Solo'ing not viable IA:Sniper

Raiive

Hello, currently I'm a level 32 sniper. However I'm finding that (compared to the BH) soloing is a lot harder, sometimes impossible.

This comes as a great disappointment to me as i like the class type. I feel the Sniper does not do nearly enough damage, while taking too much. Moreover the companions do not migate / deal out enough damage to offset the weaknesses of the sniper in PVE.

Playing through a BH on beta I had a blast, leveled quick and completed everything solo ( bosses, elites) I died a few times on occasion, but with tactics and planning always came out on top.

However with the IA, on multiple occasions I've found myself dying to the same elite multiple times (using stims & medpacks) Finally having to call on guildies to help me out. Not only is the IA harder to play but some of the missions are impossible to complete solo (at a level of progression).

This leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. At this stage in completion I have two companions, A tanky dps Kaliyo, and a dpsy vector. No heals. For such a squishy class I was thoroughly surprised & disappointed my 2nd companion did not have any heals.

This set of companions would work , however the sniper does not do enough damage to kill mobs before they kill you (and your companions). This becomes exceedingly frustrating while in pve. After every fight with a normal mob having to dismiss/recall my companion then use my personal heal. Thus significantly slowing my leveling time & the flow of gameplay.

Gameplay example: TARIS

Next I'd like to discuss a questing irk I have with the sniper. Upon arriving in Taris with a guildmate (playing a BH Merc) We both had class quests. He finished his in about 20 minutes, a short quest close to the point of arrival. Thus allowing him to take side quests quickly.

However with the Sniper, I've been strung along a series of quests taking me over ALMOST THE WHOLE PLANET. I've been on this quest for over 2 HOURS. I STILL CANNOT TAKE ANY SIDE QUESTS. This marathon, having me travel from bottom to top & back again, fight through mobs for 20 minutes just to get into an instance is single-handedly the most rage inducing quest I've encountered so far. My friend is mowing through the side quests of the planet while I'm stuck on this wild goose chase, which comes with very imbalanced rewards.

To anyone reading this considering playing a sniper! If you like dying / grinding this class is for you. However if you don't have a play-partner I'd strongly suggest picking another class.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never failed to do a solo quest as a 36 sniper, and whats this nonsense about not being able to pick up sidequests because of classquests...?.

i will admit however that ive seen powertech's do what i do with more ease. but thats about it.

Edited by SacredDarksoul

So far I've had almost no issues soloing. The only hiccup I had was on the Heroic 2+ Black Talon, when you are about to leave the Imperial Fleet. Even then, at level 11, I managed to solo the entire thing up to the main boss, but was unable to take her down.

I think IA is a "good things come to those who wait" class, meaning it may be rough in the beginning and middle, but once you are able to take all the skills you need for your spec, you should start to see some serious results.

I welcome a challenge!

It appears that some classes are running through the opponents faster than us, but im having fun regardless. Not had any huge issues with mobs either, sure, iv died a few times thou. Wold not of been terrible if kaylio had a little more damage in her however. She works terrific as a bullet magnet!

My sniper is lvl 34 and has no issue soloing. With that said I think Kaliyo is a bit squishy from 25 on and i am not a fan of the bug boy so I stick with Kaliyo. I do however typically out level the planets I am leveling on but not usually by much.

Do other classes have an easier time soloing? Probably, we have no healing and are very squishy with an equally squishy tank companion. I set up my pulls carefully, if I miss pull or get adds things can get hairy but I can survive most of the time even if kaliyo does a face plant.

I would like to see Kaliyo get a buff in her ability to absorb damage and this would fix many of my current concerns.

Edit: as far as the quest example the class quests should take you from quest "hub" to quest "hub". You should find that if done correctly the class quest and the side quests in a given hub should line up many times you will plow through class quests and side quests in the same area or very near to them. Turn in a class quest phase as you turn in the side quests in the area and they move you along to the next hub. I have never had an example of not getting side quests because of my class quest, they are designed to work together. If you are out of synch it probably means you missed a quest hub.

