78 armorings with no set bonus versus 63 armorings with the extra Orbital tick

edensiris

So, pre-78 gear, the 63 2 piece PVP set bonus was great for the added orbital time, but these new armorings would add 41 cunning over the old 63s. Maybe I'm ignorant to the specific math involved, but do you guys think that +41 cunning would result in an overall DPS increase over the PVP set bonus?

I'm playing a MM sniper btw.

So, pre-78 gear, the 63 2 piece PVP set bonus was great for the added orbital time, but these new armorings would add 41 cunning over the old 63s. Maybe I'm ignorant to the specific math involved, but do you guys think that +41 cunning would result in an overall DPS increase over the PVP set bonus?

I'm playing a MM sniper btw.

I stopped running the 2-pc PVP bonus and been wearing 4-pc PVE for a while now. DPS is still good even without the 2-pc PVP bonus. I think by now it's just personal preference.

Considering orbital hits ~3300 non-crit (the 36/3/7), If you kept using it on cooldown (45s cooldown, 2s cast time means approx 1 cast / 50s) means the pvp set bonus adds 66 dps (non-crit). That is if the last tick actually hits.

The question is: Will the 90 cunning (82 from two armorings, and +9% cunning talent) increase your dps by 66? (also note that you will eventually have 4-set PVE bonus lowering cost of takedown which might increase DPS slightly). Probably not.

Which leads me to conclusion: On fights where the boss is stationary or moves in a certain pattern (that means all 4 ticks of orbital will hit the boss) the 2-set PVP and 2-set PVE is the superior choice, on fights where boss moves a lot / disappears etc. the 78 armoring would be better. That being said I agree with paowee that it's a matter of personal preference now really ;>

And what if the PvP bonus came from the highest PvP set? (I can't remember the name).

I'm leveling a Sniper through PvP solely, but I plan on doing PvE with it. As of yet, I have maxed out the Ranked Warzone Commendations and am close to maxing the regular warzone commendation as well.

is the PvP bonus worth it then?

And what if the PvP bonus came from the highest PvP set? (I can't remember the name).

I'm leveling a Sniper through PvP solely, but I plan on doing PvE with it. As of yet, I have maxed out the Ranked Warzone Commendations and am close to maxing the regular warzone commendation as well.

is the PvP bonus worth it then?

The stats of the top PvP gear are the same or lower than the most basic of PvE gears which makes it totally useless in any higher PvE.

To be hoenst i'm starting to enjoy the low energy cost of Followthrough/Quickdraw as Full Marksman/Sharpshooter. It helps me squeeze in Explosive Probes/Vital Shots when my Adrenaline Probe/Cool Head and Illegal Mods/Target Acquired is down. I find it handy in the Brontes fight specifically.

To be hoenst i'm starting to enjoy the low energy cost of Followthrough/Quickdraw as Full Marksman/Sharpshooter. It helps me squeeze in Explosive Probes/Vital Shots when my Adrenaline Probe/Cool Head and Illegal Mods/Target Acquired is down. I find it handy in the Brontes fight specifically.

How you squeeze in multiple EP's I'll never know. Takedown is used so little on MM (especially on boss fights, it's only used a few times max), the energy you save doesn't seem worth all that much. Hard for me to find places for EP when it costs 25 energy. Not when I'm still using orbital on CD that costs 30 energy. AP/TA help offset every orbital, but I never have the energy for an EP.

Edited by TommmyGunZ

• 2 weeks later...
How you squeeze in multiple EP's I'll never know. Takedown is used so little on MM (especially on boss fights, it's only used a few times max), the energy you save doesn't seem worth all that much. Hard for me to find places for EP when it costs 25 energy. Not when I'm still using orbital on CD that costs 30 energy. AP/TA help offset every orbital, but I never have the energy for an EP.

It's one of those little things that you can do to keep you ahead of other MM in your raid when there's a lot of movement. I've been using EP a lot especially in the brontes fight. Comes handy with the lower energy QD during Brontes' clockwise laser beam phase.

2-pc pvp is STILL superior though. A lot more superior in DPS. I've been noticing this in my runs. When we pre-cast Orbital at the beginning of the boss fight, i usually see the other MM snipers spec'd into 2-pc pvp do more burst. It's only later in the fight (sustained DPS) when i am able to catch up.

Edited by paowee