Prior to TORs release, did you ever think SWG would outlast it?

blur

Simple question.

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

It's a pretty mind-blowing concept, frankly. Especially considering how horrible most people think SWG was.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe ea will buy up the code to swg and rebadge it as ToR v2 :p

If it's SWG code before SOE totally ruined it, I'm first in line :)

Gosh... imagine that... a sandbox game for people who can think. Back on the market.

Edited by blur

Simple question.

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

It's a pretty mind-blowing concept, frankly. Especially considering how horrible most people think SWG was.

I think tor will be like swg after the nge, by that I mean there will be a small segment of players playing because it has the star wars name. I think eventually LA will cancel the license and move onto the next product. I honestly do NOT see SWTOR lasting past the end of the year. That's funny since swg lasted 7 years, despite having low populations for many years.

Edited by erictlewis

That's funny since swg lasted 7 years, despite having low populations for many years.

Precisely my point. Prior to TORs release, could we have imagined this in our wildest dreams? No way.

SWG was a flop after the first couple of months. SOE even admited it before the servers were shut down. The CU and NGE was desperate attempts to recover players. It might have had a lot of features, but most of them didn't work properly and the game ran like crap even on high-end PCs of the time.

Thing is, 3+ years ago SWTOR would have been amazing. But today it feels slightly outdated when we have more technically advanced games on the way, which are F2P based.

Edited by NasherUK

Simple question.

Nope and the simple reason why is that SoE licience expires in 2012 and they had no plans to renew it.

Given the obvious fact SW:TOR was being developed while SWG was live would tell you that Lucarts didn't have any real plans for SWG.

Given the obvious fact SW:TOR was being developed while SWG was live would tell you that Lucarts didn't have any real plans for SWG.

I'm not sure you have really understood the question I've posed.

Nope and the simple reason why is that SoE licience expires in 2012 and they had no plans to renew it.

He's talking total game lifetime, not year dates. So SWG was around for about 7 years; OP's saying he feels like TOR won't last that long, which was unthinkable a year ago.

<snip>

Gosh... imagine that... a sandbox game for people who can think. Back on the market.

Funny how small little insults can be built into sentences like that, right..... :rolleyes:

As if you required more thought-processes in SWG other than the decisions in staying away from that poor excuse for a game. Even if TOR tanks fast(er) - it doesn't change that SWG was terrible as well.

Edited by xandax

Funny how small little insults can be built into sentences like that, right..... :rolleyes:

As if you required more thought-processes in SWG other than the decisions in staying away from that poor excuse for a game. Even if TOR tanks fast(er) - it doesn't change that SWG was terrible as well.

It's all opinion in reality. Personally I loved playing swg, I felt like a kid let loose in a huge galaxy. Some people didn't. Not point in arguing about opinions.

You look back now that swg was terrible. SWG was good for it's time for one. SWTOR isn't very good for it's time. Nowadays the 1.2 patches or 1.3 coming up should've been at launch. SWTOR is missing way too much right now to be ready, even if they rerelease this game in 2 years, it will only go up to 2012 games, and you wouldn't have 2014 content. I feel like they delayed some stuff while making the game. Maybe swg live longer then swtor. Depends how many fanboys SW/Bioware has that will stay.

SWG was a flop after the first couple of months. SOE even admited it before the servers were shut down. The CU and NGE was desperate attempts to recover players. It might have had a lot of features, but most of them didn't work properly and the game ran like crap even on high-end PCs of the time.

Thing is, 3+ years ago SWTOR would have been amazing. But today it feels slightly outdated when we have more technically advanced games on the way, which are F2P based.

See I played it from launch on a low end PC at the time, ran everything on high without any issues. You're right though SWTOR does feel dated and not in an appealing arcadey kind of way.

Lotsa games in bad state like SWG were allowed to trudge on indefinitely. Their terms / licensing as well threshold for allowing those games to continue looked to be MUCH lower.

IMO also have to frame MMO's in the context of its time-period and how it stacked up versus other MMO of the period.

Lol, SWTOR is far from dead. Further away than the doom-mongers in the general forum claim.

I agree, I think that the community is split into nice people who go on the forums (like Dulfy), unsubbed ragers that dominate the forums (like the writers of those cliche SWTOR-is-horrible posts that pop up every day), and everyone else who is smart enough not to go on the forums at all.

SWG didn't have anywhere near the playerbase as TOR has, it never even came close. The doom and gloom is getting old.

You're right. It didn't have the numbers, but it had the community. If TOR ever went the way of SWG and ended up shut down (which to be honest I don't see happening just because of the monopoly that is EA) do you really think anyone would reverse engineer the code to make an emulator to bring it back for people who loved it to play?

Very much doubt it would happen.

Numbers don't make a good game, gameplay, replay-ability and longativity make a good game. Just because WoW has 10 million subs doesn't mean it's the greatest game of all time. It just means it's the easiest to get into.

Simple question.

Evidence?

None eh? Yea This game is doing much better than SWG did. I'm sure this game can survive on a handful of servers just as SWG did for so many years as well. :rolleyes:

Come on over to Starsider, err I mean The Fatman. The game is thriving and everyone is happy. :)

Edited by Kourage

Simple question.

No I did not, SWG was a complete shadow of it's former self the last few years. Only thing that kept me there were friends that slowly left over time. There was 0 to do and was one of the most boring experiences in gaming for me until the last few months. TOR is NEW yes it has been some months sinse December, but in all consideration it is still "new." Then take into consideration that we have people running it who don't have a huge amount of experience plus....TOR not being around long = not as much content as an older fleshed-out MMO.

Many lurking variables that today's MMO players fail to think about.:rolleyes:

You're right. It didn't have the numbers, but it had the community. If TOR ever went the way of SWG and ended up shut down (which to be honest I don't see happening just because of the monopoly that is EA) do you really think anyone would reverse engineer the code to make an emulator to bring it back for people who loved it to play?

Very much doubt it would happen.

Numbers don't make a good game, gameplay, replay-ability and longativity make a good game. Just because WoW has 10 million subs doesn't mean it's the greatest game of all time. It just means it's the easiest to get into.

What defines a good game is a matter of opinion. Aside from a few issues I think TOR is a good game while I compare SWG to vomit. In my opinion SWG was trash, to someone else it was good. Oh and SWG community wasn't any different from other mmo's aside from the fact that it was small and no one played the damn game. Remove the rose colored glasses already.