Synthweaving or Artifice?

PotseyA

Hey all,

Been doing a little looking around on this topic and can't seem to find any helpful threads.

I want to take a crew skill that in the end will increase my Willpower and endurance.

Will the mods and augs you get from Synthweaving give me the best overall Increase in a Sorcerer's Stats or will Artifice?

Or would it even be better to do BioChem to get the Reusable stims and just create a powerful willpower stim?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by PotseyA

Endgame? Synthweaving for Resolve Augments would be better than the nothing Artifice gives you, but that's pretty limited in itself. Biochem will give you reusables with greater "pwoer" to the heals and stat boosts than anything you buy from a med droid, so you might want to consider it.

Endgame? Synthweaving for Resolve Augments would be better than the nothing Artifice gives you, but that's pretty limited in itself. Biochem will give you reusables with greater "pwoer" to the heals and stat boosts than anything you buy from a med droid, so you might want to consider it

So in your opinion Dont do Either Artifice or Synthweaving?

What would you suggest would be the best crew skills for a Sorcerer then? Reasons being?

Please keep in mind im looking for the best overall Boost to my Willpower, and Endurance over other stats.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Edited by PotseyA

What would you suggest would be the best crew skills for a Sorcerer then? Reasons being?

Please keep in mind im looking for the best overall Boost to my Willpower, and Endurance over other stats.

If what you want to do is to max your willpower and endurance, then sticking with custom gear and keeping your item mods fresh to your level would be best. Item mod/custom gear tends to have higher primary stats and lower secondary stats than Artifact (purple) crafted gear, which in turn has much bigger secondary stats like crit, surge, alacrity, what have you. I've seen arguments go both ways as to which is better. Personally, I think the Artifact gear is better -- I think the big gains in secondary stats overcomes the small drops in primary stats -- but I've seen no hard evidence either way.

There are a couple of problems with sticking to purple gear, though. One is that for any one slot (head, chest, hands, etc.) the items tend to skip 6-8 levels in-between what you can craft. If you can craft something at level 23, your next highest item for that slot is likely to be level 31. The other problem is that the RE rates are ridiculously bad for learning the schematics for these, and you may have to grind through up to 3 different blue schematics and 5 different purple schematics to get the exact build you want. More often than not, you wind up settling on something that is "good enough" rather than looking for one precise build all the time.

Going with custom gear, item mods increase in stats more gradually because you get new schematics every 2-4 levels instead of every 8 levels. This keeps your gear more "up-to-date" as long as you grind out the crafting. Grinding it out is much easier as well ... for item mods, there is only 1 blue and 1 purple schematic to worry about, and they have the best (though still poor) RE rates of any gear.

If you do Artifice, you will be able to craft item mods for your sabers (hilts and crystals) as well as enhancements for any custom gear you have, weapons or armor. You will also be able to craft your focus or shield generator, depending on which you use. Since these are not custom items, they follow the more difficult RE path, resulting eventually in Artifact (purple) quality items.

The other big item mod crafting profession is Cybertech. It crafts armoring and mods. Armoring you would use in custom armor; mods go into armor as well as weapons. Cybertech also crafts earpieces.

So, if you really want to focus on maxing out your primary stats, Cybertech may have the biggest impact since armoring can go into 7 items of armor and mods can go into those 7 plus your weapon. Artifice could be good as well, but it would only affect your weapon plus one item (instead of two) for custom armor. You can get custom armor from Heroics, Flashpoints and crafted custom armor from the GTN. If you want to craft your own and have two toons, a Synthweaver and Cybertech would be able to gear you up with just about all you need except for enhancements ... with respect to your armor.

... and all that is said with respect to leveling a toon. Endgame crafting? Others may have something to say about it's value ... I think endgame crafting in SWTOR is largely worthless. Biochem for your own use, Cybertech if you are in a guild that runs the ops that will get you the item mods you can RE and learn to craft.

TL;DR: Drop SYNTHWEAVING. Get CYBERTECH. ARTIFICE goes well with Cybertech, especially if you rolled at least two force users, so, you may want to also get Artifice on an alt; or alternatively, get artifice on your main if you will get cybertech on an alt. Also, as finelinebob mentioned above, this only applies while levelling up; endgame crafting is a different story. (Only maybe if they make the 50 craftable purples at least BoL, or even maybe just flat out BoE, yeah, but until then..)

