Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire are the good guys?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire are the good guys?

FlameYOL
04.13.2019 , 11:18 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
It's not a remotely comparable situation, though. Slavery is practiced extensively in the Empire, while in the Republic it is not practiced at all. Even owning the technology used in slave collars is illegal.

It's like comparing the USA in 1819 to the USA in 2019. Not every American approved of slavery back in the 18th and 19th century, and even in the present day the US has allies with unsavory human rights records, but that doesn't mean the situations are even the slightest bit equivalent.
Agreed. The Empire is built on slave-labor.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

EvanSnowWolf
04.17.2019 , 02:37 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Agreed. The Empire is built on slave-labor.
BUT Y THO?

Droiiiiidz.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

ceryxp
04.17.2019 , 02:54 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
BUT Y THO?

Droiiiiidz.
I would postulate that the Sith Code has something to do with it. Through strength I gain power; through power I gain victory. Slavery strips one of their strength and power, but stripping one of their strength and power demonstrates your own power over another.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

OldVengeance
04.17.2019 , 03:52 PM | #114
Droid also aren't real, so we don't really know for sure how practical they would be as a labor force. The Eternal Empire used mostly droid labor, and the recent state of galaxy updates suggests that the Zakuulans' cushy droid powered lifestyle was maintained by the Empire using up many resources that the average citizen was blissfully unaware of.

Ellisande
09.13.2019 , 07:38 AM | #115
Because as everyone knows, the good guys are people who keep slaves, torture, kill others, and are encouraged to engage in completely immoral activities.

Just because you call yourself good doesn't make you good. If your actions are those of an evil person then you are evil regardless of what you call yourself.

It's one thing to be a poor Imperial farmer just struggling to make end's meet and another to be a member of the Dark Council. I won't begrudge the former from bending the knee to an evil government but I will certainly for the latter.
Quote: Originally Posted by cjohnk View Post
You can't add completely arbitrary assumptions on to someone's statement. When a statement is made, take it for what it is not for what it could be if you tack on 7 more words of your own choosing.

Ardrossan
09.14.2019 , 10:43 AM | #116
The funny thing is, if you're LS V on the imperial side, you're not actually a good guy. You're making the empire smarter and more efficient, which allows its oppressive systems to continue to exist, and actually reinforces them. If you really wanted to be the good guy, you'd pick the maniacal DS options because those are the ones most likely to result in the empire being forced to change.

Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Well, the truth of the matter is that the current code is a mangled form of the original, which went "Emotion, yet peace; ignorance, yet knowledge," etc. Why they did that, I truly don't know.
You're referring to the jeedai code. I would hesitate to call it the original given they invented it after the Jedi and Sith codes irl.

This is a separate topic altogether, but the idea that this version of the jedi was better than what we ended up with doesn't make a lot of sense. Their philosophy fell apart and they went darkside the moment they were invaded by a different force-using group [the Rakata]. It worked as long as they were in isolation from the rest of the galaxy, but it didn't work that well, given that they had to build alignment prisons for people who went too far in any direction. They still had galactic domination lunatics among the jeedai, but galactic domination just meant 'a few planets in one star system.' Their code didn't suppress them like the Jedi or encourage their baser instincts like the Sith, instead it was paradoxical, so the one time they needed guidance when affected by circumstances outside their experience, it went off the rails.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

Nanoescade
10.04.2019 , 11:07 PM | #117
I RP my LS Sith Warrior as someone who genuinely believes that Force Sensitives should rule over non-Force Sensitives, but he disapproves of the pointless cruelty and infighting that plague the Sith.

GHaley
10.05.2019 , 11:50 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by SaveTheMonkeys View Post
Uhuh.
Sooo… slavery isn't inherently evil, then?
A bit late, but the Sith and Empire wholeheartedly believe in self determination. They just believe you need the strength to grasp it for yourself.

"Through victory, my chains are broken."

MadDutchman
10.07.2019 , 07:37 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by GHaley View Post
A bit late, but the Sith and Empire wholeheartedly believe in self determination. They just believe you need the strength to grasp it for yourself.

"Through victory, my chains are broken."
Except in the Empire you can be born into slavery with no possibility of self-determination.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Xilizhra
10.08.2019 , 07:45 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Except in the Empire you can be born into slavery with no possibility of self-determination.
You could. This has since been changed, with the ban on manumission being lifted and slavery as a whole being heavily deemphasized.