Edited by Chillwolf

I have had a few issues but mostly from me not seeing whats around before I attack or my personal favorite (which is not quest related) groups spawning on top of you. Patience is a virtue for a sniper. We are the ones that calculate everything and execute perfectly. Also If I need a level I hope in my ship and do a space mission or two. I have done three space missions and have gained 2 and half levels :)

I think you don't know what you're doing then.

I almost literally drop nukes on everything I fight, and have been able to solo everything minus "Heroic 4 Group" quests - and I don't NEED to be healed.

I just don't think you know what you're doing, lol.

Edited by Mackuss

I soloed a Sniper in beta to 30 twice with no problems at all. I'm at 15 now in live and still no problems.

Have you been spreading your skill points evenly across all the skill trees by chance? If so, might want to respec and concentrate in one. Being too evenly spread killed me playing a troll hunter in WoW, and I've seen a few folks trying in in TOR.

as so many have said about the original poster not being able to play, i may fall in that category somewhat, as I immediately untrack heroic 2 & 4 and continue on. after the first planet i have a hard time making the H2's time efficient so i only do them if i see someone in chat asking for more people.

as far as side questing, I am finding the class quest works pretty good. the class quest takes you through each area SO you can pick up the side quests and do them on the way. i have no issues with running around because most of the time there is more then 3 quest per area.

I do have to heal after almost every pull cause the female is very squishy, and nearly always dies on gold pulls with all CDs used. I havent played any other classes past 10ish so I dont know how it compares. in H4s and FPs i do notice that i have to self heal(restore my energy) after every pull while others seem to go right to the next pull. So the healing makes it seem slow.

i agree with the suggestions to make the female companion tougher, she is supposed to be a tank..

my 2 cents.

lvl 26, on my way to tattooine for the first time.

I think you don't know what you're doing then.

I almost literally drop nukes on everything I fight, and have been able to solo everything minus "Heroic 4 Group" quests - and I don't NEED to be healed.

I just don't think you know what you're doing, lol.

....I sorta agree with this, sorry.

I've got a Sniper up to 22 and I would say that the class is less forgiving of tactical errors than many others. You can overcome this by over-leveling quests or with gear, but if you think you can just faceroll through a lvl 17 quest at 15, you're going to get smoked.

been running a gunslinger and about to change to IA after i get legacy.

currently lvl 28. I think in my total time leveling i've used abotu 10 medpacks on died while soloing 6 maybe 7 times.

at lvl 27 soloing lvl 28 elites without medpacks and compaion getting to about 30% health.

Sniper is pretty easy in solo pve, even without a companion. You can burst down a same level strong mob before it reaches you/in a few seconds at the start of the fight (counting on YOU starting the fight that is), wek mobs are nothing...snipe and 1-2 auto attacks. People say Kaliyo isn't tanky ? I dunno whats up with your companion, i am lvl 36 and she has almost 9k HP, decked her out with commendation gear i had spare and she does almost as much dmg as me.

Only thing i don't like about her is that sometimes she's quite slow to get into combat and she also sometimes just stands at the back with me shooting(still tanking a few mobs tho) but manages to maybe let 1 or 2 mobs to the sides of a pack slip thru her aggro cos she didn't jump into melee.

I dont have problems soloing but I do have problems soloing heroics 2+ (which was relatively easy with sorc or assassin). Main reason is that there is no long CC and u simply cannot survive fighting 2 elites+silver at same times. I dont mind that very much since I suppose heroics2+ supposed to be 2 players affairs. Though a bit jealous of other classes which can solo them easily

I find the sniper to be immensly satisfying. Ambush plus the insta-snipe you get from a mid-tree talent kills most weak mobs outright and strong mobs are nothing. I feel like the sniper is a what a true blaster would be like, a few quick blasts instead of literally raining blaster fire on people like Troopers and BH's

My only complaint right now is that Kaliyo is incredibly squishy for a 'tank' companion, when i fight mobs that are 2 weak and 1 strong or 2 strong mobs she either dies in the last seconds of the fight or comes out with next to no health. Elite mobs by themselves are no problem, except one on alderaan with kept one-shotting me for some odd reason