A Healer's Pet Peeve about Kolto Stations

So, with 5.0 I have started running more veteran flashpoints than I used to. For the most part, I have actually been enjoying myself.

There is one thing, however, that has started to bug me. The way players use kolto stations.

I play as a healer most of the time, and while I don't think I'm the best healer ever, I am adequate. People in the groups I'm a part of do not tend to die.

Which brings me to the pet peeve. I understand using the kolto stations when I flub something up and people come close to dying, and I understand using them during bosses with a particularly rough damaging phase. But even when no one in my group has dropped below 80% for the entirety of the boss fight, and in some cases where the group is actually at 95% and above, some people just keep spamming the kolto stations.

Why? Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be better for them, as dps (because it's usually the dps), to just keep killing to boss, and let me worry about the healing?

Or is the healer supposed to just dps the whole time and let the dps heal the group with kolto stations?

I just don't get it.

Yep, I see the same thing. They're probably used to run content in all-dps groups, where use of the med-stations is necessary, and get anxiety attacks when their health takes a dip. Looking at you, uprisings...

Which is why I run 'em as healer.

Agreed. I find it insulting when players use Kolto Stations, it's like saying "I don't want you to heal me, I'd rather heal myself." Therefore, I've adapted to healing during the trash but doing DPS on the bosses, and occasionally hitting a Kolto Station when someone is low. Those Kolto Stations heal way more than I can anyway, and they don't waste mana or a GCD.

But even when no one in my group has dropped below 80% for the entirety of the boss fight, and in some cases where the group is actually at 95% and above, some people just keep spamming the kolto stations.

Ouch. This is a bad habit for those players to get into.

I've been in an all-dps group, watching the other members of the party use the kolto stations when they didn't need to, only to wipe halfway through a boss fight due to the stations being on cooldown when we DID need them.

Edited by Khevar

If you don't want dps to click them then we will end up in situation where sentinel who is closest to kolto station refused to click it because "muh damage is more important than anything else, can't stop even for millisecond."

Then someone else, usually me, runs to kolto station from other side of area only to see "[insert name here] has been defeated" on screen.

Edited by Halinalle

yeah it's annoying and it's probably also why there's so many useless max level healers. they don't get to practice while leveling because ******* spam those stations if they lose even 1% hp, or they get kicked and replaced by a companion.

It`s because the greater part of the community in this game are terrible players, with almost 0 situational awareness, and do not recognize that when you have a healer you are far better off to keep dps up on boss than clicking kolto stations.

Plus they are blue and shiny, how can you not click them...?

If you don't want dps to click them then we will end up in situation where sentinel who is closest to kolto station refused to click it because "muh damage is more important than anything else, can't stop even for millisecond."

Then someone else, usually me, runs to kolto station from other side of area only to see "[insert name here] has been defeated" on screen.

It's not that I don't want dps to use the kolto stations, I just don't want them to use the stations when they're not needed.

It's one thing to use them when one or more people drop below 50%, it's another to spam them while everyone consistently stays above 80%.

The second situation is the pet peeve that I'm complaining about.

I'm a healer but I do not take it personally when they use the kolto stations. I just chalk it up to the fact that either

(1) They never really ran with a healer that knows what they are doing

(2) They are trying to make my job easier;

(3) First time they ever ran a flashpoint or;

(4) They are used to doing that and it a habit to them.

I just go with the flow and keep an eye on their health and if drops too far I will heal them until then I do some dps with my healer if they want to use the Kolto stations. Not going to get upset about something like that.

They will eventually learn in flashpoints or operations that don't have kolto stations that healers can do their jobs but until then most of them have never done a hardmode flashpoint or operation where they need to depend on the healers.

Edited by casirabit

So, with 5.0 I have started running more veteran flashpoints than I used to. For the most part, I have actually been enjoying myself.

There is one thing, however, that has started to bug me. The way players use kolto stations.

I play as a healer most of the time, and while I don't think I'm the best healer ever, I am adequate. People in the groups I'm a part of do not tend to die.

Which brings me to the pet peeve. I understand using the kolto stations when I flub something up and people come close to dying, and I understand using them during bosses with a particularly rough damaging phase. But even when no one in my group has dropped below 80% for the entirety of the boss fight, and in some cases where the group is actually at 95% and above, some people just keep spamming the kolto stations.

Why? Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be better for them, as dps (because it's usually the dps), to just keep killing to boss, and let me worry about the healing?

Or is the healer supposed to just dps the whole time and let the dps heal the group with kolto stations?

