Boss difficulty

RickyMarino

Hi everyone!

I'd like some feedback about the champion mobs (those with the gold and silver icon): if I fight them and my pc is at their same lvl they'r usually too strong and I can't succeed. Since I can find this mobs in NON heroic areas I think they'r beatable in solo mode. Could it be a gear problem? I'm a sub but usually equip crafted gear or what I receive at the end of heroic missions while I'm leveling. Is it that bad?

I'm not equipping full purple items at the moment as it requires so much time to craft. I'm equipping a custom armor and I want to craft augments to upgrade it. I think the problem could be the armor has just green and blue mods. Any advice?

The pc is an assassin tank, I ended the story class some years ago, I returned to swtor and now I'm on makeb. I follow dulfy's guide for the rotation :)

Given all the facts you have stated that is really strange. If you are on level with the mobs then they could be challenging, thats true. In the past if you ran into the heroic area you would be smashed to bits.

Anyway, as a subscriber you will be gaining levels very fast. Then will outlevel the planet you are on and level sync will apply which will lock your level to several levels above the planets level and give you artificial stats. This means you dont need gear on a planet where you automatically get level sync.

Using the gear from heroics is the best you can do! It costs nothing and the gear is always at your current level. I am actually surprised you have issues with mobs as this really should not be the case. You can buy mods on fleet, but there is really no need to waste credits on that as you can get it free from those Heroic Mission crates.

Lastly you should have a companion, they tend to be overpowered and kill stuff before you even get to it. Maybe set your companion to heal, you can set the roles of companions now, they can either tank, heal or dps. So try that out, with a healer companion you should be unkillable.

Hi everyone!

I'd like some feedback about the champion mobs (those with the gold and silver icon): if I fight them and my pc is at their same lvl they'r usually too strong and I can't succeed. Since I can find this mobs in NON heroic areas I think they'r beatable in solo mode. Could it be a gear problem? I'm a sub but usually equip crafted gear or what I receive at the end of heroic missions while I'm leveling. Is it that bad?

I'm not equipping full purple items at the moment as it requires so much time to craft. I'm equipping a custom armor and I want to craft augments to upgrade it. I think the problem could be the armor has just green and blue mods. Any advice?

The pc is an assassin tank, I ended the story class some years ago, I returned to swtor and now I'm on makeb. I follow dulfy's guide for the rotation :)

Well, you mentioned Makeb, so I assume you encountered the champion mobs there? On Makeb, there are a few tougher-than-usual champion mobs. They are defenitly doable solo with a heal-companion, but you'll need to pay at least some attention to stuff like interrupts and placement etc...

In case you encountered these enemies elsewhere, you might also have run into a dvl-boss. they are basicly like worldbosses, but only spawn when light/dark is winning. On the first glance, one might mistake them for a normal champion mob (happend to me before :o), since they don't really stand out much, like normal worldbosses, but you will get your butt kicked by them, if you attack one of them alone.

But they only spawn on certain planets (DK, Cor, Tat, Ald, Hoth) and Makeb isn't one of them as far as I know.

Given all the facts you have stated that is really strange. If you are on level with the mobs then they could be challenging, thats true. In the past if you ran into the heroic area you would be smashed to bits.

Anyway, as a subscriber you will be gaining levels very fast. Then will outlevel the planet you are on and level sync will apply which will lock your level to several levels above the planets level and give you artificial stats. This means you dont need gear on a planet where you automatically get level sync.

Using the gear from heroics is the best you can do! It costs nothing and the gear is always at your current level. I am actually surprised you have issues with mobs as this really should not be the case. You can buy mods on fleet, but there is really no need to waste credits on that as you can get it free from those Heroic Mission crates.

Lastly you should have a companion, they tend to be overpowered and kill stuff before you even get to it. Maybe set your companion to heal, you can set the roles of companions now, they can either tank, heal or dps. So try that out, with a healer companion you should be unkillable.

First of all thank you for the advice about mods: i buy them on fleet or on the planets and they're a waste of credit, but I can't find their better versions in heroic missions' crates... Don't know why. Surely I'll look better for them.

The mob on Makeb I'm referring is at 55 and I fought it at 56 and 57. The second time I had the artificial stats set by planet level, so don't know what to think eccept for the gear, as my companion is a healer already (forgot to tell before, sorry).

Well, you mentioned Makeb, so I assume you encountered the champion mobs there? On Makeb, there are a few tougher-than-usual champion mobs. They are defenitly doable solo with a heal-companion, but you'll need to pay at least some attention to stuff like interrupts and placement etc...

In case you encountered these enemies elsewhere, you might also have run into a dvl-boss. they are basicly like worldbosses, but only spawn when light/dark is winning. On the first glance, one might mistake them for a normal champion mob (happend to me before :o), since they don't really stand out much, like normal worldbosses, but you will get your butt kicked by them, if you attack one of them alone.

But they only spawn on certain planets (DK, Cor, Tat, Ald, Hoth) and Makeb isn't one of them as far as I know.

