The truth about Marauders

WNxAbaddon

Taken from the holonet

Wielding two sabers and unmatched aggression, Sith trained as Marauders

slice through enemy ranks, dealing death with merciless efficiency. Able to intuit

precisely how to attack in order to maximize every strike, their adversaries

become victims in the blink of an eye. Whether annihilating a squad of

Republic troops or cutting down a single Jedi, the Marauder sees and

exploits every weakness to exact the greatest toll. Never

hesitating, never faltering, there is no swifter bringer

of pain and damage in the galaxy.

So far from the truth its unreal, As Anni spec, I max my dps in WZ around 200k / 300k I hit 300k once today, now I thought this as goto be a L2P issue am a experienced pvper and I am happy to admit that sometimes I need help, so I looked at guides and vids then it hits me. We have arguably the best CD's of any class and on short durations as well. we have Med armor, DPS is high but not as high as expected.

We are a support class, we are not the DPS monsters BW made out we SHOULD be, we are a 1v1 class in a MMO style game, anyone with a braincell isn't going to fight us 1v1 so I asked myself are we underpowered, I goto say for the most part no, not if you accept the fact were a support class at best, but If we are meant to be a melee dps then yes we are to really be a DPS melee class some things should change.

1.Change medium to heavy armor ( like every other melee dps in every other game )

2.White damage needs a slight boost

Now I know people will flame me but its the truth Marauders need a change we have 3 dps trees and 2 of them are meh I have tried all 3 and Anni is the one that flows the best. most of the time I get around 30 kills but am 3 or 4th on dps, next to ofc Sorcs / Pyros.

As a Melee DPS we should be getting better numbers than we are, or BW really need to look at how Marauders are meant to be played.

Edited by WNxAbaddon

I have and if its a L2P problem am happy to admit it, but tbh I would love to see who the people are saying we are the best in the next breath there wanting us nurffed I wonder why maby just maby some of them are noobs QQ about us am not saying they all are but a good 50%

I very rarely do under 300k damage in any of the 3 warzones unless I'm defending a node that no one comes to in alderaan or if I end up running the ball a lot in huttball. Hell I was doing 250-350k wearing full cent with champ weapons. I'm not sure if you're undergeared, not using your abilities properly , have a poor spec or what but if you feel like mara are underpowered you're doing something wrong. They are far from overpowered though , in fact they're in a pretty damn good place.

The people that think they need buffs are undergeared or do not know how to play the class to its potential, those that think they need nerfs probably have no idea how to fight a marauder and just get rolled. Just remember its a warrior class, they almost always feel lack luster until you get gear, it's part of what balances them.

With out actually seeing you play at all, I honestly don't think anyone will be able to help you properly but I can tell you for a fact that if you think we're a support class you're doing something extremely wrong. Yes we have some fantastic group buffs, but that's about 1/10th of a marauders roll.

Edited by idrik

Thanks idrik for the replay.

No am in full champ gear O_0 as for a vid I wouldnt know were to start tbh I got fraps tho if someone is willing to help me get it set up then ill post a vid.

http://tinypic.com/r/2m3piis/5 the picture is around the dps i do kills deaths ect

My build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRro0fGzZhZhr.1

Edited by WNxAbaddon

I very rarely do under 300k damage in any of the 3 warzones unless I'm defending a node that no one comes to in alderaan or if I end up running the ball a lot in huttball. Hell I was doing 250-350k wearing full cent with champ weapons. I'm not sure if you're undergeared, not using your abilities properly , have a poor spec or what but if you feel like mara are underpowered you're doing something wrong. They are far from overpowered though , in fact they're in a pretty damn good place.

The people that think they need buffs are undergeared or do not know how to play the class to its potential, those that think they need nerfs probably have no idea how to fight a marauder and just get rolled. Just remember its a warrior class, they almost always feel lack luster until you get gear, it's part of what balances them.

With out actually seeing you play at all, I honestly don't think anyone will be able to help you properly but I can tell you for a fact that if you think we're a support class you're doing something extremely wrong. Yes we have some fantastic group buffs, but that's about 1/10th of a marauders roll.

Out of curiousit whats your spec like? I was Anni for a long time and I loved it, however I wasn't seeing the numbers I wanted or the 1v1 ability, not to mention my gear was lower, however I tried rage out and I gotta say its faceroll easy...

Just curious because I know how great Anni can be with gear and a little bit of know-how

PS I leveled 10-50 as Anni and played through a good portion of 50 as Anni, so I don't think its a l2p thing

Thanks idrik for the replay.

