New to BH and wondering

Oakstick

I have been reading a lot on PT vs Merc, and I just want clarification. Is PT a melee class? Because I recently just dropped my Sith Warrior due to I got bored with melee in pvp (always been a ranged class pvp guy) so i want to know before I hit 10 and make a wrong move if I am correct on that.

PT is a melee class with a few ranged abilities. I don't want to be "that guy," but unless you want to heal, you are going to be very disappointed in merc pvp and I would recommend if you want a ranged pvp'er to go sniper.

PT is a melee class with a few ranged abilities. I don't want to be "that guy," but unless you want to heal, you are going to be very disappointed in merc pvp and I would recommend if you want a ranged pvp'er to go sniper.

Sniper is imperial agent right? Sorry very new to the game.

Sniper is imperial agent right? Sorry very new to the game.
Correct. The other Agent Advanced Class is Operative, and unless you REALLY like healing with your PvP Wheaties, I wouldn't go with the Operative. Operative DPS is complete crap right now.

Also, the Agent class story is SO much more fun compared to the Bounty Hunter, so there's that, too.

I have been reading a lot on PT vs Merc, and I just want clarification. Is PT a melee class? Because I recently just dropped my Sith Warrior due to I got bored with melee in pvp (always been a ranged class pvp guy) so i want to know before I hit 10 and make a wrong move if I am correct on that.

In terms of melee, yes you have a few up close and personal moves. However, I use my PT to kite people all the time in the 10-30 range in PVP. I drop taunts as soon as they are off CD and peel for the healer, which being ranged and up close does this very well. It is very rare that I do not walk away from a match with less than 8 medals if not 10 or more. Out of all the tank / dps classes this one can reach out and touch some one if you know what you are doing. To say it is a "melee" class is not really accurate of what you can do. It is so much versitile than that. Because in pyro build you can still rail shot, set them on fire and do some damage from a distance. Great for things like Voidstar when popping that guy at the door, where as a melee class has to close that gap. Now some argue that you still have to get in close, but again that is only using a few of your moves. You have more flexibility in ranged and close combat with a PT than with a sniper which, to survive you need to keep people at a distance. Plus you get a harpoon which it is always fun to pull people into fires, acid, off the ledge on voidstar. I have a 50 gunslinger which is a ranged dps, but I find him more effective when I focus on things such as rooting players and battle field management rather than just aiming for the highest DPS. I usually come out as on of the top dps on my PT.

With that said, in the end it will come down to your style of game play. You have to figure out what works for you and not what others want you to play.

I have a level 50 merc specd as dps on which i pvp all the time. I can usually shell out at least 300k damage per match. So the ranged damage is just fine with the merc. The only people i cant seem to take 1v1 are the stealth smugglers (name escapes me atm) since they have a multitude of stuns. But other than that it is my favorite class to play.

I have a level 50 merc specd as dps on which i pvp all the time. I can usually shell out at least 300k damage per match. So the ranged damage is just fine with the merc. The only people i cant seem to take 1v1 are the stealth smugglers (name escapes me atm) since they have a multitude of stuns. But other than that it is my favorite class to play.

300k at lvl 50 is pretty bad actually

300k at lvl 50 is pretty bad actually

It depends on your team, if you have a healer that can keep you up then your number shall increase. If you have no healer then your number will come down, even more so if they have healers and you don't.

I see many posts about people bragging about their numbers, but in reality it takes a team effort to get those numbers. Too many pugs seem to forget this and go off in a heroic attempt, only to get a heroic smashing in seconds by the waiting opponents.

I agree with most of ^^. PT is still a ranged class that works well when kiting into melee (10m) range. This class is most effective when setting up rotation/procs from range then burning CD's and dps at close range. If you enjoy mobility and damage then go Powertech. If you want to sit back and nuke with little defense then go Merc. Unfortunaely at the moment the PT Pyro is the best PvP spec, hopefully this will be balanced in the new lvl cap...?