The mob I'm referring has only one casting time ability eccept basic attacks: it's like a stun or something coz I can't attack while the mob is casting, what's strange is I cannot interrupt it, infact I get stunned while the cast bar is running.

It could be one of those dvl-bosses.

It's strange also because the pc and the mob have a HP difference not bigger than 10k HP. I don't think is too much at lvl 57, but I could be so wrong bout it ^^'

One last thing could be important: I made this assassin with light side choices before the time companions' stats were based just on your Presence and Affection... So at 57 my higher affection lvl is 16 or 17 with Ashara, but seems to be quite low, as my Vanguard has Affection 20 with Aric and it's at lvl 40. I could start to go for dark side choices, but would it be worthy? Is this a reason to delete a charachter!? I hope not

The mob I'm referring has only one casting time ability eccept basic attacks: it's like a stun or something coz I can't attack while the mob is casting, what's strange is I cannot interrupt it, infact I get stunned while the cast bar is running.

It's strange also because the pc and the mob have a HP difference not bigger than 10k HP. I don't think is too much at lvl 57, but I could be so wrong bout it ^^'

One last thing could be important: I made this assassin with light side choices before the time companions' stats were based just on your Presence and Affection... So at 57 my higher affection lvl is 16 or 17 with Ashara, but seems to be quite low, as my Vanguard has Affection 20 with Aric and it's at lvl 40. I could start to go for dark side choices, but would it be worthy? Is this a reason to delete a charachter!? I hope not

If you could give us the name of the npc, that would help in giving specific advise in how to handle the fight.

As far as companions go: I don't really like the inquisitor story, so I'm not 100% sure about it, but isn't Ashara a light-side companion? So going dark wouldn't help to raise her influence. Besides that, after Makeb you won't gain much (more like "any" tbh) influence through conversations anyway.

If you feel the need to have a stronger companion you can simply feed them with some gifts (Ashara loves Rep. mem. according to dulfy).

But unless your doing really challenging solo stuff (master chapters, soloing hm-fp's...) or need them for crafting, influence lvl 15-20 should be good enough to carry you through most solo stuff.

lol ok wait, we really need the description of the boss then :)

You started talking about heroic mobs, so I didnt suppose its something special. Yes, there are DvL bosses that you cant surely kill solo, those are meant for a BIG group of people and even those sometimes fail. Can you tell us the name of the enemy? Maybe upload the picture. If you google it, you will surely find the info on it. Swtor Spy has the info on all the mobs in the game so...... if its part of a quest or mission give us that name too, it will all help us to help you. As I said before if you get level sync, you should be fine unless you are fighting some special NPC like the mentioned DvL boss. A companion at rank 14 is good enough they help even at rank 1.

I've found it! It's Ka’pkar and you're right: they say you need a healer and a tank! My pc is a tank and my companion heals but you need a group! I didn't know of the existance of mobs like this in ordinary quest areas.

Thank you so much :)

P.S. Think I found another one in Dromund Kaas at the temple ruins years ago... ^^'

Edited by RickyMarino

First of all thank you for the advice about mods: i buy them on fleet or on the planets and they're a waste of credit, but I can't find their better versions in heroic missions' crates... Don't know why. Surely I'll look better for them.

The drops in heroic rewards (below level 60) are blue non-moddable complete gear pieces rather than mods for your moddable gear. That said, it's easy, for *armour* to use the heroic reward gear as stat-giving gear, and whatever you like the look of as "appearance" if you use the Outfit Designer tabs on the "C" character panel.

I've found it! It's Ka’pkar and you're right: they say you need a healer and a tank! My pc is a tank and my companion heals but you need a group! I didn't know of the existance of mobs like this in ordinary quest areas.

Thank you so much :)

P.S. Think I found another one in Dromund Kaas at the temple ruins years ago... ^^'

I took the time to hunt down the npc you mentioned, in order to see whether it's really that hard or you might have missed a mechanic or something. I took my sin-tank, so we could at least compare the specs, although mine is lvl 70 (down-synced to lvl 56/7 on makeb of course) and has some moderatly decent end-game tanking gear.

And, well, it has to be a gear thing I suppose, because I killed him with 0 issues. And I'm not saying that, because I'm an amazing tank or anything. Without me using a dcd my health barely dropped below 100%, in fact my heal-companion was hitting the npc more often than healing me, because there simply was nothing to heal. I would have killed him, even if I just used basic attack, so it can't really be a "learn to play" issue.

So make sure to get at least level-appropriate gear (on makeb you can also use a gsi-terminal to get an extra boost) and you should be able to handle him.

Thank you Steve for the advice! I'm already using outfits, but didn't know after lvl 60 mobs drop mods too.

I took the time to hunt down the npc you mentioned, in order to see whether it's really that hard or you might have missed a mechanic or something. I took my sin-tank, so we could at least compare the specs, although mine is lvl 70 (down-synced to lvl 56/7 on makeb of course) and has some moderatly decent end-game tanking gear.