When I first started my Jedi Sage back on the game's early months, I went with SYNTHWEAVING, and I found it quite sufficient at that time, giving me up-to-date armor every once in a while - with my gear levels just having 4-8 levels difference, and my current crafted gear usually outlevelling even some of the the blue loot i get from questing at my level that time.

Then I made a Jedi Knight alt, and got ARTIFICE to feed the TWO toons with sabers and offhands. Again, artifice worked fine, as it produced 3 out of the 4 item modifications you can put on ligthsabers (color crystals, hilts, and enhancements) and the offhands i needed for myself and my first companions.

The only item modification i needed that time that ARTIFICE did not give was the mods, and by that time, I'm already getting ahead of my progression (i'm starting to greatly outlevel my story/planet), so the mods I can buy with my planet comms are already low-level for me. SO I rolled another alt with CYBERTECH to get me those mods.

Cybertech.. CYBERTECH gave me the mods that I needed for my lightsabers. And it also gave me earpieces and armoring. Then, custom gear started to become popular, with pvp shells, adaptive gear, and augment kits. Cybertech pushed my Synthweaving aside, as it provided me more up-to-date gear with only 2-4 levels of gear level difference at a time (if you have custom gear for all armor slots). But I did not give up on my synthweaving, I still levelled it up and crafted up to level 49 epics to see the difference.

So, having ALL of the THREE crafting professions for Force-users (not counting Biochem for the implants - which I also have on another alt lol), here's what I can give you:

SYNTHWEAVING: gives armor, armor shells, augments, and augment kits

ARTIFICE: gives 3 out of 4 mods for lightsabers, 1 out of 3 mods for armor, and offhands.

CYBERTECH: gives the remaining mod for lightsabers, 2 out of 2or3 mods for armor, earpieces, ~aaand grenades/ship upgrades/speeders/droid armor.

Cybertech already fills 2 of the 7 armor slots, (mod and armoring for custom wrists&waist), plus the earpiece.

Cybertech also partially fills the remaining 5 slots. (mod and armoring for custom head/chest/hands/legs/feet), plus mods for the mainhand.

Artifice will complete the partially filled 6 slots above (enhancements for the armor, and enhancements, hilts and color crystals for the mainhand), plus the offhand.

Synthweaving takes care of the armor shells, augments, and augment kits.

Synthweaving vs Artifice: Synthweaving provides armor, Artifice feeds your mainhand and offhand. Synthweaving affects more gear slots (7 versus 2) so if you have to choose beween the two to maximize your willpower, go for synthweaving. HOWEVER..

Synthweaving vs Cybertech: Both deal mostly with armor, so here's their main differences:

-SYNTHWEAVING gives armor shells, augments and augment kits; synthweaving follows the tiered/branching system in RE-ing, meaning RNG CHAOSSS T_T; and following the RE schematic discovery system, purple armor from synthweaving generate items heavy in PRESET/RANDOM secondary stats that have LOWER WILLPOWER compared to fully modded custom gear. Augments only provide small but significant Willpower boosts.

-CYBERTECH on the other hand provides the item modifications, affects more gear slots (9 gear slots versus 7, with earpieces and lightsabers), follows the linear RE system except for the earpieces so less RNG QQ, and generates items with HIGHER WILLPOWER compared to crafted purple gear. You can easily buy custom gear, and augments/augment kits are found all over the GTN. ~Aaand did I already mention that it also creates grenades/ship upgrades/speeders/droid armor? Go with CYBERTECH.

Cybertech vs Artifice: With the same points two paragraphs earlier, Cybertech. But, actually, these two professions go very well together for force users, filling all the item modifications that you need. So, you may want to also get Artifice on an alt; or alternatively, get artifice on your main IF you will get cybertech on an alt.

So my verdict as a crafting altoholic? Drop SYNTHWEAVING. Get CYBERTECH.

And as finelinebob mentioned above, this only applies while levelling up; endgame crafting is a different story. (Only maybe if they make the 50 craftable purples at least BoL, or even maybe just flat out BoE, yeah, but until then..)

