Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

omaan
07.29.2017 , 11:23 AM | #1541
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
Keith,

how about keeping it simple: offer free characters transfers to all the players.

While it's not perfect, as not everything is transferred with a character, it would certainly help and would be a quite a decent mitigation with the current server population issue.

Then in the background you can nail down all the whole server migration and database consolidation issues.
It is not a solution lol, 90 CC is not an issue: guild ships, some friends which refuse to leave for some reasons, re-decorating all strongholds after transfer are the reasons. People want server merge so they dont need to care about guild ships, some of their friends who are stucked for some reasons etc.

BraverDre
07.29.2017 , 11:24 AM | #1542
+ Please Merge Servers.. we need more social players combined with veterans. A lot of servers are dying. Since we pay for a sub to support bioware, we shouldn't support dead servers.

HuaRya
07.29.2017 , 11:32 AM | #1543
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post

I know you all know this, but I'll remind you anyway, if a server merge was the direction, then we need to make sure we understand the reasons why players don't want to move. We have hardware/software, connectivity, and database considerations. We also have a ton of in-game 'things' to consider like Legacy Cargo Hold slots across multiple-servers, decorations and Strongholds, currency caps, merging of Legacies, number of characters on a server, keeping guilds and guild assets intact, and more. You also have Conquests and the domination of large guilds over everyone else, area respawn rates, and so on.
At the very least you should narrow the options on where a new/inactive account can make a new character. Have a top 3 server choices based on region/population for the new player. Or at the very very least warn them that where they are making a toon on a virtually empty server.

Deewe
07.29.2017 , 11:38 AM | #1544
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
It is not a solution lol, 90 CC is not an issue: guild ships, some friends which refuse to leave for some reasons, re-decorating all strongholds after transfer are the reasons. People want server merge so they dont need to care about guild ships, some of their friends who are stucked for some reasons etc.
90 cc x 18 chars in my case, not that cheap.

Anyway I'm on an alive enough server
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

omaan
07.29.2017 , 12:44 PM | #1545
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Thanks for the /slap! Yep, we haven't been communicating anything about our server plans, but I have dropped a number of hints. Even in the interview I did, I said we are considering virtually everything in this thread, plus a ton of other technical details.

I know you all know this, but I'll remind you anyway, if a server merge was the direction, then we need to make sure we understand the reasons why players don't want to move. We have hardware/software, connectivity, and database considerations. We also have a ton of in-game 'things' to consider like Legacy Cargo Hold slots across multiple-servers, decorations and Strongholds, currency caps, merging of Legacies, number of characters on a server, keeping guilds and guild assets intact, and more. You also have Conquests and the domination of large guilds over everyone else, area respawn rates, and so on.

Lastly, as we've done with our East Coast servers, we need to upgrade the environment to ensure it's a great experience for everyone. I am very hopeful I can layout the game plan for you in the upcoming Roadmap. I'm not committing to that, yet, as there are a number of questions I need answered before I can give you any further insight.

Have a great weekend,

Keith---
It is either server merges or cross-server queues! You to choose but the choice MUST be made, that what players NEED. You have to options but you have no option to ignore and doing nothing, please choose.

Jdast
07.29.2017 , 12:53 PM | #1546
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
It is either server merges or cross-server queues! You to choose but the choice MUST be made, that what players NEED. You have to options but you have no option to ignore and doing nothing, please choose.
Dang, I'm really white-knighting in every thread today, but:

How many times does Keith have to say he needs more information before he can give an informed and productive answer?

Would you prefer he commit to one and then find out it is technically infeasible? That would be an awesome segment in: "Gee, what could possibly go wrong?"

Dasty the White-Knighting Hutt

JepFareborn
07.29.2017 , 12:56 PM | #1547
Having a 'Half-Life' moment, here.
I'm currently residing on Server - Satele Shan - formerly from The Harbinger and before that Gauntlet of Kreshh.

Otaktey
07.29.2017 , 01:21 PM | #1548
Due to my work schedule changing to second shift, we (Wife, two boys and myself) had to move to a west coast server. We were on shadowlands and moved to Harb. This way, when I get home at 2AM we can still get in OPS runs or PVP, or whatever. It is still primetime on the west coast. I promoted the cross server queue in the server merger thread, and many agreed, but Keith shot that down in the live stream, so we moved to Harb.
With that, it looks like the only option is server merging. I will say that it makes the game much less frustrating to be able to get online when you have time in your day and get your PVP dailies done or jump into the daily GF OPS. I loved the community on SL but it is dead at 2AM and takes longer to get a group than to run the content.
So after moving our guild to another server I want to give the devs this feedback:
1. I really sucked to have to pay 50mil to buy a guild ship and I only have 6.5mil earned towards my Republic ship. That is a crappy QOL for sure. Maybe let the guild master sell it back to the vendor for a "guild ship certificate" to get a new one later. That wouldn't be any kind of exploit, if you don't transfer, then you can just buy the ship back on that same server. Or go to the new server and cash it in for a ship there. Same as the unassembled component vendor works.
2. The decorations on the SL guild ships could have been taken to Harb if they would allow the guildmaster to pick them up, put them in storage before transferring that toon. Another crappy QOL! All of our OPS decorations are left behind.
3. Character names are just going to have to stay the way they are as there is no way to improve that and not take names from players on the destination server. As long as we allow alt-key codes in names, everyone should be able to get their names in some form or another.
4. One additonal observation between east and west coast servers, that mega servers will not address as of right now: The reason Harbinger is so active at all times of day, and East Coast server will never be this way is that players from Austrailia are playing on Harb. For east coast, the European players have their own servers. Therefore the primetime for Aussies, West Coasters, and second shift East Coasters players make it so there is activity 24/7. If the European servers were combined with the US East Coast servers, then the time difference in the other countries would make it so East Coast US servers would have activity more hours of the day. So making an East Coast mega server will still leave the prime time playability of the server the same as current. This is why I'm such an advocate of cross server queues.

Do not take this post as me complaining, I am only trying to provide information to the dev team to help the problem solving effort Keith has been encouraging since his promotion.
PS. hey Icykill, make some kind of comment on this so they will read it!

CrazyCT
07.29.2017 , 01:33 PM | #1549
Snowflake needs their own special thread?
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

Eshvara
07.29.2017 , 01:37 PM | #1550
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Dasty the White-Knighting Hutt
Someone has to do it.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