I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

TheBBP

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the things that this game needs, pandering to a tiny fraction of the community is not one of them. Since this is now a suggestion thread, I would suggest:

• Continuing class stories.
  • Greater guild functionality.
  • SSSP.

On this short and long list of things the game needs in the coming months.

SGR is not one of them. While I truely think it should have been included at the beginning of the game and should be added at some point since it was not in to start. It's doesn't need to be added in any short amount of time.

It needs to be done right, Not some thrown together dialogue to appease SGR couples and those that are just groupies.

Spend your BW/EA development time on current game issues and much needed content in form of long term play. Get the game running better, get the content people actually play and not some 10 secs dialogue option that fades to black and leaves the rest to imagination (which BTW is the way Hetero scenes work) -

It needs to be in game but it should have been a back burner idea slowly worked on to be right and not just thrown together.

So much else needs to be worked on in the game Vs having a 10 secs dialogue option to make SGR couples feel they got there monies worth.

Edited by Quraswren

hopefully this statement will be neutral enough so as not to lock the thread... but here we go

I think people need to keep in mind that a SGR is not necessarily homosexual... for example

if in RL you are a male and your game character is female then it might be akward if your game romance partner is male

and the reverse

If in RL you are a female and your game character is male then it might be akward if your game romance partner is female

take into consideration that there is content tied to romance all the SGR really does is let you experience all the game content

Edited by Kariella

So much else needs to be worked on in the game Vs having a 10 secs dialogue option to make SGR couples feel they got there monies worth.

there's a 491 page thread over in story & lore of people who've been waiting for this since the game launched. a few lines of dialogue may seem silly to you, but to them, it's a sign that bioware's finally starting to give them what they've been fleetingly promised for so long.

doesn't seem too unreasonable to finally throw them some bread to chew on while bioware keeps preparing the full course, y'know?

I personally don't care either way, but would like to see it added for those folks that desire it. It is a staple of Bioware and should have been in at launch.

By participating in or playing the game I think it's likely players are not forced to condone or participate in mass murder, magic use, drug use, etc...and therefore would not condone anything else added to the game just by playing it.

Folks that do take exception to this type of feature being added to the game probably should not be participating in the game anyway due to the other things that you have to participate in that would also likely be violations of a similar viewpoint.

I will say it again, as I have many times...SWTOR is not a religion, nor is it a political party. It is a mechanism for profit. Aside from breaking the law anything is game.

I don't see this is a big issue ingame.

My Imperial Agent Ursule would definitely "go" for Kaliyo because they share a lot of personality traits (lust for violence, bordeline sadism) but my Jedi Knight Loryta wouldn't go there with Kira Carsen.

As long as it's a branching option [Flirt] with my companion and that's about it then I'm fine with it.

Edited by NeuroniaSW
Miswrote

there's a 491 page thread over in story & lore of people who've been waiting for this since the game launched. a few lines of dialogue may seem silly to you, but to them, it's a sign that bioware's finally starting to give them what they've been fleetingly promised for so long.

doesn't seem too unreasonable to finally throw them some bread to chew on while bioware keeps preparing the full course, y'know?

Well I seiousely doubt what they want is some poorly thrown together content just to pander to them and shut them up.

Either do it right or don't do it at all.

Get the game working better. Get the long term content in game and as thats going on get SGR dialogue and options as a legitimate addition and not some thrown together garbage.

Anyone can make some SGR options and throw it in game. Look at the NPC thing. Might as well not put that in at all cause it's not what most SGR groups want. They want legitimate SGR companion options and dialogue.

To get it right, t takes a little more time, a little more thought to make it a decent story and merge it into the content that has a little meaning to it along with companions that actually go out in the world with you.

Throw some crappy option in there and the SGR groups will be just as pissed as if you didn't include it at all.

Fixing the game and providing long terms content for everyone should be the priority. SGR should come but not hastily.

Edited by Quraswren

On the issue of how resources would theoretically be diverted from other issues to include same gender romances with Makeb, I would have to disagree. In the main game, there are a select few encounters where you are able to engage in a romance with an NPC. They are short, generally, but some have actually developed quite nicely (as with a certain NPC in the Trooper story). What is being promised with Makeb is the same thing, but for both genders--if they are already bringing in the voice actors and coding the conversations, then it is much easier for them to simply not have to flag the conversations for both genders. The voice work is there, and the developers do not need to worry about the conversations between both genders being different. The amount of work needed for a couple encounters to integrate these romances is minuscule in the grand scale of Makeb.

As changing existing dialogue in the vanilla game with companions and NPC's, yes, that will require work. However, as stated, those are being pushed back anyway, so there is nothing to be worried about.

Edited by Ravager

There is a nearly 100 page thread on the long-ago promised hood toggle. Not a single response there. Who's gonna throw us something? 15 quid hood-down robed armor sets? Sgr is gonna be cheaper and account wide.

Of all the things that this game needs, pandering to a tiny fraction of the community is not one of them. Since this is now a suggestion thread, I would suggest:

• Continuing class stories.
  • Greater guild functionality.
  • SSSP.

The thing is, if they're already including a romancable NPC, making the romance compatible for both genders is pretty much a matter of recording a few different lines of dialogue. Given the scope of what goes into writing and planning a planet full of stories, including the option for SGRs seems pretty miniscule.

The items you're suggesting on this list are activities that would take some significant development time and probably affect a number of systems in the game. Having SGRs does not effect any of those other projects.

