Spoils of War Changes – PTS Phase 2

EricMusco

This right here is the issue.

Players are naturally looking to the least RNG path (still not free of it, mind you!) to save themselves from the worst thing in games right now.

I understand you want there to be RNG and I feel that is fine in supplementary systems (like current RNG in GC boxes), but not in the main (primary) system... or at least not without a system that lets you gear without RNG.

Not having such an option just leads to frustration and seeming endless grind (exactly because you can't plan even a rough estimate of what you need to do to get what you want, so naturally people think up the least bad option when not presented with a good one.

I disagree.

I think this system makes it very easy to move the gear you have to whatever alt you want to gear.

Most people gear up a main and make it usable, first, then look into getting alts up to scruff. This just makes it harder to focus on your main and makes it take longer for those of us aiming to do serious endgame to be able to even start.

This, even more-so than the above, should be 100% aimed at your class and spec.

We're already buying boxes that have a multiple possible set bonuses and tons of non-SB/non-moddable trash just for our spec.

If we want it on an alt, we can move the gear on that alt and buy the boxes on it. Simple.

I whole-heartily agree with this, the system has potential but it needs way less RNG(A direct mean of buying and upgrading your gear) or better RNG that players won't even mind, as it is though not locking the loot to spec and class is frustrating. If I wanted to gear an alt, I'd be playing that alt. If I'm playing my Darkness Sith Assassin I want to get gear that is relevant to that discipline, even if I play Hatred. When I want to gear up Hatred, I switch.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried so hard to stay positive about all this, as i really very much want this to be a success... BUT, as one of those people who has traditionally had very poor luck when it comes to anything RNG, its becoming more and more difficult. RNG as a gearing method is never a good idea as it does not gear people equitably.

There must be a path to allow those without the best of luck, and lets be honest thats what RNG is, to acquire the gear in a similar time frame as those who are touched by the hand of RBGesus. If not you have a messed up situation where some people will be geared to the teeth quickly,even with less investment, and some will struggle with even higher effort or time. This is simply not right.

If you move ahead with this it will hurt. All i can say is this, there better be a hugely fantastic story, and lots and lots and lots of it, behind all this if it goes live even remotely resembling this RNG nightmare, or your walking into a buzzsaw.

This player base has been patient, we want this to succeed its why we are still here, please dont make the mistake WoW did of trying to tell us what we want, and listen to what we are saying.

Please... listen.

I had been very excited about 6.0 when I learned about the embracing of binding items to legacy rather than character (having 102 lvl70 characters as of today, this is something of a big deal to me), but I'm going to have to chime in and complain about RNG. RNG is not fun, it is not exciting, it is not helpful.

Gear is not content, it is a means to an end. It's all just much too convoluted now in what seems to be an attempt to keep us running on the hamster wheel as long as possible.

I agree. To bad there is this overwhelming need to bind everything. I can understand making items legacy. That cuts down on the grind and gives more time to actually play what part of the game you like.

- - INCOMING MESSAGE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - FROM: UNAR - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - SUBJECT: RNG - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NO.

NON.

NEIN.

NAO.

NU.

NA.

NAH.

NI.

NE.

NEE.

NEJ.

NEI.

NIE.

NET.

NEM.

TLDR: NO. NO! NOOOOO! JUST NO.

NOT yours faithfully,

UNITED NOES AGAINST RNG

- - END OF MESSAGE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Against a bit of RNG is not objectionable. But they really exaggerate it.

Going to be honest here how hard is it to understand your own very vocal playerbase.

Al the feedback was extremely clear we do not want RNG and what do you double down on RNG.

if you would realy want to be wise and have people play content you would go back to the old system where you would try to get crystals for pve gear and pvp tokens for pvp gear. this was extremely fun and created multiple evenues of playing. if you wanted to play pvp you had to play pvp to get the good gear for it, some for Pve it was regarding and it did incurige to do both as anyone who wanted to do both forms of content would grind for both content type top tier armour.

it felt fun it felt rewarding and what was best about it it did not have any RNG.

if the game stays on this path full of RNG it wil just slowly choke out the game even futher. get less players there and players that may have come back for new content wil be gone in a hart beat when they notice the RNG system.

people dont want to have to pray to RNGesus every play session in the hope to get better gear. people just want to enjoy the type of content they want.

if you feel the content doesnt fit anough time in you could always add cosmetics , mounts, pets that also need some more of the different type of tokens to motivate people to contineu with te content they already played alot.

maybe even just a type of activity system that plays into the free to play issues people have where by playing they could maybe earn somethings to let them get around some of the issues.

