Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
09.13.2017 , 06:49 PM | #2741
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
From reading your posts about how toxic Harbinger is, you would think the world was falling in. That is not my experience over the last few years and it doesn't even come marginally close to what you experienced over a two week period. Either you are the most unlucky person in the game to attract griefers and trolls or you are exaggerating for dramatic effect to support your false belief that Harbinger is as toxic as you claim
That's the RP'ers fake narrative of repeating that Harbinger is toxic when in fact it is a standard PVE server much like Shadowlands was before it died. They also have a disdain for people typing LFG on fleet as if that is some kind of crime that needs to be frowned upon.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to head over to Ebon Hawk and report every person emoting my character when I'm waiting for a pop on fleet.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 06:55 PM | #2742
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
That's the RP'ers fake narrative of repeating that Harbinger is toxic when in fact it is a standard PVE server much like Shadowlands was before it died. They also have a disdain for people typing LFG on fleet as if that is some kind of crime that needs to be frowned upon.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to head over to Ebon Hawk and report every person emoting my character when I'm waiting for a pop on fleet.
Speaking of fake narratives..... ^^
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Jdast's Avatar


Jdast
09.13.2017 , 07:10 PM | #2743
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
Okay Dale Carnegie just realize I've played on every server and Harbinger certainly isn't my origin server and while on Ebon Hawk I've run into ERP'ers offering lap dances right at the fleet spawn point. Never had that anyplace else.
Actually, I'm neutral on the subject. My experience mirrors Totem's almost exactly. I have characters on both TEH and Harbinger.

On Ebon Hawk, I had one creepy guy follow my female agent around about six months ago on the fleet. Nothing overt, just creepy. He quickly went on ignore. Never seen the lap dance scenario you describe. (Though I have seen plenty of slave girl outfits, frankly, on both servers). And, if I did have someone offer my character a lap dance, I would simply go about my business and not respond at all.

Based on my experience in MMOs, my inclination is that those doing that type of behavior are actually mocking RPers. That was certainly the case in WoW in places such as Goldshire on Moon Guard and the server I play on, Earthen Ring. As it turns out, ***** 13 y/os who like to grief exist in this world. They almost invariably get bored quickly if they get no response and leave.

On Harbinger, I've seen some smack talk, but that's about it.

Bottom line and granted my skin is thick but generalizing on either side is probably pretty dumb.

Dasty

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 07:14 PM | #2744
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Actually, I'm neutral on the subject. My experience mirrors Totem's almost exactly. I have characters on both TEH and Harbinger.

On Ebon Hawk, I had one creepy guy follow my female agent around about six months ago on the fleet. Nothing overt, just creepy. He quickly went on ignore. Never seen the lap dance scenario you describe. And, if I did, I would simply go about my business. Based on my experience in MMOs, my inclination is that those doing that type of behavior are actually mocking RPers. That was certainly the case in WoW in places such as Goldshire on Moon Guard and the server I play on, Earthen Ring. As it turns out, ***** 13 y/os who like to grief exist in this world. They almost invariably get bored quickly if they get no response and leave.

On Harbinger, I've seen some smack talk, but that's about it.

Bottom line and granted my skin is thick but generalizing on either side is probably pretty dumb.

Dasty
Earthen Ring! Brings back many old memories. It was a great RP server in Wow in it's heyday.

I agree with you that generalizing makes for much misunderstanding and conflict in forum discussions.

