Rank the Star Wars Movies

MajorZuma

What are everyone order of the movies from Favorite to least Favorite. The Clone Wars Show and Rebels can be included in your list. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, dont feel pressured to jump on any bandwagons.

My list so far:

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

A New Hope

Clone Wars Series (Filoni)

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens

Rebels

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Yeah my list Is not exactly the norm. I really thought the Clone Wars series was the perfect incarnation of SW staying true to the EU Legends, while also providing unique and epic storylines true to Star Wars. And I liked ROTJ over ANH, just because I think it's more epic and complete and a satisfying end to the original trilogy with Vaders Redemption. Plus the Vader and Luke scenes are some of my favorite scenes in all of SW.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Listed in order from best to least good)

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi / The Force Awakens (tie)

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

I can't really rank movies vs entire runs of TV series, so separately ranking the shows against each other:

The Clone Wars

Rebels

Edited by DarthDymond

Return of the Jedi

A new hope

Empire strikes back

Rogue 1

Rebels

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

The Clone Wars(I'll never forgive them for screwing up Bariss Offee's story)

Attack of the Clones

Phantom Menace

Ewok movies of the 80s(yes I remember them)

My list is from best to worst.

Return of the Jedi

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars Rebels cartoon

Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

Phantom Menace

I do not count Rogue One, or Force Awakens as Star Wars movies. Rogue One had to little story in it for SW it seemed to just push us from one action scene to the next which made it a great action movie, but a bad SW movie. And as for Force Awakens, Disney should feel ashamed for even thinking of making that piece of garbage.

Edited by Toraak

First, is this about OBJECTIVE quality or about our SUBJECTIVE likes / dislikes? I'll go with latter:

1. Empire Strikes Back: A lot happens here, it's very, very morally gray and otherwise rather dark, very nice script, dialogue and directing...overall it's what I'd call a "masterpiece of Cinematography".
  2. Rogue One: Betcha you saw this coming. Anyhow, I like the grittiness of it all, how nobody is really right and even Krennic is, ultimately, an idealist, it ties the Prequels and the Original Trilogy perfectly and it functions as its own movie just fine. Oh and it also functions perfectly as an adjunct to ANH. Yeah, there isn't a big sweeping story like say in GoT, but I don't really need any of that crap. Masterfully executed simple idea >>> averagely executed elaborate idea. My biggest gripe with this one is the fact that the first act is...drab and the biggest issue is the music. It's...there? Is it? The movie would've been 10x better if the music was better. Oh and the photography and visual effects! OMG :o :o :o <3 . I also like action movies very much tyvm! And I like SWTOR Trooper, if that's relevant(there's like 99% chance it is).
  3. Revenge of the Sith: The last 45 minutes of this are just...otherworldly. Yeah, the dialogue is still Lucas-y, but the acting and the overall design of the movie is FAR BETTER than its two predecessors. Don't believe me? Listen to James Rolfe / AVGN talking about it...he finished movie school and what not. Overall, I like it's stark darkness and the very dramatic tone. BUT! It could've used some comedy relief, come on! This is why K2SO is such an important character in R1.
  4. A New Hope: Just to make a distinction, this is practically a tie breaker with Revenge. They're very different movies and they should be watched in different mindsets or you'll be left wanting. Because one is (almost gothic) tale of selling the soul to devil(almost Faustian) and the other's a lighthearted adventure. I tend to like the atmosphere of Revenge more, so I put it forward. But this is a minute detail. ANH as a whole is better and more entertaining, but the last 45 minutes of Revenge...lol omg :eek::o.
  5. The Force Awakens: I rather liked this movie. Yeah, it doesn't have any brains and it's almost a complete rethread of what happened in ANH and is a rather awesome visual treat. Think of TFA as of a...Kelly Bundy. You know ;) . And I'm always entertained by it, but my overall feelings about it are.../meh. Could've lived without it tbh.
  6. The Attack of the Clones: Count Dookula! With that out of the way, it's an ok action flick. I rather like the second part, but I can live without it tbh.
  7. Return of the Jedi: This movie grates on my nerves so much! Yeah, it's probably better than both #5 and #6, but they at least entertain me! This just feels like someone's pushing his views on me and is a glorified overlong ad for pointless toys and merchandise. *********** Ewoks! How do they manage to do what they did with sticks and stones? COME ON! IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE(they're not even Force Sensitive)! Because "Ecology / Nature >>> Technology / Capitalism" obviously. **** off! Besides that, the ending on the Death Star's rather nice, the naval battle is epic and I rather like Luke's black outfit. But! I don't care for like 75% of movie!
  8. The Phantom Menace: It has...Maul, a Saberstaff, rather nice Fightsabre choreography and the Pod Racing. Yeah...ok? Is that it? One important thing to note is that...it doesn't have any nice looking woman in it! A bunch of girls, white faced whatever and...? . While I don't find Natalie nice(too...petite in EVERY way and the face's rather odd) and Carrie was a bit too masculine for my taste(maybe Leia's masculine, not Carrie, but meh -> oh I'm talking behavior wise), those are much better than 14 year old Natalie and co. I prefer Felicity myself. Oh, oh what am I babbling about? This movie sucks. It's bad, ok? It's like Star Wars for sub 12 year olds.