If there is rewards that make gameplay setifying after having fully geared up that is where you can win people over to keep playing in my opinion. gearing isnt fun but i personaly for instance realy enjoy a good old reputation grind for a gear look i realy like or some great deco's for my stronghold or even just a interesting legacy title by getting a achivement. while yes making a statue for a achivement of completing a High tier operation might be more work. its the type of stuff people feel mutch more rewarded by same for getting a rare cosmetic, mount or decoration drop from a boss.

and if you want low effort stuff you could always have players earn tokens to get cosmetics from the cartel market or something. while it would make people spend a bit less there it would leave more people subbed i think and more long term subs would realy boost the game and create a good earning.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

PTS is now available with the changes described above!

Also, just a quick note. We hear your concerns about not being able to go for specific loot. We already have a number of potential changes in motion they just weren't ready for this patch. I will share more details when I have them, but we do hear your feedback. Keep it coming.

-eric

Hey folks,

Also, just a quick note. We hear your concerns about not being able to go for specific loot. We already have a number of potential changes in motion they just weren't ready for this patch. I will share more details when I have them, but we do hear your feedback. Keep it coming.

-eric

NICE! Good to hear!

Now do crafting and overcomplicated resource requirements for green tier items....

Hey folks,

-eric

If you hear nothing else, hear the RNG concerns. complexity is one thing, i think most of us can handle that, but RNG on top of RNG with a side of complexity is a meal most of us do not want to take a bite of.

When I read the introduction page for 6.0 back in April, one thing I noticed was a "vendor" for RNG protection from Renown Crates an other RNG sources. When I heard there was going to be more RNG I was ready to leave, but that vendor gave me hope. When the PTR went live, that vendor had more RNG crates on it. This is disappointing. IMO, just make that vendor with the currency, each and every piece of gear, for each slot with set bonus. (Tacs can stay where they are now, so to incentivize us to play content) And the system is fixed (besides the crafting, that needs to be addressed as well. Even if I detest crafting to the upmost hatred of everything, there are still people who like it and gear that way, and they need to have that option open to them.)

IMO, more options of choice, means more happy customers. Will there be people complaining about gearing 75+ alts to max BiS in 2 weeks and have nothing left to do? Yes, there will always be those people. Don't listen to them. If they want to play games solely for gear, there are many many MANY other gamble gearing fests out there for them. Gear should not be the end goal content in this game, it should be what lets us GET to the end goal content we want to do.

The majority of players will have a bit of time to gear up, but having a clear pathway to gear with a specific currency price, means they can plan it out and go "Ok, I can raid with my guild in 1-2 weeks, if I play X amount of hours each ay, in-between my family and job and other in real life things." Giving people a plan, means they have the control and stability in their own choice, and giving players that power, will make them happy. RNG takes away that power of freedom of choice, and makes players powerless at the mercy of RNG. And when people become powerless in games, they give up and walk away and move on. "What is the point of continuing to play, if I cant even progress?"

Like other people have stated before, the gearing system for 2.0-3.0 was good. You do content, get currency or a set bonus token, then trade said currency or token for gear, boom done. Simple and easy. Now its just easier with the added bonus of Renown Crates, which makes it better. This would be a ideal system.

Crafting Drops on Onderon are looking god to me. But it seems that the ammount is not decreasing when you craft sth.

On the mission terminal on onderon is a new mission without quest texts and with a two unnamed encounters spawning which leads first tot he south cave then the central one and last but not least the northern.

Also two mention that the nameplates oft he guards in the lodge are missing now.

The map icon fort he lair oft he untamed seems to misplaced a little bit.

Theloot from the equipment Crates seems still off overall rating 271 got one 270Head slot (equipped 276)

The unnamed mod crate from the Patrol Onderon also dropped only 270

Edited by DShadowBlade

Hey folks,

-eric

No offense, but we've heard this before in 5.0. It currently sounds like this:

In 5.0 we heard you didn't like RNG gearing, so we've brought it back on steroids for 6.0.

