The Truth About Rage

Aluvi

It's fine. It does not need nerfed more. Those of you that watch my stream or other marauders, or that have played PTS and gotten smashed for 10k - this is normal. You likely have not gotten your new pvp gear yet, meaning that my full Conqueror 100% min/maxed set is much, much better than your EWH or naked gear, or even partisan. When fully min/maxed, my mara has just shy of 30k hp. I get smashed typically for 6-7k. A 7k crit on a 30k health individual is far from game breaking.

Those of you running around with 22k hp, or in full PvE gear: yes, I will own you. I have far superior gear. I have around 200 more bonus damage, more surge, and about 8k more HP. Snipers and powertechs as geared as me hit just as hard, if not harder. I have a hard time keeping up with the single target dps of snipers now. Even lightning sorcs are extremely good now, and can do 7k + 9k crits, right in a row. They. Have. Nice. Burst. Zomg.

Those of you moaning need to have things put into perspective. Yes, the numbers have gone up. ALL the numbers. Smash is hitting slightly harder. So is everything else. Everyone went from 20k hp to 30k hp. That's a 50% increase in HP, across the board. I guarantee you my dps has not gone up by 50% in a typical match.

Please gear up on the PTS and run with a premade before you start complaining about "OMG OP". You got owned because you are not as geared or not as good.

/signed, your friendly neighborhood marauder.

Nice speech while sitting on + 30 % passive dmr from AoE.

Sniper burst were simply blown up with crit rating and crit from main stat changes.

Powertechs as far as I know in their nasty spec lost significant set crit bonus.

And sorcs, I found hilarious to compare insta AoE (smash) with single target (thundering blast) casttime ablility, which could be made uninterruptible (sic!) using some big CD.

So, all should go heavy RNG mode while rage have full control.

Now people say: wait a minute, there will be new gear with bigger stats and you will have your 30 + crit chance. I think, ok, I'll get my 30 + crit chance, while rage will get all bonus damage from it and nothing will really change.

Less qq more pew pew they said, it will be fun they said :D.

You "only" get smashed for 7k because you have a 30% aoe reduction

this - give smash a dmg dropoff from centre to the maximum effected range.100% at 1m radius, 50% down to 1% outside of it.

Edited by Tankqull

And we have that aoe reduction for good reason : we are a medium armor melee class. Many times the choice is either sit in the aoe or dont contribute damage. We don't have the luxury of moving out of it. I can also tell you that in general, my smash crits for about 7k, possibly 8 on a sorc. My record so far has been 11.2k on a 100% pve geared sage. I dont feel this is unreasonable given that he had 30k plus health and only the expertise given to him by bolster.

It's fine. It does not need nerfed more. Those of you that watch my stream or other marauders, or that have played PTS and gotten smashed for 10k - this is normal.

10k AOE hit with very low cooldown? :rak_02:

This is not normal!

And we have that aoe reduction for good reason : we are a medium armor melee class. Many times the choice is either sit in the aoe or dont contribute damage. We don't have the luxury of moving out of it. I can also tell you that in general, my smash crits for about 7k, possibly 8 on a sorc. My record so far has been 11.2k on a 100% pve geared sage. I dont feel this is unreasonable given that he had 30k plus health and only the expertise given to him by bolster.

A medium armor melee class with arguably the best defensive cooldowns in the game...

anyways I don't have an issue with smash and I play one of the squishiest specs in the game.

Wait.... I'm a scrapper who wears medium armor and I don't have 30% aoe damage reduction. For that matter, nor do I have 20% for 30 seconds, 25% tech/force with a 50% defense chance, 99% for 4 seconds, or 50% while camo'd. I assume my medium armor is just better than your medium armor :rolleyes:

A medium armor melee class with arguably the best defensive cooldowns in the game...

anyways I don't have an issue with smash and I play one of the squishiest specs in the game.

Only problem I have with Smash/Sweep is that they can have all the stacks and auto crit setup with out actually fighting anyone.