( I do not list cartoons, series or specials because this thread's about Star Wars MOVIES. I also can't wait to see The Last Jedi, but I'm not expecting much tbh. )

Edited by Cuiwe

( I do not list cartoons, series or specials because this thread's about Star Wars MOVIES. I also can't wait to see The Last Jedi, but I'm not expecting much tbh. )

I said in the Original Post, you can make your list to however you prefer pretty much. I had Rebels and Clone Wars in my list, it's honestly more of a list of all watchable SW rather than just movies.

I said in the Original Post, you can make your list to however you prefer pretty much. I had Rebels and Clone Wars in my list, it's honestly more of a list of all watchable SW rather than just movies.

Honestly?

I don't care about them.

My favorite Star Wars movie would be ROTS, despite some poor dialogue and overacting the story is just amazing, the execution of order 66 was the most beautiful scene in the franchise and the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was excellent.

My 2nd favorite would probably be ESB due to it's darkness, I don't think it trumps ROTS since in ROTS all the Jedi are killed and the republic is replaced by the Empire.

3rd would probably be Return of the Jedi, I know it has Ewoks but I actually like them and having Darth Sidious/The Emperor show up made the movie really interesting.

4th would be Phantom Menace, I love the movie despite Jar Jar and it was a good foundation stone for the rest of the prequels.

5th would be a New Hope. I like the movie but I actually think ou of the OT it's the weakest. It's a good foundation stone though.

6th would be AOTC, I think the movie is good but it's more of a bridge between PM and ROTS.

I liked TCW movie although I think that sometimes the comedic relief could've been handled better.

Hated TFA with the exception of the interrogation scene... before Rey mary sues her way out of it.

Still haven't watched Rogue One so can't make an opinion on that one.

Edited by FlameYOL

My favorite Star Wars movie would be ROTS, despite some poor dialogue and overacting the story is just amazing, the execution of order 66 was the most beautiful scene in the franchise and the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was excellent.

My 2nd favorite would probably be ESB due to it's darkness, I don't think it trumps ROTS since in ROTS all the Jedi are killed and the republic is replaced by the Empire.

3rd would probably be Return of the Jedi, I know it has Ewoks but I actually like them and having Darth Sidious/The Emperor show up made the movie really interesting.

4th would be Phantom Menace, I love the movie despite Jar Jar and it was a good foundation stone for the rest of the prequels.

5th would be a New Hope. I like the movie but I actually think ou of the OT it's the weakest. It's a good foundation stone though.

6th would be AOTC, I think the movie is good but it's more of a bridge between PM and ROTS.

I liked TCW movie although I think that sometimes the comedic relief could've been handled better.

Hated TFA with the exception of the interrogation scene... before Rey mary sues her way out of it.

Still haven't watched Rogue One so can't make an opinion on that one.

Yeah, like I said, the last 45 minutes or so(from Order 66 onwards) is probably the best Star Wars has ever been. You've large battles(though more Space Warfare wouldn't have hurt), epic duels, heart rending scenes...it is actually very good, surpassing EVERYTHING except ESB.

Actually there isn't a really bad moment in the movie. Except overacting and bad dialogue. One's left wondering whether they're connected to each other(whether overacting flows from /lol dialogue). I tried to find a part I didn't like and...there was no such part. Hm...

Such an underrated movie, it's criminal. And all because "it's prequels!" sheeple mentality. smh smh

Clone Wars Movie.

CW TV series that followed.

RotS.

AotC.

ANH.

TESB.

RotJ.

PM.

Vomiting.

The runs/squirts.

Swine flu.

The flu.

Rebels.

Episode 7 the plagiarism awakens.

2 mins of some chick crying in amongst 2 hours of showing ZERO emotion while the better characters are wasted movie/rogue one.

My list is from best to worst.

Return of the Jedi

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars Rebels cartoon

Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

Phantom Menace

I do not count Rogue One, or Force Awakens as Star Wars movies. Rogue One had to little story in it for SW it seemed to just push us from one action scene to the next which made it a great action movie, but a bad SW movie. And as for Force Awakens, Disney should feel ashamed for even thinking of making that piece of garbage.

