Gabe Amatangelo's WZ Preferencing Feedback

FaceVex

I rarely post but I found myself compelled to do so after reading this.

Gabe Amatangelo recently replied to a Q&A question regarding WZ queueing with the following:

"Simoon: Will you be adding the option to choose what Warzone you enter a queue for?

"Not until we introduce cross server queuing. If we were to allow players to choose their Warzone before they could queue across servers, then it would negatively affect how often every player would see a Warzone – and for every player that loves a certain Warzone there is another player that hates it. The population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone. With cross server queuing we will still have a preference to match players of the same server, but those players who choose specific preferences such as these will likely end up in a match with players in the larger Wargroup."

This logic is problematic for the following reasons:

1. "for every player that loves a certain warzone there is another that hates it". For this reason, you're concluding that we must make everyone play all warzones until we can get enough people to que for all the WZs and then you may give us the choice to opt out of specific wzs? This is ridiculous. If you find that very few people que for one of your WZs, then that means that warzone has a problem and perhaps you should replace or change it. Let us decide on how we wish to play the game and then you should react based on the way we're playing it. Forcing all warzones down our throats is ridiculous.

2. "the population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone." So what? If given the choice to do no WZ or a WZ I despise, i choose no WZ every time. Additinoally, if you are forcing people to play an unpopular WZ, then this is an admission that the WZ is flawed and should be changed or removed. People will que according to wait times and preference. If they are finding that their preference takes too long for the WZ to pop because of population imbalance issues or that their WZ preference is a minority, they may on their own then opt to change their que preference. But let us decide this for ourselves.

3. At no time during our play time should the game make these choices for the players. Give us complete choice to select our WZ and then make your decisions as a company based off the preferences you are seeing the community make. If you're truly interested in tailoring the game to the demands of your community. Allow the community to make choices so you can gain real feedback. If you find that the community consistently opts out of a specific WZ, then you will learn from that.

4. Has it occurred to you that it is entirely possible that you have people opting to not que for Warzones at all because they're tired of Huttball? I personally, do not mind huttball. But I will not que for it 50 times in a row either. That is mind numbing. However, many of us would like to que for WZs and we don't mind how long it takes so long as it's not the same thing over and over. If you truly wish to gauge the pulse of the community, then you must be willing to allow us to make these kinds of choices for ourselves.

It is my hope that you will find the value in giving us choice here. Making the decision for us is not only bad for the players, but it is a poor measurement of the success of the WZs you're implemented into the game.

Regards,

The inability to queue for what I want to is part of the reason i'm not bothering to renew. I have to get into a wz, just to find out its huttball, then I quit. If these people can't be bothered to fix an obviously broken system. I can't be bothered to continue giving them my money.

War, in the first month, was awesome. Problem with War, was that the devs couldn't fix the problems with an awesome system. The fix was to remove all the fun stuff, instead of fixing it. Great. Now we have these people working on pvp for swtor? Yeah...I have no faith that anything is going to get fixed, it'll just get removed because they don't know how to fix it.

GW2 FTW.

Gabe is a terrible PvP creator, you realize this yes? This is not the first game he's ruined in his career.

Maybe so, but I still have hope that there is someone at BW with rational thought left that listens to the community feedback.

The inability to queue for what I want to is part of the reason i'm not bothering to renew. I have to get into a wz, just to find out its huttball, then I quit. If these people can't be bothered to fix an obviously broken system. I can't be bothered to continue giving them my money.

War, in the first month, was awesome. Problem with War, was that the devs couldn't fix the problems with an awesome system. The fix was to remove all the fun stuff, instead of fixing it. Great. Now we have these people working on pvp for swtor? Yeah...I have no faith that anything is going to get fixed, it'll just get removed because they don't know how to fix it.

GW2 FTW.

Sadly, much of this is true. And WAR was amazing at first, I agree. We had some epic keep takes that reminded me of daoc. However, I haven't given up hope with this game. I'm still hoping for real faction bases with write assault instead of its current form where all we have to do is click on an objective to take it. Open world pvp is another beast altogether. So I'll drag myself back to the original thought of wz preferencing.

Maybe so, but I still have hope that there is someone at BW with rational thought left that listens to the community feedback.

lol

all I don't think community feedback factors into many of their decisions. I think they decide something in a meeting and we get it whether we want it or not, after all BW knows what we want more than we do.

and pretty much everything I hear from Gabe convinces me more and more he has very little control over pvp design decisions (or just isn't very good or has never actually played an mmo that he isn't working on).

Edited by Roak

lol

all I don't think community feedback factors into many of their decisions. I think they decide something in a meeting and we get it whether we want it or not, after all BW knows what we want more than we do.

feedback is a major factor in what they decide to do. problem is, many people think their personal opinions represent the majority of the player base when in fact it doesnt.

I rarely post but I found myself compelled to do so after reading this.

Gabe Amatangelo recently replied to a Q&A question regarding WZ queueing with the following:

"Simoon: Will you be adding the option to choose what Warzone you enter a queue for?

"Not until we introduce cross server queuing. If we were to allow players to choose their Warzone before they could queue across servers, then it would negatively affect how often every player would see a Warzone – and for every player that loves a certain Warzone there is another player that hates it. The population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone. With cross server queuing we will still have a preference to match players of the same server, but those players who choose specific preferences such as these will likely end up in a match with players in the larger Wargroup."

