Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taugrim's Guide to Trooper Vanguard Mechanics and PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's Guide to Trooper Vanguard Mechanics and PVP

slwight
01.09.2012 , 07:59 PM | #21
Likewise, I was a big fan of your MASH build in Rift and ran that... really a lot of fun.

Edit: Forgot to specify which spec. This one:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGozRrRMZMsMrZb.1

Question I have is how does your PvP spec fair with PvE tanking in standard FPs/groups? I'm sure its fine with soloing/questing, but as you get into the higher FPs, would this hold it perform just as well?

Thanks and look forward to watching any updates you provide.

taugrimtaugrim
01.09.2012 , 08:52 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by slwight View Post
Likewise, I was a big fan of your MASH build in Rift and ran that... really a lot of fun.

Edit: Forgot to specify which spec. This one:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGozRrRMZMsMrZb.1
Great minds. I actually revised the spec to be 27/12/2, and I took the exact same talents as you.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

slwight
01.09.2012 , 08:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
Great minds. I actually revised the spec to be 27/12/2, and I took the exact same talents as you.
I actually copied this from your guide How does this do for PvE tanking or do you respec to pick up some of the mitigation talents for that?

taugrimtaugrim
01.09.2012 , 09:39 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by slwight View Post
I actually copied this from your guide How does this do for PvE tanking or do you respec to pick up some of the mitigation talents for that?
Oh OK.

The spec would look very different for PVE tanking, which is why I created 2 sub-sections for Specs, 1 for PVP and 1 for PVE.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Guurzak
01.09.2012 , 10:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
You specced to tier 3 of Tactics but couldn't find one point for Gut? o.O

Therealkoop
01.09.2012 , 11:35 PM | #26
I find that a heavy shield spec has the lowest dmg and the worst ammo regen unless you take the final talent.

half tactics and half assault for me, if im not playing full assault. Ionic accelerator just seems to add an incredible amount of burst and sustained damage with its ammo generation. I cant drop it and when I do I feel super, super weak.

taugrimtaugrim
01.10.2012 , 12:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Therealkoop View Post
I find that a heavy shield spec has the lowest dmg and the worst ammo regen unless you take the final talent.
It would be imbalanced if the tank spec delivered the most damage.

Quote: Originally Posted by Therealkoop View Post
half tactics and half assault for me, if im not playing full assault. Ionic accelerator just seems to add an incredible amount of burst and sustained damage with its ammo generation. I cant drop it and when I do I feel super, super weak.
Understood.

The main issue for me is that I want to find a well-rounded spec that has Guard capability, good CC, and solid DPS.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Psionic_X
01.10.2012 , 04:11 AM | #28
hey taugrim. i watched a lot of your beta videos before i started this game and they helped deciding on what i want to play.
just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work!

ps: sweltering heat is a 50% snare, not 100%

elithrar
01.10.2012 , 06:27 AM | #29
Nice work, Taugrim. Your PvP specs look solid; I agree RE: Counterattack being bad value too. If it had secondary benefit (more +def, or +shield/absorb) than the 3.8% or so mitigation it has now (for 5 points) it'd be worth another look. Energy Blast's sluggish animation also hurts it.

I run a deep Shield (to Storm) + Gut spec that's very effective. Gut is absolutely fantastic for node defense since the long DoT interrupts caps in Alderaan & VS. Wouldn't run without it.

As for PvE: 31/8/2 seems the logical spec to me. Get Power Armor and the DR talents, get Energy Blast (good in PvE), and Stockstrike +dmg from Assault. Maximise DR and your key threat gen abilities.

slwight
01.10.2012 , 11:13 AM | #30
For the Shield spec, does the speed increase from Charge! provide greater benefit than picking up 2/2 Power Armor for 2% total damage decrease?

How much survivability do you get from the Shield spec compared to an Assault/Tactics spec? Enough to make up for the "weaker" DPS?

I'm only level 25, so just looking for some experienced players input.

Thanks!