw in new RPers? If it were an instance that I could load into, like a PvP instance, wouldn't that increase exposure to RP and potentially enlarge the RP playerbase?

I understand the fear of griefing...but that's why I think we need better policing of chat...I just don't quite understand how isolating RPers helps RP grow and attract new RPers. It doesn't effect me in the least, just as many people despise PvP, I have no desire to RP...but I would be curious to observe an RP server/setting...I just won't create or move a character to experience it.

So...how does segregating your community help in the long run exactly?
I don't mind the new people observing. My problem is not so much the "smart mouths" as I can ignore them. It is the ones that emote specific things that I have a problem with. I am patient up to a point but some people emotes can be a bit much. I love to have new people who are genuinely interested in watching.

In addition some of us actually roleplay in operations and flashpoints so my problem is when you join a group like that doing the roleplay in a flashpoint or operation you should be accepting of it especially if you are the only one not roleplaying and the rest are. I think most of us do not have a problem with having others on the server but having the server known as a roleplay server is a plus as we can tell them look you are on a roleplay server, while you are not expected to roleplay, you will have to accept that others do and you should be respectful of that.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Tisaren
06.09.2017 , 09:41 AM | #538
Really, what is the problem with RP'ers keeping their own server(s) in case of merged servers? Can someone, for once, explain to me why players who DO NOT WANT to participate in PvP/OPs/raiding should be forced to move to a merged server? How will this add to the number of players available for PvP or group content? Such a move will only destroy the enjoyment of the game for the players who are forcibly moved.

I can only hope that Bioware (when the time comes) will consider the arguments of RP'ers (who, in general, seem to be happy enough where they are) in this thread.

Again, it is NOT the RP community that is asking for a server merge. There are several reasons for why they do not.

EzioMessi
06.09.2017 , 09:42 AM | #539
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Go to their stronghold? That makes it difficult to do any "content", does it not?

Switch instances? Not possible most of the time, as there is all too often only one instance.

Ignore players? Ignore lists are only so big, and ignoring players in chat does nothing about players "stealing" open world objectives or the increased competition for those open world objectives.

Turn off chat? Why should Johnny have to turn off chat? Turning off chat also does nothing about players "stealing" open world objectives or the increased competition for those open world objectives.

Turn down graphics settings? Why should Johnny have to turn down any graphics settings? Turning down graphics settings also does nothing about players "stealing" open world objectives or the increased competition for those open world objectives.

Both styles need support, not just one or the other.
If Open World objectives being "stolen" is such a big problem, what exactly is Bioware supposed to do about it....

Open World objectives being stolen causes a respawn timer's worth of inconvenience.

Group content is literally impossible in every sense of the word if you play on one of the dead servers (like the old PvP servers).

In an inconvenience vs game-breaking problem situation, it's pretty clear one of the styles should be getting a lot more catering.
The Harbinger - The Raider Legacy
Attair - Level 70 Sentinel
If you like my comment, please click my referral link for free goodies for both you and
me: http://www.swtor.com/r/3XbB9h

casirabit
06.09.2017 , 09:43 AM | #540
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post

That would depend. Our guild does pvp, (well my boyfriend lol), flashpoints, uprisings, and sometimes an operation but we also rp in those. We do not just stand around and do nothing but since we have a guild we normally group with each other. Occasional when we need an extra person we will join group pickup to get another person but we do like the cut scenes unless we have seen then a million times but then we ask if everyone has seen them and if we all have then we will skip them but if one person hasn't then we do not skip the cutscenes even if it is just one person. We want the other person to be able to see the cutscenes and we don't worry over a few extra minutes.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj