Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What I have learned from not playing the game for a couple months

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What I have learned from not playing the game for a couple months

jedimasterjac
05.24.2019 , 11:41 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by decicco View Post
Convenient as the next time I am scheduled to be billed is June 3rd.

Considering my mounting frustrations with the game, I will not be playing the 5.10.3 update and cancelling my subscription.
Oh my. You're right!

BioWare was monitoring your account, and they made sure to put the release date exactly one day after your subscription renewed.

It's a deliberate ploy to keep you here, because your subscription that you're holding ransom is the most important one.

What's your purpose in writing this? Like, is it just attention? You don't need to announce you're unsubscribing to the game.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

AlaricSevGirl
05.24.2019 , 12:57 PM | #22
I log in occasionally but there are so many better games out to play. I probably log in once a month.
GSS Legacy, StarForged
Guild Leader for Galactic Security Solutions (Pub)
Imperial Independence (Empire)

Jadescythe
05.24.2019 , 01:14 PM | #23
The only thing I've learned from my breaks was that breaks are healthy. If the game feels like a grind, then take a step back until you're excited to log in again.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

TrixxieTriss
05.24.2019 , 07:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
The only thing I've learned from my breaks was that breaks are healthy. If the game feels like a grind, then take a step back until you're excited to log in again.
And what happens when you do and nothing has changed and you log out and never come back. That isn’t healthy for the games continued future.

OlBuzzard
05.24.2019 , 07:11 PM | #25
IMO... that is one good reason to have a place to let off some steam.. A little in game R & R if you will. All work and no play ... !!

But if we don't get stuff fixed that needs fixed first the in game R & R wont amount to much ... will it ?

(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

TrixxieTriss
05.24.2019 , 07:28 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
IMO... that is one good reason to have a place to let off some steam.. A little in game R & R if you will. All work and no play ... !!

But if we don't get stuff fixed that needs fixed first the in game R & R wont amount to much ... will it ?

Correct.

Gaming is supposed to be the R & R. You shouldn’t need to stop playing because it’s not fun. When the game becomes to onerous that it feels like a second job, then the fun balance is out of tilter and needs adjusting.

Balanced Gaming = fun.
Grind = job
Bugs = frustration
Bad systems = equal boredom
When the bottom 3 outweigh the top 1 = quit game.

This is something Bioware don’t understand, especially with regards to excessive grind for the sake of grinding and not content.

LeMage
05.24.2019 , 08:13 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
WOW ! This has to be one of the most honest evaluations I've seen. You've done it without a lot of BW bashing (so to speak) .. and have presented a good clean resport without a "wall of text overload".

I personally don't do a l;ot of PvP .. mostly due to my age. I can tell everytime I come up against someone in their 20- 30's. I left that land mark behind a long, long time ago.

I don't PVP b/c I suck. I started out on a PVP server here and by Alderaan I couldn't finish a quest in a hour for dying. I know doing it right is an art (I had fun PVPing in MxO and to a lesser extend in WoW), right or wrong to me, its not NEWB 'friendly' more than its an age thing.

The PvE grind for gear and stuff to get gear parts has been a real drag ! I'm hoping that some of this can be "cleared up" and somewhat "streamlined".

Yeah This. it seems new day; same grind, different location.

Also a lot of PvE players use to enjoy a lot more time with companions. While there have been some small improvements in that area the take aways have largely overshadowed the gains.

Overall I still love the game better than WoW. I also left that game at or about the same time you did and came here. I also left here about the time I ran into some issues with Chapter IX ( think that's right). I kept my subscription going for the most part (I might have missed a month in there somewhere)... And only logged in long enough to up date stuff. I played WoW for about 1-1/2 to 2 years.

I'm just back from an 8 month break; we lost power in a tornado and when power was restored some days later, I just didn't get back to it to now. A good friend that I played with in Beta doesn't play anymore, she also made the game fun. Sometimes I like a social aspect even if I use the game as an expensive chat service. We'd sometimes spend hours chatting around Mara C until something broke out. I like TOR but sometimes its just idk...

