New "Very low" graphics option

verydanger

I was very much looking forward to this change. Sadly, it has no perceivable effect on my game's poor performance (FPS).

I know there's are as many hardware setups to cater to as there are game subscribers, and that performance problems can be caused by many different things. And I applaud the game developers for implementing a change that I'm sure will help some players. I just really hope this isn't the end of those efforts.

For me, none of the game settings (except shadows) seem to have much effect on my FPS. Low or High, when my screen gets filled with Force Lightnings, fires and sparkly shields my FPS plummets in the same fashion. Could we not be given a option to reduce the spell effects? It seems pretty certain that that's what is causing at least my FPS woes.

Edited by verydanger

It looks absolutely horrible and has no performance gain on Fleet. Perhaps Ilum would benefit. But then, my machine is good enough for mid to high settings. It's for people with the bare minimum spec requirement. Edited by Kourage

For me, none of the game settings (except shadows) seem to have much effect on my FPS. Low or High, when my screen gets filled with Force Lightnings, fires and sparkly shields my FPS plummets in the same fashion.

This is the part I don't understand, myself. I've fiddled with all the options quite a bit, and with the exception of throwing everything across the board to their highest settings, I see zero performance change in terms of FPS.

Edited by Dayfax

works great for me. it nearly doubled my fps in most areas but still the same in some of the more ambiance heavy areas

Awesome!

Maybe it would be helpful if people posted their hardware setup along with their experience of the new ultra low settings?

Me:

3Ghz Core2Duo, HD5750, 6Gb RAM.

No improvement in FPS (I used the lowest possible settings even before this patch)

The very low graphics option makes things quite a bit smoother for me, although I haven't checked my actual FPS numbers. I am using integrated Intel HD graphics on an i5-M450 laptop.

So we got medium, low, or even lower detail. It's about time they put the high detail textures back in (and not just medium renamed to high) :/

The problem isn't the detail level, its the engine itself. On "high" I can get 60-80fps, but seems much lower because the game just doesn't run very smoothly.

Edited by NasherUK

I was very much looking forward to this change. Sadly, it has no perceivable effect on my game's poor performance (FPS).

I know there's are as many hardware setups to cater to as there are game subscribers, and that performance problems can be caused by many different things. And I applaud the game developers for implementing a change that I'm sure will help some players. I just really hope this isn't the end of those efforts.

For me, none of the game settings (except shadows) seem to have much effect on my FPS. Low or High, when my screen gets filled with Force Lightnings, fires and sparkly shields my FPS plummets in the same fashion. Could we not be given a option to reduce the spell effects? It seems pretty certain that that's what is causing at least my FPS woes.

I switched it to very low and the fps doubled instantly, only problem was that it made characters look awful so i had to switch it back to low. If the shader complexity could be seperated for characters and the world then it would be better, i just can't have it set at very low knowing how bad the characters will look.

funny the old pc i run on from time to time (when my other pc is being used for something else) went from 5-10 fps up to 25-35 fps with the new setting. must be some other issue causing your pc to have fps problems.

I suspect, as Kourage already pointed out, that this option is mainly meant to help people with very low-end hardware.

I myself only play WZ's, and with the popularity of Sorcerors my screen is always filled with lightning effects in every direction. My FPS is fine when running around the WZ where not much is happening, even small scale combat (preferrably with no Sorcs involved...), but the game just becomes unbearable when the action heats up in my field of view. Whether I run at the High or Low graphics preset makes a neglible difference - which makes sense I guess, as none of the game's settings alter the quality of particle effects.

I have been using the tweak which involves renaming a game file and thereby making the game not render any spell effects - which makes even the most intense (8 vs 8) combat wonderfully smooth. This introduces some unpleasant sideeffects though...

Do not really know what to tell you. I was in Nar Shaadar Lower Prominade with 20 fps. Turned on the new very low setting and went from the 20 fps to 37fps. So yea its definatly helped me.

I've just taken delivery of an upgrade to my HD3850... I'll cranking my settings back tonight baby, yeah!