Well I seiousely doubt what they want is some poorly thrown together content just to pander to them and shut them up. Either do it right or don't do it at all.... ...Fixing the game and providing long terms content for everyone should be the priority. SGR should come but not hastily.

i will have to agree with you there. i'm hoping against hope that it isn't shoddily done.

on the flip side, this does represent bioware starting to make good on old promises. maybe we can get some of those promised fixes along with it.

The thing is, if they're already including a romancable NPC, making the romance compatible for both genders is pretty much a matter of recording a few different lines of dialogue. Given the scope of what goes into writing and planning a planet full of stories, including the option for SGRs seems pretty miniscule.

The items you're suggesting on this list are activities that would take some significant development time and probably affect a number of systems in the game. Having SGRs does not effect any of those other projects.

I agree. Comparing what SGR's would be in Makeb with the SSSP is an unfair comparison, IMO, as the SGR's in Makeb will be on the scale of what NPC "flirtations" are in the main game--and, if they are already coding the romance for one gender anyway, the matter of making it available to both is simple.

Simple? As in so simple they are just now being included?

Noted.

No, as in simple if they are already recording new dialogue and coding the conversations for Makeb with the knowledge that they want both genders to be able to experience the various romances. When the game came out, they clearly had not made a decision on whether to include SGR's or not.

It was stated in the beta and afterwards that they promised to include SGR's in the future, after they had already coded and recorded the vanilla game. Going back and changing the vanilla game, of course, would be difficult for the various plot flags and voice actors that would need to be returned. But that's not what they are doing.

Edited by Ravager

Honestly if they had just avoided male/female references in their VOs for the original romance option companions SGR could have been in since launch.

Kailyo calls you Agent enough times, as long as her dialogue didn't contain "Hey big boy, come over here" then SGR would have worked just fine from the beginning. A little bit of forethought on the part of their writers and this issue would be a non.

As far as SGR being included in the game... sure, why not? I'm all for my Marauder chick spending some quality time with Jaesa... and I would likewise be entertained if Torian disliked my Bounty Hunter for spurning his advances because he's no competition against Mako. Hell he's already been trying to start up a bromance since he got on board, if some people want to let him finish the job then fine.

Whatever makes the game fun for you. I do maintain that with some thought out writing from the start for the VO scripts, this wouldn't even be a discussion had there been companions of each gender flagged as romance options regardless of character gender.

Edited by Grimmig

SGR should be included. I can't see any reason why it was not included before the release besides lack of funding / money and time.

Now that SWTOR is doing so well and has millions of subscribers and is currently killing WoW they should be able to afford to record a couple of dialogues to make this happen.

Honestly if they had just avoided male/female references in their VOs for the original romance option companions SGR could have been in since launch.

Kailyo calls you Agent enough times, as long as her dialogue didn't contain "Hey big boy, come over here" then SGR would have worked just fine from the beginning. I little bit of forethought on the part of their writers and this issue would be a non.

As far as SGR being included in the game... sure, why not? I'm all for my Marauder chick spending some quality time with Jaesa... and I would likewise be entertained if Torian disliked my Bounty Hunter for spurning his advances because he's no competition against Mako. Hell he's already been trying to start up a bromance since he got on board, if some people want to let him finish the job then fine.

Whatever makes the game fun for you. I do maintain that with some thought out writing from the start for the VO scripts, this wouldn't even be a discussion had there been companions of each gender flagged as romance options regardless of character gender.

I also bet that had this been in the game from the beginning like with Dragon Age and Mass Effect then there would have been no controversy.

Kailyo calls you Agent enough times, as long as her dialogue didn't contain "Hey big boy, come over here" then SGR would have worked just fine from the beginning. A little bit of forethought on the part of their writers and this issue would be a non.

Pretty much this and what Master Nala posted above me.

Althought it may be simply a matter of getting the voice actors together for one day simply to record a "neutral gender" splice for companion dialog where things get intricate. It might sound kinda funny unless they take care, but in the grand scheme of things, the "relationship" conversations are so short that a patch job could be just as good as a ful VoiceOver.

BioWare has always been known as a very liberal game developer in this sense. They created the first homosexual Star Wars character. It came as a great shock to many that there was absolutely no option for SGR in SWTOR. I'm glad they're finally coming around to making it happen.

It's nice of EA to keep the one last vestige of what made BioWare, BioWare.

On this short and long list of things the game needs in the coming months.

SGR is not one of them. While I truely think it should have been included at the beginning of the game and should be added at some point since it was not in to start. It's doesn't need to be added in any short amount of time.

SGR has been on the horizon for a long time, it was announced months ago that SGR would be added to the game so it is not something being added in a short amount of time, the only thing that has changed recently is confirmation of when it will arrive.

Although this is only being included exclusively for Makeb, there's way too many other things that need prioritization such as space combat content, new gear artwork, the content that was promised to the Collectors Edition owners who were told & promised that the vendor would see regular updates of inventory etc...

Although this is only being included exclusively for Makeb, there's way too many other things that need prioritization such as space combat content, new gear artwork, the content that was promised to the Collectors Edition owners who were told & promised that the vendor would see regular updates of inventory etc...

The CE vendor is not a priority. As said on Dulfy.net:

Most of our development effort will focus on keeping the cartel market fresh and full of awesome stuff to purchase. That being said, I definitely have it on my to-do list to revisit these secondary vendors in the future.

Also, as explained more thoroughly on the first page, I disagree that it would divert resources from other areas of the game by adding SGR's with Makeb. If anything, it saves them effort later if they try to add SGR's into the game after Makeb launches.

Edited by Ravager