Latest Patch=*** on the GTN??

zachbuford

As the title implies I am upset about the ninja GTN change. I must not ALWAYS choose rarity for items I'm searching for, such as premium, legendary, ect. Unfortunately as a crafter this only irritates me because I need to check the GTN very often to find the best deals. When searching for mats I must now go through that additional step of adding rarity into the search, and in doing so I can't even see all the results.

For example if I wanted to see basic mats I'd have to search premium, for any epic mats another option, and even GTN sharking for perfect upari/unriched durasteal is a pain in the lightsaber. Yes this change would be useful for the "casual" gamer that doesn't play the GTN, but to everyone it is nothing more than an annoyance.

I only ever find the rarity search useful for looking for orange gear, beyond that I never use it. Even when looking for epics you could just use the item level sorter to find the best.

1-there are too many options (most of them aren't even used)

2-when i am truely using the GTN the "any" option is my best friend

3-why was this a ninja change? in what way does it benifit the game?

It's early, I'm still half asleep, but seeing what they did to the GTN, I spit my coffee out laughing so hard. I mean what else can you do, it clear the GTN is nothing but a joke to Bioware. They are trolling us I tell you, trolling us hard.

I just don't understand why the GTN cannot have a simple hierarchical view, with the ability to drill down into subcategories, with additional filters for things like slots and rarity, along with a search window that actually returns any item that matches the search term.

It's not like databases with usable interfaces and working search are new and cutting edge technology.

Edited by DawnAskham

This game has been out 4 full months, approaching 5. And browsing the GTN is a hassle at this point in time? Something so basic in an MMORPG? This isn't class balance for PvP I'm talking about here (*snicker*). This is simple, core aspect of gameplay. And it can't be done right at month 4 after going live.

/whew

Seriously, the GTN change in the latest patch is a mind boggler.

We were moving in the right direction previously, just being able to enter some text and hitting search (though, somehow, some items wouldn't show up, even if they were there?) ... but now, forcing us to select 3 dropdown menus before searching? Really? Are you kidding me?

Who in their right mind thought this was a good design decision?

Wasn't actually a stealth/ninja nerf, it's actually IN THE PATCH NOTES. The thing that made me laugh last night is I could actually understand how it happened. Designer who hasn't ever actually played the game and/or english reading skill around grade 2. & an overeager coder.

Designer sees the bug: "Items with no subcategories don't return any results unless a filter is changed (such as rarity)"

Says hmm. Checks it in game. Sure enough, no results. Thinks, "Well, that's confusing. I know, we'll disable the button unless the filter is changed". (never even thinks that the bug is the fact that results SHOULD be getting returned)

Coder gets the bug/feature request "Search button should be disabled unless a filter is changed for items with no subcategories". Thinks, "Well, why just items with no subcategories? I'll do it for ALL of them. Gonna get a pat on the back for going the extra mile."

And thus we have the shiny new bulletpoint in the patch notes:

•The Search button is now correctly disabled for categories that do not have a subcategory when there are no search results.

*facepalm*

Lol, right... pre-patch, the problem was that certain items (earpieces, implants, etc) wouldn't return results unless you selected an "item quality" filter... so to "fix" that bug, they just broke EVERYTHING to match?

I know I'm not a computer engineer... but I know enough about it to know that it isn't quantum physics or string theory... a proper fix for this shouldn't be that hard.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe priority #1 for Bioware should be to fix the @#$&% Public Test Server so retardation like this never goes live in the first place?

Edited by TSgtSeuss

I have to say, I usually defend BW for the most part since the majority of people QQing would complain about water in the middle of a desert. I am simply amazed at how bad the GTN is. The only other MMO I have ever played was FF11 and I remember their marketplace being much easier to navigate. The GTN was a pain in the rear end before the update but at least you could get your results faster with some tweaking, this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

The GTN should really be a huge part of SWTOR but the changes seem to keep it from being anything more than a flea market.

Edited by Hyryu

To be fair, I *am* a Computer Engineer, and must admit to having seen fixes like this. Either from an ignorant designer (as previously suggested) or possibly when a bug is sent to a wrong person who happens to be *real* new. (presumably in this case a new UI person) New person doesn't realize the people forwarding bugs sometimes make mistakes and forward them to the wrong person, and that if the bug isn't actually his he should forward it back/on to the correct person (presumably somebody on the DB query side?) Instead he thinks that if the bug has gone to him he MUST fix it. So he does it the only way he knows/can, and comes up with some UI only workaround fix.

But I've never seen a fix like that get past the fix verification process, and is usually followed by a "next time forward the bug to the correct person" conversation.

It looks like instead of fixing the original "bug", someone decided to just apply the previous functionality universally to all GTN searches. It reeks of "quick-win fix", and the result is very irritating.

I can only imagine that they are trying to limit the complexity of the database searches for some reason. Sloppy database design can have that effect...

it seems to me that the UI devs have either way too much power or are far too lazy. first it was the GCD debacle that went through several iterations of what some anonymous UI dev thought was better than anything people had asked for, then finally they just threw their hands up and gave us 15 options for GCD animations. we had to wait until 1.2 to get target of target (seriously? like, how many bosses require you to know what their target is? all of them!?). /roll was a long time coming and we still don't have a readycheck option. and now this nonsense with the GTN. it just keeps coming back to some UI guy thinking he knows better or taking massive shortcuts. it's crazy and it gives the impression that the dev team is disjointed and uncommunicative, and also that the game just basically isn't finished yet. 5 months after release. Edited by codyr

I think the real problem is probably, no one in BW knows how the whole thing is working now.

They have programmers who can parse through source codes for partial solutions, but if that codes is affecting or affected by source codes from other categories, they get screwed up every time they tried to do something. They are not aware of the interferences and they probably lack the information of what is affecting what.

This usually happens when someone plays a vital part in handling the whole thing but that guys left after the game is released. It takes a long time to retrieve the overall information and to fix it even with a good group able to parse or reverse engineer the source codes written by the previous programmer. It may take forever if they are not competent enough. Guess this might be what we are seeing and thus causing so many "We have fixed!" -> not fixed. "We have fixed" --> still happening reports on all sort of things.

Edited by Hologramx

I thought they said they wanted to make the GTN 95% less stupid.

They need to work on making the people in charge of the GTN 95% less stupid. And I think the quote was 95% less suck or something like that, but yeah its almost comical given how bad the GTN was at launch and how much worse they have made it in a vain effort to improve it.

Edited by DawnAskham

I was on the same moment last night. I tried to search for schematics and nothing. Started scratching my head.

When I made a post on fleet, someone said check patch notes. But anything about actually what they did is written actually. Very 'generic'.

At software developer with 23 years career, (yes I am old), not being able to do a search engine, with the resources Bioware has, is insulting. Basic rule of software development. If ain't broken don't fix it.

GTN needs to be sorted. We are in 2012, and EVE Online has by far the best market search system since 2003.

And what's the purpose of 2 days sale.