Bioware's ignorance reflects the Heroic Moment Legacy

Samvan

Wrong, because if the Orbital Strike works as intended, it knock downs every enemy standard NPC within range.

Which can be seen as a stun since they cannot do anything everytime the NPCs get knocked down.

How often do you need to use your Heroic Moment against standard enemies? Unless you're just doing it to show off.

When you need to use it, its when you're going up against something strong enough to seriously hurt. Like a Class boss or a champion. In that case, yes, a stun is more useful than an AoE damage attack.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're using heroic moment when facing standard NPC's you're doing it wrong.

I'd dare say that this thread proves who is really the one who's ignorant, and it's not Bioware.

Ever heard of an elite monsters and standard mobs together?

The Orbital Strike does damage to the elite monsters while knocking down the standard ones.

HUGE overpowered.

What does Dirty Kick do? One single target, 4 second stun. Yeah great one.

That's pretty rare, other then in heroics. If the standard stuff can't be burned down quickly then you are doing something wrong.

Again I'd much rather that that Elite stunned for 4 seconds then use an AoE on stuff that should already be dead.

Edited by VanorDM

That's pretty rare, other then in heroics. If the standard stuff can't be burned down quickly then you are doing something wrong.

Wrong, it's quite common during boss fights at Class quests.

Again, overpowered, Bioware should redesign this legacy part.

Just proves how bad they design stuff.

They're not mirrored because they're eight separate abilities, all available to both sides. If you think a particular one is high-powered... get it. It'll give it to all your characters on that legacy, Empire and Republic both.

The Orbital Strike does damage to the elite monsters while knocking down the standard ones.

HUGE overpowered.

What does Dirty Kick do? One single target, 4 second stun. Yeah great one.

I have never had a problem with a single elite and 4 standards. Elite + 2 strongs is much harder.

Edit: you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Superawesomerman

Doesn't orbital strike also have a cast time? So essentially, you are stunned for several seconds. Then you do some damage, and the weak enemies that don't matter are knocked down...

I would much rather instantly kick some boss and then beat on him for 4 seconds. Have those of you who are complaining about it tried seriously using dirty kick?

They're not mirrored because they're eight separate abilities, all available to both sides. If you think a particular one is high-powered... get it. It'll give it to all your characters on that legacy, Empire and Republic both.

^this. They cant be mirrored. The whole point of the Legacy system is to give you more reasons to play all of the 8 storylines they've put into the game.

What if I don't want to play an Imperial Agent, instead I want only Republic characters on my server and the heroic moment ability for IA is far overpowered compared to the Smuggler's ability?

And since legacy isn't account bound, I'm forced to roll an Imperial Agent when I want 8 Republic characters (each advanced class) just because I want the good version of the heroic moment?

I dont even.....

Edited by Samvan

I think I've used the Heroic Moment maybe a dozen times since I started playing pre-launch. That's maybe 12 times total across all the characters I've played, and at least half those usages were in world PVP.

The solo game---that is, the part of the game in which you use a companion---is stupid easy. The Heroic Moment is neat but unnecessary if you're not a mouthbreather. Thus, I don't care about this issue at all.

Edited by RolyartNala

What if I don't want to play an Imperial Agent, instead I want only Republic characters on my server because the heroic moment ability is far overpowered compared to the Smuggler's ability?

And since legacy isn't account bound, I'm forced to roll an Imperial Agent when I want 8 Republic characters (each advanced class) just because I want the good version of the heroic moment?

I dont even.....

Why should I be forced to play a Jedi Knight to get the /knight emote? Or a trooper/BH for their buff unlock? Because that's what's tied to them.

And if you're THAT dedicated to having full up republic, then you have the option of leveling the Agent first, then deleting it. You keep legacy unlocks.

Any player can make an Agent; playing only republic or only imperial is your own personal choice. Nobody's being 'punished', because everybody has exactly the same unlock requirements for it. Maybe I want that ability, play only empire, but don't like agent; I still have to go through agent to get it if I want it, same as somebody playing republic. You're *inventing* restrictions, and then feeling punished because of those restrictions.

Edited by Liokae

Doesn't orbital strike also have a cast time? So essentially, you are stunned for several seconds. Then you do some damage, and the weak enemies that don't matter are knocked down...

I would much rather instantly kick some boss and then beat on him for 4 seconds. Have those of you who are complaining about it tried seriously using dirty kick?

According to that other guy, when he sees a pack of elite + 4 standard, he pops heroic moment, then starts charging his 2.5 second orbital strike...