Tacticals, amplifiers, a variety of set bonuses really sound like fun and will hopefully change the static gameplay of classes, but the RNG kills it. One piece of gear has up to 8 or 9 different RNG variables. The chance of get the piece I want with the set bonus I want, the mods and enhancements I want, the amplifiers attached to each shell, armouring, mod, enhancement I want and on top of that the percentages for each amplifier as well. Seems like 1 in a million to get everything right for just one piece of gear.

I cannot state it any stronger. Myself and my guild hates and I mean hates RNG gearing. It's one of the primary reasons many of us left for a year after you made conquest such a grind. We just started coming back and really liked the direction things were heading ( conquest is easier...yeah...don't screw that up again, please ), but stop it with an RNG system for gearing. All the frustration of opening command crate after command crate just to break everything down to get more command crates. It just pisses us off. You get unassembled components, but they take so long to accrue it's pointless.

RNG on lower level stuff and things like heroics I get. Yeah. But let us earn those commendations again and buy what we want. Make those commendations legacy-bound ( unlike the crystals on Ossus where you have to grind all your toons to gear up instead of just your favorites ). Or make the gear we get for the weekly like on Ossus not be RNG. Let us pick what we want when opening the crate. Got the 3rd gun for my smuggler last night...same gun....such a frustrating waste of time I don't even want to run weeklies anymore.

...and don't set the weekly cap on commendations so insanely low that you nearly hit it running 1-2 toons through a weekly ( Ossus...I'm looking at you!). If someone wants to spend the time grinding away who cares? They did the time. Let them earn the rewards.

If the gearing system is RNG I will absolutely quit again and most likely won't be back this time. My guild feels the same.

I did an experiment impside to see if I could entirely gear a toon from command crate RNG. Command level 180 and my warrior is still running barefoot. THIS is why we absolute hate RNG. So frustrating and not worth my time or my money.

I've been gone for 2 years (you can verify by checkng my sub) the RNG drove me away, as well as the grind. I came back recently because I thought you guys were changing in the right direction.

Please note this in all seriousness:

NO more RNG.

Come up with another way to keep us occupied with our time (spending money), more story-lines, more OPS, enough with the RNG GRIND.

No one enjoys it, it drives people to boredom, and away from the game. We want to have FUN.

That's why we love Star Wars to have FUN being geared, kicking butt, having FUN with our raid team, or guild buddies.

NO more RNG. Straight PATH XYZ TO GEAR, choices on MODs, this equals FUN aka People want to play, and do more things when their not grinding gear for months before they can have FUN.

Capitals aren't shouting just to identify key words.

Thank you

Edited by Guelah_Papyrus

Selective hearing. You're taking the feedback on how to make your terrible gear grind system, and ignoring all of us pleading with you not to implement it!

You know what you are creating? A mobile game gearing system. A few years back there was a game called Star Wars Uprising for mobile. It was pretty fun. But the gearing. endless grinds, rng stats etc. Of course that was intended to keep you playing and tempt you to pay $$ to speed up the process. What are you doing putting something like that into an MMO?

I seriously have to think that you are being mandated from above to push this system in, ignoring the massive feedback that you aren't giving us a fun gearing system, but instead the same skinner box style gearing that has penetrated the shooter genre from mobile as well.

Shareholders are more important than players.

Selective hearing. You're taking the feedback on how to make your terrible gear grind system, and ignoring all of us pleading with you not to implement it!

You know what you are creating? A mobile game gearing system. A few years back there was a game called Star Wars Uprising for mobile. It was pretty fun. But the gearing. endless grinds, rng stats etc. Of course that was intended to keep you playing and tempt you to pay $$ to speed up the process. What are you doing putting something like that into an MMO?

I seriously have to think that you are being mandated from above to push this system in, ignoring the massive feedback that you aren't giving us a fun gearing system, but instead the same skinner box style gearing that has penetrated the shooter genre from mobile as well.

Shareholders are more important than players.

100% this its exactly a mobile gearing system...I wont be part of this non sense. Command system was a disaster this 6.0 system is even worse

Edited by scardera