Thanks for the excellent Replies guys!

tons of information in your posts, really appreciate it!

Last question! Is bichem worth it for the Implants and Stims you can get from it? or do u all suggest cybertech?

Artifice is used to make parts for Lightsabers so I wouldnt count that crew skill out if I were you especially since your an Inquisitor like me. I would use Artifice for SIth Inquisitor for both Sorcerer and Assassin with a focus on Willpower and Endurance stats. Remember even weapon augments can boost your main stats very well. My Assassins lightsaber has a Crystal that boosts its Willpower and Endurance pretty well, same with the Handle I created. All because a skill doesnt look like it will help you dont count it out compeletly. Synthweaving is more for Assassins, Warriors, Powertechs. Classes that rely more on armor than Sorcerer's do so for you thats a skill I would probably use but NOT rely on.

Thanks for the excellent Replies guys!

tons of information in your posts, really appreciate it!

Last question! Is bichem worth it for the Implants and Stims you can get from it? or do u all suggest cybertech?

Use Biochem since your a Sorcerer cybertech suits the Operative much better. Plus the Inquisitor companions are not well suited for cybertech like the Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent ones are.

Now Biochem, that's a different thing.

Biochem is always good to get on any toon, or even just on an alt; it has nice endgame perks.

If you'll be getting BOTH Biochem and Cybertech, get Biochem on your MAIN, and Cybertech on an ALT.

It won't work vice versa, as the BOP craftables from Biochems (REUSABLE adrenals/medpacks/stims/implants) FAR FAR outweigh the BOP craftables from Cybertech (reusable grenades).

But if you're going to choose ONLY one of the two.. hmm.. :(.. :confused:...

My head wants to explode, I simply can't live with NO ALTS. Sorry my mind's too altoholic to think about ONLY choosing one crew skill. :o

My two cents on the topic...

If I missed the answer to this in a previous post, I appologize.

If you are looking at having the best gear stats while leveling, I think Cybertech is the best crafting skill to have. With not to much effort, you can keep your gear with blue mods and armoring. Mods upgrade about every 2 to 4 levels while armor upgrages about every 1 to 2 levels. Make sure you also have scavenging and underworld trading to have the mats readily available.

It's easy enough to pick up Modable gear either on the Galactic Trade Network, or from a social vendor. And since gear is now adaptable, you can get the primary 5 pieces from the first Social Vendor you meet on your Capital World for pretty cheap. It may not be the most stylish, but it matters more what you put in it.

Finally, by crafting Armoring and Mods, that only leaves Enhancements to pick up either on the GTN or from Planet Comm vendors. Enhancements only cost 2 planet comms each, while Armoring usually cost 7 planet comms.

The other thing to consider is the speed at which you level. Even with just an overnight (18 - 20 hours) rest period, your XP meter should be in green for a solid 4 hours of game time. This is long enough to ding a level per day (of game play). Meaning, is it worth the time and credits to invest in grafting armor (whether from Synthweaving or Armormech) or getting 'purple' slot pieces? The difference in stats from 'purple' to 'blue' is only about 2 levels. Meaning that a blue level 32 mods is pretty equivilent to a purle level 30 mod. But the time and resources need to craft 'purples' is more than double what it takes to craft 'blues'. So, are you willing to sit still for two days while you craft 'epic' mods or are you going to continue to level your toon, at which point you should be past the level difference between the two items.

Once your reach level cap, different priorities apply.

For ease of leveling... spending more time questing, and less time crafting - go with Synthweaving. Don't bother with modable armor at all, until endgame. Spend your comms on complete weapons full of up to date mods. & rip mods from modable gear drops.

Cybertech speeders cost more than speeders from the vender- only take cybertech if you want to something radical like remod gear for T7 as a ranged DPS while leveling, for example. This was actually a lot of fun- still duoing 4 man content with my dps T7 at endgame.

Edited by Cleet_Xia

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Once again Thanks Everyone for the great responses!

Its Nice to Come back on to a forum and still see people trying to help out!

I ended up going with Biochem in the end, Definitely Do not regret my choice!

Keep the replies going if anyone has anymore input on the best Crew Skills for a Inquisitor!