I agree except that I actually liked Rogue, that Vader scene at the end just made me want Vader movie. Awakens was just garbage

I agree except that I actually liked Rogue, that Vader scene at the end just made me want Vader movie. Awakens was just garbage

oh it was a good action movie. I did like the vader scene, however the little story that was there was just forcing us from one action scene to the next. This caused me to give it a lower grade as a SW movie however. As a non SW action movie I gave it an grade of 8/10. For lack of Story however compared to even the prequels is the problem I have with it, and Episode 7. Because of this lack of real story both are downgraded as not counting as SW movies.

well to be honest movies are so diffrent that its hard to rank them... i mean old trilogy or... oldest... this is classic and its base of everything we know and love in star wars. but Lucas itself apart from the main idea imho didnt do good job as director so they are medicore.

then another 3 movies they were actually fail, apart from Obi Wan i didnt like these too much, especially Anakin ruined the movies for me and the dialouges... damn that was bad, but prequel memes made me rediscover these so i guess i they are still last among star wars productions but i dont rank them as horrible anymore :p

new movies, well 7th part might feel as its copy of a copy of a copy, but on the other hand this movie at last is what i wanted from star wars, i dont know it feels more complete than the old trilogy, but gotta wait for 8th and 9th part to be a judge of that.

rouge one was actually pretty decent though it didnt make much of a sense from time to time, suicides for no reason, crying for no reason etc.

not to mention they are trying really hard to show the grey area in star wars while the old ones lacked that sort of thing, now it feels like they are trying too hard.

so in the end i guess that gonna be something like that:

old one trilogy and new one going on pair, and the middle one going behind them. i wont rate specific positions because i feel these goes in packages of 3. :p

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

T - The Force Awakens/Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

The one caveat I have is that the end of Revenge of the Sith would be right up with Return of the Jedi, but the rest of the movie drags it down hard. :t_frown:

The Empire Strikes Back (Still a toss up between this one and A New Hope, but I'll go with Empire due to how the movie altered many story lines and of course the shock of Vader being Luke's father, and a killer light saber duel)

A New Hope (saw this in '77 and it was awesome as an eight yr old)

Revenge of the Sith (duel at the end of the movie was a little too long, but still epic)

The Force Awakens (replicated ANH way too much, but still a great movie)

Rogue One (The Vader scene at the end of the movie, finally displayed how great he really was. And a great story overall)

Return of the Jedi (I have it this low because of the horrible special effects during the speeder bike scene on Endor. When Lucas decided to add some cgi to his movies, those scenes should have been included.)

Attack of the Clones (Don't care for Christensen in these movies, but the action in Clones was nearly non-stop. Very good fight choreography)

The Phantom Menace (a lot of people don't care for this movie and I get why, questionable acting, etc., but it was still a decent entry with its origins and the Maul / Kenobi duel)

A New Hope (the best)

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

Rogue One

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

The Force Awakens (such a waste of time)

I hope The Last Jedi will be better than TFA, coz its not from Jrk Jrk Abrams and its gotta be more logically right.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. The Revenge of The Sith

4. The Force Awakens

5. The Return of The Jedi

6. The Attack of The Clones

7. Phantom Menace

8. Rogue One

I am have a ticket reservation for an eleven o clock AM show and a ticket for the nine o clock show on Wednesday. My intuition is saying that The Last Jedi is going to be my top three Star Wars movies ever. May The Force be with you.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Return of the Jedi

3. The Phantom Menace (TPM was a great movie except for Jar Jar.)

4. A New Hope

5. Rogue One

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. The Force Awakens (TBH I hated this movie but it had a better plot than AotC)

8. Attack of the Clones

9. TLJ

10. The Clone Wars (Movie, 2008. It was absolutely terrible).

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

1. The Last Jedi

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Revenge of The Sith

4. A New Hope

5. The Return of The Jedi

6. The Force Awakens

7. Attack of The Clones

8. Rogue One

9. Phantom Menace

Saw The Last Jedi tonight and was able to assimilate it fully which normally doesn't happen when I watch a Star Wars movie for the first time. I am speechless. If you can make a better Star Wars movie than that, you are the boss. It was perfect.

1. Revenge of the Sith - Palpatine transforms the Republic into the Galactic Empire, purges the galaxy of the Jedi Order and brings the Grand Plan of the Sith to fruition. Reason enough for me to rate it as the best movie of all. The acting in this one, especially from Ian McDiarmid, is spectacular and on point. The entire ambiance of the movie is expertly made in my opinion.