No am in full champ gear O_0 as for a vid I wouldnt know were to start tbh I got fraps tho if someone is willing to help me get it set up then ill post a vid.

http://tinypic.com/r/2m3piis/5 the picture is around the dps i do kills deaths ect

My build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRro0fGzZhZhr.1

Fraps is very straight forward , as far as using vegas or anything else to render the fraps footage ...you can find tutorials all over youtube explaining anything you need to know.

In full champ damage shouldn't be an issue but again I don't think anyone can tell you areas that you need to change/improve on without actually seeing you play.

Ok np :)

Really tho, am a experienced pvp player and not one to use OP classes, but something feels very lackluster with Anni at the moment, still its better than carnage and rage and thats saying something.

tbh I dont think its a L2P problem, I know the areas mates have said I can get better at, but really I should be getting bigger numbers

Out of curiousit whats your spec like? I was Anni for a long time and I loved it, however I wasn't seeing the numbers I wanted or the 1v1 ability, not to mention my gear was lower, however I tried rage out and I gotta say its faceroll easy...

Just curious because I know how great Anni can be with gear and a little bit of know-how

PS I leveled 10-50 as Anni and played through a good portion of 50 as Anni, so I don't think its a l2p thing

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRbRMcGzZhMbZh.1 is the spec that I currently have, the 2 points in enraged charge are imo better spent in ferocity making it 33/5/3. I wanted to see how I felt about enraged charge , it's helpful but in no way needed where as 30% increased speed on predation is fantastic in every way.

I personally take seeping wound because its either that or blurred speed to get to t4 and I think 3 seconds off charge isn't necessary. It's been very few and far between where those 3 seconds are a game breaker. It also helps you get into your core rotation faster while applying a slow simply by using part of said rotation , charge > deadly saber > battering > anni / rupture depending on the situation > anni / rupture depending on what you did previously > crip slash. With globals / rage requirements you should be applying crippling slash right around the time your rupture is wearing off baring you don't get knocked back etc etc.

I played rage a lot while leveling , however at 50 it's pretty laughable. If you know what you're doing you can bug peoples smash out very easily , besides that in between bursts your damage bottoms out horribly. Vs any competent healer, your force crush wont stay on long enough to get you 2 stacks of shockwave .

Really tho, am a experienced pvp player and not one to use OP classes, but something feels very lackluster with Anni at the moment, still its better than carnage and rage and thats saying something.

tbh I dont think its a L2P problem, I know the areas mates have said I can get better at, but really I should be getting bigger numbers

Erm as annihilation you aren't going to be seeing huge numbers on anything besides annihilate , it's about doing very good sustained damage with burst mixed in. I can get my deadly saber to crit for 1600ish at 3 stacks and I think my ruptures are around 450-500, annihilates are critting anywhere from 3900-4900 depending on the gear the person I'm fighting is in and if I have relic / adrenal popped,screams are 2500ish.

Like I said before you're doing something wrong in your rotation or you're not using zerk properly. Between fights (Like running from A -B after a fight, not the second someone dies) you should be spamming sweeping slash to convert rage that would end up dissipating if not used into fury which lasts much longer. You can keep fury at 30 stacks a huge portion of the time by doing this, meaning you start most fights with 30 or you reach 30 very fast.

You might very well be an experienced PvPer but believe it or not marauders have a pretty high skill cap. The difference between an average mara and a good mara is pretty huge, I've trashed full BM mara using full cent + champ weapons by out playing them. Basically what I'm saying here is that you may be expecting the gear / class to carry too much weight in PvP without realizing just how much work goes into playing this particular class really well.

Edited by idrik

Your build could use some tweaks, but nothing there that will directly improve your damage really.

Payback especially are two points that could be spent better elsewhere. Personally I'd also take Defensive Forms and Defensive Roll if at all possible.

More Fury and taking less damage might give you a little boost I guess.

But I don't like to be told how to spec or play, so just take it as a suggestion, and try it out if you like.

Looking at your screenshot it's not all that bad really, compared to the rest of the team you did your share of DPS. Although based on the length of the WZ it could be higher.

In a Voidstar today, about the same length, I did something along the lines of 390k damage and 89 kills if I recall.

But it really depends on what opposition you get and how your team behaves, assuming your queuing solo.

In the end, the DPS part is not that hard, Deadly Saber > Rupture > Annihilate > Vicious Slash is how I tend to prioritize. Of course with all your other moves sprinkled in when appropriate.

The way I see it it's all about keeping your up time as high as possible, only dieing when you have to, and in a related matter always keeping an eye on the objectives.

But yeah, feel free to give us more insight on how you're playing, it's hard to give advice without much to base it on, and I'd rather be able to help than ramble on and on and spitting out platitudes.