Bottom line: You are right. While I don't expect EVERYTHING to show up in one massive update ... I do believe that it is absolutely necessary that BW gets some things right this time. And as much as I love the PvE ... I really do believe that BW needs to work on PvP concerns first. It jsut needs the most work right now !

I'd like for them to get somethings right, add some important things, fix things we've mentioned often. I don't want a PvP update, nor do I want a PvE update; but it would be nice if everyone got something they are very happy with.

What does worry me is we've stuck around during lean times, does that mean we've taught them it doesn't much matter what BW gives we'll be happy for any scraps.

(all of this is just my opinion)
The editor didn't like the way I commented. Too used to doing this in emails. Here's the at least 5 characters it demanded
--,-'-{@ RIP MxO @}--,-'-

OlBuzzard
05.24.2019 , 09:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Correct.

Gaming is supposed to be the R & R. You shouldn’t need to stop playing because it’s not fun. When the game becomes to onerous that it feels like a second job, then the fun balance is out of tilter and needs adjusting.

Balanced Gaming = fun.
Grind = job
Bugs = frustration
Bad systems = equal boredom
When the bottom 3 outweigh the top 1 = quit game.

This is something Bioware don’t understand, especially with regards to excessive grind for the sake of grinding and not content.
Well said !
I don't mind doing a little grinding (although I'm probably a little more flexable in that area than most)... but the latest grind to get scrap parts to get something else.. YIKES ! I'm already white haired .. I'd like to think I could earn enough stuff to outfit at least one character with 248 in each Republic class character I have ( 1 Smuggler / 1 JK / 1 Trooper) .. you get the idea !

OlBuzzard
05.24.2019 , 10:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by LeMage View Post
The editor didn't like the way I commented. Too used to doing this in emails. Here's the at least 5 characters it demanded
I've read all of your comments... and I agree. One item of particular interest. Have we indeed taught BW with our "faithfulness" or perhaps with our willingness to speak with respect to others and or BW representatives in a calm demeanor that's it's "OK" to ignore use as long as we keep "writting the checks" so to speak?

Trust me.. in the line if work I retired from I prefer not to use a tone that is agressive or angry. It seldom accomplishes that much. Can I go there ? Go thermal? Yes !

I don't like it though. And I like it even less being placed into a position where I think it becomes necessary to become a loud noise that needs that sort of attention. You know: " the squeaky wheel gets the grease" syndrome.

For now I will wait paitently and see what takes place. I really do believe that most of the people who are employed doing the job that BW has hired them to do are folks just like us ( well considerably younger ) .. The last thing I want is to display disrespect to them. Yet ... there is also someone at the top end of the food chain inside BW that really needs to help us .. help THEM .... help each other: get back up on our feet again.

"There are always possibilities"

Best Regards

Costello
05.24.2019 , 10:22 PM | #30
I want to love this game. Hell its Bioware (or as close as you get these days) the guys that made Dragon Age Origins, its Star Wars, its the game that 7 years ago had my Sith Warrior raising from an apprentice, forming a group of unlikely companions and raising to the position of Emperors Wrath.

But I take a break, play other games do other things, come back and find, well little reason to log in. Other games do it better. Other games offer more content and other activities are a lot less grindy.

Now fair play if it was just me, but of my guild from what I can tell no one has logged in over a year. Not one person has ever been listed on the conquest score board, there is no activity on the log even to say someone has logged into leave the dead guild. While my friend list is always 0 active players, though in either case it could be we are missing each other, its definitely a vast difference from how things once were.

Even with the new guy coming into polish up the forums, they are pretty dead. An event gets delayed and no one cares; there appears to be very little anticipation for it so when its delayed, obviously the announcement is late on a Friday, its thanks for the announcement but appears to have made very little difference to any plans people had for next week.

So you have to worry if when 6.0 does drop, the funding for it and anticipated player base is going to be so low, while those that are around so uninterested when it drops, that its going to have almost no impact on the game other than to add 4 hours of story and 400 hours of grinding for that one piece of gear you want, only knowing full well if there ever is any new content it will turn that 400 hour gear grind into a waste before there is anything new to use that gear on.