The returning player and the future

Filipos

Hi there,

I hope that there is no such a topic. I am a returning player to SWTOR, but I still have doubts.

We know that there are rumors on the Internet regarding the future of our beloved game, namely, more and more players are leaving the game, the developers may shut down the servers, etc. I want to return to the game, I am familiar with the fact that patch 6.0 has been announced, but can we be certain that it won't be the last patch of the game? I would like to return to the game and spend more time with it, but I won't want to be surprised of the situation that I have wasted my time. Is there any information related to more patches, like 6.1, 6.2, etc or other infos saying that the game will be supported in the future. Could someone help me with an answer?

"Rumours on the Internet" is a strange way of spelling "meaningless noise".

[citation needed]

More seriously, without solid evidence to back them up, rumours on the Internet, just like rumours anywhere else, are worth more or less exactly nothing.

I wouldn't pay attention to rumours on the internet either. Or at least, not a lot of attention.

OP, the game is going to be here for a long while, definitely several years. 6.0 is incoming and supposedly the director of Bioware said 2019 is going to be the game's greatest year yet!

"In the meantime, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work on some amazing plans for the coming year, with new features and surprises that I think makes it the game’s most exciting year yet." - Casey Hudson, Bioware's general manager
Edited by Ylliarus

I am a returning player to SWTOR, but I still have doubts.

We know that there are rumors on the Internet regarding the future of our beloved game, namely, more and more players are leaving the game, the developers may shut down the servers, etc. I want to return to the game, I am familiar with the fact that patch 6.0 has been announced, but can we be certain that it won't be the last patch of the game? I would like to return to the game and spend more time with it, but I won't want to be surprised of the situation that I have wasted my time. Could someone help me with an answer?

Look at it THIS way... if/when 6.0 arrives and you enjoy it, you won't have "wasted" your time if/when they finally shut down the servers. It's a GAME, you're already "wasting your time" playing it. If you enjoy - PLAY! If you can't enjoy what you have because you're worried about how long it will last, then this game - and most interpersonal relationships - are not for you. :)

Like many others have already pointed out, its baseless rumors or click-bait content. I feel like the game has a new influx of players, which is good and hopefully we'll keep some of those up as time goes on after the last patch. And although we know very little about the expansion, we know its coming. I'd expect an announcement over at Star Wars Celebration in a few months, as far as immediate content is concerned Ossus is getting a new instanced world boss soon enough which is already available on PTS for testing purposes. Much like Yill already said I think the game has a few years ahead of itself, I believe that EA loses the license for SWTOR around 2021, or possibly 2023 if their exclusivity contract also re-worked their SWTOR license, so either way we still have a few years to enjoy the game.

I wouldn't pay attention to rumours on the internet either. Or at least, not a lot of attention.

OP, the game is going to be here for a long while, definitely several years. 6.0 is incoming and supposedly the director of Bioware said 2019 is going to be the game's greatest year yet!

LOL how's that turning out so far?

Its neither exciting or the greatest ever, in fact so far all they have done is drive folks away.

Be safe

LOL how's that turning out so far?

Its neither exciting or the greatest ever, in fact so far all they have done is drive folks away.

Be safe

2019 has just begun... we're just 22 days in into the new year. That's like telling someone who just made the first stroke in his painting "well, that doesn't look like much, does it?". They're still in their meetings, getting the budgets finalized and everything. You expected them to what, release an expansion on the 1st of January? Don't be unreasonable.

2019 has just begun... we're just 22 days in into the new year. That's like telling someone who just made the first stroke in his painting "well, that doesn't look like much, does it?". They're still in their meetings, getting the budgets finalized and everything. You expected them to what, release an expansion on the 1st of January? Don't be unreasonable.

I admire your optimism, I really do.

I've been a supporter (and Subscriber) of this game since day one, I brought over at least 30 guild mates from EQ back in the day when this adventure was really amazing but its time to put down those rose tinted spectacles and have a real look what's going on here.

There have been no replies to players concerns over the recent disastrous update, community relations are non existent and all they did over the holidays was their best impression of an ostrich.

Look deep in your heart and you will realise that 6.0 is but a distant hope and possibly years away, all they are doing is putting a carrot on a stick to keep folks in the CM store.

I cannot express how much I want this game to continue but the lack of any response over recent weeks or any clear vision for the future says everything.

I sub to a number of games, just go look at their websites and see the exciting new stuff planned not for this year but the next few months, try ESO's website for instance, I pay the same amount of money to play that game as I do SWTOR, am I getting value here?

Be safe

I've been a supporter (and Subscriber) of this game since day one, I brought over at least 30 guild mates from EQ back in the day when this adventure was really amazing but its time to put down those rose tinted spectacles and have a real look what's going on here.

There have been no replies to players concerns over the recent disastrous update, community relations are non existent and all they did over the holidays was their best impression of an ostrich.

Look deep in your heart and you will realise that 6.0 is but a distant hope and possibly years away, all they are doing is putting a carrot on a stick to keep folks in the CM store.