This logic is problematic for the following reasons:

1. "for every player that loves a certain warzone there is another that hates it". For this reason, you're concluding that we must make everyone play all warzones until we can get enough people to que for all the WZs and then you may give us the choice to opt out of specific wzs? This is ridiculous. If you find that very few people que for one of your WZs, then that means that warzone has a problem and perhaps you should replace or change it. Let us decide on how we wish to play the game and then you should react based on the way we're playing it. Forcing all warzones down our throats is ridiculous.

2. "the population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone." So what? If given the choice to do no WZ or a WZ I despise, i choose no WZ every time. Additinoally, if you are forcing people to play an unpopular WZ, then this is an admission that the WZ is flawed and should be changed or removed. People will que according to wait times and preference. If they are finding that their preference takes too long for the WZ to pop because of population imbalance issues or that their WZ preference is a minority, they may on their own then opt to change their que preference. But let us decide this for ourselves.

3. At no time during our play time should the game make these choices for the players. Give us complete choice to select our WZ and then make your decisions as a company based off the preferences you are seeing the community make. If you're truly interested in tailoring the game to the demands of your community. Allow the community to make choices so you can gain real feedback. If you find that the community consistently opts out of a specific WZ, then you will learn from that.

4. Has it occurred to you that it is entirely possible that you have people opting to not que for Warzones at all because they're tired of Huttball? I personally, do not mind huttball. But I will not que for it 50 times in a row either. That is mind numbing. However, many of us would like to que for WZs and we don't mind how long it takes so long as it's not the same thing over and over. If you truly wish to gauge the pulse of the community, then you must be willing to allow us to make these kinds of choices for ourselves.

It is my hope that you will find the value in giving us choice here. Making the decision for us is not only bad for the players, but it is a poor measurement of the success of the WZs you're implemented into the game.

Regards,

Good post, and you're right. Let the players show the developers where they are hitting the mark or missing it, then adjust from there. So what if one map doesn't get played much.....if people really like it enough to queue for it, they will be willing to wait for it to spawn.

How can they seriously introduce any kind of choice for queuing with the faction imbalance like it is?

Most people hate Huttball by now because that's the one you always end up playing DUE to the imbalance.

When they start letting the predominant faction on each server fight each other on every WZ then it'd only kill WZs entirely.

The solution is to help the imbalance.

How can they seriously introduce any kind of choice for queuing with the faction imbalance like it is?

Most people hate Huttball by now because that's the one you always end up playing DUE to the imbalance.

When they start letting the predominant faction on each server fight each other on every WZ then it'd only kill WZs entirely.

The solution is to help the imbalance.

I don't really see how anyone at BioWare could be stupid enough to NOT see the imbalance a million miles away.

One faction has pretty lame looking gear, TERRIBLE voiceovers for TWO of the major archtypes, weak stories about endless and pointless self-sacrifice (whilst the council is seen to do absolutely nothing).

The other faction has pretty good looking gear (with exceptions), top rate voiceovers for both genders, more interesting storylines.

Kira Carsen said it best: "...it's as if every fashion designer in the Galaxy went over to the Dark Side."

And they wonder why Republic is outnumbered.

Warrior compared to Knight, Smuggler compared to Operative, Sage compared to Inquisitor... the only time Repub makes off better is Trooper vs. Junkyward BH - but the trooper storyline is so weak that it makes little to no difference.

Edited by Jatne

If you're seriously unable to understand why there is no choice atm for queuing then I am amazed and it seems that you're only objective is to complain because things doesn't suit YOU in the best possible way. There are decent and valid reason for this to not be in the game at the moment. Also Huttball is awesome. If you disagree you probably suck at it :(

I don't really see how anyone at BioWare could be stupid enough to NOT see the imbalance a million miles away.

One faction has pretty lame looking gear, TERRIBLE voiceovers for TWO of the major archtypes, weak stories about endless and pointless self-sacrifice (whilst the council is seen to do absolutely nothing).

The other faction has pretty good looking gear (with exceptions), top rate voiceovers for both genders, more interesting storylines.

Kira Carsen said it best: "...it's as if every fashion designer in the Galaxy went over to the Dark Side."

And they wonder why Republic is outnumbered.

Warrior compared to Knight, Smuggler compared to Operative, Sage compared to Inquisitor... the only time Repub makes off better is Trooper vs. Junkyward BH - but the trooper storyline is so weak that it makes little to no difference.

Voice over quality is mostly subjective. I find all the Republic voice over quality high.

Both sides have stupid looking outfits. Both sides also have moddable looks that fit characters and the inclusion of extractable mods / set bonuses on PVP/PVE high end gear will open options in this.

Storywise the Republic is all about self sacrifice and doing what is right. They are the good guys. The Empire is all about force lightning everyone they see. They are the bad guys. What could Bioware do about that? They portray each faction pretty accurate to how they should be.

If you don't like faction imbalance then go roll republic and stop being part of the problem.

If you're seriously unable to understand why there is no choice atm for queuing then I am amazed and it seems that you're only objective is to complain because things doesn't suit YOU in the best possible way. There are decent and valid reason for this to not be in the game at the moment. Also Huttball is awesome. If you disagree you probably suck at it :(

You clearly did not read the post as it clearly states that I like huttball but i get tired of doing it all night long. Therefore you're entire post holds zero credibility.

Edited by FaceVex