*SPOILER!!!* Sith Warrior Companion/Story: Choice made for you?! ***?!

Lith_Ragond

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post-betrayal, I don't think it's a bad idea to keep Quinn around and interrogate him...see what he knows about Baras and his operations. You can even have Jaesa present to act as a "lie detector" to ensure he's telling you the truth. At least, this is what I believe happened in my game.

Afterwards, I agree that it would be nice to have a choice to do something with him, but keeping him around gives you something to rub in Baras' face.

I agree narrative-wise, not having the option to kill him is rough. I mean there are many compelling arguments for NOT killing him, but another player's Sith would have just as valid reasons to want to off him.

I know people complained in beta about killing companions, but I bet there was more to the decision than just caving to some idiots. This is an MMO and thus the story is open-ended. And with the Sith Warrior being one story among eight, I think writing alternate companions to replace Quinn (and to replace all the other disliked companions like Skadge) is too tall an order. The writers probably preferred having Quinn be a requisite part of the Warrior's story for the future. They'd also probably prefer this character they spent time creating be enjoyed, and not replaced with a mute droid or merc.

If this leads to the writers spending more time polishing up a good plot than worrying about writing extra dialogue for a new comp, or finagling the story to work for people who killed and didn't kill Quinn, then I'll call it an overall good thing.

So, in the Sith Warrior story, you get Malavai Quinn right? Well, low and behold, he BETRAYS you. And what does BioWare force you to do? FORGIVE HIM and let hims till tag along. I'm sorry, but this was the first time I felt the story crafted by BW really betrayed my character. He's 100% Darkside, true blood Sith. Never made a single light choice and hit Dark 5 before hitting level 40.

I understand Quinn is a companion, and kind of a major one at that, but I sure as hell wanted to kill him! I don't care I'd be down one companion, there's no freaking way my character would allow him to live! At least give us the choice (marked EXTREMELY clearly for those "special" players) to do what we want, until that point, BW had crafted a wonderful story with plenty of choices to craft your character. Now it just feels forced. The story, dialogue, and voice acting are what set this game apart, this just broke one of those stories!

So now, to play my character how I want him to be, I've got to see if upgrading my little droid can replace Quinn as my healer. Not cool BioWare, not cool.

Same reason I can't kill

Spoiler for IA story

That ***** Kaliyo.

It blows hard though I'll agree on that.

This whole thing was one of the few disappointments I had with the story in this game. Being forced to spare Quinn totally broke my immersion in the Warrior's story and even now I can't look at him and think about it.

I blame the players more than I blame BioWare, though. There was an option to kill companions in beta... but people complained and whined like they always do. Apparently after pressing the 'Kill him/her' button they were surprised that the companion was gone forever.

This whole thing was one of the few disappointments I had with the story in this game. Being forced to spare Quinn totally broke my immersion in the Warrior's story and even now I can't look at him and think about it.

I blame the players more than I blame BioWare, though. There was an option to kill companions in beta... but people complained and whined like they always do. Apparently after pressing the 'Kill him/her' button they were surprised that the companion was gone forever.

Maybe they thought he'd come back like some Boba Fett thing.

• 1 month later...

If Bioware had chosen to design the companion system in such a way that the companion's game role could be chosen based on player desire, this would be a moot thread. Sadly, Bioware chose to make companion skills rigid and inflexible.

I have a feeling that I will end up choosing to use the droid and simply pretend Quinn doesn't exist. I do wish BIoware had been more flexible with the roles allotted to companions. I like Pierce and Vette but I'm stuck with an annoying ponce like Quinn or an annoying ninny like the droid if I need a healer.

So, in the Sith Warrior story, you get Malavai Quinn right? Well, low and behold, he BETRAYS you. And what does BioWare force you to do? FORGIVE HIM and let hims till tag along. I'm sorry, but this was the first time I felt the story crafted by BW really betrayed my character. He's 100% Darkside, true blood Sith. Never made a single light choice and hit Dark 5 before hitting level 40.

I understand Quinn is a companion, and kind of a major one at that, but I sure as hell wanted to kill him! I don't care I'd be down one companion, there's no freaking way my character would allow him to live! At least give us the choice (marked EXTREMELY clearly for those "special" players) to do what we want, until that point, BW had crafted a wonderful story with plenty of choices to craft your character. Now it just feels forced. The story, dialogue, and voice acting are what set this game apart, this just broke one of those stories!

So now, to play my character how I want him to be, I've got to see if upgrading my little droid can replace Quinn as my healer. Not cool BioWare, not cool.

It never ceases to amaze me, the superficial appreciation for the story these sorts of posts demonstrate. It's as if you can't see beyond the most simple meanings of light and dark, as if to be dark means you're nothing but a rampaging animal who can't really think, for even a moment, who the real antagonist in this situation is. Like, you just stop, right there. You don't think where you've been, what you've done, nor what you're trying to accomplish, who it is you're really trying to beat. No, you're just right there and all you can see is what is being carefully orchestrated for you to see.