I cannot express how much I want this game to continue but the lack of any response over recent weeks or any clear vision for the future says everything.

I sub to a number of games, just go look at their websites and see the exciting new stuff planned not for this year but the next few months, try ESO's website for instance, I pay the same amount of money to play that game as I do SWTOR, am I getting value here?

Be safe

I'm playing ESO regularly myself and I do admit that the difference between that and SWTOR is mastodontic. But that is why I passionately believe this MMO deserves more funding, resources and manpower, because then they can start to do things they way ESO is doing.

There are many issues with SWTOR, the bugs that have been introduced with 5.10 are tremendous and definitely a severe problem. But currently their inability to quickly do stuff comes from their lack of resources and manpower. If they had more of that, the issues would have been fixed much earlier.

I definitely do see your point, I promise I am not blinded by my own optimism. The critiques you just expressed are very valid and 6.0 does feel like a carrot on a stick trying to get players to stay in the game that much longer. But if the community speaks up, if the community lets their voice be heard, I believe things can be changed :)

Be safe

You and me are in the same boat. I was a sub for 6-7 years, just recently cancelled out of disappointment and resentment built up by game design changes that make no sense to me.

That being said, I give Yll credit for at least recognizing people like you and me that present our "negative" viewpoints about the game as having opinions equally valid and worthwhile as their own.

Earlier, I felt Yll was blinded by optimism and sometimes couldn't understand the sadness and/or anger people like you and me hold for what has been done (or not done) to the game. Over time though, the last few weeks I think Yll has made a concerted effort to not take offense to our criticisms but to actually try to understand them and I believe Yll has done just this. That's hard to do so I just felt like giving credit when I think it's due.

I agree with your evaluation of the game, and I also agree with Yll that the seemingly apathetic nature of SWTOR's representatives is due to lack of resources plain and simple. That's not to say they have managed the resources they do have smartly, I don't know about that. It also doesn't excuse them from their shoddy lack of communication which has been a hallmark of theirs for years now.

As for the OP, the game aint dying, it will go on for years I am sure, and you will find plenty to do in the game still if you have not gone through all the content over the years. There's tons of stuff to do. It won't be till later that you run into much of the game most people complain about which is the 5.10 gearing etc. I'd say give it a shot, if the only concern you have is "it's dying" then that's not a reason to not play SWTOR. It's not dying, it's just not vastly populated as it once was.

Waste your time with us. We're more friendly and fun than anything on Netflix (besides Lost Kingdom and Ozarks). Game isn't going anywhere any time soon, so sit back and relax...enjoy the game while you can. In a couple months you'll feel like a seasoned veteran.

This game is likely to continue on in it's current state until one of three things happens:

1. The contract giving them the rights to produce Star Wars content ends (I think, the most likely scenario), which is a few years down the road. EA will, I'm sure, be quite happy to quit paying royalties for an IP they have done tragically little with and instead focus on their own properties, like Anthem.

OR

2. There are not enough people willing to pay real money on the Cartel Market for the latest shiny things (the only steady stream of "content" this game will get over the rest of it's lifetime). Once it quits being profitable enough, EA will absolutely 100% shut it down. The dollars coming in vs. the dollars being spent are the only reason this MMO still exists. Sadly, there are a bare bones minimum amount of dollars being invested in the game, so the amount of Cartel Market sales required to make it profitable are not a high bar to clear, and there are no end of people who are willing to fork out $50 real life dollars for a single lightsaber or mount. But when that ends, so will this game. Guaranteed.

OR

3. EA gets the rug pulled out from under them by Disney, who are definitely not happy about the way they have handled the IP. I think this is pretty unlikely, due to the red tape that would be associated with forcing them to shut down the games they have running, and development of other games in the works... but it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. It's just the least likely result, if you ask me.

So the bottom line is this: Play the game or don't. You might enjoy it for what it is, and you might not. Nothing is guaranteed in this life. Spend $15 and see what you think. If you like it, keep spending $15 and keep playing while the game is around to be played. No one can tell you anything more than that, or make any type of promise or guarantee about it further. It's pretty much on you to decide for yourself.

For those that have been here since the beginning, the complete lackluster development and semi-maintenance mode content pace is just not enough. Couple that with bugs upon bugs and many (like myself) have and will move on to other games. The population of the game currently is at it's smallest since it launched. That doesn't mean it's not playable though... just a lot tougher to find people to play it with sometimes, depending on what server you choose.

But if you are a brand new player and have not played through the class stories from Vanilla, those are still the best quality content this game has to offer. It's just that they are 7 years old now. But if you are a new player to that content, then when they went into the game doesn't matter.

EA will not be making big investments into this game. Those days are gone. They are looking forward, and this game is in sunset mode. They will add bits here and there with the hope that they will continue to profit on this title, but do not expect anything grand at this point in the game's life or I fear you are only setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Edited by PennyAnn