I dont see room for dirty kick in there!

because the heroic moment ability is far overpowered compared to the Smuggler's ability?

You can keep claiming that all you want, but that doesn't make it true. I can not see how you would ever want to use a big channeled AoE when you have heroic moment going.

I'm saying it again;

Han Solo (Smuggler) gets a kick because...thats how he is.

And An Imperial Agent gets a huge Orbital Strike that does massive damage to the area affected.....because thats how they are......

It's not a good example your giving. You're just proving that the republic classes are more dull than the Imperial.

Again, not a valid excuse. If it's ingame, it should be balanced and equal.

You can' t give superpowers to one side and bad stuff to another and then say "OH WELL U RARELY USE IT ANYWAY". That's just ignorance.

I guess you do not understand what the word VANITY means. I kept it in caps every-time to emphasize it for you, but I will go a step further.

---

van·i·ty [van-i-tee] Show IPA noun, plural van·i·ties, adjective

noun

1. excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain; conceit: Failure to be elected was a great blow to his vanity.

2. an instance or display of this quality or feeling.

3. something about which one is vain.

4. lack of real value; hollowness; worthlessness: the vanity of a selfish life.

5. something worthless, trivial, or pointless.

---

This is a skill to show off that you have already leveled a (fill in desired class here). An achievement you have accomplished nothing more.

The fact that you can use them while leveling is purely a bonus. These skills are nothing more then the Social armor in the game, and the flare gun, etc etc etc.

They are there to represent the class, not mirror damage out put.

This cannot be used in PVP and it cannot be used in any Endgame activities, and will not effect the outcome of anyone else's game but your own.

I have a few thoughts.

1) How 'useful' a heroic moment is will depend a lot on the class. A Commando already has a ton of AoE to use, adding Orbital Strike won't matter. They may prefer Dirty Kick, especially since have very few interrupts at their disposal. Conversely, a Shadow already has several stuns at their disposal and not much AoE, so they may prefer Orbital Strike.

2) Arguing about the 'balance' of an ability that can only be used 20 minutes and can't be used at all in operations, flashpoints, or warzones is pointless. It's an ability you can use while leveling, and you don't need ANY of them to level successfully.

3) They're not there to provide balance. They're their for fun and flavor. You may think Dirty Kick is uninspiring. I think it's awesome. I want to level a smuggler to 50 just so I can have my Jedi characters run around kicking people in the junk. Orbital Strike? *yawn*.

TL;DR

It doesn't matter if a an ability that's only used while soloing and that has a 20 minute cool-down is balanced.

Edited by amantheil

Legacy was designed for people who like to create multiple characters and give them some rewards for doing so. Complaining that one class gets an ability that does maybe 1k more damage over a minimum of 20 minutes is hardly worthy of a thread. Roll all the classes and it's not an issue, you then have all the heroic abilities at your fingertips.

What if I don't want to play an Imperial Agent, instead I want only Republic characters on my server and the heroic moment ability for IA is far overpowered compared to the Smuggler's ability?

I dont even.....

To not roll imperial characters is your own decision. The legacy system is set up so that, to get everything possible, you need 1 of each class on a server, so 4 Empire and 4 Republic. Your choice to miss out on things is exactly that, a choice. Bioware has hinted that later on there will be very rare rewards available only people that have both factions on a single server, with some kind of cross-faction legacy quests. Will you whine that you can't do those because you don't want to?

It all comes down to one thing. You made a choice to roll all republic on a server. You are missing out on 200 potential presence on all of your characters, 4 emotes, and 4 abilities. The fact that you are not getting those things is not Bioware's fault, it is yours.

I guess you do not understand what the word VANITY means. I kept it in caps every-time to emphasize it for you, but I will go a step further.

---

van·i·ty [van-i-tee] Show IPA noun, plural van·i·ties, adjective

noun

1. excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain; conceit: Failure to be elected was a great blow to his vanity.

2. an instance or display of this quality or feeling.

3. something about which one is vain.

4. lack of real value; hollowness; worthlessness: the vanity of a selfish life.

5. something worthless, trivial, or pointless.

---

This is a skill to show off that you have already leveled a (fill in desired class here). An achievement you have accomplished nothing more.

The fact that you can use them while leveling is purely a bonus. These skills are nothing more then the Social armor in the game, and the flare gun, etc etc etc.

They are there to represent the class, not mirror damage out put.