And, well, it has to be a gear thing I suppose, because I killed him with 0 issues. And I'm not saying that, because I'm an amazing tank or anything. Without me using a dcd my health barely dropped below 100%, in fact my heal-companion was hitting the npc more often than healing me, because there simply was nothing to heal. I would have killed him, even if I just used basic attack, so it can't really be a "learn to play" issue.

So make sure to get at least level-appropriate gear (on makeb you can also use a gsi-terminal to get an extra boost) and you should be able to handle him.

Thank you for your feedback! Actually the mods of my Assassin are green quality as when I began to play 3 years ago I didn't get the gear mechanic, so I used mods I found on planet's vendors even if fitting appropriate level. Then I rejoint the game and as first I trained crew skills appropriately. Now I'm trying ti find the best alternative with crafted gear and heroic missions gear so I can replace those green mods.

Thank you Steve for the advice! I'm already using outfits, but didn't know after lvl 60 mobs drop mods too.

Thank you for your feedback! Actually the mods of my Assassin are green quality as when I began to play 3 years ago I didn't get the gear mechanic, so I used mods I found on planet's vendors even if fitting appropriate level. Then I rejoint the game and as first I trained crew skills appropriately. Now I'm trying ti find the best alternative with crafted gear and heroic missions gear so I can replace those green mods.

Don't get too hung up on the green-ness of the green mods. When 4.0 came out, a lot changed, and the green post-4.0 mods are approximately equivalent to blue pre-4.0 mods of the same level. As long as you aren't grossly under-level and your gear also isn't grossly under-level, you should be OK in most solo content in the game. There are a couple of exceptions to that: the optional side-story "Destroy the Star Fortress" missions that you can do after completing Chapter IX of Knights of the Fallen Empire, and the big fights in the very end of Knights of the Eternal Throne.

The key thing on pre-70 gear is that if you're having difficulties, it's still of benefit to get the highest requires-level you can wear, even if you are above the local Level Sync cap. Level Sync caps Mastery, Power, Endurance and Health, but leaves all your other stats alone, so better gear still gives you a benefit. (More outgoing damage because of critical hit rate and improved alacrity for DPS, more outgoing healing for the same reason for healers, and better defensive values - absorb, shield, and defense - for tanks so you take less damage.)

If you could give us the name of the npc, that would help in giving specific advise in how to handle the fight.

As far as companions go: I don't really like the inquisitor story, so I'm not 100% sure about it, but isn't Ashara a light-side companion? So going dark wouldn't help to raise her influence. Besides that, after Makeb you won't gain much (more like "any" tbh) influence through conversations anyway.

If you feel the need to have a stronger companion you can simply feed them with some gifts (Ashara loves Rep. mem. according to dulfy).

But unless your doing really challenging solo stuff (master chapters, soloing hm-fp's...) or need them for crafting, influence lvl 15-20 should be good enough to carry you through most solo stuff.

This doesn't matter like it used to. Your companions will increase in influence regardless of your choices--HOWEVER, their personalities still influence (no pun intended) the amount of points that you get. So in Ashara's case, if you make a dark side choice, she will gain influence, but not as much as if you had made a light side choice (depending on the mission it can be by hundreds of points, and in a couple cases I've seen a thousand point swing).

You can no longer gain negative influence like you could before 4.0

Make sure to use terminal on Makeb too to gain extra buffs. and anything you find on Makeb you'll walk through

Heh does that thing still work?? I though wil level sync they would remove that one. It was key to the powerleveling (12x xp) as you went only for class quest and then at level 47 to makeb to get this buff and get to like 60.

This doesn't matter like it used to. Your companions will increase in influence regardless of your choices

This isn't true.

* Greatly approves: +400

* Approves: +200

* Disapproves: +50

* Greatly disapproves: 0

* Meh: 0

But the point about being unable to reduce their influence is correct. The worst you can do is zero.

EDIT: Argh. Disapproves is only +65 if you have the full +30% legacy-panel perk active. Normally it's +50. Fixed.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Thank you all, it's so useful to know how affection was managed through patches.

I'll follow suggestions about gearing i suppose: it seems to be the only thing that could be good to upgrade. I always boost the charachter with those terminals on Makeb.

Edited by RickyMarino

This isn't true.

* Greatly approves: +400

* Approves: +200

* Disapproves: +50

* Greatly disapproves: 0

* Meh: 0

But the point about being unable to reduce their influence is correct. The worst you can do is zero.

EDIT: Argh. Disapproves is only +65 if you have the full +30% legacy-panel perk active. Normally it's +50. Fixed.

Thanks for the clarification. I often take for granted all those legacy perks because I unlocked them years ago

I guess I never notice anymore the greatly disapproves results because I know how every companion will react in most cases, so if they're going to greatly disapprove I won't bother to bring them on that mission.

Edited by aerockyul

Heh does that thing still work?? I though wil level sync they would remove that one. It was key to the powerleveling (12x xp) as you went only for class quest and then at level 47 to makeb to get this buff and get to like 60.

lol yeah it still very much works! its great