Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Beginner's Bounty Hunter FAQ and Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Beginner's Bounty Hunter FAQ and Guide

Wallus
12.13.2011 , 12:58 PM | #21
Nice guide and solid job, wholeheartedly agree with everything from my own beta experience! Hope everyone takes the time to read this, could help them a lot. : )

MeanMartian
12.13.2011 , 01:05 PM | #22
I will gladly request for a sticky, if he can explain why his mercenary pyrotech spec picked up Gyroscopic Alignment Jets over Sweltering Heat. Do you really get stunned, knocked down, or immobilized that frequently?

DarthSpYke
12.13.2011 , 01:29 PM | #23
Awesome guide, thanks for posting it !

donnjon
12.13.2011 , 01:50 PM | #24
Are tank builds doing enough dmg to solo well, as an actul tank? Or are we looking at tanks that solo/lvl as dps and switch as the reach end game? I know in most game true tanks kills take so long that people lvl as dps. But this leads to too many people not knowing how to tank when the reach the end game content. I would like to lvl as a tank as long as its not going to kill more brain cells the wow fishing did. lol

AnubisXy
12.13.2011 , 03:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MeanMartian View Post
I will gladly request for a sticky, if he can explain why his mercenary pyrotech spec picked up Gyroscopic Alignment Jets over Sweltering Heat. Do you really get stunned, knocked down, or immobilized that frequently?
Really, when you get down to it, Sweltering Heat is more of a PvP talent than a PvE talent.

So for a PvE build, Sweltering Heat isn't a big deal. The AI in the game isn't fantastic, so enemies generally don't run away from you; when they do it isn't very far, usually just a few yards. Further, as a Merc, even on those rare occasions when they do run, I've never seen a mob run out of your attack range (unless they get bugged).

If you need to use snares frequently in Operations then yeah, spec into Swealtering Heat. But I can't imagine that happening - certainly it isn't the case right now.

At the same time, I'll admit that you don't get CC'd very often in PvE, but there are enemies who do knock backs or throw out snares or roots or stuns, even in raids. When that happens, an extra 8 heat dissipated isn't bad.

For end game PvE, I think you're going to get a little more use out of Gyroscopic Alignment than you'll get out of Sweltering Heat.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."

AnubisXy
12.13.2011 , 03:16 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by donnjon View Post
I would like to lvl as a tank as long as its not going to kill more brain cells the wow fishing did. lol
I'm actually leveling as a tank. You can tear stuff down just fine, and with Mako backing you up, it isn't too difficult to do some of the 2 player content, or gold star enemies, on your own without breaking a sweat.

You might kill a little slower, but it's a marginal difference. The Powertech puts out good damage regardless of spec.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."

CanadaBran
12.13.2011 , 03:22 PM | #27
Fantastic information. Thank you for taking the time to put that all together. Second, I plan on going Mercenary dps. Can anyone give me some suggestions for crew skills that will benefit me the most? Since I'm not in the game yet, I'm taking the time to plan out my skills, build, etc. so I can hit the ground running with a plan. Thanks again.

MeanMartian
12.13.2011 , 05:33 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AnubisXy View Post
Really, when you get down to it, Sweltering Heat is more of a PvP talent than a PvE talent.

So for a PvE build, Sweltering Heat isn't a big deal. The AI in the game isn't fantastic, so enemies generally don't run away from you; when they do it isn't very far, usually just a few yards. Further, as a Merc, even on those rare occasions when they do run, I've never seen a mob run out of your attack range (unless they get bugged).

If you need to use snares frequently in Operations then yeah, spec into Swealtering Heat. But I can't imagine that happening - certainly it isn't the case right now.

At the same time, I'll admit that you don't get CC'd very often in PvE, but there are enemies who do knock backs or throw out snares or roots or stuns, even in raids. When that happens, an extra 8 heat dissipated isn't bad.

For end game PvE, I think you're going to get a little more use out of Gyroscopic Alignment than you'll get out of Sweltering Heat.
Well, on closer examination my 'extra utility while soloing' argument for Sweltering Heat is shot to heck when soloing comes with one of two built in tanks. Gonna have to get used to that... thank you for the well thought out response.

BluePython
12.13.2011 , 05:41 PM | #29
/sticky

thanks.. loads of good info!

Sae-jun
12.13.2011 , 06:52 PM | #30
Thankyou, what a great thread.