A question

Cuiwe

Is it possible to play Commando with a Rifle and not with a Cannon? That white starting Rifle looks ESPECIALLY yummy(you know which one I mean). Meanwhile, Cannons look just flatout ridiculous. It's this small detail that always pushed me away from Commando(Mercenary is another story really-dual wielding blasters is daft imo. I'd much prefer Rifle on it as well).

You "can" play one with a Rifle, but only Healer commando. Both Assault and Gunnery require the use of Charged Bolts which has an Assault Cannon only modifier on it requiring the use of one. Also you deal about 5% less damage with a Blaster Rifle than with an Assault Cannon, so really your "shoehorned" into using one.

How important are Charged Bolts? Also are they the only skill with the Cannon modifier?

If not, well then ok. I have no specific interest in Field Medic(I'll leave that to Elara :D )

Edited by Cuiwe

By using a rifle, you're locked out of Hail of Bolts and Charged Bolts. CB is really only valuable to Assault; Gunnery replaces CB with Grav Round at about 20, I think (forget what level it can be accessed through the tree, but Gunny, in PvE, should remove CB from the hot bar at that point). HoB is situational AoE, but is still useful. Most importantly, though, rifles have a much lower damage spread than the cannon, which means you will be dealing significantly reduced damage regardless of what skills you can and cannot use. Edited by Bejarid

By using a rifle, you're locked out of Hail of Bolts and Charged Bolts. CB is really only valuable to Assault; Gunnery replaces CB with Grav Round at about 20, I think (forget what level it can be accessed through the tree, but Gunny, in PvE, should remove CB from the hot bar at that point). HoB is situational AoE, but is still useful. Most importantly, though, rifles have a much lower damage spread than the cannon, which means you will be dealing significantly reduced damage regardless of what skills you can and cannot use.

Personally as a person who played Arsenal Mercinary for a time, i use Power Shot when i need Filler, but dont feel the need to use Tracer Missile, it's also useful when you need something for on the move, as i have found it casts 0.1 seconds faster than Tracer, from my experience. Sweeping Blasters has it's uses especially as Assault, as it gets 9% more damage when Plasma Cell is active on a target and it can proc Plasma Cell on any targets in the AOE at a 34% chance.

So...

It's ok to use a Rifle as long as I stay out of Assault tree yes?

Now you made me rethink my character. I like Vanguard because of its lore and its bulk(well it is tough) and the way it deals damage(Assault spec almost completely bypasses Armour and has alarmingly high crit rate). However, I'd most probably like Medic after I get the Tank and Gunnery is always cool. I have no interest in Tactics or ShieldTech(my BH is a ST Tank so...). It'll be interesting :D

So...

Now you made me rethink my character. I like Vanguard because of its lore and its bulk(well it is tough) and the way it deals damage(Assault spec almost completely bypasses Armour and has alarmingly high crit rate). However, I'd most probably like Medic after I get the Tank and Gunnery is always cool. I have no interest in Tactics or ShieldTech(my BH is a ST Tank so...). It'll be interesting :D

No. You will be dealing greatly reduced damage (and healing). Maybe you can still get to 55, but forget about doing any end game content. If you really want to use a rifle instead of a cannon, you should go with a vanguard.

No. You will be dealing greatly reduced damage (and healing). Maybe you can still get to 55, but forget about doing any end game content. If you really want to use a rifle instead of a cannon, you should go with a vanguard.

I have no interest in the endgame, but I feel like I am doing a good thing by staying Vanguard. It is infinitely more durable and overall better I feel. PowerTech felt WONDERFUL to play! I don't doubt Vanguard will as well...

Personally as a person who played Arsenal Mercinary for a time, i use Power Shot when i need Filler

Power Shot has a smaller damage spread than Tracer Missile, I presume, just like Charged Bolts has a smaller damage spread than Grav Round; by using CB/PS as Gunnery/Arsenal, you're gimping yourself.

You will be dealing greatly reduced damage (and healing).

Healing is completely unaffected by weapon type, since healing is based entirely off of your tech power. Not even Hammer Shot's healing is gimped by using a rifle.

As long as you're fine not meeting your spec's maximum potential as Gunnery and losing you're only other real AoE, basically, yeah.