lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

Tired argument. And trite at that. All rounds tonight, I was top scoring in general and DPS (to say nothing of objectives). The point is that the relative benefits of Bolster, even taking into account talent tree and such, seems to need a significant degree of tweaks in order to make the system actively viable. This is to say nothing of the fact that I'm not sitting here going "EVERYONE HIT ME HARD, BWAH! I CAN'T WIN!". It's a combination of Bolster and the effectiveness of Smash as a skill, in this case...even sub your 40+ level baseline. I work harder with my rotation than Captain Keyroll and he gets comparably better results for less effort.

The smash spec was already strong pre 2.0. The bolster didn't make it magically stronger than before. Class balance has absolutely nothing to do with the bolster. Although the smash spec is easier to play than other specs, it is not without weaknesses. You overestimate the power of the smash spec. You DO need to work your *** off to get high numbers or you'll constantly die trying to be a hero. What class are you playing? I play a vigilance guardian, a lightning sorc and a scrapper scoundrel.

Bare minimum, exercise your brain to come up with a better reply than "You're bad". The numbers don't support the argument. Hell, I'm doing more general damage with items slots left empty. That's sort of....wait...what's the word I'm looking for...stupid.

Where did I say that the bolster is perfect? What I know though, is that although there are issues with the bolster, the game is playable and the pvp is at a much better place than before. I don't use numbers, I use facts. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Side note: if you had any competency in reading comprehension, I didn't say I was playing in WH gear or EWH, you clod. Furthermore, why are you bringing up Partisan gear when I'm talking about middle bracket and therefore am not using it?

No. What I said was I that the comparable effect vis a vis bolster, in terms of the match up was akin to mismatched item tiers and relative effectiveness. Or at the very least that one party was receiving extraordinary benefit relative to the the other that were unearned.

It was a general statement of what people should work for for pvp gearing (aside from improving your gameplay). As for the lower brackets, why don't you post a video about a full WZ team abusing the bug and getting "extraordinary benefits"?

It must be either a server thing or pure exaggeration from the anti-bolster people, but I don't see much people abusing the augment/mod glitch on Bastion and POT5. I do take the time to watch swtor streams and so far, I only saw 1 suspicious guy using full augmented rakata gear destroying people left and right. I didn't notice any "abusers" while playing either. But I don't have the time to track "abusers" while playing since I'm too busy killing people and doing my best to make my team win the game. I'm not saying that no one is abusing the augment glitch. But to say that entire teams are abusing it is pure exaggeration.

If you want me to understand what you say, stop speaking like if you're Albert Einstein. See Somejagoff? He doesn't speak like if he's some sort of great scientist.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tired argument. And trite at that. All rounds tonight, I was top scoring in general and DPS (to say nothing of objectives). The point is that the relative benefits of Bolster, even taking into account talent tree and such, seems to need a significant degree of tweaks in order to make the system actively viable. This is to say nothing of the fact that I'm not sitting here going "EVERYONE HIT ME HARD, BWAH! I CAN'T WIN!". It's a combination of Bolster and the effectiveness of Smash as a skill, in this case...even sub your 40+ level baseline. I work harder with my rotation than Captain Keyroll and he gets comparably better results for less effort.

Bare minimum, exercise your brain to come up with a better reply than "You're bad". The numbers don't support the argument. Hell, I'm doing more general damage with items slots left empty. That's sort of....wait...what's the word I'm looking for...stupid.

Side note: if you had any competency in reading comprehension, I didn't say I was playing in WH gear or EWH, you clod. Furthermore, why are you bringing up Partisan gear when I'm talking about middle bracket and therefore am not using it?

No. What I said was I that the comparable effect vis a vis bolster, in terms of the match up was akin to mismatched item tiers and relative effectiveness. Or at the very least that one party was receiving extraordinary benefit relative to the the other that were unearned.

Smash is only strong if your group likes to stand together. I usually laugh at smash specs in a 1 vs. 1.

sub cancelled !

i have 9 days left on sub and 2550 cartel coins that ive never spent. i will use those CC to unlock warzones and flashpoints until they run out. Bioware has until then to get rid of 55 bolster, they wont see another dollar from me till then.

Take your dye packs and cartel market and shove them..is this star wars or a fashion show. Who cares about stupid appearance neways?

