The adventures of Forced Companion Daycare - Art!

bright_ephemera

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title illustration by kabeone:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/315579731/forced_companions_daycare_by_kabeone-d57vyvn.jpg

And kabeone's rendering of M1-4X's bad day with BABY ANDRONIKOS, BABY RISHA, and BABY TANNO VIK:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/201/6/c/not_the_turrets_by_kabeone-d57zi3h.jpg

Crezelle's illustration of BABY VECTOR being saddened by BABY KALIYO while BABY JORGAN finds himself up a tree:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/Crezelda/torbabies.jpg

Feel free to post your own!

Edited by bright_ephemera

You know what's really hard? Drawing! I don't do much of it. I would love to learn how to do cleaner black lines so I don't get all the white-and-grey artifacting while I'm coloring in. But a felt-tip pen setting appears to be insufficient? Anyway, have snack time with Jorgan and Guss:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/bright_ephemera/guss_and_jorgan_fish.png

You know what's really hard? Drawing! I don't do much of it. I would love to learn how to do cleaner black lines so I don't get all the white-and-grey artifacting while I'm coloring in. But a felt-tip pen setting appears to be insufficient? Anyway, have snack time with Jorgan and Guss:

Cute!

Some stuff about lines

If you are using photoshop or something like it, start by drawing at a much higher resoution. Downsizing your image will make your lines cleaner any artifacts will be much smaller as well.

Draw your lines on a transparent layer not the background with white or whatever color.

Make a new layer and trace over your sketch, try not to use short pecky strokes on your final layer but longer smoother ones.

If you are using a scanner then you should adjust the levels (Image > Adjustments > Levels) . You'll see a 2d graph where the spike is probably high on the right side and mostly low every where else. Move the middle carat to the right (that's the one for midtones) that will make the lines darker.

Make a new layer for coloring, you can put the layer under your line layer or if you prefer, put it over your line layer and set it to multiply. That will allow you to color over the lines slightly without messing them up.

I always set the opacity on my brush to 100% for final lines because I don't like having to press too hard to get the line dark, I use my tablets pressure sensitivity to control line width not opacity. Anything less and the lines are kind of weird (like the lines on my first two pics because I did not check my brush settings :o)

I'm not much of an artist but those are the tips that i've managed to beat into my head over the years. And if you're using MS Paint or something like that, you're pretty awesome because that program is awful :) If you're using a mouse to draw I bow to you.

Some stuff about lines

If you are using photoshop or something like it, start by drawing at a much higher resoution. Downsizing your image will make your lines cleaner any artifacts will be much smaller as well.

Draw your lines on a transparent layer not the background with white or whatever color.

Make a new layer and trace over your sketch, try not to use short pecky strokes on your final layer but longer smoother ones.

If you are using a scanner then you should adjust the levels (Image > Adjustments > Levels) . You'll see a 2d graph where the spike is probably high on the right side and mostly low every where else. Move the middle carat to the right (that's the one for midtones) that will make the lines darker.

Make a new layer for coloring, you can put the layer under your line layer or if you prefer, put it over your line layer and set it to multiply. That will allow you to color over the lines slightly without messing them up.

I always set the opacity on my brush to 100% for final lines because I don't like having to press too hard to get the line dark, I use my tablets pressure sensitivity to control line width not opacity. Anything less and the lines are kind of weird (like the lines on my first two pics because I did not check my brush settings :o)

I'm not much of an artist but those are the tips that i've managed to beat into my head over the years. And if you're using MS Paint or something like that, you're pretty awesome because that program is awful :) If you're using a mouse to draw I bow to you.

Additional drawing stuff:

I have a little Bamboo tablet and Corel Painter Essentials for input. I switch to Paint .NET, which has a decent subset of Photoshop's functionality, to start coloring.

I find layers mysterious and therefore frightening but should probably work out how to build them into the sketching process, especially for the lil' wispy lines to black outlines transition.

If chibi BioWare characters are what finally force me to learn my way around drawing and digital artistry, I will feel...well...I won't know what to feel. :rolleyes:

Some stuff about lines

Wow, this has proved tremendously useful! Keeping the sketch level on a separate, removable layer makes things much prettier. And the safety net of duplicating the inked layer for coloring? Me gusta. Doesn't improve my steadiness of hand during the inking stage any, but it's a start.

So thank you! :)

Wow, this has proved tremendously useful! Keeping the sketch level on a separate, removable layer makes things much prettier. And the safety net of duplicating the inked layer for coloring? Me gusta. Doesn't improve my steadiness of hand during the inking stage any, but it's a start.

So thank you! :)

Yay! Layers will spoil you forever.

Also this: Poor talos the first scene I draw him and he's crying.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/204/3/e/show_and_tell_with_kaliyo_by_kabeone-d58e0um.jpg