Was Dooku's execution planned?

DatBoiKeeKee

i don't think it would've. His plan covered pretty much every outcome of the war since he was controlling both sides of the war. The battle over coruscant basically just decided which side would be the victors in the end.

Had dooku managed to get away with palp then it would've meant that the republic's forces were no match for the separatists' forces and he would've used them to take over the galaxy instead of using the clone troppers with dooku at his side instead of anakin.

Hello,

Anakin is only desirable if he is the best. Why would Sideous lament the loss of a loser who couldn't beat Dooku?

He lost to Dooku countless times. He even lost to Obi-Wan. Sorta.

I think that his role in Palpatine's plan is a little more that being a killing-machine. He is the Chosen One, after all. There are even rumors that it was Darth Plagueis, who created him.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051ANRMW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_g351_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0D949EPZQMBBM9PZEYNX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Keeping this spoiler free, That book answers a lot of questions and speculations I see here, while not the main topic, it does answer others.

Edited by Artemys

Sidius wouldn't need to outright tell Dooku to incapasite obi-wan

All he'd need to do is tempt Dooku by commenting about how easy it was to beat anakin before, how obi wan is the bigger threat that he should deal with first and how he could easily win if obi wan was beaten/incapacitated first.

Sidius is great at manipulating people into doing what he wants without them knowing that it's his plan for it to go that way.

Palpatine was like 10 steps in front of everybody, he was planing something from the begining. "We will be watching your career with great intrest young Skywalker." How did no one think that was creepy? Dooku was old to, Papatine probably wanted an appentice who wouldn't die in his sleep. Anakin was stronge, young, and confused; the perfect package.:wea_03:

Palpatine was like 10 steps in front of everybody, he was planing something from the begining. "We will be watching your career with great intrest young Skywalker." How did no one think that was creepy? Dooku was old to, Papatine probably wanted an appentice who wouldn't die in his sleep. Anakin was stronge, young, and confused; the perfect package.:wea_03:

You know whats funny? Dooku was older than Palpatine.

I really wish the ROTS book gave us more insight into how Dooku felt about it. From what I remembered they hardly gave much.

I mean imagine it from his perspective. This guy works his butt off rallying the Confederacy convinced he's the ultimate Sith (aside from Sidious). He constantly believes he made the right decision turning dark and leaving the Jedi.

He goes along with all of Sidious's plans, then BAM - Palpatine: "Kill him now"

I bet he was thinking "*** DUDE!!! I did so much for you!!!"

I really wish the ROTS book gave us more insight into how Dooku felt about it. From what I remembered they hardly gave much.

I mean imagine it from his perspective. This guy works his butt off rallying the Confederacy convinced he's the ultimate Sith (aside from Sidious). He constantly believes he made the right decision turning dark and leaving the Jedi.

If I was Dooku I would have revealed who Palpatine was then and there as my revenge. Although Anakin probably wouldn't have believed him.

I think it was more of not only was Palpatine replacing Dooku (as an apprentice) and turning Anakin to the darkside but also removing a threat to him.

Shown in the Clone Wars series (I know some of you hate this show but hear me out) Asaj Ventress is Dooku's apprentice and eventually she starts becoming too powerful for Palpatine's taste and orders Dooku to kill her off. Soon after Ventress is out of the picture (or is she...) he immediatly gets another apprentice Savage Oppress and trains him as well. He wants to eventually overthrow Palpatine (as he should, he is a Sith) but rather than being covert about it (although Palps is always ahead of the game) he reveals too much.

Many things contributed to his execution as always Palpatine had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He removed a potential threat, got a stronger apprentice, and many secrets died with Dooku.

The ultimate win.

The book does go into all of that, actually.

Palpatine told Dooku that the plan was for him to help Palpatine turn Anakin to the Darkside, then he was supposed to pretend to capture Dooku. While in prison, Dooku was going to have a "change of heart" and help Palpatine destroy the separatists.

Dooku was also a racist, which is why he made it so the leaders of the separatists were all alien species.

At the end of the duel, when Palpatine tells Anakin to kill Dooku, he realizes that everything he was told was a lie and that his part all along was meant to be Anakin's first cold-blooded murder.

Palpatine: "Kill him."

Dooku: "Wait, no! He's a S-"

Anakin: [chops head off]

Anakin hesitated a little after Palpatine said "Kill him" there was a small window of time that Dooku could have used to grab Anakins attention, whether Anakin would believe him or not is another story, but I believe this would have been reported to the council.

Anakin hesitated a little after Palpatine said "Kill him" there was a small window of time that Dooku could have used to grab Anakins attention, whether Anakin would believe him or not is another story, but I believe this would have been reported to the council.

even dooku told anakin the truth nether anakin or jedi order would not believe him since they have no proof that sith named darth sidious even exists.

also all other points are against dooku since he is the one who kidnapped palpatine (if palpatine was sidious why would he order his own apprentice to kidnap him)

Edited by undeadsithdread

Actually, I suspect that the only reason for Dooku's existence was so Lucas could (sort of) finish the "Hammer Films" reunion by getting Christopher Lee in Star Wars somewhere...

actually reading the books Dooku's fall was in the works for many years, he was never meant to be a Sith Lord, just a Dark Jedi used by the true Sith, but when Maul died he was the only one left until Sidious could find a real apprentice, he always planned to throw him away.

actually reading the books Dooku's fall was in the works for many years, he was never meant to be a Sith Lord, just a Dark Jedi used by the true Sith, but when Maul died he was the only one left until Sidious could find a real apprentice, he always planned to throw him away.

Dooku was a Sith Lord...

Well, you saw the shock and surprise when Palps told Anakin to kill Dooku.

And, if you remember or if I remember correctly, in the AoTC movie, when Obi is captured and Dooku italks about Sidious and Obi refuses to believe it. Its when Obi was captured.

Its a little scene. I don't own the movie anymore but I remember it.

Just saw this response, as well as the ones from Burek and undeadsithdread, just now. Thanks for the answers guys.

With what we've learned here, it appears that Sidious was even more insidious (get it?) than I originally thought. :sy_darkside:

Not exactly the point of this thread, but I think it's still important and relevant. I've been wondering for quite a while - was Dooku aware that Darth Sidious was Chancellor Palpatine? A few posts ago ErikModi said that he was - but I'd like to see someone else back that up as well.

From a story point of view, there is no reason the story would require Dooku to know that Sidious was the chancellor. If I remember correctly, the only times we ever see Sidious contact Dooku are by holocomm. So if they never met in person, then it's perfectly possible that Dooku could go on just fine commanding the Separatists, receiving orders from Sidious to kidnap Palpatine on Coruscant, without realizing that Sidious was Palpatine. :D

Well, there is that time at the end of Ep. 2 when Sidious says to him something like "Good lord Tyranus". But the look on Dooku's face does show that he knew that Sidious was Palpatine.

Isn't there a deleted scene for RotS that covers Dooku knowing Palps / Sidious are the same or am I just really vividly remembering the Revenge of the Sith novelisation?

They were in the war together, playing both sides against the other just as Plagueis and Sidious did for one purpose > bring down the Jedi.

Dooku was a Sith but that would have only been to commit him to the cause until Anakin could take his place. Think about it logically, Dooku was too old to be a long term plan. Sidious even says as much at the end of the Plagueis novel.

Sidious was giddy on the thought of the Force's reaction to he and Plagueis trying to create life being turned into a Sith itself.

Oh, and Dooku was a Sith from the beginning, darthtyranus.com was registered by Lucasarts prior to Attack of the Clones being released.

Edited by SeraphRhane