Another day, another Old Republic CSR rant

LordMercer

So I've been playing this game on and off since launch, and I recently returned after a sizable hiatus to find that most of the servers I had characters on were shut down. So my army of toons was moved onto servers automatically. Most of my day one characters lost their names for some reason. Annoying, but what can you do? I bought a rename token and tried to rename one of my two main characters, but it wouldn't allow me to chose the name I wanted, and it locked the rename to that character instead of keeping the item in tradeable form.

So the server everyone got moved to happened to have an alt character of mine there already. That character has the same exact name as my other main. I thought this was good news because I still had the name tied to my account, I just needed it swapped with one of my other characters.

I contacted the csr's to see if they'd be able to help me out by swapping the two character's names. They told me to piss off. Ok, fine. I sent another ticket in asking them to at least take that rename token I mentioned earlier and make it tradeable again, so I could try to manually rename the characters. They then told me to piss off again, and informed me that if I open another ticket concerning this issue, my account would be flagged.

I'm beginning to remember why I left in the first place. Do you have to fail a personality test to work for The Old Republic's CSR department? I mean honestly, where do they find these people? I could train sewer rats to treat customers better than these animals. I guess I should just be happy that they've done away with the condescending "protocol droid" csrs, but somehow I find myself wondering why these people care so little about the community they're supposed to be assisting. All I've asked them to do is either help me fix the character name cluster they started by shoving servers together all willy-nilly, or at the very least, make the damn rename I paid for tradeable again so I can actually use it.

I know nobody cares, but this is why a lot of my friends stopped playing. I want this game to be good, and I want to be able to make an argument for everyone to come back and give it another shot, but right now, I'm starting to feel like I should just cut my loses and leave again.

Edited by CommunityDroidEN

You do realize this is all on YOU, not the CSRs or Bioware, right?

YOU were the one gone so long that your characters lost their names when servers were merged. YOU were the one who used the name change token (which is spent on the character you use it on) without checking your other characters first. YOU were the one asking the CSR's to swap names on characters for free when everyone else has to buy name change tokens to do it.

You should have bought two tokens, changed the name of the alt with the name you wanted to something else, then popped over to the other alt and used the other token on that one. You didn't. You made mistake after mistake and now you want to bad mouth the CSRs because of your errors.

You really need to step up and just own your mistakes instead of complaining that no one "cares" or fixed your mistakes for free when everyone else has to "pay" to do the same thing.

I'm beginning to remember why I left in the first place. Do you have to fail a personality test to work for The Old Republic's CSR department? I mean honestly, where do they find these people? I could train sewer rats to treat customers better than these animals.

So the human beings working for CSR followed policy and rewarded players who were more loyal. I'm not detecting a problem, particularly since plenty of advance notice was given.

You may hate the message, but you seem intent on shooting the messenger. There were very clear protocols established for how naming would work -- you simply were gone too long.

It really is that simple.

<<sips martini>>

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Boy, the Bioware shills are out in force tonight. Since it seems like you didn't read the entirety of what I wrote, let me ask both of you this: is asking for them to make the item I PURCHASED tradeable again a huge imposition? I'm not asking for something free. I literally paid for it and I'm asking to be able to use it.

If you think CSR's threatening the accounts of customers who've asked them two DIFFERENT questions about a legitimate issue is appropriate, you're part of the problem. Maybe you should consider filing an application with them, since you seem to have the same "let them eat sh*t" attitude of the Old Republic's customer service department.

Boy, the Bioware shills are out in force tonight. Since it seems like you didn't read the entirety of what I wrote, let me ask both of you this: is asking for them to make the item I PURCHASED tradeable again a huge imposition? I'm not asking for something free. I literally paid for it and I'm asking to be able to use it.

If you think CSR's threatening the accounts of customers who've asked them two DIFFERENT questions about a legitimate issue is appropriate, you're part of the problem. Maybe you should consider filing an application with them, since you seem to have the same "let them eat sh*t" attitude of the Old Republic's customer service department.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that I completely misunderstood...

When you say you purchased a tradeable item, with whom did you think you could trade that item? And what exactly was that item?

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that I completely misunderstand...

When you say you purchased a tradeable item, with whom did you think you could trade that item?

