Lightning and Madness Sorcerer/Telekinetics and Balance Sage Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Lightning and Madness Sorcerers/Telekinetics and Balance Sages.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)

• 2-Piece: Turbulence or Force Serenity and Thundering Blast or Force Leech increase alacrity by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Reduces cost of Lightning Strike and Force Lightning or Disturbance and Telekinetic Throw by 2 and reduces the cooldown of Polarity Shift or Mental Alacrity by 15 seconds.
  • 6-Piece: Lightning Strike and Lightning Bolt or Disturbance and Telekinetic Burst reduce the cooldown of Recklessness or Force Potency by 1 second.

Cheers, all!

The SWTOR Combat Team

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch, updated above!

You totally missed the point... The 2-piece is changing the damage dealt, not the alacrity. Unless you made some change without putting it in the patch notes. :p

Edited by Jerba

Good catch, updated above!

[*]2-Piece: Turbulence or Force Serenity and Thundering Blast or Force Leech increase alacrity by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.

Damage not alacrity was the point

Unsurprisingly they have issues with balance :p

Edited by g_land

The alacrity bonus from the dread forged/master 4 piece needs to be added to the 6 piece, whatever you have to take out to do it. It is just so massively better than anything the 6 piece has. Not just that its 200-400 DPS higher, but the playstyle is better. Lightning feels horribly slow without that alacrity. Edited by DarthZaul

If they took the 2 and four piece for 186 and incorporated it into the 192 6 piece that would be preferable. Make the alacrity boost proc from weaken mind the 6 piece with a 25 second rate limit, make the current 6 piece be the 4 piece and take 15 seconds off mental alacrity for the 2 piece that would probably be a better balanced combination.

Though you could lose the second off force potency mechanic and keep the 15 sec cd reduction on mental alacrity as the 4 piece. 2 piece would probably just need to be cost reduction of the spam abilities.

Step 1. Make old 186 4-piece set bonus baseline for all DPS sages @56 and share a lockout with the old bonus. This prevents people having to go back and grab it, and prevents a massive power boost from the bonus.

Step 2: Alter 6-piece to be an auto-crit proc like the rest of the set bonus's. Its current state literally does nothing for balance/madness

Problem solved

[*]6-Piece: Lightning Strike and Lightning Bolt or Disturbance and Telekinetic Burst reduce the cooldown of Recklessness or Force Potency by 1 second.

For all the hell it took to get through Underlurker in pug groups and to actually, finally win a set piece item to get a six piece set - 1 second off of recklessness? Really? Why even bother - totally worthless for all the work it entailed.

I play dps Sorc Madness on the character that has this and don't notice any difference with the 6 piece versus the 4 piece.

I have another Madness sorc and am not bothering with getting the other 2 pieces for the 6 piece set.

Edited by pooks

Step 1. Make old 186 4-piece set bonus baseline for all DPS sages @56 and share a lockout with the old bonus. This prevents people having to go back and grab it, and prevents a massive power boost from the bonus.

Step 2: Alter 6-piece to be an auto-crit proc like the rest of the set bonus's. Its current state literally does nothing for balance/madness

Problem solved

this is by far the best idea i cant do anything usefull with the new 6 piece bonus and also needing the old 4piece :/

I like the set bonus for the sage. I would only suggest to add/change to help mind crush. Make it so that it is instantly activated after using 3 or 4 consecutive telekinetic bursts. That way it doesn't have to be channeled all the time.

I chose TK burst because we have to use it alot

I think the main problem right now with the Sorcerer/Sage 6-piece is that it only helps one of the dps disciplines and marginally at that. I have played a lightning Sorcerer since launch, and I thoroughly love the spec, and although madness can be fun at times, it really isn't viable for HM ops right now. A 6-piece that would help both madness and lightning is the old 4-piece set. Both disciplines use affliction in their rotations, and both would benefit much more from a 5% alacrity proc then from a small cd reduction to recklessness. That being said i like the current 2-piece and 4-piece. I think leaving them as is and changing the current 6-piece to the old 4-piece would give this class some needed love.

