Is the server population indicator broken?

mrpayday

This server is a true joke!

and Bioware is fooling us,it`s impossible that the server indicator is on STANDARD and i am the only one on Belsavis!

and then i go to the Repubblic Fleet to find out that we are only on 25 :eek:

i pay every month like many of you in this server for what? we can`t do flashpoints,we do very few PvP

operations are impossible to start,so what is the fun about this server?

seriously Bioware should merge the asian servers in one,or allow us to transfer somewhere else.

That seems the case. Sorry, I meant to post in here before but it would have ended up being a long-winded rant involving a long list of complaints but... yeah, I can confirm it for you that at times we get "Standard" and our population for both factions barely registers over 200. For the 50s numbers you will be lucky to even see 30+ at any given time on either side... and that's usually a busy ops night.

Guys come on, it's not that bad.

The people on fleet is only an indication of the people standing around doing nothing. I don't know when you took these numbers but we have way more 50s than that online just in Dawn alone.

It'll die off in a month or two. There's only a few things that inspire a surge in population -- a big update or a recruitment initiative. F2P is the latter. The only other time I've seen a huge surge was when 1.2 was deployed -- even 1.3 was underwhelming. You eventually have people level up, hit 50, make a few alts then... promptly get bored. On top of the end-game content which, as you might see on the US servers, it gets old really quick, a poor population doesn't help in inspiring people to keep playing for the long run.

But checking the population versus Dalborra... yeah, no. Our population doesn't come close to theirs -- which makes sense, but the indicator isn't right. Doing a fleet check and starter planets check, on peak time our starter planets had a total of ~100 while fleet had 32 with ~30 50s. Theirs had 40 on fleet and 120 on Dromund Kaas alone with ~60 50s. 2 instances of operations going on with 3 instances of PvP. And server page said it was "Light" while ours was "Standard".

To reiterate (because I fear we might be getting off-topic)... population indicator is broken.

I can perceive how this is a problem -- and for people reading this and looking to role on the most populated server; pass this over and go Dalborra.

Edited by TrueNovaZero

• 2 weeks later...
I can perceive how this is a problem -- and for people reading this and looking to role on the most populated server; pass this over and go Dalborra.

Anybody reading this will likely have already noticed the lack of activity on this server's forum (compared to Dalborra) and smelled a rat. I strongly suspect that the population indicator is being deliberately manipulated to persuade new F2P players to roll on GD. There does seem to be a lot of activity on some of the starter planets so maybe the ploy is working. Judging by most of the character names, the RP rule-set isn't what attracted them.

• 2 weeks later...

THere's not a huge amount of activity here because we have our own server forum with superior functionaility, see sig.

However I do give you the naming problem. I don't know what these people hope to achieve on an RP server with such ridiculous names but they're going to have a pretty lonely time of it.

• 3 weeks later...

The population status is counted as percentages of the total server slots taken.

Let's say that Gav has 100 player slots. That means that 100 people can be online at the same time. If there's only 40 people on, it will be Standard Population.

However, Dalborra has 1000 player slots. If there's 250 players on, it says it's Light Population.

So the status actually tells you what % of the server slots are occupied, not how many people are online.

The reason RP servers have less player slots, is because RP is nowhere near as popular as PvE and PvP, so EAware did not want to spend the same amount of money for something they did not need. Even as the current status is, you barely have any players on Gav, which means it was an accurate prediction.

The population status is counted as percentages of the total server slots taken.

Let's say that Gav has 100 player slots. That means that 100 people can be online at the same time. If there's only 40 people on, it will be Standard Population.

However, Dalborra has 1000 player slots. If there's 250 players on, it says it's Light Population.

So the status actually tells you what % of the server slots are occupied, not how many people are online.

The reason RP servers have less player slots, is because RP is nowhere near as popular as PvE and PvP, so EAware did not want to spend the same amount of money for something they did not need. Even as the current status is, you barely have any players on Gav, which means it was an accurate prediction.

So that's how it works? Interesting - thanks for the info. However, I have to agree with Ailie - the community may be small but it's good, and I'd rather keep it that way. Quality over quantity, and the numbers are more than adequate for me. It's a good server and I really hope BW do not merge it with the other APAC servers.

Edited by craic_fox

Sounds correct, but... has this actually been put up somewhere or...?

There have been quite a few players on when I have been playing recently. Admittedly not on hoth or the later levels but questing in the newby areas is quite busy.

Are you saying that the other APAC server is busier?

Yes, quite easily. Actually to be accurate, Dalborra is. Master D seems about the same as us if not worst off in regard to population.