Dasty

I purchased a rename token from the cartel market. I attempted to use it on my first main, but was unable to get the name I wanted. What happens when you attempt to use one of those things, whether the name works or not, it links to the specific character you attempted to rename. So what I'm asking is for the rename to be moved to my other character, so I can actually make use of it there. I'm not asking for a handout, I'm asking for an item I own to be moved to another character of mine, so I can utilize a name still attached to my account. That's not asking for a handout, it's asking for a hand.

I purchased a rename token from the cartel market. I attempted to use it on my first main, but was unable to get the name I wanted. What happens when you attempt to use one of those things, whether the name works or not, it links to the specific character you attempted to rename. So what I'm asking is for the rename to be moved to my other character, so I can actually make use of it there. I'm not asking for a handout, I'm asking for an item I own to be moved to another character of mine, so I can utilize a name still attached to my account. That's not asking for a handout, it's asking for a hand.

You have no idea who I am. You have no idea that several people will screenshot what I'm about to say:

You are right and I am wrong. (FYI, several forum go-ers are very happy right now).

If what you are saying is true -- that is -- if you use a character token, it doesn't work -- and it ties it to that specific character, that is absurd. Your OP, though, left a couple questions up in the air. Now that I fully understand your position, (FWIW) I agree with you.

Apologies,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

SNIPPITY SNIP

You are right and I am wrong.

MORE SNIPPITY SNIP

Apologies,

Dasty

Just to be sure we have this down some where.

Much love for you Dasty! You always speak how you feel, and what you think is best for the game so you know I am just yankin your chain!!!

Macc

Now I'm not sure here, but everything you "open" from the CM is bound to that character for a couple of days, I think it is, something like that anyway. During that period, it cannot be stored in Legacy storage, or sold. If this is the case, there would be a red text at the bottom with a timer. Did you check that?

You have no idea who I am. You have no idea that several people will screenshot what I'm about to say:

You are right and I am wrong. (FYI, several forum go-ers are very happy right now).

If what you are saying is true -- that is -- if you use a character token, it doesn't work -- and it ties it to that specific character, that is absurd. Your OP, though, left a couple questions up in the air. Now that I fully understand your position, (FWIW) I agree with you.

Apologies,

Dasty

Thank you. I just want them to move the token. And it's nice to see players who're willing to hear each other out. I appreciate it.

Now I'm not sure here, but everything you "open" from the CM is bound to that character for a couple of days, I think it is, something like that anyway. During that period, it cannot be stored in Legacy storage, or sold. If this is the case, there would be a red text at the bottom with a timer. Did you check that?

Yea, what happens is the token actually disappears, and a drop down menu appears in your character screen near your name, which allows for the rename. However, it does this regardless of whether the name works or not and locks it to that character. It's absurd.

Yea, what happens is the token actually disappears, and a drop down menu appears in your character screen near your name, which allows for the rename. However, it does this regardless of whether the name works or not and locks it to that character. It's absurd.

So it's still active on that toon? If so, can you get one on the other toon and do what you proposed CS do, and change the alt's name, and then get your name on your main?

So it's still active on that toon? If so, can you get one on the other toon and do what you proposed CS do, and change the alt's name, and then get your name on your main?

That's the plan, but the problem is, the token is on a different toon than the two involved in the swap. I tried getting a different name back in the first place, couldn't, then wanted to try swapping the two that I do have.

That's the plan, but the problem is, the token is on a different toon than the two involved in the swap. I tried getting a different name back in the first place, couldn't, then wanted to try swapping the two that I do have.

Given the way they work, I'm not sure there is much they can do. It would mean they'd have to have a way to remove a name change from a character, and I'm not sure there is one. Good luck getting it sorted out mate.

: is asking for them to make the item I PURCHASED tradeable again a huge imposition? I'm not asking for something free. I literally paid for it and I'm asking to be able to use it.

The problem with this, if you tried to use it, it became bound, normally when that happens, if you don't contact csr within 4 days, they can't reverse it, not sure if it's a lacking in system, or policy. If it has been less than four days, you might want to ring cs, as I've found in the past that ringing always gets better results. Or as a last resort, pm eric, as some have had to do before because of bound issues.