Your build could use some tweaks, but nothing there that will directly improve your damage really.

Payback especially are two points that could be spent better elsewhere. Personally I'd also take Defensive Forms and Defensive Roll if at all possible.

But I don't like to be told how to spec or play, so just take it as a suggestion, and try it out if you like.

Looking at your screenshot it's not all that bad really, compared to the rest of the team you did your share of DPS. Although based on the length of the WZ it could be higher.

In a Voidstar today, about the same length, I did something along the lines of 390k damage and 89 kills if I recall.

But it really depends on what opposition you get and how your team behaves, assuming your queuing solo.

In the end, the DPS part is not that hard, Deadly Saber > Rupture > Annihilate > Vicious Slash is how I tend to prioritize. Of course with all your other moves sprinkled in when appropriate.

The way I see it it's all about keeping your up time as high as possible, only dieing when you have to, and in a related matter always keeping an eye on the objectives.

But yeah, feel free to give us more insight on how you're playing, it's hard to give advice without much to base it on, and I'd rather be able to help than ramble on and on and spitting out platitudes.

That really depends on what you're after. Payback is a free 2.5k healing medal, and it helped me out quite a few times as a ball carrier.

Not to undermine your suggestion, but defensive roll is not worth the 2 points. There simply isn't enough AE in team fights to justify taking it. I've tried it , and you honestly wont notice not having it, the major thing it helps with is rage/focus spec jugg/guardians. Those two points would be much better allocated in enraged charge or ferocity.

I have to agree with the OP, but I really don't think its a L2P issue.

There are ppl that just play the class better than others, i think of myself as being in the upper range of the average for my server.

I've never seen a Mara hit over 400k on my server, infact there is only one mara i've seen consistently get 300K + damage. The typical dmg range I see is between 150-250k.

lets face it, if you are pug'in WZs you can do really well or you can do really bad, its all about your up time.

.... Do i think we are a great 1v1 class, yes.

But I also agree about being a support class. We are best suited to go after healers and lock them down while all the lightning and tracer spammers kill the target. From what i've seen, we are simply really effective at doing this.

Our damage needs to be tweaked, imo, maybe adjust it so we have a little more burst?

That really depends on what you're after. Payback is a free 2.5k healing medal, and it helped me out quite a few times as a ball carrier.

Payback isn't worth the points it takes to get up to it, those points could be spent better elsewhere which is the point he was making.

A 2.5k heal is really negligible in the long run, one that you can only use it if you're cc'ed and it's once every 2 minutes vs something that will give you a much more consistent benefit.

But I also agree about being a support class. We are best suited to go after healers and lock them down while all the lightning and tracer spammers kill the target. From what i've seen, we are simply really effective at doing this.

Our damage needs to be tweaked, imo, maybe adjust it so we have a little more burst?

I don't think you understand what a support class actually is, because what you described is not support. Also if you're not assisting on kill targets , at least putting deadly throw on them before you peel off to kill its healer you're doing something very wrong.

Our burst is fine if you know how to burst as annihilation, would I complain if they increased it ? No. But it doesn't "need" to be increased at all , chunking off 50% of someones health is pretty solid if you ask me.

Ok this is the start of a fight say hutball, Ill use the speed buff right off so we get to the ball quicker, then Ill use power trinket then Leap > Battering Assault > Rupture > Annihilate I might throw in Assault depending on rage and Dots if there alive or at low heath, Ill just focas on keeping my dots up, next its pretty much the same but ill use my power stim as my trinket is on cooldown.

I went with the 10% heath as I get CC ALOT so the extra 10% is good Ill use undying rage and Berserk then Battering Assault > Rupture > Annihilate > Assault again to build rage and keep my dots up and gain back my HP.

I use Vicious Slash but i prefer Annihilate tbh

Oh here are my stats http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vm6hhc&s=5

Edited by WNxAbaddon

Ok this is the start of a fight say hutball, Ill use the speed buff right off so we get to the ball quicker, then Ill use power trinket then Leap > Battering Assault > Rupture > Annihilate I might throw in Assault depending on rage and Dots if there alive or at low heath, Ill just focas on keeping my dots up, next its pretty much the same but ill use my power stim as my trinket is on cooldown.

I went with the 10% heath as I get CC ALOT so the extra 10% is good Ill use undying rage and Berserk then Battering Assault > Rupture > Annihilate > Annihilate again to build rage and keep my dots up.

Oh here are my stats http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vm6hhc&s=5

You always want to stack your rakata adrenal with your relic when ever they're both up, staggering them doesn't do you nearly as much good.

