Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best PVP Builds in 2.0


RodneyMcNeely's Avatar


RodneyMcNeely
04.23.2013 , 09:57 PM | #31
I'm running 37/2/7 for 1v1 and going for as much DPS gear as I can manage while still maintaining as much survivability as I can.

How viable is full Kinetic Combat in DPS gear these days in a 1-on-1 fight?

Omophorus's Avatar


Omophorus
04.24.2013 , 09:00 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by AMKSED View Post
Having a blast with 0/23/23.
You've said this twice now, but I'm really struggling to figure out what such a build brings to the table over Waka 2.0.

It seems like a fluff damage DOT-spamming spec, which means it'll put up funny numbers in PUG WZs, but be utterly horrible at actually doing anything productive in a close match because it just doesn't have enough reliable killing power.

I think Waka 2.0 is probably going to be the optimal DPS build for Shadows and Assassins, because it gives up very little in exchange for one of the best AoE attacks in the game. It is at a slight disadvantage versus full tree Infiltration in extended engagements since it has less ability to repeatedly burst without exiting combat, but gains more utility and keeps all of the murdering goodness in short fights.

Burst is king in PVP and either Waka or full tree have the best burst. Waka has less telegraphed burst and more utility, so I'd say it's a superior spec overall.
Srs'bsns, GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk
5/5 Nightmare Power DF & DP
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"

Sacriversum's Avatar


Sacriversum
04.24.2013 , 09:17 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by RodneyMcNeely View Post
I'm running 37/2/7 for 1v1 and going for as much DPS gear as I can manage while still maintaining as much survivability as I can.

How viable is full Kinetic Combat in DPS gear these days in a 1-on-1 fight?
Would like to know that as well. Currently running Infiltration, but I miss a more measured pace of a tank build.

Gondolindhrim's Avatar


Gondolindhrim
04.25.2013 , 12:49 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
You've said this twice now, but I'm really struggling to figure out what such a build brings to the table over Waka 2.0.

It seems like a fluff damage DOT-spamming spec, which means it'll put up funny numbers in PUG WZs, but be utterly horrible at actually doing anything productive in a close match because it just doesn't have enough reliable killing power.

I think Waka 2.0 is probably going to be the optimal DPS build for Shadows and Assassins, because it gives up very little in exchange for one of the best AoE attacks in the game. It is at a slight disadvantage versus full tree Infiltration in extended engagements since it has less ability to repeatedly burst without exiting combat, but gains more utility and keeps all of the murdering goodness in short fights.

Burst is king in PVP and either Waka or full tree have the best burst. Waka has less telegraphed burst and more utility, so I'd say it's a superior spec overall.
This exactly. I tried to make sense of it as well, and I'm assuming such a spec would look something like this. What I still cannot understand at all however, is why on earth you would put 23 points into Infiltration but not pick up Potent Shadows. Like you say, all this spec will ever do is pad numbers so you can look at the scoreboard with a false sense of accomplishment after failing to contribute anything useful to your team. So to everyone reading this thread looking for honest advice, don't spec 0/23/23.

Wholeheartedly agree about Wakajinn 2.0 as well, less predictable burst = better burst (in PvP). As if the Clairvoyant Strike YoYo animation wasn't obvious enough, you can hear the damn thing from halfway across the map too. If your target is too stupid to respond to the imminent damage spike by popping defensives or CCing you (or their team by using Taunts, Guard etc), you could probably beat them with a 0/0/0 spec anyway.

Plus, with 3 charges of Force Potency, Force Breach > Force in Balance > Project deals wicked damage in a short time, without having to rely on the RNG. Reliable burst every time, provided you can exit combat every now and then (which is generally not too much of a problem in regs at least). Wakajinn is still where it's at.
Rheiya | Fyrellis | Kayleen | Adelynn | ydis | Hailey | Lyell | Leonyra
Freiya | Zeyus | Ivaadi | Ellyxia | Shyala | Sugarberry | Ylvie| Syeeda

DharmaPolice's Avatar


DharmaPolice
04.25.2013 , 05:42 AM | #35
Quote:
Given that the shields have been changed in 2.0, is a full tank build with full tank gear a viable option in PVP now?
My perspectives as someone who almost exclusively solo queues. I've been running a full tank build since 2.0 and I think it might be viable - at least in terms of unranked warzones (although it'll depend what it feels like when dps are fully geared). I was in full dps gear in 1.7 and it's taken a while to adjust to the predictable differences, namely:

- generally lower damage output means you can't take up the slack for useless DPS.
- very little burst (killing a half-way competent healer without help is next to impossible)
- solo capping is less likely to work (no instant lift & by the time you've killed anyone help has arrived)

The obvious upside is that you don't die as quickly (duh) and now it feels like guarding a decent healer against strong opponents isn't an immediate death sentence. And really the only chance you have for losing a turret quickly is if you make a mistake and let yourself be stunned awkwardly.