As for Harbinger... in my observations, it is less about smack talk in chat, or creepy ERP, and more about seeking out and trying to interfere with or disrupt RP in progress. Not that there is tons of RPing going on there.... because the community does not make it RP friendly in some cases and so either RPers never settle there to begin with, or they get driven to other servers to better avoid the nonsense.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.13.2017 , 07:14 PM | #2745
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
That's the RP'ers fake narrative of repeating that Harbinger is toxic when in fact it is a standard PVE server much like Shadowlands was before it died. They also have a disdain for people typing LFG on fleet as if that is some kind of crime that needs to be frowned upon.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to head over to Ebon Hawk and report every person emoting my character when I'm waiting for a pop on fleet.
I do RP casually too, so I see both sides of the discussion here, I've not seen people get upset on EH when I use LFG on the fleet. What is do see is them getting upset when it's spammed over and over in the space of a minute. But the same happens on Harbinger sometimes, especially when a select few of the ranked guys do it and people get upset with them. At least some of them use the pvp channel, so you can turn them off or just put them on ignore.
What I would like to see on all servers is a dedicated RP channel like the PVP channel and a special ignore list that you can put credit spammers on, instead of using your real ignore list.
Even though EH was an old RP server, there are just as many pve and pvp people there now because the other east coast servers have died. It's the go to east coast server, the same as Harbinger is the go to west coast one. Except for some of the Ranked pvp idiots on Harbinger (easy to put on ignore), the servers are pretty similar. The main differences I see is there are more pubs on EH than on Harbinger. Imps are worse at pvp on EH than Harbinger and Pubs dominate the pvp there for most of the day.
RP is the same and as I've pointed out, griefing is more likely on EH than Harbinger. About three months ago I witnessed a group of griefers interrupting an RP group on Korriban who were trying to do group photos. I've seen lvl 70s there spam dual invites to lvl 10s. That is extremely rare on Harbinger.
My partner just reminded me that before she stopped playing, we were on EH lvling up some alts on Tython and there was this troll griefer at lvl 60 running around spamming dual invites and then trolling in chat if people wouldn't accept. She's a pretty good pvper, so she stepped in to try and get this person to stop. After she convinced him to duel against her and she made a fool of him, he left.
My point is that EH is not less toxic than Harbinger. Both servers have slightly different issues though. Harbingers is the ranked pvp community. But if you don't play ranked, which most of the RP people complaining here don't, then all you need to do is put those fools on ignore. There are only about 15 consistent ones and they are only trolling other pvpers in fleet chat. On EH I see the occassional griefer even if they aren't personally griefing me, but I've not seen any on Harbinger in the last 12 months,
I also hardly see people spam emotes on EH anymore than Harbinger. They are about the same.
There is a lot of misconceptions about both servers based on second hand experiences and old data.

Edit : any talk of merging the two is ridiculous. One mega server for the US would kill the game. It needs one per region. So they wouldn't merge the biggest server from the east coast with the west coast. I think people should stop worrying about this if they are planing on keeping regional servers. The only thing to worry about is if Bioware decide to go the one mega server route for the whole game. That would pretty much F us all up and I'm surprised we arent all being loud and making sure Bioware don't do this. While ever we keep being divided and arguing about merging RP with pve or EH with Harbinger, Bioware will quietly go about their plans to possibly make one big mega server and I think we all know how disastrous that would be for the game. If anything was going to unite us against Bioware server changes, it would be stopping one big mega server for the game.
Solution to Character Slots after Merger
Link to thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=934059

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/lc5brk

fushnchips's Avatar


fushnchips
09.13.2017 , 07:16 PM | #2746
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Proof?

Sources? (sources that are not located behind you )
proof lol for saying the game would have gone well if it was B2P ?
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 07:20 PM | #2747
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
proof lol for saying the game would have gone well if it was B2P ?
Yep... You stated it as though it was fact... please provide the facts and sources supporting your assertion.

B2P is actually not that common a business model for MMOs, so there are limited data points to support it.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 07:21 PM | #2748
delete double post.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

fushnchips's Avatar


fushnchips
09.13.2017 , 07:34 PM | #2749
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Yep... You stated it as though it was fact... please provide the facts and sources supporting your assertion.

B2P is actually not that common a business model for MMOs, so there are limited data points to support it.
please go RP in game and not on the forums I have no time to RP with you.
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.13.2017 , 07:39 PM | #2750
This is a question for Casi, Andry and Rata. You guys are obviously RP people, which is cool, but may I ask, what is the main server(s) you play on and do you give them equal play time?

For the record I have characters on all servers, but my main servers are EH and Harbinger. I spend about 50/50 of my time on both and occasionally visit one of the other servers because I miss my characters there.
I split my game play into 40% PVE, 30% RP and 30% PVP.
Solution to Character Slots after Merger
Link to thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=934059

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/lc5brk