I'm kinda frustrated with this bolster!... I've been reading most post and I haven't found an answer or a way to perfectly know what should I do with my gear and items!... I cant read them all... I'm subscriber since long ago now, but I'm stuck at lvl 50, because for personal problems I cant buy expansion! and I'm a pvp only player that loves pre 55 warzones... I've spent months, millions credits on the best mods I can buy, only to find that will drop my stats rly hard turning me into a useless ****!... So is there anyone who can help on how should I gear a lvl 50 Sage for pre 55 warzones?... how can I get the most out of his dps?... how can I reach 2018 expertise?... I was doin 2000 dmg per tick and now after having top mods my expertise dropped to 1800 and my crits hit for 900 dmg... I rly need help with this because I love SWTOR pvp but seems to be dying because of complicated changes that could have been easily solved some other ways!... PLEASE HELP! Edited by rollinmajoint

One advantage to smashspec that people don't usually consider is that it's kind of an anti-tank spec. It is _really hard_ to stay in the magical zone where you're close enough to guard but not in smash range. Add intercede into the mix and you have a lot of double-smash hits on tanks and their guard target.

But back on target. I recently upgraded my WH shield to partisan. I got 2 expertise for a loss of 500hp. (Those numbers take the augment into account.) I can't drop the expertise crystal for an endurance crystal, because then I get punished for having a mixed-purpose item and bolster doesn't counter the crystal's expertise loss.

Sad.

Edited by Khalhazar

I really dont get the whole level 55 bolster, gimmick they tried, bolster is for leel 54-. The only thing they should bolster in 55 Bgs is expertise, and it is pretty simple bolster to program.

if Player[Total_expertise ] =< 2018 then
    Player[Total_expertise ] = 1800 + (  (2018 - 1800) * ( Player[Total_expertise ]  / 2018) ^ 3  )
elif Player[Total_expertise ] > 2018 then
    Player[Total_expertise ] = 2018
else 
  leave the bloody player expertise and other stas alone

this way people with no expertise get a minimum of 1800 in BG and people who have a little are nudged a bit, and then even more and more until they reach the 2018 cap.

if people have more than 2018 they get kept back in line at 2018.

Problem solved pvp is fair, itemization is safe. this bolster would give the following results

Out of BG expertise : in BG expertise

0 : 1800

300 : 1801

600 : 1805

900 : 1819

1200 : 1846

1500 : 1889

1800 : 1954

2100 : 2018

2400 : 2018

etc...

Edited by Ajuntalee

I wish u can explain that for a not very good english speaker guy who haves problems with numbers!... I didnt understand! not yet!... I mean is there a way I can calculate what are the best mods I need for a lvl 50 sage in pre 55 pvp?... I'll appreciate ur help! Edited by rollinmajoint

I really dont get the whole level 55 bolster, gimmick they tried, bolster is for leel 54-. The only thing they should bolster in 55 Bgs is expertise, and it is pretty simple bolster to program.

Player[Total_expertise ] = 1800 + (  (2018 - 1800) * ( Player[Total_expertise ]  / 2018) ^ 3  )
else 

this way people with no expertise get a minimum of 1800 in BG and people who have a little are nudged a bit, and then even more and more until they reach the 2018 cap.

Problem solved pvp is fair, itemization is safe. this bolster would give the following results

etc...

Im a noob at this... but what u are trying to say is that i need expertise mods in pre 55 pvp??... what does "BG" means?... from what ive seen if I wear expertise mods my expertise count will drop rly hard!

Im a noob at this... but what u are trying to say is that i need expertise mods in pre 55 pvp??... what does "BG" means?... from what ive seen if I wear expertise mods my expertise count will drop rly hard!

He is not giving the numbers of what bolster gives you. He is saying how he would like it to be.

sub cancelled !

i have 9 days left on sub and 2550 cartel coins that ive never spent. i will use those CC to unlock warzones and flashpoints until they run out. Bioware has until then to get rid of 55 bolster, they wont see another dollar from me till then.

Take your dye packs and cartel market and shove them..is this star wars or a fashion show. Who cares about stupid appearance neways?

It wont go anywhere so long as cartel coin buyers fund this game so please just stop playing and posting.

else 

etc...

I have no idea what you are saying here but if its true and would fix the bolster I'd think that Bioware should hire you !!

else 

etc...

Would that imply that if you are wearing the top pve equipment with 0 bolster you would get boosted to 1800? Thanks but no thanks.

else 

etc...

BG Expertise what are you talking about?

else 

etc...

You need to add a condition to your original code:

if Player[Avg_ModLevelNoExpertise] >= 66 then

Player[Total_Expertise] = 1338 ////which is what it's supposed to be wearing Arkanian or higher////

Edited by Lord_Oz

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to let all of you know that I have been reading over the thread and am continually passing the feedback and questions on to the combat team. Some of the confusion I am seeing is around the removal of Expertise from WH/EWH and its relation to PvE gear. I am working with those guys on getting some math around it all to hopefully clear some things up.

I won't have any new information today, I just wanted you folks to be aware that I am actively watching the thread and working with the Combat/PvP folks on getting answers to some of your questions.

Thanks!

-eric

PS - If you haven't read some of our prior PvP posts in this thread and others it is possible your questions were answered there. You can view them here, here, and here.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qsapfa.jpg