Wait.... I'm a scrapper who wears medium armor and I don't have 30% aoe damage reduction. For that matter, nor do I have 20% for 30 seconds, 25% tech/force with a 50% defense chance, 99% for 4 seconds, or 50% while camo'd. I assume my medium armor is just better than your medium armor :rolleyes:

You also get permanent stealth, multiple stuns, a permanent speed boost, more cc, and a hybrid spec that can not only kill, but also keep yourself and other teammates alive. Not to mention that the openers and stuns can pretty much take a player from 100% to 30% or less before they can even lift a finger. Oh and did I mention that you are the second best dueling class, beatable only by assassins? Your class is more fragile because not only does it have some of the highest burst damage in pvp, but it can lock down the target for the duration of that burst. It's like a combat rogue from wow on crack. Our claes are fundamentally different and fill different roles. Youre doing an apple to oranges comparison here. Also, if you didn't want to be the stealthy cloak and daggers type, you shouldn't have rolled that toon. Blaming my class for what you feel are your classes inadequacies is not fair.

Only problem I have with Smash/Sweep is that they can have all the stacks and auto crit setup with out actually fighting anyone.

I dont know if you are aware but this is only once every 2.5 minutes for marauders.

I dont know if you are aware but this is only once every 2.5 minutes for marauders.

I know it's a long CD it's just annoys me that they can have that kind of damage setup before they even enter combat. I'm also not a huge fan of getting leaped to immediately hitting my KB seeing the Smash animation go off 10 meters away and still getting hit for 5k.

I know it's a long CD it's just annoys me that they can have that kind of damage setup before they even enter combat. I'm also not a huge fan of getting leaped to immediately hitting my KB seeing the Smash animation go off 10 meters away and still getting hit for 5k.

That is latency problems, truth is you REALLY did get smashed when he leaped you, but the animation didn't go off until he was 5ft away.

Due to the reality of field respec in pvp, I would much rather have a sorc or powertech dps in ranked pvp than a marauder. Besides predation, they dont really serve a purpose that can't be done just as well by another class, especially in 2.0.

That cuts deep Rav, oh so deep. Guess ill be putting that full wh pt set to use after all TT.

Due to the reality of field respec in pvp, I would much rather have a sorc or powertech dps in ranked pvp than a marauder. Besides predation, they dont really serve a purpose that can't be done just as well by another class, especially in 2.0.

It is kinda true right now. I play a marauder and if predation didn't exist I guarantee you my spot on the rwz team would be replaced by a sniper or pt. People can complain about lolsmash all they want but the fact is carnage will always be better than rage for ranked play. Rage is fun for regs and inflating your epeen damage numbers but the fact is even with bubble stun gone it's not good enough for ranked. Not that it's terrible for ranked just that there are much better options.

I feel your pain. but it's a 10m diameter. that's 5m radius. he's only 5m away.

I think the concept that the hardest hitting ability should be an autocrit AoE has been flawed from the start and it still is.

However, in the original version of the spec, there were a few challenges and discomforts going with it. Focus/Rage management wasn't trivial and though good players didn't have problems, it was still a challenge and it made the spec somewhat uncomfortable to play in PvE. It added to the skill requirement. Smash's damage also wasn't instant but that was rubbish and needed to change, no complaints there.

With all the quality of life improvements and buffs the spec got, however, it became really really easy to play. Focus/Rage management is beyond easy now and will be even easier in 2.0 - the spec generates more resources than Vigilance... Instant autocrit AoE, easy rotation, no resource management: no wonder players flocked to the spec as you can put up huge numbers with it. It can also make regular warzones completely unplayable; with 4 smashers on each side your average life expectancy is about 5 seconds. And that's not fun.

The 2.0 changes change nothing in this respect.

1. Losing Stasis is a nerf to Sentinels but with the Centering mechanism they won't really care, they build Singularity so fast that they don't really need Stasis. For Guardians, the changes to Combat Focus more than make up for losing Stasis which was interruptable and generally the least reliable way to generate Singularity.

2. The 15% reduction in critical damage is the only outright nerf but Sweep/Smash is still the hardest hitting ability in the game and it still hits up to five targets - and it's still an autocrit which is more important than ever, with the changes to crit rating. Regular warzones will still be full of Smashers and it still won't be much fun to play against 4+ of them.

Not to mention he is getting smashed mostly by enemy players who do not have fully min-maxed conqueror gear, but most likely warhero or arkanian gear, meaning he gets further damage resistance from the extra expertise he has.

Aluvi is right though in that Lightning sorcs and snipers do ridiculous burst as well from 30 meters away.

Edited by LordExozone