Was Vader overrated? Why and Who's better?

Ensquire

I'm saying yes, mostly because i lost all respect for the character during episodes 2-3.

Reven would have taken Vader to school.

Reven won and ended the Mandolian Wars, discovered an ancient race of fish people and the star forge, and went to war with the republic. Had he not lost his memory when malak betrayed him. The republic would have most likely lost the war. but as it stands even when he lost his memory he still kicked ***

Drath Scion

Exar Kun

Yoda

All could tool vader

Edited by Ensquire

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying yes, mostly because i lost all respect for the character during episodes 2-3.

Reven won and ended the Mandolian Wars, discovered an ancient race of fish people and the star forge, and went to war with the republic. Had he not lost his memory when malak betrayed him. The republic would have most likely lost the war. but as it stands even when he lost his memory he still kicked ***

Drath Scion

Exar Kun

Yoda

All could tool vader

You really don't know much else about Star Wars, do you?

Vaders Greatest Accomplishment was the destruction of the Jedi Order on corrusant. Some say he killed hundreds of Jedi masters, but this is in fact false.

Jedi Gate Mater Jurrak was slain by Vader by surprise. When Anaken asked Jurrak where Shakk ti was, Jurrak told him she was in meditation, anaken slayed him. Giving the jedi no chance to defend himself.

Vader then killed the librarian Jocasta Nu by surprise, as she was giving him access to communication room. She barley had time to ignite her lightsaber.

The clone army meanwhile went into the foray and went to battle against the jedi. Then the clone army made there way to the High counsel chambers to clear out the remaining Jedi. (I’d imagine this is where the most powerful of the jedi where in the “High counsel chamber” however this is only speculation on my part)

Some Jedi students ambush Vader and his forces (I suggest they’re students because vader uses the force to use a statue to crush them and any Jedi of worth is not going to get crushed by a statue.)

Then he gets on a anti air craft gun and gun’s down some Jedi interceptors

Serra Keto’s a young jedi who used duel light sabers, her and Vader squared off and she almost had his head, but all in all Vader was a superior in the dance of light sabers.

Then he went and fought Jedi Drallig who was protecting some children padawans.

Then he goes and murders some children in cold blood.

Shaak ti was able to match Vader skills but was more concerned about getting the remaining survivors to safety then dueling him. So she disorientated the great **** lord and escape. (Force Unleashed, it can be interpreted that by sending Starkiller to defeat Shaak ti, he was afraid to fight her himself)

So the fall of the Jedi Temple… How is this an ACCOMPLISHMENT?!? The guy surprises the jedi, betrays them, and fights one jedi of worth who has some basic idea of lightsaber combat, and THAT’S IT? How are all you faboy in love with this guy? He a child killer, that’s it…

Edited by Ensquire

As long as Lucas says his creation is better then anyone else's.. Vader wins.

He will never let his own iconic character be overshadowed by someone at Bioware's creation.

Eh... another one referencing a senile old man who directs movies from the comfort of a lawnchair, who constantly changes his films for the worse, with credibility shot in his recent bowel movement "Red Tails." He couldn't even link Obi Wan's saying "1000 generations the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic," to Palpatine's saying in the prequels, "I will not allow this Republic that has stood for a thousand years to be split in two." A year is vastly different than a generation...... if he couldn't keep that consistent why are you putting any credibility in what he says, he hasn't had complete ownership of Star Wars since ESB... in his recent changes, he obviously doesn't understand the tones expressed in his movies; ask Lucas to name the Solo children... he wouldn't be able to do it Im certain... he doesn't care, he only cares about money. And if you give credibility in someone who only cares about the bottom line, then go ahead. Fyi, Luke was supposed to be a 60 year old General, and Han Solo was supposed to be a reptile.... compute that

Shaak Ti a match for Vader? HA! Thats a laugh, she was no match for him and she knew that. The only remote one who was a hope in stopping Vader's onslaught was Cin Drallig, but he got cut down anyway. Here is a list of all the jedi killed by Vader in the temple.