This cannot be used in PVP and it cannot be used in any Endgame activities, and will not effect the outcome of anyone else's game but your own.

You don't seem to get it.

You keep saying, vanity vanity vanity.

Vanity is for show.

Heroic Moment Abilities are not for show, sure they are RARELY used but they CAN turn a fight the other way around. They can be used in COMBAT, doesn't matter if it's Single Player. Combat is combat.

Therefore, this reason is not valid.

To not roll imperial characters is your own decision. The legacy system is set up so that, to get everything possible, you need 1 of each class on a server, so 4 Empire and 4 Republic. Your choice to miss out on things is exactly that, a choice. Bioware has hinted that later on there will be very rare rewards available only people that have both factions on a single server, with some kind of cross-faction legacy quests. Will you whine that you can't do those because you don't want to?

It all comes down to one thing. You made a choice to roll all republic on a server. You are missing out on 200 potential presence on all of your characters, 4 emotes, and 4 abilities. The fact that you are not getting those things is not Bioware's fault, it is yours.

How can it be MY fault?

I thought I'm the one playing the game and not Bioware.

Balance it or just remove this entire idea. It's painful to watch that Imperial Agent gets Orbital Strike, Bounty Hunter gets Flamethrower, Inquisitor gets Lightning Storm.

While the republic abilities are a huge joke.

Vanity is for show.

Heroic Moment Abilities are not for show, sure they are RARELY used but they CAN turn a fight the other way around. They can be used in COMBAT, doesn't matter if it's Single Player. Combat is combat.

And sometimes, despite what you think, an instant-cast stun is more useful in combat than a channeled AoE.

Therefore, your argument is not valid.

Edited by amantheil

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are trolling. Also calling someone a troll is against the rules on this board and can get you a warning.

It's quite simple, he's not trolling, he's disagreeing with you.

Go ahead and see who gets in trouble here... I can tell you right now it won't be him.

Wrong, he's claiming I can't handle a fight with a few standard mobs and an elite and then advises me to do it right.

Which I haven't stated anywhere, which I find ridiculously.

How can it be MY fault?

I thought I'm the one playing the game and not Bioware.

Balance it or just remove this entire idea. It's painful to watch that Imperial Agent gets Orbital Strike, Bounty Hunter gets Flamethrower, Inquisitor gets Lightning Storm.

While the republic abilities are a huge joke.

Because, you can clearly see the rewards presented to each class for leveling to 50/finishing storylines, and made a conscious choice to skip all of the empire content. Bioware is not forcing you to skip empire content, you are doing it to yourself. They are available to you, you made a choice not to get them.

I have a few thoughts.

1) How 'useful' a heroic moment is will depend a lot on the class. A Commando already has a ton of AoE to use, adding Orbital Strike won't matter. They may prefer Dirty Kick, especially since have very few interrupts at their disposal. Conversely, a Shadow already has several stuns at their disposal and not much AoE, so they may prefer Orbital Strike.

2) Arguing about the 'balance' of an ability that can only be used 20 minutes and can't be used at all in operations, flashpoints, or warzones is pointless. It's an ability you can use while leveling, and you don't need ANY of them to level successfully.

3) They're not there to provide balance. They're their for fun and flavor. You may think Dirty Kick is uninspiring. I think it's awesome. I want to level a smuggler to 50 just so I can have my Jedi characters run around kicking people in the junk. Orbital Strike? *yawn*.

TL;DR

It doesn't matter if a an ability that's only used while soloing and that has a 20 minute cool-down is balanced.

Let me emphasis 1. I have a mid-level Merc, and goodness I am thankful I levelled a Smuggler to 50 first. I lack interrupts, so when the bad guy is beginning his big heal and me without my electrocute... Bam! A much needed interrupt for a class without them.

Vanity is for show.

This is where you are showing your ignorance. You know that ignorance you are claiming everyone else is showing.

These are skills not meant for leveling, the fact you can use them to level is a BONUS. They give a nice OH **** get out the way move. These are vanity skills!

Bioware advertised them as VANITY SKILLS. The fact that you cannot use them regularly in combat shows this.

The only argument you have is "Wah I want a better skill for leveling my smuggler, its not fair it is not mirrored" when these skills are not needed nor required for leveling.

I accept the fact that your limited opinion believes my argument is not valid. But the very purpose of these skills and how Bioware themselves advertised them backs up my points.

These are a gift to the role-players, not the power-levelers. Come outside your box and you will see this.

BTW I would gladly trade you my Orbital Strike for your Kick.

Edited by Pesh