Whether or not you're a useful contributor to your team does heavily rely on the presence of at least one decent healer though (excluding node guarding/ball carrier duties). Where you have one (or better yet, two) then combined with your taunt

I'm not 100% clear on what my stat priorities should be though. I've largely followed KeyboardWarriors guidance in terms of absorb/shield/defence prioritising but I'm unclear on:
- Does it makes sense to switch my higher-endurance mods for the ones with higher defensive stats?
- If so, does it make sense to min-max Partisan before going for full Conqueror?
- What augments should I prioritise (I've mainly gone for absorb at present)
- What relics does it make sense to use? Does that depend on the warzone? I tried a healing relic recently and I noticed that in Huttball it resulted in a dismal amount of total healing done (because my self-heals were so rare - I was main ball carrier for the WZ).
Derimeth / Splendora / Rosaluxemburg - The Red Eclipse

Horkey's Avatar


Horkey
04.26.2013 , 06:46 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
You've said this twice now, but I'm really struggling to figure out what such a build brings to the table over Waka 2.0.

It seems like a fluff damage DOT-spamming spec, which means it'll put up funny numbers in PUG WZs, but be utterly horrible at actually doing anything productive in a close match because it just doesn't have enough reliable killing power.

I think Waka 2.0 is probably going to be the optimal DPS build for Shadows and Assassins, because it gives up very little in exchange for one of the best AoE attacks in the game. It is at a slight disadvantage versus full tree Infiltration in extended engagements since it has less ability to repeatedly burst without exiting combat, but gains more utility and keeps all of the murdering goodness in short fights.

Burst is king in PVP and either Waka or full tree have the best burst. Waka has less telegraphed burst and more utility, so I'd say it's a superior spec overall.
i'm not so sure about this since burst can easily be countered with guards/taunts/bubbles/def cd.

Gondolindhrim's Avatar


Gondolindhrim
04.26.2013 , 07:32 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Horkey View Post
i'm not so sure about this since burst can easily be countered with guards/taunts/bubbles/def cd.
The point being? That statement, while true, applies to every AC and spec. The fact that burst can be mitigated by good communication, reactions and combat tactics does not make it useless. Besides, if anything, Wakajinn 2.0 is harder to counter than full Infiltration since the burst damage is less predictable and requires no setup other than Spinning Kick.
Rheiya | Fyrellis | Kayleen | Adelynn | ydis | Hailey | Lyell | Leonyra
Freiya | Zeyus | Ivaadi | Ellyxia | Shyala | Sugarberry | Ylvie| Syeeda

Mordarion's Avatar


Mordarion
04.28.2013 , 04:28 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Moonheart_S View Post
Si if I had to make an hybrid build that raise to 24 in kinetic tree, I'll push it to 27 anytime without a doubt, like this: 27/7/12
Would you mind checking your link?

I see the 24/7/15 build instead of the 27/7/12 build. Thanks !!
<Rapid Serenity>... on Darth Malgus

Atownarmy's Avatar


Atownarmy
04.28.2013 , 04:36 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by RodneyMcNeely View Post
I'm running 37/2/7 for 1v1 and going for as much DPS gear as I can manage while still maintaining as much survivability as I can.

How viable is full Kinetic Combat in DPS gear these days in a 1-on-1 fight?
Its still very good, at least above average. Against most buildsr of about equal gear you should be able to win, you just have so much utility. But if youre used to playing in full infil, you wont be that good. It will be a step down but you should feel pretty comfortable sitting in a huttball endzone if you want to pull people rezzing.

edit: I would note, still use a shield. full tank spec in DPS gear benefits more from a shield with DPS mod and enhancement more than a Focus, so you can have a more beneficial kinetic ward.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
Ebon Hawk | Legionnaire | International Guild

Kutsmuffin's Avatar


Kutsmuffin
04.28.2013 , 10:47 AM | #40
I'm kind of surprised not to see 33/11/2 or so for node guarding builds. Has anyone tried a blackout tank build?
Steeple of Prophecy of the Five
------------->Youtube<-------------
-Formerly Envii of Anchorhead-