1. Jedi battlemaster Cin Drallig

2. Gatemaster Jurokk

3. Master Jocasta Nu

4. A group of masters(3)

5. The master who protected the holocron

6. A zabrack knight

7. Olana Chion

8. Serra Kato

9. Padawan Bene

10. Padawan Whie

11. Youngling Sors, Jeswi, Shia

There was only 8 masters at the jedi temple, the ones I listed Vader killed them(except Shaak Ti she ran away). The only one Vader didn't kill was Ali-Alann. Without Vader, the 501st would have got stomped into the ground by the jedi masters there.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The question itself is... questionable.

You can say that its all about the Midichlorian level of the person, and if I remember correctly Lucas has said Luke and Vader have the exact same Midichlorian count.

Lucas will probably never indeed let someone just override how powerful he really is with their stories.

Just before he was just annihilated by Obi-Wan Kenobi he was still ''human'' and could do some cool stuff, in the original 3 movies of course there were none of the wiring and stunts that exist in 3, but I don't think anyone wants to see Vader doing those stunts in his armor :p

But anyways- if you just put (somehow) Darth Sion versus Darth Vader... Don't know. Epic duel or just Sion leaping to Vader and slashing him in half? Questions we will never get an answer to, sadly.

Shaak Ti a match for Vader? HA! Thats a laugh, she was no match for him and she knew that. The only remote one who was a hope in stopping Vader's onslaught was Cin Drallig, but he got cut down anyway. Here is a list of all the jedi killed by Vader in the temple.

1. Jedi battlemaster Cin Drallig

2. Gatemaster Jurokk

3. Master Jocasta Nu

4. A group of masters(3)

5. The master who protected the holocron

6. A zabrack knight

7. Olana Chion

8. Serra Kato

9. Padawan Bene

10. Padawan Whie

11. Youngling Sors, Jeswi, Shia

There was only 8 masters at the jedi temple, the ones I listed Vader killed them(except Shaak Ti she ran away). The only one Vader didn't kill was Ali-Alann. Without Vader, the 501st would have got stomped into the ground by the jedi masters there.

Sara Kato was the only one out of that list worth mentioning, your list everyone he surpised except The zabrack, and i'll admit a good fight between him Sara(the three knights you refer to were only students) padawans are blaster foder, so out of that group he fought and killed two jedi knight. one on one (cin dralleg doesnt count because his student was being force choked in front of him and he was being distracted)

Edited by Ensquire

Sara Kato was the only one out of that list worth mentioning, your list everyone he surpised except The zabrack, and i'll admit a good fight between him Sara(the three knights you refer to were only students) padawans are blaster foder, so out of that group he fought and killed two jedi knight. one on one (cin dralleg doesnt count because his student was being force choked in front of him and he was being distracted)

What was Cin being distracted by? He was fighting Vader...again, the only one who was taken by surprise was the gatemaster after that the battle started and the element of surprise was gone at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrHTDkLVV0

You see it right there, I don't see him being distracted.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

What was Cin being distracted by? He was fighting Vader...again, the only one who was taken by surprise was the gatemaster after that the battle started and the element of surprise was gone at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrHTDkLVV0

You see it right there, I don't see him being distracted.

Cin drallig lasted a few seconds while Vader was force choking someone else and using 1 lightsaber rofl..Drallig doesnt stand any sort of chance here.

Eh... another one referencing a senile old man who directs movies from the comfort of a lawnchair, who constantly changes his films for the worse, with credibility shot in his recent bowel movement "Red Tails." He couldn't even link Obi Wan's saying "1000 generations the Jedi were guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic," to Palpatine's saying in the prequels, "I will not allow this Republic that has stood for a thousand years to be split in two." A year is vastly different than a generation...... if he couldn't keep that consistent why are you putting any credibility in what he says, he hasn't had complete ownership of Star Wars since ESB... in his recent changes, he obviously doesn't understand the tones expressed in his movies; ask Lucas to name the Solo children... he wouldn't be able to do it Im certain... he doesn't care, he only cares about money. And if you give credibility in someone who only cares about the bottom line, then go ahead. Fyi, Luke was supposed to be a 60 year old General, and Han Solo was supposed to be a reptile.... compute that

.........../facepalm post of the day.

