PVP Damage output VS Heal

Kagumi

To all healers outside: Did you make the same experience? In the new Lv 50 brackets, where like 80% are fully or at least half PVP geared, healers got quite useless. If 2-3 people focus on one target, the only thing I can do as Healer is making 1 cast, and see the target die after instantly.

Specially those overgeared premades are a pain in the butt. They just destroy your target in less then 1,5 sec - you cannot even end the healing cast.

So I am asking: Is it still useful to play a healer nowerdays? Healers who really focus on their teams health are already screwed enough with the medal output in warzones and the valor gain in Ilum World zerg, so why even keeping a PVP healer when the damage is too high to do ANYTHING?

Don't get me wrong, I am not QQing, I just want to ask about other peoples opinion. Maybe I do something wrong.

PS: I have to add, I have almost 12% expertise rating and I am fully champion geared with my healer. I use consumables/relics like mad and try my very very best to keep people alife.

Healers are the only ones that really scale with expertise, so as people get more and more geared, healers will have an easier time. (considering both teams have the same amount)

I am playing republic and because the other team is usually 5 Sorcs, 2mercs and a jugger.. (or something similar) we had fights that lasts for ages, because no one dies.

What you are seeing is probably that they focus fire or that they aren't low lvls, so the damage seems to be higher, but it is in fact lower compared to your scaling heals. ^^

Yes, healers are very valuable still.

There is no magic that makes healers more valuable than others with more expertise. Assuming both sides know what they're doing, you basically try to kill someone in 1-2 GCDs, and that's usually too fast for a healer to get any heals in at all so it really doesn't matter if the heal would've healed for 100% of the health. This is needed precisely because heals indeed do heal for a lot of damage, so if you can't coordinate and kill someone in 1-2 GCDs then you might as well not be attacking.

There is no magic that makes healers more valuable than others with more expertise. Assuming both sides know what they're doing, you basically try to kill someone in 1-2 GCDs, and that's usually too fast for a healer to get any heals in at all so it really doesn't matter if the heal would've healed for 100% of the health. This is needed precisely because heals indeed do heal for a lot of damage, so if you can't coordinate and kill someone in 1-2 GCDs then you might as well not be attacking.

not talking about magic, I am talking about how expertise scales.

0 expertise: Say you do 100dps vs a healer that heals 100hps... if healer heals constantly his hp will stay the same.

500expertise (close to 10%): You now deal 110dps, but target only takes 90% of the dmg, so you do around 100dps still. (99dps if attack modifier from expertise is done seperate from defense modifier)

You do the same amount of damage to your target, but now he heals for 110hps because of his expertise.

The more expertise everyone gets, the stronger healers become, compared to other classes.

Simple maths.

i noticed that, the point is that healers here are not like healers in RIFT or some other games where you cast a heal and BOOM +80% health.

actually heal here is sooo nerfed even without nerfing, it's just the design.

at 50 without any pvp equipment i was hitting 2600-2700 with a crit on my heal. then now with 3 pvp items i hit 3100-3200.

it will get better but heal here is weak, you can't do much about it. not to mention that you cap max 4 medals if you are a 100% healer and do nothing else

i dont think this was not intended

its not worth to be a healer in pvp, in pve its always wanted.

the best what you can make is to make a half healer-half dps.. with some talents in healing and the rest in damage. im yet trying to figure out the best way to make it.

Edited by Akyio

0 expertise: Say you do 100dps vs a healer that heals 100hps... if healer heals constantly his hp will stay the same.

500expertise (close to 10%): You now deal 110dps, but target only takes 90% of the dmg, so you do around 100dps still. (99dps if attack modifier from expertise is done seperate from defense modifier)

You do the same amount of damage to your target, but now he heals for 110hps because of his expertise.

The more expertise everyone gets, the stronger healers become, compared to other classes.

Simple maths.

The damage from +crit +power +primary stats outstrips the HP growth easily, not to mention +crit and +surge stats and likely access to relics that boost those greatly increases the potential burst DPS a BM level character is expected to face against similar opposition. As a fresh level 50, you'd expect someone with 0 surge and low crit %, so the burst damage you might expect could be say, 5000 damage in some predefined timeframe. However, at BM level, the attack/defense cancels out on Expertise, but you'd expect BM level characters to have 30% base crit and 75% base surge, plus whatever relics they choose to use for their burst DPS. Therefore, the expected burst DPS from a BM versus BM character is far greater than 5000. If your heals don't get boosted by Expertise, it wouldn't be enough to keep up with the greater bursts.

