Hardmodes?

Faranell

Just wondering what kind of gear I need before I can start doing level 55 hm fps. I just dinged 55 and my gear is mostly 146 item level from buying a bunch of makeb mods. Is this good enough to start tanking hms? What about Ops?

I'm a tanked specced guardian with about 27k health atm.

On another note, how different is tanking hardmodes than regular fps. Do I need to be using CC on every pull? Marking Targets? etc..

Thanks.

There's always such a shortage of tanks you'll be given enough lee-way you'll be able to farm better gear rather quickly.

Just start queuing and get your feet wet. You'll know soon enough if that is not going to cut it.

If you have crafting alts, you can take them all the way to 450 regardless of the toon's level. (you don't have to be 50+ to take advanced training)

A cybertech can craft 66 grade mods and armorings, which should be plenty for HM fps.

tanking at 27k is doable, though you'll be somewhat squishy till at least bout 30k. expect to die someif your healer isn't geared above average and the dps isn't overgeared enough to put out the fire quick.

that being said, 27k is not horrible if you understand what you're doing. CCs do help. you might have issues with some of the bonus bosses but thats pretty much it

You should be fine. Dps are waiting a bit for a tank so they won't try to kick you because you have not more hp than they (I'm running at 33k for example), it may be a difficult and you will have to use a lot of CC, but it's doable. And since you are a tank you gonna gear up very quickly anyway.

Just wondering what kind of gear I need before I can start doing level 55 hm fps. I just dinged 55 and my gear is mostly 146 item level from buying a bunch of makeb mods. Is this good enough to start tanking hms? What about Ops?

On another note, how different is tanking hardmodes than regular fps. Do I need to be using CC on every pull? Marking Targets? etc..

Thanks.

You should be fine, especially now that many, if not most, players have run through the 55 HM FPs a bunch. Just make sure that you tell the groups you get into that you are new. Ask for explanations of boss fights. If anyone in the group gives you flak for being new ignore them. Just do your best.

Some tips:

- make sure you know where your defensive cooldowns are located on your bars and do not be afraid to use them.

- as with all flashpoints, take on the biggest baddest mob in the bunch of trash and let the DPS work their way from weakest to strongest.

- as with all tanking, situational awareness is key. Not all fights are tank and spank.

Thanks.

They drop Black Market gear, so that will give you some idea of what you should have prior to running them.

That said, for a fresh 55 they will be challenging, especially if all 4 people are fresh 55's.

You might wipe once,maybe twice, but you should be ok provided you use CC's if you need them,and your healer knows when to cleanse.

Some of the trash mobs hit pretty hard.

As long as you have 2 or 3 pieces of Basic level gear (with the rest of your gear being Campaign or Dread Guard level), you should be fine. It may be tough at first, but as you get more Basic and Elite gear, you will find it gets easier.

ETA: I'm speaking from a DPS point of view. As a tank or healer, you may find that you want better gear. I'd recommend tanks have 28k+ health. 30k or more is probably preferable though.

Edited by LostInReverie

Just wondering what kind of gear I need before I can start doing level 55 hm fps. I just dinged 55 and my gear is mostly 146 item level from buying a bunch of makeb mods. Is this good enough to start tanking hms? .

61-66 (Campaign & Basic) gear will be fine

for 58 (Makeb planetary comms) or pure 61 (Black hole/Campaign) it will be challenging but doeble if you know what to do and have a good team

It's always better to do it by the Book :-)

They are harder then sm and even then HM50s and you will not be overgeared so mistakes can lead to wipe

When you'll get sure about yourself and your team - you can sacrifice come rules for speed