Well I slapped in the HD6850 and wow. I cranked everything back up to max and I could still PVP without any hardware lag or skipping.

The Belsavis Daily that sends you into a an area filled with smoke simply looks stunning. Whereas before with medium settings and teh old HD3850 my screen lagged, now it is as smoothe as a baby's bum freshly doused in Johnson's talcum powder.

I'm not cocking a snoot at those without the hardware or who cannot afford to upgrade, just stating my experience.

I have a similar problem at work where a number of departments won't upgrade their hardware but complain incessantly about poor performance. Or alternatively people who won't upgrade their software and expect IE6 to last forever :rolleyes:

I wonder if this is related to their apparent ATI bias and you will see more increases with ATI cards.

So that is why like half the thread consists of people with ATI cards complaining right?

Edited by Artthen
edited out quote of removed post

You all know what this means?

First they removed high grafic settings and renamed medium to high. So in otherwords you only have low and high.

Now they are introdusing ultra low.

This will in short time be renamed to low settings, when low settings will be renamed to medium settings.

I should work for EA, I fit right into their need of a co-worker. How to fix things without any cost.

Edited by Mamono

My bad fps in warzones keeps going on, it's been smoother but still only barely acceptable, the graphic change did absolutely nothing, it's not my computer or at least not my graphics card... I exceed every single recommended requirement so I didn't think it would solve it anyway.

Was having trouble with my pc last few weeks and finally decided to replace some of my aging parts. My CPU and vid card remained the same (Phenom II x6 1100t, GTX 460) but I changed the motherboard and ram and am getting a HUUUGE difference in fps. I had a Gigabyte GA785-US2H mobo and 4gb ddr2-800 and went to an Asus m5a97 and 8gb DDR3 1600 and my fps have literally almost doubled across the board.

I used to get like 16-25 fps on fleet, now getting like 36-60. I'm guessing the difference is the ram myself. This game seems super ram dependent and the jump from 4gb to 8gb I'm speculating as being the difference.

This is just a guess on my part, but anyway, I'm happy to see some results finally.

*Note : the 16-25 fps was on medium-ish settings. I've turned on all the settings now and it still seems to play a hell of a lot better than it did pre-upgrade.

Edited by Sethbacca

Very Low had no effect on my system.

Avg. 40-50 fps before and after.

8800gtx

Q9550 2.8ghz

4gb DDR3

Vista-32

In the nicest possible way, the problem lies with Vista. Try upgrading to Windows 7 and you'll probably find a performance boost. Don't get me wrong, I don't bash MS just for the sake of it. I used Vista at home and it was okay, but I had the system to cope with it. Vista suffers from a very large hardware footprint. Windows 7 does not.

Plus your GFX has, I *think*, only around 120 stream processors which is very low these days. My old HD3850 has 320 stream processors, and although I could run the game with max settings it struggled. PVP was impossible. I dorpped it back to medium and it was fine.

However boosting from 320 SPs to 950ish on the HD6850 is simply heavenly (although I appreciate you're an Nvidia type :p ).

Edited by QuiJonPed

I used to get like 16-25 fps on fleet, now getting like 36-60. I'm guessing the difference is the ram myself. This game seems super ram dependent and the jump from 4gb to 8gb I'm speculating as being the difference.

You've also jumped from DD2 to DDR3, not an insignificant change :p You are running a x64 bit OS though, yeah? :o

CPU cores also play a factor here too, don't forget. Upgrading from a dual core to a quad core should bring noticeable performance SW:ToR gains.

Edited by QuiJonPed

You've also jumped from DD2 to DDR3, not an insignificant change :p You are running a x64 bit OS though, yeah? :o

CPU cores also play a factor here too, don't forget. Upgrading from a dual core to a quad core should bring noticeable performance SW:ToR gains.

Yeah, it's odd, all the benchmarks I had ever seen only indicating a less than ~8% performance gain with the DDR3. Also, definite yes on the OS, Win 7 x64.