Chapter IX KOTFE Character mute

Chuonmi

I want to know why my character has turned mute in chapter IX of KOTFE? As from conversing with Doctor Oggurobb it has gone back to the KotOR style conversations and it's not why i bought this game, we bought it because this game was fully voiced.

I hate it. Only reason I stayed on this game, was because of voice-acting. And now they try to make it up, by bringing in an out-dated, rather ugly, Nostalgia Interface, THAT ISNT EVEN BETTER THAN THE ONE WE HAD.

It's only for the alliance thing. It's not going to be an ongoing thing for the chapters. It's no different than SOR. Pick up a daily quest your character gives one line and you have no options for choices. You just instantly get the quest. This is a far better alternative.

It's only for the alliance thing. It's not going to be an ongoing thing for the chapters. It's no different than SOR. Pick up a daily quest your character gives one line and you have no options for choices. You just instantly get the quest. This is a far better alternative.

We don't know that for sure. I hope you are right but if this is what all side mission quest are in the future then I think it is a bad direction. Sure it is better than what was there in SOR but worse for what the main game has. What if it starts happening with important mission quests. I think that will be where many will draw the line. Personally the classic conversations are asking a bit much now.

We don't know that for sure. I hope you are right but if this is what all side mission quest are in the future then I think it is a bad direction. Sure it is better than what was there in SOR but worse for what the main game has. What if it starts happening with important mission quests. I think that will be where many will draw the line. Personally the classic conversations are asking a bit much now.

It only happens with the alliance quests. The few main quests there are that are "Chapter 9." are still voiced while these side alliance quests aren't. We are passed chapter 9 now. We're awaiting chapter 10. The main story won't be done like this.

It only happens with the alliance quests. The few main quests there are that are "Chapter 9." are still voiced while these side alliance quests aren't. We are passed chapter 9 now. We're awaiting chapter 10. The main story won't be done like this.

Yeah I get that the main quest in the story are voiced and I am assuming so are the main quests in future chapters.

But I do worry for the future content after these chapters, after the whole story of kotfe. If they are trying it now on side quests who is to know that Bioware won't try it on main quests. Plus based on chapter nine we could assume any future side quest after the alliance chapter will also not have voices and that is very disappointing.

I don't want classic conversations like kotor, I'm paying for voiced conversation with decent editing on the game swtor. That was the standard at the beginning, this is a step backwards.

Yeah I get that the main quest in the story are voiced and I am assuming so are the main quests in future chapters.

But I do worry for the future content after these chapters, after the whole story of kotfe. If they are trying it now on side quests who is to know that Bioware won't try it on main quests. Plus based on chapter nine we could assume any future side quest after the alliance chapter will also not have voices and that is very disappointing.

I don't want classic conversations like kotor, I'm paying for voiced conversation with decent editing on the game swtor. That was the standard at the beginning, this is a step backwards.

As mentioned, side quests haven't been voiced since hutt cartel. I do like this over the alternative of just "Getting the quest." Problem is the game isn't profitable enough to have each side quest fully voiced. It sucks but it is what it is.

From the dev blog about Alliances:

Classic Conversation Presentation

Alliance content is presented in what we've dubbed the "Classic Conversation" format, which may look strikingly familiar to fans of Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic™:

These conversations use a distinct letterboxing format, as well as a distinct font styling to set them apart visually. These conversations are characterized by their more character-centric nature, both in terms of storyline and cinematography.

Story character narrative lines in classic conversations are fully voiced as you have all come to expect. Player responses in classic conversations are presented as an open-ended list of response options, displayed in full (as opposed to in paraphrases), and are not voiced. The classic conversation format allows us to give you a much wider array of choices and potential outcomes, as well as more specific, complex, and subtle character reactions to your choices.

Player responses in classic conversations are presented as an open-ended list of response options, displayed in full (as opposed to in paraphrases), and are not voiced. The classic conversation format allows us to give you a much wider array of choices and potential outcomes, as well as more specific, complex, and subtle character reactions to your choices.

What reactions? Your toon sits there like a mannequin with its back turned to you. It's lifeless and cheap.

Is money that tight now? Because there is no way this was implemented because they thought it would be better.

Edited by Dayshadow

What reactions? Your toon sits there like a mannequin with its back turned to you. It's lifeless and cheap.

Is money that tight now? Because there is no way this was implemented because they thought it would be better.

Again. Pick up dailies/side quests in makeb and SOR. Then tell me it's better than the alliance quests. At least the npcs talk and respond to your words. Side quests in makeb and SOR? They didn't. They said one line when accepting the quest and that's it. Not even a "Cutscene."

Eh, it'd have been nice to have the alliance stuff voiced but probably within reason given what they probably paid to record all the main chapter installments for the next year.

and yeah, its way, way better than SOR side quests where you right click, your character says a line and you immediately get the quest. At least this way you can still RP a little bit

Edited by maxetius

Again. Pick up dailies/side quests in makeb and SOR. Then tell me it's better than the alliance quests. At least the npcs talk and respond to your words. Side quests in makeb and SOR? They didn't. They said one line when accepting the quest and that's it. Not even a "Cutscene."

Get raped, beaten and mutilated and then tell me that just being raped isn't better than the former.

Comparing crap to crap doesn't negate the fact that it's crap. The fact that there is something worse doesn't make an thing good or acceptable.

Edited by Dayshadow

Get raped, beaten and mutilated and then tell me that just being raped isn't better than the former.

Comparing crap to crap doesn't negate the fact that it's crap. The fact that there is something worse doesn't make an thing good or acceptable.