I just don't get it.

I just DPS because for some reason, as a healer myself, DPS still run to Kolto Stations for no apparent reason. Instead of staying on the bosses and doing the max sustained damage on the bosses, they run away to a Kolto Station to get 10K health back. It's a waste of my time and others. Especially when your health is 95% full at all times with me.

In my opinion, DPS shouldn't even be close to the Kolto tanks, unless of course it's an all DPS group. The beauty of being a healer is that you can move almost anywhere and still be effective. If you really needed to, the healer should be the one popping the kolto stations.

In my opinion, DPS shouldn't even be close to the Kolto tanks, unless of course it's an all DPS group. The beauty of being a healer is that you can move almost anywhere and still be effective. If you really needed to, the healer should be the one popping the kolto stations.

- Manaan

- Second boss

- low level healer

- You're only lvl70 damage dealer in group and therefor have boss on you at all times

- No tank

That low level healer isn't going to keep you up. Yes, even Commando's DCDs run out at some point. All you can do is run from kolto to kolto.

Edited by Halinalle

you be surprised how many people dont understand, how kotlo stations work.

The only person that should be running to the kolto stations is the person closest to death IE 20% of health left, that way kotlo stations do the most healing. seeing the health it restore to person getting it and how much the group get restored is based on how little hp the person getting it has left.

Edited by Kyuuu

you be surprised how many people dont understand, how kotlo stations work.

The only person that should be running to the kolto stations is the person closest to death IE 20% of health left, that way kotlo stations do the most healing. seeing the health it restore to person getting it and how much the group get restored is based on how little hp the person getting it has left.

True, but the problem is there's a fine line sometimes when a dying player is so engaged in the boss/mob and you have to decide whether to go hit the tank for him or wait for him to realize it which may be too late. I've been yelled at by another player that was at 5% health ( we had no healer) and I started to run for the tank to help him. I didn't see he was right behind me and so I hit the K tank and he died from a DOT. :o:D:D:D:D

So quickie story: Uprising (the Frost one) and I'm on my commando healer. It was story mode so it wasn't like I was worried. But we started the narrow cave fight and one of the dps hits the tank before we start. I had everyone to full health. Well it's my understanding the tanks don't respawn in Uprisings. Nobody's health dropped below 85% so no biggie. Get to the open area and start the fight and one of the dps heads for the K tank again at the beginning of the fight. Everyone was topped off. Why? Whatever.

Finally get to the walker. Someone's health drops 10%. No biggie. Go to heal them and a dps hits k tank. Halfway through walker fight, another k tank hit. Nobody below 90% health. So I finally type: "hey guys, let's save the tanks in case we really need them." I believe someone hits the final k tank ( I think it was final) almost out of maliciousness or so it seemed. So walker goes down and we start final boss. One of the dps drops to 80% health and starts running for the K tanks. Can't find one. :D In that split second I figure, since I took the video game Hippocratic Oath as a healer, I'll heal them up but oh how i didn't want to!!!!:rolleyes:

It is the glowing effect that they want to click on it for the most part.

My bigger peave is when there is none and the 3 dps i am trying to heal run 3 different directions.

OMG this.

The other day in the Hoth Uprising that last boss has a rock in the middle that creates LOS issues and OMG I thought I was going to go insane. Yes there is the mass quantities of targeted AOE, but one does not need to run around like a headless chicken to avoid them

Healer in Veteran FP's is required when clearing trash mobs on the way to the boss, in bossfights it's better to be dpsing the boss while popping the kolto stations. Makes it go quicker.

But then you have the Colonel in Maelstrom Prison...takes half your health in one shot, but that's all he does. three dps see one take that damage and they all run to Kolto all clicking and then the next time it happens there's no kolto. In a run I did recently, I had to explicitly tell the group, "Only the one that gets hit should get kolto" They did not listen and the group died except me - the healer - two left the group and I soloed him down from ~40% Dotting and hiding.

• 7 months later...

I noticed as dps that kolto stations allows to draw attention from bosses, as an aggro machine.

When a healer is in the group and I use it there are 2 reasons for it:

1) I'm too low and I don't want to risk it

2) I'm trying to off-tank, even when i'm a sentinel/marauder or sniper/gunslinger.

Not many people know how to tank or can keep the boss on themselves. This lead to bosses switching targets constantly.

So if I'm one of those people you encounter as a healer that uses it even when its not needed, I apologize.

Either way, in HS people use it cause you can then just stand in the sweeping fire and burn through the boss without any problem.