Grats.

Drath Scion

Exar Kun

Yoda

All could tool vader

Learn to spell before you post..

Revan = Most overrated character in the SW universe. It took a complete mind wipe for him to become a jedi again. The Mandalorians have no big feats during the TOR era, They are also one of the most overrated characters is the SW universe, right after Revan and the Hutts.

Edited by _Zorth_

Why are you even trying to argue this? It may certainly be arguable that Vader is not the most powerful Jedi/Sith ever. Of course he was surpassed by Luke, and Yoda may have been more powerful in his prime. In the plethora of Star Wars literature that I haven't read, I'm sure there have been characters that seem more powerful, but because of games like The Force Unleashed, the Force has been perverted into a fireworks display: "well this character brought down a Star Destroyer with the force so he must be more powerful than Vader".

I don't think there's any doubt that, at least in the original trilogy (which imo should never be contradicted) and the prequel movies, Vader was always intended to be one of the most powerful Force users ever to have lived. Therefore, the answer to your question is "No", he is not overrated.

Vaders Greatest Accomplishment was the destruction of the Jedi Order on corrusant. Some say he killed hundreds of Jedi masters, but this is in fact false.

Jedi Gate Mater Jurrak was slain by Vader by surprise. When Anaken asked Jurrak where Shakk ti was, Jurrak told him she was in meditation, anaken slayed him. Giving the jedi no chance to defend himself.

Vader then killed the librarian Jocasta Nu by surprise, as she was giving him access to communication room. She barley had time to ignite her lightsaber.

The clone army meanwhile went into the foray and went to battle against the jedi. Then the clone army made there way to the High counsel chambers to clear out the remaining Jedi. (I’d imagine this is where the most powerful of the jedi where in the “High counsel chamber” however this is only speculation on my part)

Some Jedi students ambush Vader and his forces (I suggest they’re students because vader uses the force to use a statue to crush them and any Jedi of worth is not going to get crushed by a statue.)

Then he gets on a anti air craft gun and gun’s down some Jedi interceptors

Serra Keto’s a young jedi who used duel light sabers, her and Vader squared off and she almost had his head, but all in all Vader was a superior in the dance of light sabers.

Then he went and fought Jedi Drallig who was protecting some children padawans.

Then he goes and murders some children in cold blood.

Shaak ti was able to match Vader skills but was more concerned about getting the remaining survivors to safety then dueling him. So she disorientated the great **** lord and escape. (Force Unleashed, it can be interpreted that by sending Starkiller to defeat Shaak ti, he was afraid to fight her himself)

So the fall of the Jedi Temple… How is this an ACCOMPLISHMENT?!? The guy surprises the jedi, betrays them, and fights one jedi of worth who has some basic idea of lightsaber combat, and THAT’S IT? How are all you faboy in love with this guy? He a child killer, that’s it…

You should read up. "Jedi Drallig" Was actually Cin Drallig.... the battlemaster of the entire Jedi Order. >.>

Edited by JeStrickJ

In terms of story/lore Vader is just plain terrible IMHO, but Vader is one of only 4 sith that appeared in the movies so we know a lot about him. Revan on the other hand only appeares in books and video games so he is only part of the Expanded Universe, so not as well known. Vader isn't overated I think, but there are other sith that are on par and even better than Vader IMHO, and here is why.

1) Darth/Jedi Master Revan (Story/lore)

2) Darth Bane (Story/lore, Force power, physical power)

3) Darth Maul (double-bladed saber FTW!)

In terms of story/lore Vader is just plain terrible IMHO, but Vader is one of only 4 sith that appeared in the movies so we know a lot about him. Revan on the other hand only appeares in books and video games so he is only part of the Expanded Universe, so not as well known. Vader isn't overated I think, but there are other sith that are on par and even better than Vader IMHO, and here is why.