If what you are saying is true -- that is -- if you use a character token, it doesn't work -- and it ties it to that specific character, that is absurd.

It is less absurd than you think. The item doesn't *rename* the character. It puts the character in a renamable state. The option to rename the character is still available (on the Character panel) and (ugh) causes one of the top-of-screen menu buttons (on the left, the one that blinks until you select a discipline / choose the next utility) to blink. And once used, the token is gone.

So yes, it's incorrectly named. The game-mechanically accurate name would be "Token to make character renamable" but that's hopelessly clumsy and would be understood even less than now.

Disclaimer: I know all this because my very first character (originally "Kylarina") lost her name in the 2013 name-unlock event and became "Lyuze", and when I couldn't find a character called "Kylarina" later, I bought the token. I used it, and ultimately discovered that the name was indeed in use by some piece of Imperial scum (which is why I hadn't been able to find it). She kept the RENAME button on her character panel for a couple of months, at which point I got tired of the menu button blinking at me and changed her name to a two-part name: "Kylarina Lyuze".

They then told me to piss off again, and informed me that if I open another ticket concerning this issue, my account would be flagged.

I've seen this on these forums before and it's ridiculous. I don't know where they've outsourced to but I doubt it's in the western hemisphere. You wouldn't get by with that nonsense in the US or UK. Let me guess, you got the same person on all your tickets too? I'm pretty sure they use the same name regardless of who actually "helps" you. Typical of outsourced telemarketers and tech support. BW has been silent on all of these threads too. They either don't care or don't want to publicly acknowledge it. I wonder what it'll take before we get a "guys, guys we hear you and we're going to change" empty platitude post.

Edited by kodrac

Given the way they work, I'm not sure there is much they can do. It would mean they'd have to have a way to remove a name change from a character, and I'm not sure there is one. Good luck getting it sorted out mate.

You're probably right, but there's better ways of saying that than telling paying customers don't contact us again or we'll take action against your account. That's pathetic and an abuse of power.

You're probably right, but there's better ways of saying that than telling paying customers don't contact us again or we'll take action against your account. That's pathetic and an abuse of power.

Agreed. Honestly their approach/tone is half my problem. Like if policy bars them from acting, fine, but they can explain that in a reasonable way. There's no need to jump right to juvenile threats

I've seen this on these forums before and it's ridiculous. I don't know where they've outsourced to but I doubt it's in the western hemisphere. You wouldn't get by with that nonsense in the US or UK. Let me guess, you got the same person on all your tickets too? I'm pretty sure they use the same name regardless of who actually "helps" you. Typical of outsourced telemarketers and tech support. BW has been silent on all of these threads too. They either don't care or don't want to publicly acknowledge it. I wonder what it'll take before we get a "guys, guys we hear you and we're going to change" empty platitude post.

Yes! It was the same person, even though I specifically asked to talk to someone else after the first one because I didn't think they understood what I was saying. You're right. Wherever their customer support is located, it's not in the West. The response was really broken English and unhelpful.

The problem with this, if you tried to use it, it became bound, normally when that happens, if you don't contact csr within 4 days, they can't reverse it, not sure if it's a lacking in system, or policy. If it has been less than four days, you might want to ring cs, as I've found in the past that ringing always gets better results. Or as a last resort, pm eric, as some have had to do before because of bound issues.

I get what you're saying, but this whole saga began one day after the token was used, so there's definitely something they could've done. I'm sure they can fix it regardless of time, but you're right, it might be a policy matter after that.

I don't know if you qualified, or if you've already used it, and it doesn't necessarily resolve your problem, but a while ago they gave out a single, one per account, free character rename. To use it, or to see if you have one available, go to:

https://account.swtor.com/user/account/character/rename

and log into your account. When I go there it says: "You have been granted one free Character Name Change. This grant is offered to you with our 'thanks' for your commitment to The Old Republic." You have to initiate this name change through your account page. If you have one available, while it doesn't resolve your issue with the other rename token, it would allow you to juggle some names.

I get what you're saying, but this whole saga began one day after the token was used, so there's definitely something they could've done. I'm sure they can fix it regardless of time, but you're right, it might be a policy matter after that.

As it was one day, I'd contact eric musco, and see if there is anything he can do