Me? My warrior was pissed at BARAS after the Transponder Station. Because it was Baras who worked to weaken my warrior, to deprive her of a valuable asset, to emotionally ravage her even as she sought to defeat him. Nothing else made sense, certainly not the spew of lies that came from Quinn himself.

Seriously, anyway. You're going to buy into the idiotic rationale that he's going to support the dude who saved his job? After he's repeatedly demonstrated his tremendous regard for the Empire and then watched you become the Emperor's Wrath, seen you meet the Voice of the Emperor himself? After you've helped him recoup his name and his place, kill Broysc, even nab that silly Republic spy he's hunted for years?

It's so obvious Quinn is being coerced into acting precisely as he's acting right then. And why? Because someone wants you to be WEAKER! Quinn is a purely valuable asset, a brilliant strategist, a tactical genius. He runs and pilots your ship, your navigation, your friggin' medical bay. To deny you that asset is a pure coup on the part of your nemesis. So he does -- something -- to make Quinn take you to that Transponder Station, set you up. And maybe you die but probably not and if not you kill Quinn and lose one of your best assets. Heck, for Baras it's a total win-win either way.

And here you are, crying because you can't give Baras his win over you? You're here trying to describe why your warrior is so much more stupid than the Darth he's contending with? What sort of Wrath are you? :cool:

There's a few very specific reasons why the Devs don't really want you to kill off Quinn.

Reason #1: Killing Quinn would mean that they are gimping your character gameplay wise because you are now down 1 healer and missing 1 companion which has serious gameplay ramifications and this would definitely cause problems as many people just automatically click the darkside responses without thinking about it.

Reason #2: Killing Quinn would create problems if the Devs ever wanted to use him for a future story arc and coming up with some contrived explanation for how to replace Quinn while still being able to fit this new person into any future story arcs would be an unnecessary pain in the *** and needlessly increase their workload in the future.

Now that isn't to say that they should have let Quinn off with only a choking. There are a few more severe things they could have done like for instance cutting his arm off and then have him replace it with a robotic arm or maiming him in some way so that he can still participate in the future stories but also be sufficiently punished for his betrayal.

Since it BETA they allowed us to kill Quinn - I WANT THE VID POSTED:) - they have the ability to put that option back in.

But since we'd need a new healer that would be an issue. I suggest they just give us a companion role kit for Vette - she already uses Cunning as mainstat. Just give us the ability to swap her out as heals and dps (but not in combat). Problem solved.

Since it BETA they allowed us to kill Quinn - I WANT THE VID POSTED:) - they have the ability to put that option back in.

But since we'd need a new healer that would be an issue. I suggest they just give us a companion role kit for Vette - she already uses Cunning as mainstat. Just give us the ability to swap her out as heals and dps (but not in combat). Problem solved.

Not quite. They would actually need to give you a new companion. Remember companions aren't just used for combat they are also used for trade skill missions and other things.

Unfortunately, that part of Beta had people agreeing to the NDA. The Non-Disclosure Agreement forbade anyone from recording and posting vids online about the game itself.

because somebody like you or aka "THAT GUY" would go around killing off all their companions, the QQ to a game master about how you can't do nothing, soBW has to spoon feed and hold your hand, through out the game cause other people like you and "THAT GUY", killed off their companions, and purposely ruined an aspect of the game that was implement. If you wanted this option to stay you should have a talk with "THAT GUY" so stuff like this in the future won't happen. Thank you for playing.

This is why. From what I've heard, it was intended that you be able to kill companions or make them leave, but a brief glance around this forum tell you exactly why they didn't go with that. The level of apoplexy that would occur if people had to start over because they'd been allowed to make the game harder for themselves.... So not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
I forgave Quinn since he was my husband at that point and as much of a darksider I am, I had to forgive the man I put so much effort into getting him to admit he had feelings for me. When he asked me if I would tell the crew of his betrayal I made a comment like "I will when the time is right" and I believe Pierce knows..he made a comment about Quinn as I was raising his affection. As for the others I have no clue, haven't maxed out all my companions affection yet.

I've been going with the same justification, and I think it makes it more interesting. I've noticed a disconnect between his personalities in places; he has moments of perfectly competent ******ery (intercepting the Jedi's transmissions on Balmorra; predicting the general running on Taris), and some viciousness (threatening that underling when you first meet him, killing Broysc). And then sometimes he's ineffectual, like when he totally fails at killing you. That doesn't jive. Now, combine that with how he flusters around a flirting female Warrior, can't stand Pierce, is an *** towards Vette, etc; he's not really well integrated with your crew, right? So you can see it being read in an opposite way; namely, that he's already been ordered by Baras to spy on you and prevent you from acting against him. And because he has those orders, he tries not to integrate himself with your crew, and even not with you, because emotional attachment will compromise his orders. (Obviously if you romance him as a female PC, this fails, and if you're friendly with him as a male PC it also fails.) So now he likes you anyway, but he's still duty-bound. The only solution? To do a half-assed job.