1) Darth/Jedi Master Revan (Story/lore)

2) Darth Bane (Story/lore, Force power, physical power)

3) Darth Maul (double-bladed saber FTW!)

You know with Revan, they pretty much ripped half of Vader's story right? Different way of telling it, but pretty much the same thing.

A guy becomes a jedi, then falls to the darkside, at the end he turns back to a jedi and fights in all these wars, becomes a puppet of the emperor.

Pretty much what happened to Vader, he was a jedi, fell to the darkside, becomes a puppet of the emperor, fought in two wars and at the end he become a jedi again. Pretty much it in a nutshell with that one.

As for Bane...no comment and Maul got beat in combat by Vader.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think I verbalized my point clearly, too many of those facepalms may cause that brain to rattle around in that head of yours, careful

You've done nothing but "verbalize" a fanboi rant with no facts at all. Youre woefully ignorant of lore / canon, and tbh youre insistance that youre right in the face of evidence to the contrary makes you seem even more foolish.

Edited by TKMaster

You've done nothing but "verbalize" a fanboi rant with no facts at all. Youre woefully ignorant of lore / canon, and tbh youre insistance that youre right in the face of evidence to the contrary makes you seem even more foolish.

What evidence did you provide?

I wasnt aware that i needed to when A) Anyone can look up the info. And B) Alot was already posted.

Thanks for trying.

You should when you say there is evidence. It is your civic duty to present it when people that aren't aware of it would have no idea on what to type to look it up.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by Tuscad

Vader wasn't just powerful in the force. He was the force. Star Wars is a retelling of classic mythology and Anakin was the culmination of mythological hero.

Anakin was Hercules (Heracles), with a human mother and a father that was a god. He was a half-god trying to live in a world of humans. He had the heart of a man but the power of a god. That was his place in the Star Wars universe.

No matter how powerful any other jedi or sith became in the force, they never matched Vader because Vader was the force. He was a human manifestation of the force.

He had fate on his side. He had the force on his side. He didn't survive his fight with Obi Wan because of Obi Wan's kindness or inability to kill him. Obi Wan's inability to kill him was because fate demanded it.

Even Palpatine understood this. Palpatine spent decades to make sure that force worked for him, but even he knew that he could never truly destroy Vader. That was something only Vader could do.

And in the end, that's what happened. He ultimately sacrificed himself to kill the Emperor, finally meeting his destiny.

So no. In my opinion, he wasn't over-rated. He was created by the force and fulfilled his destiny. He is the tragic hero, and the story required him to be the most powerful force user in existence.

Just my thoughts on the matter..

Edited by Vecke

Vader wasn't just powerful in the force. He was the force. Star Wars is a retelling of classic mythology and Anakin was the culmination of mythological hero.

Anakin was Hercules (Heracles), with a human mother and a father that was a god. He was a half-god trying to live in a world of humans. He had the heart of a man but the power of a god. That was his place in the Star Wars universe.

No matter how powerful any other jedi or sith became in the force, they never matched Vader because Vader was the force. He was a human manifestation of the force.

He had fate on his side. He had the force on his side. He didn't survive his fight with Obi Wan because of Obi Wan's kindness or inability to kill him. Obi Wan's inability to kill him was because fate demanded it.

Even Palpatine understood this. Palpatine spent decades to make sure that force worked for him, but even he knew that he could never truly destroy Vader. That was something only Vader could do.

And inn the end, that's what happened. He ultimately sacrificed himself to kill the Emperor, finally meeting his destiny.

So no. In my opinion, he wasn't over-rated. He was created by the force and fulfilled his destiny. He is the tragic hero, and the story required him to be the most powerful force user in existence.

Just my thoughts on the matter..

Makes perfect sense. Especially when you consider the Jedi's prophacy about the Choosen One that would bring balance to the Force.