Always prime deadly saber while you're in the air on the way to your target, when you land you can immediately battering into rupture or annihilate. Which you use is dependent on your target , when ever possible use anni first because it will refund rage meaning you can rupture right after with out having to use assault first. If you pick up enraged charge it doesn't matter which order you use them in.

Focus on keeping your rage up and damage going out, your dots will take care of themselves if you mind your CDs. You shouldn't have to focus on keeping them up, you SHOULD focus on the duration of rupture (if you take seeping wounds) so you can apply crip slash before it wears off.

So really, theres not much am doing wrong other than I stagger my relic and stims ?

So really what am I missing as apart from 2 things am doing everything everyone else is yet am losing 100k dps :p

Really thanks for the help, but again somethings not right some were am doing what you say I should do so yeh :confused:

So really, theres not much am doing wrong other than I stagger my relic and stims ?

So really what am I missing as apart from 2 things am doing everything everyone else is yet am losing 100k dps :p

Really thanks for the help, but again somethings not right some were am doing what you say I should do so yeh :confused:

Again, I cant tell you what you are doing wrong with out seeing you play. I can tell you that if your uptime on berserk isn't high you're losing a good chunk of damage. Any time you're not in a fight and have spare rage you should be spamming SS to build fury for the next fight.

It could be a multitude of different things, from poor target selection, poor rotation etc etc etc. I'm just trying to point out some of the more obvious things to do, besides spamming SS (I see VERY few mara doing this btw) I can't really tell you many of the subtleties to my personal play style ,they're just things I do out of habbit /because they need to be done. If I could watch you play, I could try to give you more pointers on things you could do better.

I would say just keep at it, see what works and what doesn't. Work on your overall damage uptime, zerk , blood lust when it's up and the situation calls for it, rage management etc etc.

Again, I cant tell you what you are doing wrong with out seeing you play. I can tell you that if your uptime on berserk isn't high you're losing a good chunk of damage. Any time you're not in a fight and have spare rage you should be spamming SS to build fury for the next fight.

It could be a multitude of different things, from poor target selection, poor rotation etc etc etc. I'm just trying to point out some of the more obvious things to do, besides spamming SS (I see VERY few mara doing this btw) I can't really tell you many of the subtleties to my personal play style ,they're just things I do out of habbit /because they need to be done. If I could watch you play, I could try to give you more pointers on things you could do better.

I would say just keep at it, see what works and what doesn't. Work on your overall damage uptime, zerk , blood lust when it's up and the situation calls for it, rage management etc etc.

Thats the 2nd thing i need to do is spamm SS I thought that cost rage to use thus i dropped it as it dosnt apply to pvp Ill add it in again and try it, as for a vid yes am working on that asap :S even made a account on youtube lol

Thats the 2nd thing i need to do is spamm SS I thought that cost rage to use thus i dropped it as it dosnt apply to pvp Ill add it in again and try it, as for a vid yes am working on that asap :S even made a account on youtube lol

It costs 1 rage, hence me saying inbetween fights you use the rage that would otherwise degrade and end up wasted to spam SS and build fury. It's major use in PvP is as a rage dump to build fury between fights, It doesn't hit hard enough to justify using for any other reason than to get multiple people off a node if they're clustered or as a rage dump.

you also have to take into a/c that we are all spread across different servers thus facing different opposition.

whereas one server could have a load of battlemaster healers that can heal through your dots getting you massive scores vs new 50s that you can tear through . (less damage but higher kills).

fighting knowledgable opposition changes the dynamic so much - take someone who knows to dispel your dots or cc you before you can do enough damage- take it that deadly saber with full rupture tick and anni will not kill someone - lot of time for you to be focused / cc'd out of it.

on the ravager server - i rarely see marauders getting above 300 k damage in any wz im in (not including voidstar) .(to be fair i rarely see any wz with massive damage from any class)

last night was the first time i broke 350k in hutball - and i only got that because i was hitting on a healer for minutes . eventually killed him but took awhile.

noticed that we seem to beprimary targets on our server - so 3 peoplehitting on you means alot of downtime in respawn chamber :D.

dont think it is as simple as l2p issue. there are so many other variables that i find it insulting to just throw that out there.

You are complaining even though you did really well in a wz?

jeeze. Do you want us to get nerfed?

I believe that it is more of a server issue. You can only do as well as the match lasts and what the others do. Stop complaining and keep owning dude. 300k will happen regularly the more you practice the class and find targets suitable to attack.

If you are having problems playing marauder, its a L2P problem. You're doing something wrong, or not putting out optimal DPS or wasting cooldowns.. something to that effect. The marauders who know how to play their class can dominate with any spec, so if you're having issues with anni its definitely a L2P problem.

Don't worry tho, you arent alone marauder is the toughest class to play well