So...is sniper really that bad?

Hasmodye

Gonna have to stop you right there, broski. My main is a Carnage Marauder and I've never had trouble beating a Sniper or Gunslinger in a one-on-one fight. Never. :p Truly one of the easiest classes for me to steam roll over. Operatives and Scoundrels can be somewhat bothersome though.

The fact that you said one of the easiest to steam roll stinks of beating on rookie snipers

Even if the sniper does lose to you, he should have at the very least, made you blow ALL (and I mean all) your cooldowns and left you close to dead.

I wont say I always steam roll marauders/sentinels (there is always somebody better), but not far from it.

Lets just say that once they have "tried" to take a nibble, they don’t come back without friends

Edited by Kalliadies

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't be serious...Do you not play the Arena in WoW? LoS'ing pillars and other things is CRITICAL strategy.

If you DON'T know how to properly LoS, you lose - not win like you imply.

Your comments are so offbase they border on comical. LoS is saving you damage, saving your healer healing, and ruining the other team's opportunity. A healer staying out in the open to be hit from any enemy is laughable strategy.

If I were you, I would edit your post ASAP because it is pretty embarassing.

What game are we playing again? Oh... SwTor, not WoW. I speak from experience in this game, that most of the people relying on LoS for their defense are going to lose. If you had seen my post afterward, I agreed LoS has it's usefulness, but as the person I was replying to implied, it is not any decent substitute for stats/buffs/cd's, and it effectively removes you from being productive while running away.

I will ignore that you are simply trying to be offensive, and hopefully you will read the context of the post and discussion before you reply with another incorrect statement.

On a side note, I love when someone is losing and turns to run, leaving their team behind. Unlike many people, I do not give chase to a runner. I turn around and kill his team mates, then wait for him to decide to come back. His team usually loses.

I save my CC-shield for when I'm facing down a melee. 20 seconds of not being able to Force Choke me, then. Also, they use force camo, i instantly drop my AoE and uncover them.

A good sniper knows how to negate quite a few skills melee classes have. He doesn't *always* have them off cooldown in PvP, obviously, but if you meet a good one with all his skills up, you're going to have a heck of a time as a melee DPS.

I also have a 50 Sentinel myself, so i know all the tricks ;)

I challenge you!...to transfer to my server, level another sniper, and fight me for my pleasure!

I used to think sniper was a good counter to marauders. It is just to bad ones. Good ones tend to use all the CDs on me. I burn them down, and the next thing I know they are surviving for what seems to be forever in PvP and catch up on the health pool race. Bad ones try to run but die when I burn them down from the start.

APeckenpaugh (yellow name) wrote on the PTS:

I believe there are a couple of culprits contributing to the subpar DPS being reported in this thread.

First, for those unaware, we've identified that training dummies cannot dodge or deflect attacks, which is an issue we're working on a solution for. In the mean time however, this means Accuracy Rating is effectively not contributing to your DPS when attacking a training dummy. As this is a very common stat on Sniper and Gunslinger gear, it's likely that tests performed against training dummies will show lower DPS than other classes that rely less on Accuracy.

Additionally, we've adjusted some of our assumptions regarding how weapon damage interacts with enemy chances to dodge and deflect. In an as-of-yet-undetermined patch after 1.2, you'll see a small but noticeable damage increase to a few key attacks for Snipers and Gunslingers.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Snipers and Gunslingers are a difficult class to play. As "pure DPS" classes (like the Marauder and Sentinel), Snipers and Gunslingers require a good deal of skill to wield properly, and finding and executing a proper rotation is key to ideal resource management and damage output.

In summary, our internal tests don't support these claims, but some of that is due in part to the "real world conditions" in which these tests are conducted. Our findings are and continue to be that Snipers and Gunslingers, in the right hands, played in a real world setting are actually performing extremely well. These classes are on and beyond our targets, extremely similar in performance to Marauders and Sentinels. And for clarity, those "targets" I'm mentioning are the kill times and DPS that we aim all damage dealing specs in the game to meet (and it's the same target values for all specs).

In case anyone missed it. Taken from "1.2 Sniper DPS broken?"

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=380085&page=37

First off, thanks to a Bioware name finally acknoeledging that thread.

Secondly, I would point out that if "in summary, our internal tests don't support these claims" then why have they "adjusted some of our assumptions regarding how weapon damage interacts with enemy chances to dodge and deflect" but that would be me being picky.

Edited by Livelyhound

In an as-of-yet-undetermined patch after 1.2, you'll see a small but noticeable damage increase to a few key attacks for Snipers and Gunslingers.

This makes me curious but I wonder how noticeable. Maybe they are finally going to address some things to be tech damage rather than just weapon damage.

This makes me curious but I wonder how noticeable. Maybe they are finally going to address some things to be tech damage rather than just weapon damage.

I'm going to lean this way as well. "x's damage has been reduced by x% and is now considered a tech attack." / "x is now considered a tech attack. Its damage has been reduced by x%."

I hate to admit this, but I used to have a problem. I complained about using my sniper in PvP, and how ineffective it was.

Then this thing happened, and it's a true story. I learned to play.....

Now I'm pretty much top 1/2 in killing blows in any given game, you can actually play certain objectives if you now how to time things. If I cover mid with a smart team in huttball, I can jump down, blow my temp buffs, pick up the ball and toss it to someone on the ledge.

I can use my leg shot (this is a big one). I can use my entrench. I can use my other defensive abilities. Instead of randomly using flash bang on a ball carrier for example, I save it as a defense mechanism to escape a bad situation.

No class has greater burst damage, at least that I can see.

We do just fine in PvP as well, I also raid HM's, and I'm obviously not dragging the team down cuz we beat the enrage timers.

I must admit, it took me a while to L2P, but now that I know what I'm doing it's quite fun.