THJ, bad story writing

TalonVII

It's interesting to me to see people saying they just don't connect with / care about the new trilogy characters, for me they feel more like well-rounded, realistic people than we've seen in a Star Wars movie in decades.

I find Rey, Kylo, and to a lesser extent Finn and Poe to all be more engaging than even Han was in the Original Trilogy, and far, far more interesting than any character in the Prequel Trilogy (Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan comes closest in those movies to being a character I could care about, but he's still miles behind any of the Sequel Trilogy's leads). The only characters in all Star Wars movies I've found myself more invested in than Rey and Kylo would be Luke and Vader, with OT Leia about on par with the "new kids". (But, of course, R2 is in a league all his own :p.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I found the movies lacking and too inundated with modern political ideologies I find distasteful. There are however some things I found interesting. Just not enough to make the movies palatable.

I enjoyed the first part of Rey's journey in the force awakens. I enjoyed her scavenger/ survivalist setup with a hint of naive. This crumbled near the later part of TFA as her Mary-Sue qualities "awakened" and totally derailed in Johnsons trainwreck.

I liked Poe's character, just not as much as Cassian Andor's from Rogue One. Finn, liked better a bit in tlj but just not that compelling. I appreciated Max Von Sydows cameo. I liked the R2D2 analogue, BB8.

Failed potential for me was Snoke. I came out of TFA excited to see a villain "worthy" of the dark side...only to be dismantled and irrelevant with Johnsons train wreck. I was looking forward to something epic with Luke.....but most see how that ended up....disgraceful. And, I was excited when I heard about Benadecio Del Torroes character DJ.....oh well.

Only thing that I found "neat" was the ship design of the dreadnaught star destroyer, all else was meh for me

Ps. Porgs are an ongoing joke in my home between my daughter and myself. I get various merchandise porg related for her like bobbleheads, posters ect. She even named her Guinea pig porg

Ashur

JJ might have had an idea for Snoke, but since they had nothing planned and let RJ do whatever he wanted it really didn’t matter.

Umm everything JJ set up qas basically s*** canned by RJ. RJ even said he had to live in a bubble to tell HIS story, not a story for us.

Umm everything JJ set up qas basically s*** canned by RJ. RJ even said he had to live in a bubble to tell HIS story, not a story for us.

(Not directly aiming this at you) So, take solace that TLJ is just a blip in the timeline. All it does is set up the Resistance as being decimated, Luke being a legendary hero (because, really only like 3 people know he died and just a handful of people saw him at all), Rey being a mysterious legend who's legend will grow because of Luke's legend, and Kylo Ren as being a ruthless tyrant. How it all happened is mostly irrelevant and this all took place in the space of like a few days or weeks or whatever it was.

JJ will pick this up and it will all make sense. He knows how to tell a story and I'm sure he knows how the "fans" have reacted. I don't have any idea what to expect from the next chapter. But, I'm curious to see how it plays out and that is a good place to be for me and for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Of course it wouldn't happen like that in "real life." This is a film and that was a quick, easy way to convey the intended emotion and consequence of the scene.

Win.

That's it, you're watching a movie, not a documentary. If you /really/ need an explanation for why publicly and why immediate - so he would be undercut and not be in a position to try something stupid. Which, of course, he did anyway.

But really I'm just here to mock the typo in the title of the post. How did you get from L to H as a typo?

JJ will pick this up and it will all make sense. He knows how to tell a story and I'm sure he knows how the "fans" have reacted. I don't have any idea what to expect from the next chapter. But, I'm curious to see how it plays out and that is a good place to be for me and for them.

I hope you're right about this. I haven't seen Abrams able to put a proper conclusion to a story. He's too fond of his mystery boxes full of crap, er, mystery.

I now wonder if JJ and Rian had no idea what to do with Snoke, so just killed him off.

I think they had planned to reveal him as Darth Plagueis, but considering the amount of fan theories predicting this, decided to just kill him off

Of the new movies I've really only enjoyed the anthology stories - but they decided to end them, :rak_evil:

Which was stupid. :/

Seriously, how could they be so stupid? One didn't do well, the other did really well. Why would they stop them after one failure? If it was the first one done and it failed, I can see why they were hesitant, but it wasn't.

Which was stupid. :/

Seriously, how could they be so stupid? One didn't do well, the other did really well. Why would they stop them after one failure? If it was the first one done and it failed, I can see why they were hesitant, but it wasn't.

I don't think they've completely put an end to them. I think they're just re-evaluating what the audience wants to see. I think we need more peripheral stories that don't involve the main characters (or maybe limit to a cameo). For instance, I really liked Solo, but I was not terribly excited about the story going into it. We know Han. We see him grow. We know what happens to him. The story of his youth just didn't need to be told because it wasn't anything alluded to earlier or really being asked by fans after the movies. But it did make for a nice action flick.

I think they are just making sure that they are going to put out products that people really want to see and that will bring value to the franchise.

For instance, I really liked Solo, but I was not terribly excited about the story going into it.

Same.

And taken a step further, my reaction when I heard that they were doing a Han Solo prequel / origin story was pretty much "eh, we'll see what they got", but my reaction when I heard there were also talks of a potential standalone Obi-Wan movie, a standalone Boba Fett movie, and/or a standalone Yoda movie was more "oh good God, no".

Edited by DarthDymond

Same.

And taken a step further, my reaction when I heard that they were doing a Han Solo prequel / origin story was pretty much "eh, we'll see what they got", but my reaction when I heard there were also talks of a potential standalone Obi-Wan movie, a standalone Boba Fett movie, and/or a standalone Yoda movie was more "oh good God, no".

The only one of those that makes sense to me is Boba Fett. We don't know a lot about him and his life, other than that he was a clone and saw his father murdered by Jedi. I'd love to know how he earned his reputation. Beyond that, we don't know (for sure) his end. He seems clever enough to escape the saarlac.

As someone who was there the day that the original SW opened in her home town, I have suffered through the Prequels, dear gods, how I suffered, waiting and hoping for some Sequels. Well, now we've had 2, and I hate them. Two of my favourite characters are gone, and the replacements are just meh. Or irritating. Or both. Nor do I wish to suffer through another 'Dark Lord in his stroppy teenage years' scenario with the pathetic Kylo Ren git. This game is now the only SW component in my life, and after 40 years of love, I am now left with cold, dark contempt for what SW has become in the movies. My move to the Dark Side is complete. :csw_vader:

This. So much this.

Sage fans are so quickly brushed aside and their love is left to die in the sand.

Was it worth it, attempting to attract a new generation of future spenders by alienating existing generations?

Forums ate what I was writing, but I’ll leave my TL;DR here:

Shut up, TLJ was amazing.

That's what you were meant to think. TLJ isn't a good movie, but some people are easily force persuaded into thinking it is.

sidenote: When I have to type a long forum post, I use a programming text editor that saves after every line. Notepad++ is the name. portableapps.com/apps/development is my favorite place to get it.

THJ, bad story writing

The Half Jedi

*Move along, move along.*

I think they had planned to reveal him as Darth Plagueis, but considering the amount of fan theories predicting this, decided to just kill him off
RJ is the type of person that isn't above doing something like this, he probably got a stroke of G.R.R. Martin while writing bits for THJ's story. "Oh the fans want this? Let me do the opposite." Edited by Falensawino