Now, if only we had a direct follow-up quest to this one where you can ask him about his motivations, he explains them to you, and you can have more decision points about what to do. Because right now, it ends, it basically doesn't come up again, and there's no feeling of closure to the event.

This is what I figured.

Quinn and my SW didn't get along super well, as my SW was a light side who basically took every opportunity to tell imperial command to get ****ed, but I talked with the guy. I saw what he was capable of. Saw how good he was at reading people. And I know he knows what I'm capable of--I've brought him along on the more challenging missions because of his abilities to keep me moving.

So I know Quinn is a tactical and strategic genius who is capable of extreme and pointed viciousness.

Quinn knows I'm an engine of pure destruction made flesh.

Quinn puts himself directly in front of me with two ****** droids? He insists he goes with me? This wasn't a trap. This was suicide. There's no way he could have expected this to work.

No, I know Quinn, and if Quinn had wanted me dead he would have let me go with other companions, he would have insisted on staying behind, and he would have had that station rigged to blow. At the very least he wouldn't have stood two feet in front of me talking about his betrayal and would have had something better than two droids who aren't even very good.

Quinn never wanted me dead. Quinn just had a job to do, and he couldn't not do it.

I was basically just like, nah bro, it's cool. I'm gonna go kill Baras now. You down?

In early builds of beta it was possible to kill companions but Bioware removed it because dark side players were who killed every NPC it was possible to kill were complaining they didn't have any companions.

They could easily have allowed to hire generic mercenary companions with no specific storylines attached to them to replace the ones you killed. Sure, some people would miss out on some companion storylines but that's their own fault. Choices and consequences are important...

They could easily have allowed to hire generic mercenary companions with no specific storylines attached to them to replace the ones you killed. Sure, some people would miss out on some companion storylines but that's their own fault. Choices and consequences are important...

Yeah but it seems a lot of gamers lately don't want to take responsibility for their actions and want everything handed to them (mostly the WoW community) so I'm sure the same would happen here. "Omg I didn't mean to kill him I misclicked QQ BW fix it nao!"

Yes but the crying and whining from those who chose to kill Quinn would fill pages. Alot of gamer nowadays would kill Quinn then whine about how they are down a healer and they really didnt mean to do it.

Yes but the crying and whining from those who chose to kill Quinn would fill pages. Alot of gamer nowadays would kill Quinn then whine about how they are down a healer and they really didnt mean to do it.

I know what you mean. Some people can't accept responsibility for their own actions. It would be nice if the option was there, but you're right. The amount of griping, b**ching, moaning, and complaining would be insane. Personally, I never used him with my Juggernaut. My honey Vette was all the combat support I needed. :D

I know what you mean. Some people can't accept responsibility for their own actions. It would be nice if the option was there, but you're right. The amount of griping, b**ching, moaning, and complaining would be insane. Personally, I never used him with my Juggernaut. My honey Vette was all the combat support I needed. :D

I tended to use Jaesa with my Juggy but with my Marauder I used Quinn a lot.

Bioware didn't design the companion system to allow players the freedom to make Big Choices for the sake of story. Early iterations of the companion system allowed for equipping of companion abilities via kits, so you could equip an AOE kit, a single target DPS kit, or a healer kit on any companion. With that system, the option to be able to kill companions made sense. You could kill a companion and not have your PvE adversely affected.

Bioware apparently had a testing group that thought the companion kits were lulzy, and so Bioware decided to change companion abilities to their current form. The result was that story decisions allowing you to kill your companion meant that you would find yourself at a disadvantage in PvE gameplay if you chose to kill a companion.

So, players made story choices without realizing that those choices would have a deleterious effect on their gameplay experience. It was probably cheaper/easier for Biowar to remove the dialogue trees that led to <Kill Him/Her/It> than it was to re-design the companion system to allow players to choose which abilities to give their companions.

The situation had very little to do with players whining and more to do with some questionable design decision by Bioware. It more or less is another datum indicating that Bioware is very much a single-player RPG company and is completely clueless about how to design for an MMO.

What I found annoying about this was that nothing you do beforehand changes this.

So its not just that choice thats made for you but all the previous choices are worthless. Yes Quinn I will help you with that promotions, yes Quinn I will let you go on secret missions, Yes Quinn I will tell Vette to shut up, Yes Quinn I will allow you to kill the person that ruined your Career. Yes Quinn Baras did just try and blow us up in a trap, Yes Quinn that was Baras Apprentice that put you in med bay, don't worry I saved you and knocked him to his death. Yes Quinn I have fought beside you in the name of the true emporer killing people to stop them from killing you.

Whats that you are still going to betray me despite having pledged yourself to my legacy and having 10,000 affection. That makes no sence what so ever. The story should never have gone down that path if you had a high enough effection with Quinn, but instead its forced down a path of betrayal where you had no choice to do anything about it and let him back into the fold.

Though don't get me wrong, even a dark 5 scumbag would regret killing his only medic. Specially when new content comes out for solo play and you are forced to use a tank or a dps both of which the warrior can do while the one thing he can't replace is the healer.