"6-Piece: Lightning Strike and Lightning Bolt or Disturbance and Telekinetic Burst reduce the cooldown of Recklessness or Force Potency by 1 second."

That 6 set piece is utterly and completely pointless to even worry about. Honestly, the day that came out I nearly laughed at how ridiculous that is. One second quicker ( for something I NEVER use as dps) is not worth the dps loss you can have by having the three 198 armorings instead. I use the four piece set and get three 198 armoring's. If you want me to ever worry about 6 set piece for TC/Lightning you are really going to have to make the 6 really worth it, right now it is a joke.

Edited by DarthVengeant

"6-Piece: Lightning Strike and Lightning Bolt or Disturbance and Telekinetic Burst reduce the cooldown of Recklessness or Force Potency by 1 second."

That 6 set piece is utterly and completely pointless to even worry about. Honestly, the day that came out I nearly laughed at how ridiculous that is. One second quicker ( for something I NEVER use as dps) is not worth the dps loss you can have by having the three 198 armorings instead. I use the four piece set and get three 198 armoring's. If you want me to ever worry about 6 set piece for TC/Lightning you are really going to have to make the 6 really worth it, right now it is a joke.

more than 30 percent of the rotation is TK burst. How do you NOT use it. Edited by royhenderson

Okay Im going to give my straight opinion about this bonuses on sorc/sage:

They are absolutely horrible. The 2% increased dmg is the single thing you can rescue from the bonuses, which lets say its "something", you can do a slightly higher damage, which you actually wont really tell about BUT its something.

About the other 2 I dont think why on earth you added those, simply both wont work on either PVP or PVE.

What I propose is:

4 pieces bonus has to give 1 extra charge of recklessness

6 pieces bonus has to give extra alacrity fo lets say 8-10 seconds, kinda like berserk on carnage marauders, get it up to a 30-35%ish alacrity depending how much you already have stacked, so make it a 25% extra alacrity after using force leech (?) or demolish in example.

Something else i´d like to propose is give us instantly crits on certain moves, like vanquish or force lightning, after using certain abilities.

As a guy that mains dps sage i am sad about his low dps compared to other classes, and set bonus.

First of all you guys hammer nerfed force quake to the lvl of uselessness.

However the set bonuses are quite good. The only thing i would like to see is constant dmg buff from 2pc bonus. Each Turbulence or Force Serenity and Thundering Blast or Force Leech should trigger the dmg buff. This is all i would like to see. And on a second thought, maybe you should try to increase that from 2% to 5% :>

Edited by Forren-Midosea

IMO madness/balance doesnt need an alacrity boost to do higher damage so for the M/B spec, 2 piece set bonus is useless. The 6 piece is additionally useless because it literally does nothing for PVP where the fights are so fast, the cool down doesnt come into the equation, especially in Ranked warzones. Even in PVE, I dont keep spamming Recklessness on cooldown because its kind of situational.

Make the 2 piece set bonus stay as a Damage increase and make the 6 piece set bonus give us an auto crit. It literally makes no sense that you give all other Damage spec's a 6 piece thats an autocrit but Sorc/Sage Damage are the only ones with a useless set bonus.

What I propose is:

4 pieces bonus has to give 1 extra charge of recklessness

6 pieces bonus has to give extra alacrity fo lets say 8-10 seconds, kinda like berserk on carnage marauders, get it up to a 30-35%ish alacrity depending how much you already have stacked, so make it a 25% extra alacrity after using force leech (?) or demolish in example.

Something else i´d like to propose is give us instantly crits on certain moves, like vanquish or force lightning, after using certain abilities.

^This. other classes get an insta-crit with Sb but the lowest pulling ranged class that's already nerfed to oblivion in both specs gets nothing? (I.e. lower cooldown on recklessness which is NOT a guaranteed crit btw) A bit unfair. I second the proposed set bonus changes above.