It doesn't matter. Fully voicing even the side quests just isn't feasible. SWTOR wasn't as popular as they hoped. If it costs them more money than they're making or they're just breaking even they'll just shut it down. It's good we have a game and it's good they offered something better than what they had before. This shows they are trying to find alternatives to the problem.

Also comparing this at all to being raped is ridiculous.

Edited by Rhyltran

They aren't tight on money. This game is making more money as a f2p than it ever was as just a subscription based mmo. If I had to guess as to why they chose to not have the alliance deal voiced, it is simply to save money on things that most players will not give a damn about outside of completing it. I also would not doubt that everything outside of main-story will go this route, because most people will space-bar through **** anyway. When it comes to side-quests and grinding quests, most only care what the quests give you, and what they need to do to get the reward. Why spend thousands of dollars on voice actors for things people do not care about outside a reward? Edited by cool-dude

It doesn't matter. Fully voicing even the side quests just isn't feasible. SWTOR wasn't as popular as they hoped. If it costs them more money than they're making or they're just breaking even they'll just shut it down. It's good we have a game and it's good they offered something better than what they had before. This shows they are trying to find alternatives to the problem.

Also comparing this at all to being raped is ridiculous.

They make plenty between Subscriptions, passes and the Cartel Market. Admit it. You just pulled that excuse out of your arse.

I did not compare the mute protagonist to rape. I simply used an example to demonstrate that bad is still bad even if there is something worse.

Edited by Dayshadow

They make plenty between Subscriptions, passes and the Cartel Market. Admit it. You just pulled that excuse out of your arse.

I did not compare the mute protagonist to rape. I simply used an example to demonstrate that bad is still bad even if there is something worse.

Except they don't. They don't make as much as they wanted. Cartel, subs, or not. They originally planned to have a minimum of 500,000 players. They said to keep things going the way they were and to have regular updates/more class stories (which was in the original plan.) they needed 500,000 MINIMUM. This is what they expected. So 500,000 people paying 15 dollars a month. That's 7,500,000 a month from subs.

They switched to a free to play model that uses a game shop because they didn't have the subs they wanted. It's still profitable and it still allows them to keep the game afloat but let's be honest. They still expected better than this and if they could have the numbers they originally planned for they wouldn't have gone free to play. Note the above was literally the bare minimum. They probably expected to have several million subs.

I doubt SWTOR is making 112,000,000 a year. Oh, I'm sure it's making money but there's a reason up until KOTFE we haven't even seen another CGI trailer. Which alone costs millions btw. Voice actors aren't sheep. The work they did on the game isn't cheap and it's a concession they made to have regular updates. For the first time ever we're getting monthly chapter updates. To maintain that with their budget would require sacrifices. Those included pushing new ops back and cutting back on the amount of voice work. Before this expansion?

There have been massive lay offs. If you think the game is as profitable as expected but they went F2P just because and they cut back on the crew "Just because." you're seriously ignoring facts.

To be honest most mmo's can't afford voice work at all. So there's that.

Edited by Rhyltran

While I love most things about this expansion and think it's terrific, the old style dialogues without the player's voice were one thing I really disliked. If they insist on continuing this, I hope it will be just for minor conversations, otherwise, there should be proper cut-scenes.

Except they don't. They don't make as much as they wanted. Cartel, subs, or not. They originally planned to have a minimum of 500,000 players. They said to keep things going the way they were and to have regular updates/more class stories (which was in the original plan.) they needed 500,000 MINIMUM. This is what they expected. So 500,000 people paying 15 dollars a month. That's 7,500,000 a month from subs.

They switched to a free to play model that uses a game shop because they didn't have the subs they wanted. It's still profitable and it still allows them to keep the game afloat but let's be honest. They still expected better than this and if they could have the numbers they originally planned for they wouldn't have gone free to play. Note the above was literally the bare minimum. They probably expected to have several million subs.

I doubt SWTOR is making 112,000,000 a year. Oh, I'm sure it's making money but there's a reason up until KOTFE we haven't even seen another CGI trailer. Which alone costs millions btw. Voice actors aren't sheep. The work they did on the game isn't cheap and it's a concession they made to have regular updates. For the first time ever we're getting monthly chapter updates. To maintain that with their budget would require sacrifices. Those included pushing new ops back and cutting back on the amount of voice work. Before this expansion?

There have been massive lay offs. If you think the game is as profitable as expected but they went F2P just because and they cut back on the crew "Just because." you're seriously ignoring facts.

To be honest most mmo's can't afford voice work at all. So there's that.

Pre-F2P doesn't matter. Of course they went F2P because subs simply don't work anymore outside niche games like EVE Online. However, now that it is F2P they are making plenty of money. Like I said before, you're pulling excuses out of your arse. Amiright?

I also feel the strong need to express my opinion on the matter. While the nod to old KOTOR games, which most of us played at some point, does bring back a bit of nostalgia, it more strikingly reminds us of just how far the gaming world has progressed since then. After such dynamic, fast-paced and graphically pleasing 8 chapters of KotFE so far, the negative impression of this change is all the more striking. I really hope they bring the dialogue back to where it was, cause nostalgia or not, this is a huge leap backwards.

I loved KOTOR, but that was a lifetime ago.

Your opinion.

As for me: I hate the "widescreen" crap, with the black bars at the top and bottom. I already have a widescreen TV as my monitor, why the hell would I want my picture to be any more narrow than it already is?!? And my character is not voiced?? UGH. It's nearly dealbreaker for me.

I don't enjoy those mockeries of conversations. I spacebar the hell through them to get them the hell over with!!