2. Rogue One - It's no surprise, really, the movie is just damn good. The characters are well written, the story is intriguing, the lore introduced is fascinating and just the entire movie is one solid piece of Star Wars-feels. Despite the fact there is only 1 lightsaber scene in it, the most epic scene of all scenes ever made, I strongly felt the typical Star Wars vibe present within it.

3. Return of the Jedi - Emperor Palpatine is featured in this movie a lot! Which is why it's on the well-deserved third spot. Yes, if they made a Palpatine anthology movie it would take over the first spot just like Palpatine took over the Senate. Returning to RoTJ, overall I like the tone of the movie, the Tatooine bit being somewhat dull but not to the point where it would impact the ambiance of the movie. It's a solid and great conclusion to the original trilogy with the classic good feels at the end of the good guys winning. Say what you want to say but I am always teary-eyed at the Endor celebration scene.

4. The Force Awakens - Yes, it wasn't the best Star Wars story made but I really liked it! The story, albeit largely heavily inspired by A New Hope, was still intriguing and the new setting it introduced was rather very interesting. I wish they had been more bold with the movie which is why it isn't in my top 3, but generally it made me feel the Star Wars feels nonetheless. Maybe having read the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodline after the movie helped in getting a better feel for it, but I really think people were too critical of it for the fact it echoed very familiarly.

5. Attack of the Clones - I enjoy the movie whenever it's on television or I do a Star Wars marathon! I rarely consciously think "hey let me rewatch Episode 2" but whenever it is on I remember "oh yes, this is a nice one!". There is humour in it, there is action in it and there is a rather nice story in it. We see the Sith's machinations in action and especially knowing where it will end with in Revenge of the Sith and having the Clone Wars series in mind, the movie gains in rating.

6. The Phantom Menace - Perhaps this movie rates sixth because I have rather fond memories of it from my childhood. Had you asked me as a 8 years old boy what my favourite Star Wars movie was I would have screamed "Episode 1" rather joyfully. I think I have watched The Phantom Menace hundreds of times as a child, but later, as I grew older, I started to see the flaws in the movie as well as understand the criticism it received. Yes, the Star Wars movies are supposed to be family-friendly in general, but Episode 1 overdid it. And don't get me started on Jarr Jarr... him I hated even as an 8 years old boy. Still, this was one of the first movies that got me into Star Wars and childhood memories flood me whenever I see it, so I still look down on this movie with a smile.

7. A New Hope - I know, this was the first Star Wars movie ever released and yet... I only watch it as part of a marathon or when it's on TV. However, unlike Attack of the Clones I don't get the "oh yeah, I forgot I liked this one" feeling. Princess Leia and Han have great characters and are expertly portrayed. But Luke? Leia may be a Princess in title, but Luke in this movie is the actual princess. A teenager who just learned his father was a Jedi? Who lost his only family he had? Who had to essentially flee his homeworld as a fugitive? I would have him portrayed so differently. The plot overall is good though, although the predictability is at times overdone. Yes, the Star Wars movies are fairly predictable in general but I feel it was somewhat overdone in A New Hope. Maybe the fact that the movie doesn't provide much lore (when viewed in the broader scope of the movies, series, books, comics and games) is why I am not that fond of it.

8. The Empire Strikes Back - I am going to get hate for this, I am sorry, very sorry, but I just don't like this movie that much. Really, I have skipped The Empire Strikes Back more than once in my marathons (in the past more than nowadays) because I just found it too boring. The entire action with the Millennium Falcon fleeing, the Bespin parts, training on Dagobah... it lacks something in my opinion. Some more depth perhaps because this movie feels very superficial to me. The only interesting part of The Empire Strikes Back in my opinion is Hoth, thus the beginning of the movie. But otherwise I am not overly interested in Episode 5 whenever I watch it. The movie just never managed to get to me they way it has to majority of the Star Wars fans, which is why it sadly is in the last spot on this list.

I am going to see The Last Jedi this Saturday so this list will be updated by Sunday. I am very excited to see the new movie as from the spoiler-free reviews it sounds like a very great addition to the Star Wars saga!

A note however that will perhaps help understand my rating list: I have always preferred the Expanded Universe over the movies, be it Legends or new Canon. KOTOR 1 & 2 remain to me the best Star Wars stories out there, overshadowing the movies greatly. The books, the games, the comics I always found to have more depth and in general be more interesting due to the fact they can tell stories that don't have the restrictions the movies have, those being time and the fact they have to be family-friendly. The Darth Bane trilogy for example stands way above the movies in rating if we'd be rating what our top Star Wars stories from all the content are, but I wouldn't see Disney making them into movies anytime soon since they are rather dark at times and require a more mature audience.

Edited by Ylliarus