HD 6850 settings

DarthPhysics

Just wondering if anyone who is playing early has had a chance to tweak settings for HD 6850 yet? I have one running on medium settings and it looks good, but occasional screen tear during clips and fast action. I have vertical syn on but that does not help. Just wondering if anyone has played with in game settings and Catalyst to get best performance.

Hi,

I would suggest you DL the latest catalyst 11.11. and take the time to fully remove previous version, to avoid any driver mess.

I played Beta on my secondary comp. with a 4890 1g with everything maxed and never experience any tearings.

A 6850 is noticably more powerfull than a 4890 by up to 25%. So my first guess is you're running on old drivers.

Post the specs of your entire machine so we can help you better.

/cheers

On a 6850 you should be running maxed out, not just medium, unless your other hardware is outdated?

I'm running a 6870, yes it's a bit faster but for this game it should provide identical visuals since the frame rate will still always be well over 30fps on the 6850.

I never experienced any tearing... I hope you get it sorted :)

My buddy is playing right now, and has the Radon HD 5970. He has the setting all the way up and is holding 60 frame rate. I asked him if I will be ok with my 5770. He said np you will fine. If you have the 6850 you will be killing it.

Maybe it's not a case of not enough GPU or having to turn things down, maybe it's the opposite. Screen tear can sometimes occur when your computer is drawing more fps than your monitor is capable of handling.

If your monitor is 70hz then it can only produce 70 fps. If it's 120hz it can only produce 120 fps. Even though your computer might be drawing 200fps.

I have this problem with my new desktop on some games when my cards are overclocked. Maybe you have too much computer for your monitor?! If this is the case, it's easy to detune the card(s) somewhat.

Just a thought, and something else to think about.

Edited by Brumphry

also I saw this pro-tip on reddit yesterday.

Ctrl-shift-F in game will bring up a small fps counter in the bottom left, if your number is green that means it is your graphics card limiting your fps, if it is red it is your CPU. This happens regardless of your system so just because it is one colour or the other it doesn't mean you need to upgrade, it's mostly just for info, and if you are getting terrible FPS it points to which would be the best to change first.

Thanks guys, I had an old driver installed, I usually keep my computer in Hibernate when not using and only received Catalyst update when I restarted. Will try Max settings when I get home tonight. Seems to be working fine after driver update. Have not really had time to tweak all my settings, built the computer back in July for this game, but have not adjusted ll the stock settings yet. I guess I need to restart or shutdown at least once a week and start playing around with settings. Happy gaming!