Now you could say maybe heals overpower sustained DPS, so nobody ever drops below 100%. I've never seen any WZ that worked like this though, and I assume if it was possible to do this someone would've already done that since keeping everyone at 100% is generally a sure way of guaranteeing victory. No matter how dedicated the healers are on the other team, I still see people can dropped to the 30% range, and at that point they're definitely vulnerable to burst DPS tactics.

Healers got a 30% debuff in a BG , that's why they can't out heal bursts that well.

Even in team fights it's pretty easy to focus one down or to simply out DPS their healing with some bursts and a well placed interrupt.

The medal system suggests healers should DPS, but for that a hybrid spec works much better.

In fact as my SI I run around as DPS but it isn't uncommon that I heal 100-150k by just shielding people or tossing a heal if needed, this is when playing more team supporting.

That while pushing 300k+ damage and racking up 9-11 medals.

As healer my damage won't go above 75k and I might hit 7 medals with a lot of effort.

Most of the times a Scoundrel will stun me during a team fight while I get focused fire.

My crits hit for 4.3k with almost full champion set so yeah there you have it.

On the flip side when you got 3 healers on your team they tend to do better in a group.

Especially when you're defending notes or running with a carrier.

In the end of a line bad DPS or poor geared DPS are a joke for any healer.

You can tank them or well ignore them while you move on.

Good DPS will tear you apart and with new gear it will just be worse.

Simple maths.

Nice theorycrafting, except there are ALWAYS more dps than healers...so no healing doesn't really get stronger. The numbers might change but the actual effect is the same or perhaps even worse.

u mean its not normal 3 ppl to be able to kill healer ?

in wzs u can survive enough to get help by ur team if ur caught alone

also u can aways ask tank to use guard ull be then next to immortal

its not solo game after all

Edited by Batslav

Trauma gives a 30% healing debuff

As others have said expert gives +x% damage +x%damage reduction +x%healing buff.

As you get more pvp gear your healing gets better.

If you are healing geared people they are taking less damage.

If you have a tank who actually uses taunts and guards people take a LOT less damage.

The better geared and more organized a group is the better EVERYONE preforms especially the healer. Well played tanks and healers win fights.

The damage from +crit +power +primary stats outstrips the HP growth easily, not to mention +crit and +surge stats and likely access to relics that boost those greatly increases the potential burst DPS a BM level character is expected to face against similar opposition. As a fresh level 50, you'd expect someone with 0 surge and low crit %, so the burst damage you might expect could be say, 5000 damage in some predefined timeframe. However, at BM level, the attack/defense cancels out on Expertise, but you'd expect BM level characters to have 30% base crit and 75% base surge, plus whatever relics they choose to use for their burst DPS. Therefore, the expected burst DPS from a BM versus BM character is far greater than 5000. If your heals don't get boosted by Expertise, it wouldn't be enough to keep up with the greater bursts.

Now you could say maybe heals overpower sustained DPS, so nobody ever drops below 100%. I've never seen any WZ that worked like this though, and I assume if it was possible to do this someone would've already done that since keeping everyone at 100% is generally a sure way of guaranteeing victory. No matter how dedicated the healers are on the other team, I still see people can dropped to the 30% range, and at that point they're definitely vulnerable to burst DPS tactics.

Good point about the dps increase from stats other then expertise. I only took expertise into account in my post.

I wasn't implying that healing was in any way overpowered or that you will get 100% sustain in a warzone. Was just using sustain vs above sustain to show very clearly how the scaling worked.

And I was in a game of Civil war where none of the sides got the middle turret for around 5minutes+ though. Was a massive fight. A few people did however get bursted, but they got back in before one side got the upper hand.

As people's expertise grows, their focus fire skills presumably grow as well. (more time spent in warzones, more experienced players) but then again, tanks will probably get better at target-swapping guards, taunting etc as well.

Not sure what my point is here really, but for the OP: Healing is definitely still worth it in warzones.